Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-02-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2676235

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Subject: RE: JustMike's Group - OPEN
tri808 - 2010-02-16 5:54 PM Here's a question for anyone in the group.

What (if anything) do you eat immediately following a workout?  A few months ago I was taking meal replacemnts from GNC.  I bought on sale and in bulk, so it came out to about $1.40 per 300 calorie serving.  It was easy and convienent to carry with me to the gym and mix and drink right after a workout to start the recovery process.  I'm not sold that these things will make you magically stronger...but you can't deny that the vitamins, protein, and low fat content are not the worst choice for a quick meal.

I recently ran out, so I was going to buy more, but just wanted to get some other opinions from the group. 

My post workout magic elixer is 1 scoop of protien powder (usually chocolate) with an 8oz glass of orange juice.  This seems to work well for me and like you said, it's a good quick meal choice and really convienent.

2010-02-17 4:23 AM
in reply to: #2674589

User image

jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-15 5:19 PM Although, I have been doing the Couch to 5K program for a couple of weeks, I am going to start incorporating biking and swimming starting tomorrow.  It is unusually cold here in the panhandle of florida, so I am going to do a spinning class tomorrow, and try to run on the treadmill.

My first race is actually a 5K on Memorial Day, and then a My First Tri on June 19th.  I am finding nutrition to be the most difficult.  I have started eating healthier and actually find that I'm not hungry and not eating nearly as much as I thought I would.

I'm down to 194 as of this morning with a ways to go. 

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

So long as you are eating healthy, staying away from fast food, etc...don't be affraid to eat.  When we train, we need calories to fuel our metabolism. 

I lost a ton of weight by going to 4 small meals and 2-3 snacks per day.  I would eat based on a schedule...about every 2-3 hours...not based on when I was hungry.  If we constantly eat, it keeps our energy up and our metabolism high.  Thus your workouts are better, and you burn more calories at rest.

Of course you still want to keep your total calorie count somewhat low...so the right choices and portion control is the key.

Just my 2 cents

2010-02-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2657825

User image

New user

Hey Mike,
First off great work with losing SO much weight!!! Incredible.  I have a couple of questions for you.. I am in pretty good shape, I am 5'10" 160lbs, and body fat right around 10%, so I'm not trying to lose any weight However,  this is my first year to do triathlons.  My first one is coming up in 6 weeks or so.. I had been running a lot and got my 5k right at 20 minutes... However, I have been experiencing bad shin pain, to the point where I have not been able to run for a week, I plan on taking at least another week off but was wondering if you have any suggestions of what I can do ease back into running without doing any further damage?  I hate not being able to run!!! 
Also, I just got back into a pool and finally got a road bike, I am pretty quick on the bike, but am lagging in the pool.. I would really like to increase my speed however in all 3 disciplines, what is the best way to train (especially in the pool) to increase speed? 
Thanks 
Tristan 
2010-02-17 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2676235

User image

Bloomington

What (if anything) do you eat immediately following a workout?  A few months ago I was taking meal replacemnts from GNC.  I bought on sale and in bulk, so it came out to about $1.40 per 300 calorie serving.  It was easy and convienent to carry with me to the gym and mix and drink right after a workout to start the recovery process.  I'm not sold that these things will make you magically stronger...but you can't deny that the vitamins, protein, and low fat content are not the worst choice for a quick meal.

I recently ran out, so I was going to buy more, but just wanted to get some other opinions from the group. 

I think this is a really good question. It's pretty important to eat as soon as you reasonably can post workout.  Within the first half hour is best, but if not at least within a time period equal in duration to the work out.  In this window your body can convert carbs to stored glycogen  (which can be used to fuel future workouts) about 3-4 times faster than it normaly can.  This can be further assisted by getting some protein as well as the carbs in about a 4:1 ratio. 

As for what to eat, that is a little more up to the individual.  I think HollyW's recovery drink sounds pretty promising.  There is something similar but more exotic in Joe Friel's training bible.  Endurox is popular, and so is Gu Recovery brew.  I tend to gravitate towards the "eat clean" crowd, and because of that I tend to shy away from the premade shakes, but whatever works for you is best.  Chocolate Milk is a great and very low cost option that is just about perfect as far as carbs/protein goes.    I often am in a hurry going from workout to work and so alot of the time I'll just eat a cliff bar, which is about 40g of carbs to 10g protein (again 4:1ish).  I'm not familiar with the GNC meal replacement, so I can't really comment on that one.  If I have the time, I LOVE smoothies with protein powder too.

2010-02-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2677762

User image

Bloomington
iront - 2010-02-17 1:18 PM Hey Mike,
First off great work with losing SO much weight!!! Incredible.  I have a couple of questions for you.. I am in pretty good shape, I am 5'10" 160lbs, and body fat right around 10%, so I'm not trying to lose any weight However,  this is my first year to do triathlons.  My first one is coming up in 6 weeks or so.. I had been running a lot and got my 5k right at 20 minutes... However, I have been experiencing bad shin pain, to the point where I have not been able to run for a week, I plan on taking at least another week off but was wondering if you have any suggestions of what I can do ease back into running without doing any further damage?  I hate not being able to run!!! 
Also, I just got back into a pool and finally got a road bike, I am pretty quick on the bike, but am lagging in the pool.. I would really like to increase my speed however in all 3 disciplines, what is the best way to train (especially in the pool) to increase speed? 
Thanks 
Tristan 

Hi Tristan,

A 20 minute 5k puts you at "alot" better of a runner than me, so I'm not sure my running advice will be all that valid.  I have heard of other runners recovering from injury by doing lots of aquajogging though.  You can find videos on how to do that on youtube.  Again though, I have no direct experience with that.  Sorry. 

As for increasing speed in the pool....swimming is like golf.  It's more technique that power.  The best thing you could do for yourself is to join a masters swim team.  Outside of that, lessons, drill work, and intervals. 
2010-02-17 1:44 PM

Regular
Subject: RE: JustMike's Group - FULL
Hi mike,

I.m Stacey, I would love to join the group too!

I have done 1 sprint and then developed Plantar facilitis.

Currently I do interval training and weights 6 days a week.

I am 38 years old with 3 kids and live outside of Montreal.

My goal is 145 pounds I am now 163.

I am nervous to run again as every time I do I hurt but I have been going to PT and a sports massage therapist to work on my hips back and knees. My MT is a natl triathlete for Canada and he has encouraged me to get back into it.

Mike your story is SO inspiring to me and I look forward to learning from you.

Also I would be interested int eh PDF of the workout book someone mentioned.

THANKS!!! Can't wait to get to know all of you!
Stacey

2010-02-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2677822

User image

JustMike - 2010-02-17 9:31 AM

I think this is a really good question. It's pretty important to eat as soon as you reasonably can post workout.  Within the first half hour is best, but if not at least within a time period equal in duration to the work out.  In this window your body can convert carbs to stored glycogen  (which can be used to fuel future workouts) about 3-4 times faster than it normaly can.  This can be further assisted by getting some protein as well as the carbs in about a 4:1 ratio. 

As for what to eat, that is a little more up to the individual.  I think HollyW's recovery drink sounds pretty promising.  There is something similar but more exotic in Joe Friel's training bible.  Endurox is popular, and so is Gu Recovery brew.  I tend to gravitate towards the "eat clean" crowd, and because of that I tend to shy away from the premade shakes, but whatever works for you is best.  Chocolate Milk is a great and very low cost option that is just about perfect as far as carbs/protein goes.    I often am in a hurry going from workout to work and so alot of the time I'll just eat a cliff bar, which is about 40g of carbs to 10g protein (again 4:1ish).  I'm not familiar with the GNC meal replacement, so I can't really comment on that one.  If I have the time, I LOVE smoothies with protein powder too.

The GNC stuff I was taking was about a 2.5:1 ratio of carbs to protien.  It's actually meant to be a weight gainer, but I take half the recommended serving. 

But I agree that going clean is best when possible.  My favorite post meal workout is a ham/turkey sandwich with all the veggies...but how often do you have a sandwich like that waiting for you post workout?
2010-02-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2677860

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Okay, so my first real question will be another nutrition question...I don't really think about post workout "food," is it very important and what is "going clean?"

For instance, I went for a 28 minute run and when I got back I drank a big bottle of water and then ate a big bowl of lettuce with grilled chicken and zesty italian dressing.  Is that a "bad" post workout meal?

BTW, I have never eaten healthy.  I usually just eat whatever I want and didn't worry about it, but obviously, I have to worry about my health now.

Richie
2010-02-17 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2677762

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas

The first time i got back into running after getting fat, I ran into all kinds of pains.  My right ankle from a previous injury(crushed growth plate when i was 12) and my right hip were esp Painful.  I saw where someone suggested running barefoot reteaches you how to run correctly.  So i began running at least once a wk at our local hs on their football field.  Between this and zoots the pain went away almost imediately.  Running barefoot or the shoes may have just been coincidence.  Maybe a pro could throw their input in on that.  If nothing else, the grass made my feet incredibly tough. 

2010-02-18 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2677936

User image

jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-17 10:14 AM Okay, so my first real question will be another nutrition question...I don't really think about post workout "food," is it very important and what is "going clean?"

For instance, I went for a 28 minute run and when I got back I drank a big bottle of water and then ate a big bowl of lettuce with grilled chicken and zesty italian dressing.  Is that a "bad" post workout meal?

BTW, I have never eaten healthy.  I usually just eat whatever I want and didn't worry about it, but obviously, I have to worry about my health now.

Richie

Most people believe that after a hard workout...usually 1 hour plus...taking in calories 15-30 minutes (or up to an hour) after your workout helps speed up the recovery process.  As Mike mentioned, for endurance athletes, you usually want a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protien.  So his Cliff bar suggestion has 40 grams of carbs and 10 grams of protein.  The carbs is to replenish your energy and some of your glycogen stores.  The protein is to help repair muscles and make them stronger.

So what you are doing is pretty good.  Hydration is also important, and lettuce and grilled chicken is a far better choice than most.  The one minor detail is there are not much carbs...so maybe a little bread or something may help.  Most weight lifters would eat something you would...lower carbs...higher protien.

It's not like if you don't follow these "suggestions" you're workouts will go to waste.  These are just tips to help maximize your workouts.  The fact that you eat something already puts you ahead of the game.
2010-02-18 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2679916

User image

Bloomington
tri808 - 2010-02-18 2:00 PM
jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-17 10:14 AM Okay, so my first real question will be another nutrition question...I don't really think about post workout "food," is it very important and what is "going clean?"

Richie

Most people believe that after a hard workout...usually 1 hour plus...taking in calories 15-30 minutes (or up to an hour) after your workout helps speed up the recovery process.  As Mike mentioned, for endurance athletes, you usually want a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protien.  So his Cliff bar suggestion has 40 grams of carbs and 10 grams of protein.  The carbs is to replenish your energy and some of your glycogen stores.  The protein is to help repair muscles and make them stronger.

So what you are doing is pretty good.  Hydration is also important, and lettuce and grilled chicken is a far better choice than most.  The one minor detail is there are not much carbs...so maybe a little bread or something may help.  Most weight lifters would eat something you would...lower carbs...higher protien.

It's not like if you don't follow these "suggestions" you're workouts will go to waste.  These are just tips to help maximize your workouts.  The fact that you eat something already puts you ahead of the game.

Exactly.  This is really a game of optimization.  As long as you're training, you're ahead of the game.    When I do two workouts a day recovery seems to be more important to me.  Then again, I know someone that I would consider elite that rarely ever eats. 

2010-02-18 7:02 PM

User image

Hey Mike and other group members,

I know you and almost everyone else on BT really recommends a bike fit.  When I bought my bike, I got an "eyeball" fit to make sure everything was within the norms.  I'm pretty comfortable when I ride...no real stiffness or pain yet.  My hands get a little numb if I'm on the hoods to long, but I hear that's a bit normal.

Anyway...I know there are different levels of fits.  Most are about $50 where they put you on the trainer, take some measurements, and adjust from there.  Then there are fits where they do video analysis, and some scientist does an algorithm and comes out with a magic formula...I hear that costs about $300.  There may be some in between range as well.

So my question is, is a $50 fit going to make a big difference if I'm currently comfortable in my current position?  I just hate to pay $50 and have them tell me that all I needed to do was move my seat 1 mm.  I guess my purpose for wanting a fit is to see if there's a position that can maximize my power...not because I need to get more comfortable.

Thanks

Jason
2010-02-18 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2680748

tri808 - 2010-02-18 7:02 PM Hey Mike and other group members,

I know you and almost everyone else on BT really recommends a bike fit.  When I bought my bike, I got an "eyeball" fit to make sure everything was within the norms.  I'm pretty comfortable when I ride...no real stiffness or pain yet.  My hands get a little numb if I'm on the hoods to long, but I hear that's a bit normal.

Anyway...I know there are different levels of fits.  Most are about $50 where they put you on the trainer, take some measurements, and adjust from there.  Then there are fits where they do video analysis, and some scientist does an algorithm and comes out with a magic formula...I hear that costs about $300.  There may be some in between range as well.

So my question is, is a $50 fit going to make a big difference if I'm currently comfortable in my current position?  I just hate to pay $50 and have them tell me that all I needed to do was move my seat 1 mm.  I guess my purpose for wanting a fit is to see if there's a position that can maximize my power...not because I need to get more comfortable.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

I'm not an expert bike fitter but here's my 2 cents.  Bike fitting requires someone who really knows their stuff and knows how to do a personalized fitting... I'm sure that someone could "professionally fit" me into the most aerodynamic position known to mankind, but I'm just not ready for that and for this stage in my life I'd rather sacrifice aero for comfort.

I have no doubt that a $300 fit will be more detailed than a $50 fit.  But you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it?  Are you willing to pay $300 plus possible new parts (stem, seat, etc.) on an older bike that you might end up replacing soon?

How much improved cycling time are you realistically looking for?  I guess that's the real question - remember back to when you were probably initially looking for your first bike.  Does spending $300 to save 100 grams make sense if you're a weekend warrior who is 15 lbs overweight (hey, that's me not you!)?  Now, does spending $300 to save 45 seconds on the bike and 10 seconds on the run make sense to you?  Or could you better lose several minutes by just putting more miles on your bike "as is?"

Good luck!
Justin

2010-02-18 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2680789

User image

globetruck - 2010-02-18 3:26 PM

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

I'm not an expert bike fitter but here's my 2 cents.  Bike fitting requires someone who really knows their stuff and knows how to do a personalized fitting... I'm sure that someone could "professionally fit" me into the most aerodynamic position known to mankind, but I'm just not ready for that and for this stage in my life I'd rather sacrifice aero for comfort.

I have no doubt that a $300 fit will be more detailed than a $50 fit.  But you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it?  Are you willing to pay $300 plus possible new parts (stem, seat, etc.) on an older bike that you might end up replacing soon?

How much improved cycling time are you realistically looking for?  I guess that's the real question - remember back to when you were probably initially looking for your first bike.  Does spending $300 to save 100 grams make sense if you're a weekend warrior who is 15 lbs overweight (hey, that's me not you!)?  Now, does spending $300 to save 45 seconds on the bike and 10 seconds on the run make sense to you?  Or could you better lose several minutes by just putting more miles on your bike "as is?"

Good luck!
Justin

Justin...I guess I forgot to mention in my post that in no way was I considering a $300 fit for my current bike for all the reasons you listed.  I was just wondering if the $50 fit would be worth it if I'm currently not experiencing any discomfort from short rides and going hard all the way up to 45 mile rides.  If a $50 fit is just a matter of moving my seat a little, to save me 10 seconds over 25 miles, then I'll keep my $50.  But if it can save me 30-60 seconds, or give me more endurance over 50+ mile rides then I would do it.

If I eventually move to a tri bike in 2011 or 2012, I would consider a very detailed fit since it would also mean I'm serious about racing.  Also, since I would get the fit at time of purchase, I assume any changing of stems, saddles, etc could be done as an exchange for the stock parts.  For now, my roadie with clip on aero bars can get me through all my races just fine.

Thanks again.
2010-02-19 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2667239

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Jason,

Could I get a copy of this pdf also?

I would appreciate it.
2010-02-19 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Another question from the newb...

I did my first swim workout today, and realized I am not as good of a swimmer as I thought I was.

I did a 50 yd warmup, and then a 50 yd freestyle.  The freestyle about kicked my butt, because I couldn't get my breath.  I was trying to really concentrate on exhaling through the entire stroke, but couldn't get it timed right with inhaling.

Also, I then did a 100 yds on the kickboard.  How should I be kicking...from the knee, which I want to do or from the hip?  I tried to concentrate on kicking from the hip, but tired out pretty quick.

Do you have good swimming drills I can do?

Thanks!

2010-02-19 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2681710

User image

jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-19 6:49 AM Jason,

Could I get a copy of this pdf also?

I would appreciate it.

Sure...PM me your email address
2010-02-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2681968

User image

jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-19 8:22 AM Another question from the newb...

I did my first swim workout today, and realized I am not as good of a swimmer as I thought I was.

I did a 50 yd warmup, and then a 50 yd freestyle.  The freestyle about kicked my butt, because I couldn't get my breath.  I was trying to really concentrate on exhaling through the entire stroke, but couldn't get it timed right with inhaling.

Also, I then did a 100 yds on the kickboard.  How should I be kicking...from the knee, which I want to do or from the hip?  I tried to concentrate on kicking from the hip, but tired out pretty quick.

Thanks!

I struggled with the same thing until very recently.  It sounds like you're pretty good to start.  I could barely do 25 yds when I first started...and I still can't kick 100 straight.

Anyway...I'm not the expert swimmer, but what worked for me was to slow down and relax.  Don't think about reaching the other side of the wall.  Imagine your swimming in the ocean and your just cruising and watching fish swim under you.  Almost as if you're not trying to swim, but just making your way through the water.  Once I relaxed, then everything...especially my breathing came together.  More than anything though...more time in the pool/water will help.

As far as kicking...my masters coach keeps telling me to kick from the hips.  It is tiring because we normally don't use those sets of muscles.  We are more accustomed to bending our knees, so it's more natural for us to do so.  But bending your knees will create more drag in the water.  It's just something I was told I have to work on, and it will come slowly.  I use zip fins when doing kicking drills to help me from fatiguing so fast.  Using fins, I can kick for 10-15 minutes straight and really work those kicking muscles.  Without fins, I'm dying after 50 yds.

2010-02-20 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2681968

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-19 12:22 PM Another question from the newb...

Thanks!

Hi Tim,

I had the same realization when I did my first swim workout.  You should definately be kicking from the hip.  I like to do my kick sets with a kickboard then do some drill sets immediately after. 

With the kickboard - I do 50 yards up on my forearms; 50 yards with the kickboard extended straight out in front of me (I concentrate on keeping my chest pressed and hips up); 50 yards on each side

For swim drills I do -
chest press:  swim face down with your arms at your sides, concentrating on keeping your chest pressed and hips up; side kicks: swim on your side with your bottom arm extended out in front of you & top arm on your side, your face is down looking at the bottom of the pool.  Turn your head up to take a breath.  I usually do 50 yards each side then another 50 yards rotating from side to side.  These have really helped me with my body position & rotation. 

Another thing I did/do was to go on youtube & type in swim drills, proper swim technique, swiming for triathletes, etc.   It helps to see what they are supposed to look like when done correctly  Wink

2010-02-20 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2683850

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Thanks, Holly!

I plan to spend some time tonight on youtube.

2010-02-22 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
Im doing my first tri of the year in April and im kinda worried about it being crazy cold that early in the year.  How essential is a wet suit??  If I buy one, do i need to wear it in the pool to get used to it?  Or should I just man up and take the cold? 

2010-02-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2686678

User image

onevette80 - 2010-02-22 11:25 AM Im doing my first tri of the year in April and im kinda worried about it being crazy cold that early in the year.  How essential is a wet suit??  If I buy one, do i need to wear it in the pool to get used to it?  Or should I just man up and take the cold? 

I'm not the one to ask...since the water is warm where I live year round.  But as far as testing your wetsuit in the pool...I think testing is a good idea...but if you're pool is heated...not a good idea.  You're likely to get hot after a few laps and want to take it off.  So I would test it in the actual water you are swimming in if possible.  Or maybe if there is an unheated pool you can try out.
2010-02-22 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
onevette80 - 2010-02-22 3:25 PM Im doing my first tri of the year in April and im kinda worried about it being crazy cold that early in the year.  How essential is a wet suit??  If I buy one, do i need to wear it in the pool to get used to it?  Or should I just man up and take the cold? 

When I work on my open water swims I always do better with the wet suit than without.  So I have always worn one in my actual races.  Most races have the swim area open a day or 2 before the race so you can go & swim the course.  You might check on their web site or email the race director.
2010-02-23 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2680748

User image

Bloomington

Thanks

Jason

So, this is just my opinion...

I think more than price, I'd be interested in the methodology the fitter uses.  What you want to avoid are fitters that tend to focus more on "well, your bars must be adjusted exactly to 66 mm because your arms are this and your legs are that."  In my opinion this just doesn't work.  Fitting like this is a good starting point, but it is rarely the ending point.  I don't think our anatomies are quite that able to fit into a formula. 

I do think fits are very valuable, because sometimes it is hard to see/feel where our own body is objectively on the bike, and that other pair of eyes can be extremely helpful however.  I had my fit done by a very experienced triathlete for the price of a 6 pack.    His methodology was great in my opinion.  We put my bike on his computrainer and I rode while he adjusted.  Why the computrainer?  He was watching my power output as I rode.  It was cool, and a very great thing. 

As another option, you could post a picture of yourself on your bike from the side to the forums and get some opinions? 

Also, is this about optimization only, or are you having specific comfort issues? 

Ultimately though, I know this isn't so helpful, but I think that fits are good but the money you pay for them isn't always directly related to their quality. 
2010-02-23 7:32 AM

User image

Bloomington
onevette80 - 2010-02-22 3:25 PM Im doing my first tri of the year in April and im kinda worried about it being crazy cold that early in the year.  How essential is a wet suit??  If I buy one, do i need to wear it in the pool to get used to it?  Or should I just man up and take the cold? 

Wet Suits provide boyancy as well as warmth, so if your race is wet suit legal I'd highly recommend wearing one.  You will swim faster and you will feel safer in the open water.  It feels kinda like wearing a full body life preserver.   

You don't necessarily have to buy one though...  If you did buy one, xterra always has $99 deals.  I'd also recommend wetsuitrental.com.  You can rent a suit for your race, they will make sure you get the size right, you can keep it a few weeks early if you want so that you can test it out, and they even allow you to purchase used suits.  I ended up renting twice last year, and buying the second time.  I got a great 2XU c:2 used for a really great deal.  I'll be using that same suit this year I think.  Also, this is an especially great deal if your weight will be going down enough to warrent a smaller size in the future. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JustMike's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6