BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-01-05 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2592294

User image

Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED
Great!  Glad I got in a group!

I am training for the Shamrock Marathon in VA, Beach on March 21st.  I'm daunted by the idea of it, but training is going well so far.  My first tri is scheduled for 6 weeks after the marathon, so I will have some catching up to do, especially on the bike.  Except for one cross-train day a week, I'm all running all the time right now.

Edited by aggienmmi 2010-01-05 9:44 PM

2010-01-05 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2596414

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - OPEN
Great, glad to hear that I am in! Oh and I like the sound of passing people on the run. While volunteering on River Road in 09 it was obvious who was struggling on the run, I hope that's not me b/c it looked awful.
2010-01-06 9:11 AM

User image

New York City
Hi John-

I was wondering if I could join the group. This is my third year in the sport. I have done three sprints and one olympic.

I am 45, have been active intermittently for the past several years. I am an attorney in NYC, so I work long hours.

I am married, with no kids.

This year I am going to do the Wyckoff Triathlon in June (Sprint), the NJ State Triathlon in July (Olympic), and the Mighty Hamptons (Olympic) in September. I am also going to try to do a half-marathon. I've signed up for the NYC in March. I have signed up to volunteer at the NYC Tri.

I would say my weightloss is about the same as yuours. I lost about 20 or so pounds when I started. Now, I would like to lost another 10 or 15.

Thanks.

John

2010-01-06 10:09 AM

Regular
Hi Albert,

Congrats on gearing up for IMLP! Where in Northern NJ are you? I grew up in Ho-ho-kus.

Suzanne
2010-01-06 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2597326

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Well, I did post the "Closed" sign this time.  But since I know there has been a shortage of "open" groups we'll let you in as the 11th of our 10 member group. 

Welcome, John.
2010-01-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2597970

User image

New York City
Thanks. I saw that the group was in the list of open groups, but did not see the closed sign. I'm glad to be in!

2010-01-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2597553

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Hey Suzanne! I am in Caldwell near Montclair.
2010-01-06 1:20 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

OK.  Our group of 10 11 is now set (actually 12 as I should count myself too).

Here's the run-down:

lulubug (Lisa) from Cincinnati whose very busy schedule this year includes training for IMMoo (Ironman Wisconsin)

vtgirl (Suzanne) presumably from VT getting ready to compete in her second season of sprints and perhaps an olympic/international distance

mike123705 (Mike) from Ontario (eh!) preparing for his firt tri in Vancouver on July 4th (when is Canada Day, again?)

jhogan9600 (John) from Carpenteria, CA (20 years ago, anyway) who is getting ready for his first tri on March 27th (our earliest triathlon in the group--no time to waste, John!)

triton63 (Calvin) from LaGrange, GA who has his first sprint in May and is looking at a few more plus an olympic later in the year

bikemt1 (Jerry), another Canadian, coming from an Xterra/mtn. biking background looking to tackle the roads in a half ironman in June

sbtrichick (Pamela) from Santa Barbara (likely wins the Best Weather category in our group) coming off sevral sprint races over the past two years and looking to conquer any issues in the water this year

Aubiewood (Chris) from Bham, AL (guessing this is Southerner for Birmingham--like people from the North are supposed to recognize that there are any cities in the South) who has been nudged by his Ironman brother to try a tri

aggienmmi (David) from the VA-section of D.C. who will run his first marathon this March and then roll right into a couple sprint tris and an olympic distance

Mcluvin22 (Albert) from Western New York City Northern NJ (Caldwell) who is looking to conquer the hills in Lake Placid at IMLP in July after a very full first season last year

JohnOD (John) from THE CITY who is entering his 3rd year and looking to do a sprint & some olys in addition to running an early-season half marathon

And, me, JohnnyKay (John) from Media, PA ("Everybody's Hometown"--outside Philly) and getting ready for my first Boston Marathon (maybe my last--have I mentioned how much marathons hurt!) and a 70.3 in June

Here are the rules for this group:

1. Encourage and support the other members of the group
2. Have fun

That's pretty much it. 

However, I would suggest that everyone begin using the logs to record your training.  This will help me (and others) in answering many training-related questions.  The logs also have an "Inspire me" feature.  This is where others can come to your log, see what you are doing and leave you comments--one of the more personal ways to encourage and support others on BT.  And, finally, if you know that others are seeing what you are doing, perhaps it will be a little extra motivation to keep at the training.

Also, in conjunction with using the logs, it would be useful to add everyone in the group as one of your "friends" (left side of the screen in the logs lets you do this--click on the '+' by friends and enter each of the user names listed above in this post).  This will make it convenient for you to check-in on other members.  Some do this dialy, others weekly and still others whenever they have the time.  Do what works best for you.  I will tell you that if you want to get inspires, the best way is to leave them.  Many people can't help but hit 'Reply'. 

There is no requirement for using the logs and leaving (or allowing the receipt of) inspires.  If you are here just to try to pick up some training ideas and want to limit the social aspects to this thread, that's fine.  But I do think the social aspect is a unique benefit of BT and one of the reasons I have stuck around after 5+ years (the feature-full logs are another).

Edit:  Oh, one other thing, if you are not already receiving e-mail notifications when there are new posts on this thread you may wish to do so.  This way you don't have to come find the thread everytime you want to see if there is anything new going on.  At the bottom right-hand of this page, simply click on 'Toggle e-mail notification' in the "Actions" box.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2010-01-06 1:23 PM
2010-01-06 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2598193

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
JohnnyKay,

Thanks for the rundown!

Great info and good to have eleven new friends.  Looks like I am going to have to represent the entire west coast.  It's cooled off a bit, only about 68 & sunny today Cool

Pamela
2010-01-06 2:50 PM

Regular
SUCCESS!!!!!

Group motivation inspired me to pull my bike off the wall and pop it in the trainer. I just did somewhere around 45 min (probably a little less - I watched two episodes of The Office on Netflix).

Success #1 - Actually deciding to make it happen.
Success #2 - Figuring out how to hook the bike to the trainer - my husband has always done it.
Success #3 - Inflated my tire with a CO2 cartridge which I've never done before, but couldn't find my floor pump.
Success #4 - Sweat was pouring, the heart was pumping, and my legs were moving! Thanks guys!
Success #5 - My daughter slept through the whole thing and is still asleep!

Suzanne

PS - Johnny, it's actually my 3rd season, but last season was somewhat of a wash .
2010-01-06 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2598482

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
vtgirl - 2010-01-06 3:50 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!

Group motivation inspired me to pull my bike off the wall and pop it in the trainer. I just did somewhere around 45 min (probably a little less - I watched two episodes of The Office on Netflix).

Success #1 - Actually deciding to make it happen.
Success #2 - Figuring out how to hook the bike to the trainer - my husband has always done it.
Success #3 - Inflated my tire with a CO2 cartridge which I've never done before, but couldn't find my floor pump.
Success #4 - Sweat was pouring, the heart was pumping, and my legs were moving! Thanks guys!
Success #5 - My daughter slept through the whole thing and is still asleep!

Excellent!  Congratulations, especially on #5. 

PS - Johnny, it's actually my 3rd season, but last season was somewhat of a wash .

Sorry, I stand corrected.

2010-01-06 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2598432

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
It's nice to meet everyone. Johnny, thanks for putting this together.... I already feel a little motivation kicking in from being part of this group. I'll link everyone to my group ASAP and look forward reading those inspirational comments. On another note, my TI book came in today! I'm really hoping this will help with my swimming..... I need all the help I can get in the pool. Swam for 30 minutes today and I'm getting stronger.... HR isn't as high and I'm relaxing a bit more in the water. I'm thinking two or three more sessions in the pool and I'll be swimming like a fish...... right? Wink And for the record, I'm in southeastern Virginia... little place called Isle of Wight county.... where it was sunny and around 40 degrees out today.
2010-01-06 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2598997

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Subject: Sprint Question
The swimming part of my first triathlon will be in a pool. Are flip-turns required?
2010-01-06 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2599066

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Sprint Question
jhogan9600 - 2010-01-06 8:16 PM The swimming part of my first triathlon will be in a pool. Are flip-turns required?

Highly unlikely.  Though I personally think its a good skill to pick up eventually, many triathletes never do them--some of whom can swim much better than me, so what do I know? 
2010-01-06 7:29 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jhogan9600 - 2010-01-06 7:41 PM
And for the record, I'm in southeastern Virginia... little place called Isle of Wight county.... where it was sunny and around 40 degrees out today.

Thanks for clarifying.  Missing Carpenteria at this time of year? 
2010-01-06 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Jhogan,

tell me how you like the TI book, I have it and the freestyle DVD. The DVD music kept putting to sleep! Never made it very far past the first drilll Smile

2010-01-06 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2596009

User image

Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - OPEN
triton63 - 2010-01-05 3:55 PM Aubie,  At least we aren't dealing with the snow and ice the rest of the country has right now.  Though, I wouldn't mind a little of the white stuff every once in awhile.  I was in B'ham last weekend for the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert with my son.  Best of luck in your training!

True enough.  Guess I shouldn't be complaining about temps around most of these fine folks.  They will laugh at us and call us soft!    Maybe one of those rare snow events tomorrow.  Bham has already made a rush on the bread and milk supplies.  Funny.  Good luck to you as well. 
2010-01-06 9:31 PM

User image

cincinnati, ohio
Hello to everyone in our group!  thanks John for the run down, i will add all as friends soon. 
As i stated before, my IM training started this week and it is soooo nice to be back on a schedule.  I do much better with a plan to follow.   today, i did my swim workout earlier, but it took longer than i thought (damn resolutioners making me wait for a lane!) and i had to skip my bike workout to pick up my daughter from preschool.  but since i didn't want to miss a scheduled workout i got on my trainer after putting the kids to bed and got my second workout in!!!!!  (while watching confessions of a reality show loser)  about the guy that won Biggest Loser and gained all the weight back.  Anyway feeling really good about training.  Only 35 weeks of training left Laughing

A local coach around here is offering a one day tri clinic with gait analysis, taped swim sessions and group bike as well as nutrition, strength training, injury prevention etc. Thinking about signing up.  It is kinda pricey, but he is really good and i think the taped swim session alone would be worth it.  I am a decent swimmer, but am sure I could improve my stroke to get faster.  Any thoughts??

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!  Have a great night - I am settling in for the snow that is coming tomorrow.  They have already cancelled school.  better get my workout in early!!!
2010-01-06 10:59 PM

User image

Montana
Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out what I am doing here so be patient with me.  I just figured out how to get on here today.  Anyway I hope everyone is enjoying a great start to the year.  
Oh ya just to make you feel better I ran tonight in 4 inches of new snow and 5 degrees,  5 degrees farenheit not celcius.  Anyway I will talk to you all later as I get up to speed.
2010-01-06 11:01 PM

User image

Montana
I took the total immersion class and it made an unbelievable difference in my swimming.  So good luck
2010-01-06 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2598193

User image

Montana

bikemt1 (Jerry), another Canadian, coming from an Xterra/mtn. biking background looking to tackle the roads in a half ironman in June

Just to let you know up I am not Canadian, I am from Montana.

2010-01-06 11:41 PM

User image

"Aubiewood (Chris) from Bham, AL (guessing this is Southerner for Birmingham--like people from the North are supposed to recognize that there are any cities in the South)"

....and so it starts.  It's on now, JohnnyKay!  Maybe we can get a little North-South smack-talk going for the national championship game tomorrow night......oh, wait a minute, both teams are from the South....never mind. 

Hey Jerry!  The wife and I are huge fans of your home state.  We were engaged at Big Sky and plan on many return trips.  Have even considered making the state home one of these days.

Okay, gotta get some sleep.  Brisk, wake-up run with a beautiful Alabama sunrise in t-minus 6 hours!
2010-01-07 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2599066

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: RE: Sprint Question
jhogan9600 - 2010-01-06 8:16 PM The swimming part of my first triathlon will be in a pool. Are flip-turns required?

Coming from a swimming background the flipturns will be much faster.  However, from what I have read on the pool events is you will have many that hold onto the wall at each end to catch their breath and they may be in the way for you doing a flipturn.  Of course, once you kick a few in the head others will probably stay out of the way! Wink
2010-01-07 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2599532

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Aubiewood - 2010-01-07 12:41 AM "Aubiewood (Chris) from Bham, AL (guessing this is Southerner for Birmingham--like people from the North are supposed to recognize that there are any cities in the South)"

....and so it starts.  It's on now, JohnnyKay!  Maybe we can get a little North-South smack-talk going for the national championship game tomorrow night......oh, wait a minute, both teams are from the South....never mind. 

Chris, are you a bama fan or Aubie fan?  If an aubie fan will you cheer for bama tonight?  As a dawg fan I have to pull for the SEC team. 

It does sound like we will be getting some of that funny white stuff tonight.  I am scheduled to meet with a triathlon/master's swim coach tonight at 6:45 PM.  I hope they don't close the rec center because of a few snow flakes!
2010-01-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2599748

Regular
Is Aubie for Auburn? Bama - Alabama? Sorry, I don't follow those sports or those teams, boyz!

My brother was married in Birmingham. I remember getting stranded at a sushi bar near the 5 point intersection?

I'm planning on x-country skiing today, but am getting some dissension from my daughter who thinks she's going snowboarding. We'll see if it'll happen, it's a beautiful day for skiing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15