BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-04 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2587664

Subject: RE: Tri for fun - Full up, closed
Hey Team,

Got my 3 miles running in tonight.
Gotta go, talk more in the morning-maybe!

Nichi

Good job for you that got out there and did your workout!!!  You Rock!!

2010-01-04 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Binghamton
So today I joined the local YCMA hoping to swim...well went after work and it was packed!!!  Could not swim so I rode a stationary bike for 25 minutes...

I was bummed that i could not swim...i was all excited about it.  Gonna get up early and try a different one closer to work.

In regards to my bike issue...i think I am going to start off with a less expensive one and save some money...it is down to two different shops...but I am leaning towards the one that does the really detailed fit. 

2010-01-04 9:53 PM

Regular
I took my dog out for a brisk walk tonight in the dark with headlamps, does that count? I've got a long way to go, but baby steps!
2010-01-04 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2594062

Walking absolutely counts esp when it is brisk. On a long run I will do 12-13 min/mile. When brisk walking, I will do 15min/mile. I truly think that if it is walking or couching....power walking is a great stepping stone....good for getting out there!!
2010-01-04 10:30 PM

Hey Nichi
Good job for getting out there....it helps to know there are others out there doing the daily struggle to wade through domestic chores and get to the training.
Hats off to you for fitting in training AND homeschooling!!
2010-01-05 2:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Jeff,  The 1967 fastback is a beautiful car.  I would agree that it's a dream car.  I like it in red. 

Dan, I found that swimming in the morning is less crowded and you get the same people in the morning where the evening swims have a lot of different people.  I have started to swim in the morning and so far only 2 people have been in the pool with me but I think they are always there and they are very fluid and go about twice the distance that I do.  I am slow, drink a lot of water, and sink a lot! 

Suz, walking definitely does count.  As long as you are getting out there and do something.  Be careful in the dark. 

2010-01-05 5:29 AM
in reply to: #2593756

User image

Expert
mdslngr - 2010-01-04 8:11 PM davidson3, how do you like running in the stabilicers?  i have started to look at some options for running in the snow

They are good on ice, but get clogged up with snow in the deeper stuff.  Also, the screw heads have worn down a bit from running on pavement between icy/snowy spots.  I am going to try to replace some of the 'cleats', and I will pick up some YakTrax soon.  I'll let you know how it goes.

-Rob
2010-01-05 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
arny

Thanks for the inspire.  I tried to reply in your Blog but it was listed as private so it would not allow it.  Mine is open, but I will add you all as friends none-the-less. 

-Rob
2010-01-05 5:51 AM

User image

frozen north till Spring
thanks for the info

soon as  I get home from working this morning it's time to get on the bike!
2010-01-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2594062

vtgirl - 2010-01-04 9:53 PM I took my dog out for a brisk walk tonight in the dark with headlamps, does that count? I've got a long way to go, but baby steps!
'

Suz,

YES!  Doing anything is better than doing nothing!!!  Good Job!!!

Nichi
p.s.  I love to cook, too!  I try new recipes all of the time!
2010-01-05 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2591786

jslacker - 2010-01-04 3:23 AM Nichi,

Actually, Jslacker was kind of a joke.  My last name isn't slacker but I have two sisters that are just animals when it comes to training and they were giving me a hard time one Christmas and told me that I should change my screen name from Jhibler to Jslacker.  So I did as a joke and it has stuck.  I am a slacker at heart.    HA Ha!!!

I never guess age because I always get it wrong but you are only as old as you feel and if you are doing Tri's,  you are younger then most.  I would guess 29 .   HA! HA!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!CoolLaughing

I am off to the gym to get some swim time in.   
  I will be swimming this afternoon.Smile

2010-01-05 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2594304

davidson3 - 2010-01-05 5:29 AM
mdslngr - 2010-01-04 8:11 PM davidson3, how do you like running in the stabilicers?  i have started to look at some options for running in the snow

They are good on ice, but get clogged up with snow in the deeper stuff.  Also, the screw heads have worn down a bit from running on pavement between icy/snowy spots.  I am going to try to replace some of the 'cleats', and I will pick up some YakTrax soon.  I'll let you know how it goes.

-Rob

I use YakTrax.  I LOVE THEM!

Nichi
2010-01-05 8:42 AM

Regular
Can someone explain what the "inspire" is? Thanks for the tip about logging my walk. I need to start messing with the training log today to figure it out. When I start doing more serious workouts I'll be using my Garmin. That can sync up with the training log, right?

I'm slightly technologically challenged (amongst other things)!

Suz
2010-01-05 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2594024

leclerc457 - 2010-01-04 9:32 PM So today I joined the local YCMA hoping to swim...well went after work and it was packed!!!  Could not swim so I rode a stationary bike for 25 minutues... 

someone said recently, "Holy Resolutioners, Batman!!!"
2010-01-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2594646

Regular
nichip - 2010-01-05 9:43 AM

leclerc457 - 2010-01-04 9:32 PM So today I joined the local YCMA hoping to swim...well went after work and it was packed!!!  Could not swim so I rode a stationary bike for 25 minutues... 

someone said recently, "Holy Resolutioners, Batman!!!"

That's hilarious!
2010-01-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2594129

arny - 2010-01-04 10:30 PM Hey Nichi Good job for getting out there....it helps to know there are others out there doing the daily struggle to wade through domestic chores and get to the training. Hats off to you for fitting in training AND homeschooling!!

Ann

I have to check if hauling wood is on the activities listing-with the cold I have been doing a lot of that lately, too!  Thanks for the encouragement.  It is difficult for me to keep priorities straight, but I am really making an effort.  15 miles running completed toward my goal of 100 for the month!  WooHOO! 

3 minutes to schooltime!
Nichi 

2010-01-05 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2594640

vtgirl - 2010-01-05 8:42 AM Can someone explain what the "inspire" is? Thanks for the tip about logging my walk. I need to start messing with the training log today to figure it out. When I start doing more serious workouts I'll be using my Garmin. That can sync up with the training log, right? I'm slightly technologically challenged (amongst other things)! Suz

Suz,

On your training log there is an inspire button on the right side of each day.  Someone can see what you did and click on your inspire to tell you, "Way to go!"

Nichi

You might have to friend the person before they can inspire you, not sure how that part works.
2010-01-05 10:58 AM

Re: inspire...I am pretty sure that if you can view the log(ie the owner has gone into settings and made sure that their log is open to friends or possibly public(if you unclick the private box, anyone visiting the site can see all your training data). If you want only certain folks to have access to the log, you can go to "friends" on the setting button and there is a spot where you can put in the codes for the friends you want to allow access. BUT, if your log is private, you also have to click the box that unlocks your log for friends(under settings).

Awesome job to all....the energy you guys emanate is amazing. I need it trust me!

Re: wood hauling would = yard work under the training "sports"...I don't think actual wood is there...but you can add it as a personal sport...who needs wts if you have wood to lift/unstack/carry?

Hope everyone is having a great day...foggy and damp here...am trying to force myself out on the bike but will do my workout by trying to stuff our 7 ft Christmas tree into the attic first...always a real grunt but good for training!!

Re: Garmin...I have 101 and it is not "synchable"( to all the teachers out there...snicker...I do know that this is not a real word, but it works ... smiling). I think all the models after that are ... you know... synchable with the log.

Edited by arny 2010-01-05 11:06 AM
2010-01-05 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hey everyone, I finally got out for my first run of the new year this morning. Weather stunk but the run was fun.

How are you guys?
2010-01-05 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I just finished reading through all the responses over the last day. I am going to work on some responses this afternoon but until then here is the next question.

What specifically motivates you to train and compete??? HonestlyI think this is the most important question you will answer in this group. If you know what motivates you then it is easier to call on that when you feel like slleping in or not getting out the door. So be honest and specific.

Beginner triathlete had a great article about this topic a few months back. The premise was that someone said that they wanted to be in shape as motivation. Why? Well because I want to have a nice looking body. Why? Well because...... and by the end the person said "Because I wanna look good naked!" There is the specific motivation. Funnyas it may seem, There is something about feeling good about how we look and consequently how we feel.

So what motivates you???
2010-01-05 1:27 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
My #1 motivation is to finally have a rock hard stomach!#2 never be that dad watching his kids play from the couch because I was too tired to play#3 to see how far I can go

2010-01-05 1:36 PM

Simple...I want to look in the mirror and like what I see.

I am closing in on half a century old now and I am totally and completely inspired and motivated by a nun named Sister Madonna Buder. She is in her eighties and last year, she was something like one minute over the cutoff for 17hours at Ironman. This year, she made cutoff...and she looks amazing!! Not "model" amazing, but healthy amazing -- and such spirit! That is what motivates me.

Great question and easier than the last one

Ann
2010-01-05 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2590046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Tri for fun - OPEN
In a search for a bike, I would definately say that a good fit is essential. I would also look at yiour goals. Do you want to do a lot of triathlons or do you want to do more general for fun riding and other types of rides. If you want to do more triathlolns then I would definately find a used tri bike. I found a used bike for $1000 and got it fit and I love it. I continue to "customize it." For triathlons a tri bike is so nice because of the rest it provides if nothing else. I also used to have carpal tunnel issues and being up on regular bars puts my hands to sleep. aero bars do not. So for what its worth, I would find a used first bike that is specific to what you wnat to do. I also by the way use my tri bike for famaily outings etc. so you don't have to do only triathlons with it.
2010-01-05 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2590132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
davidson3 - 2010-01-02 7:45 PM

If wife and kids are off the plate as an answer, then I guess I have to go with running.  I am a total newbie to it.  Did my first 5k in 7/08, and just kept going.  The first 21 miles of my first Marathon were a total high, and the last 5.2 showed me that at 38 I can still gut it out.  I dearly want to BQ in my 40-44 window.  I think I have a 3:20 in me somewhere.

I do love Tris, but running is what really gets me going.  The swiimin' and bikin' are great for crosstraining and keeping my sore knees healthy.  I have yet to match the feeling of accomplishment with going further than I've gone before. 

Oh, and I tend to ramble in posts.  Maybe that is info you should have had before accepting me into the group.

-Rob

Rob - Ramble all you want. we'll make more :-)

Good for you on the marathon. I had a very similar experience as far as the experience and mileage. The last miles were tough but its good to know I have it in me. Swimming and biking are great cross training. Funny I notice my shoulders hurt when I don't crosstrain. Guess its motivation to keep after it.

Glad you are in the group.
2010-01-05 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2590242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
arny - 2010-01-02 10:15 PM

Hi again...thanks for keeping the group open long enough for me to squeek in.

I will introduce myself now as I truly can't think of a good answer to your question "what turns your crank". Sad to say, I haven't been asked that in a really long time...I' m on the parenting/working/training merry go round...you know how it is...

My name is Ann and I am a 46 yr old mom and nurse... husband, 2 kids(age 12 and 13) etc. I have some serious wt. issues to battle this year which make my goals of running well seem remote, but i am still working towards them.

What turns my crank...hmm...I guess I would have to say, the grind of the long stuff. Those long rides in the heat, when you take a swig from the water bottle and your eload tastes like Neocitran!(blah) Those long swims in open water where you actually slow your brain enough to watch how the sunlight makes real live rainbows underwater(awesome). And the runs that make you feel like the rest of the world stands still for you. Those are the things that keep my crank from rusting!

Great question and it definitely got me thinkin....

Nice to "meet" so many folks out there who are parenting and doing tri at the same time...I really look forward to the group chats here

Hi Ann,
I am actually in school for nursing right now.Good stuff. I love your thoughts on the long stuff. So true but it takes a lot of hard work to get past the huffing and puffing and get to a place where you can forget the pain and look around a little. Good point.

Thanks Scott!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  

of 21