in reply to: #2798050

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - OPEN
jonmetz - 2010-04-17 8:32 AM
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-04-16 6:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome

With regards to running, I'm trying to build up - but I don't really think that I'm progressing all that well.  I have no trouble whatsoever with the 5km distance, but anything longer than that and it just feels like a struggle.  I did 4.5 miles today, but had to stop at the 30 minute mark to have some water.  I've got some longer distance runs planned for next week, so I'm wondering if you might have any suggestions for me - or do I just need to HTFU?
What is causing you to stop? dehydration, muscle fatigue, high heart rate? There is nothing wrong with taking walking breaks. the "10/1" is a very common marathon and half marathon technique (run 10 min. walk 1 min). Other people will walk at aid stations. This not only provides time for recovery but it also gives you an opportunity to take in liquids and food if necessary. I would suggest slowly increasing your mileage about 10% on one long run per week. The rest of your running can be shorter runs with some speed work. I can send you some specific run workouts if you would like.

You may also want to have a gait analysis done. This will allow an expert to analysis your run technique in slow motion and provide tips on running more efficiently.

It seems as though it might be a combo of dehydration and high heart rate.  I get to 30 minutes, and if I'm able to stop for 30 seconds, take in some water and take a couple of deep breaths, I'm fine to keep going for another 30 minutes.  I haven't done more than an hour yet, so I don't know yet how that will turn out.  Your suggestion of the 10% increase is actually what I was already planning on, but I would really appreciate it if you would send me the run workouts. 

2010-04-19 4:13 AM
in reply to: #2800252

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - FULL
mponder - 2010-04-18 9:56 PM Hi all, I had a busy weekend and was away from my computer. It looks like we have a great group with a lot of information being shared. This is great, it's just what I need. This is my first year in the sport and I'm loving it. My second race is this weekend in St. Petersburg, FL. 

I know that typically the week of a race should be a taper week but I like to go hard half the week and then do very short distances the 3 days leading up to race day. Any thoughts? How do you approach race week?

2010 Race Schedule:
2/27  Gasparilla 15k - 1:26:03
3/13  St. Louis St. Patrick's Day 5mi - 39:25
4/10  Escape From Ft De Soto - 1:25:53
4/25  St. Anthony's
5/15  Florida International Triathlon (Sprint)
7/17  Moss Park Festival (OLY)
9/26  Augusta IM 70.3 (Hopefully!

I am a big advocate for tapering. However, it is a personal thing and your will learn by trial and error. Taper is not as important for the shorter races (but you can benefit tapering for shorter races). Once you get into your 70.3 training you might find that you welcome taper. Here is an actual race week plan for a client of mine doing an Olympic distance:
Monday
Swim 1400yd
WU:
-300 easy.
-6x50 fast on 10" rest.
MS:
-6x100 fast on 20" rest.
CD:
-200 easy.

Bike 0:30
Ride on a flat to rolling course. Keep HR in Zone 1-2.

Run 0:38
WU: 10'.
MS: 6x400 at 10k race pace with 1’ recovery.
CD: 10'.

Tuesday
Off!

Wednesday
Swim 1200yd
 WU:
-300 easy.
-6x50 fast on 10" rest.
MS:
-4x100 fast on 20" rest.
CD:
-200 easy.

Bike 0:33
WU: 10”.
MS: 4x90” in Zone 4 with 3’ recovery.
CD: 5’.

Run 0:32
WU: 10'.
MS: 4x400 at 10k race pace with 1’ recovery.
CD: 10'.

Thursday
Off!

Friday
Swim 1200yd
WU:
-300 easy.
-6x50 fast on 10" rest.
MS:
-4x100 fast on 20" rest.
CD:
-200 easy.

Bike 0:28
WU: 5'.
Make sure your bike is shifting properly and nothing is loose or rattling. Check tire pressure and make sure the handlebars, stem, and skewers are all tight.
MS: 4x90" fast with 3’ recovery.

Run 0:20
WU: 5'.
MS: 4x20" fast with 2’ recovery.

Saturday:
Race Day!
2010-04-19 4:34 AM
in reply to: #2800435

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - OPEN
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-04-19 12:19 AM
jonmetz - 2010-04-17 8:32 AM
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-04-16 6:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome

With regards to running, I'm trying to build up - but I don't really think that I'm progressing all that well.  I have no trouble whatsoever with the 5km distance, but anything longer than that and it just feels like a struggle.  I did 4.5 miles today, but had to stop at the 30 minute mark to have some water.  I've got some longer distance runs planned for next week, so I'm wondering if you might have any suggestions for me - or do I just need to HTFU?
What is causing you to stop? dehydration, muscle fatigue, high heart rate? There is nothing wrong with taking walking breaks. the "10/1" is a very common marathon and half marathon technique (run 10 min. walk 1 min). Other people will walk at aid stations. This not only provides time for recovery but it also gives you an opportunity to take in liquids and food if necessary. I would suggest slowly increasing your mileage about 10% on one long run per week. The rest of your running can be shorter runs with some speed work. I can send you some specific run workouts if you would like.

You may also want to have a gait analysis done. This will allow an expert to analysis your run technique in slow motion and provide tips on running more efficiently.

It seems as though it might be a combo of dehydration and high heart rate.  I get to 30 minutes, and if I'm able to stop for 30 seconds, take in some water and take a couple of deep breaths, I'm fine to keep going for another 30 minutes.  I haven't done more than an hour yet, so I don't know yet how that will turn out.  Your suggestion of the 10% increase is actually what I was already planning on, but I would really appreciate it if you would send me the run workouts. 

First and foremost, you should be focused on good running form. Lean forward, roll off your big toes, keep hands above your waist, look about 6 feet in front of you, drive your elbows back and never cross your midline with your hands. Check for quick cadence (85-90RPM) and flat footstrike (weight on ball of foot…not toes) with foot pawing back just before footstrike.

To add some variety to your run workout you can try something like this:
WU:
-15’ easy run.
MS:
-30” stride w/high knees drill to starting point.
-20” recovery.
-30” stride w/skipping drill to starting point.
-20” recovery.
-30” stride w/karaoke/grapevines drill to starting point.
-20” recovery.
-30” stride w/high knees drill to starting point.
-20” recovery.
-30” stride w/skipping drill to starting point.
-20” recovery.
-30” stride w/karaoke/grapevines drill to starting point.
-20” recovery.
CD:
-15’ easy run.

Strides are short repeats at 5K pace (running notably fast but maintain form).
2010-04-19 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2796294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

I am looking at an Olympic distance race in July and was wondering if 12 weeks is enough time to prepare knowing that I have 2 sprint races and potentially a 10K race scheduled between now and the Olympic race date? The reasoning for the Olympic race was a final race prior to an all out training run towards a HIM in October.

so 2 questions ... 1. am I trying to squeeze in too many races? thats 4 in 4 months? 2. Should I start the HIM training now instead of the Olympic training and just lighten up on my  HIM training the week of the Olympic race? MY main goal when I started all this was the HIM in October so I want to continue to work towards that but do a few races in the meantime to help prepare me for that October race

2010-04-19 10:32 AM

I have a question about the intensity I should be training at.  From my backgroud I am used to the hard cardio 10-20 minutes in length pushing myself to the extreme until my mind tries to make me stop then going just a little bit further each time.  The transition to this kind of training is a little different I feel.  It is only my 1st week so maybe I'm just getting a feel for my base before I start going more all out.  Should I be DONE at the end of each workout like I'm used to or what?
2010-04-19 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the drills, I will try them most likely tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I did another 4.5 mile run today (42 minutes) and it felt a heck of a lot better. 

I didn't stop at all, and made a conscious effort to take in sips of water every 10 - 12 minutes (even though I'm not all that proficient at drinking while I'm running, kinda pathetic really), and it was a lot easier.  I concentrated on my breathing, and while I still found it a bit of a struggle around the 38 minute mark, I felt a heck of a lot better about the run in general. 

2010-04-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2801605

User image

Master
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-04-19 1:30 PM Thanks for the drills, I will try them most likely tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I did another 4.5 mile run today (42 minutes) and it felt a heck of a lot better. 

I didn't stop at all, and made a conscious effort to take in sips of water every 10 - 12 minutes (even though I'm not all that proficient at drinking while I'm running, kinda pathetic really), and it was a lot easier.  I concentrated on my breathing, and while I still found it a bit of a struggle around the 38 minute mark, I felt a heck of a lot better about the run in general. 
This is great news! I can give you more drills but I don't want to overload you and I want you to really focus on your form (I see so many runners with bad form). How are you taking in water? Do you have a hydration belt?
2010-04-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2801166

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-19 11:32 AM I have a question about the intensity I should be training at.  From my backgroud I am used to the hard cardio 10-20 minutes in length pushing myself to the extreme until my mind tries to make me stop then going just a little bit further each time.  The transition to this kind of training is a little different I feel.  It is only my 1st week so maybe I'm just getting a feel for my base before I start going more all out.  Should I be DONE at the end of each workout like I'm used to or what?
Intensity should vary. Every workout should have a purpose (i.e. endurance, speed, strength, recovery etc.). Obviously, the way you feel after a recovery ride should not be the same as you feel after an interval ride. You should be using a heart rate monitor. Most plans will tell you at what intensity (or heart rate zone) you should be in for that particular workout or portion of a workout. Typically the heart rate zones are from 1-5 and based on your lactate threshold (LT). I can give you some simple tests to determine your LT and then help you calculate your heart rate zones.
2010-04-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2800798

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-19 9:30 AM

I am looking at an Olympic distance race in July and was wondering if 12 weeks is enough time to prepare knowing that I have 2 sprint races and potentially a 10K race scheduled between now and the Olympic race date? The reasoning for the Olympic race was a final race prior to an all out training run towards a HIM in October.

so 2 questions ... 1. am I trying to squeeze in too many races? thats 4 in 4 months? 2. Should I start the HIM training now instead of the Olympic training and just lighten up on my  HIM training the week of the Olympic race? MY main goal when I started all this was the HIM in October so I want to continue to work towards that but do a few races in the meantime to help prepare me for that October race

Going from sprint to HIM in one season is a lofty goal. If you really want to do the HIM in October that should be your "A" race and everything else (training and racing) should be based on that. When I build a training schedule, for myself or a client, I always start with the "A" race and back out from that date. IF other races fit into the schedule I will consider them. However, I will never do a race if it conflicts with the preparation for my "A" race. In you case I would build the HIM plan first. I would then take a look at the planned volume at the time of the Olympic race. Is the planned volume about the same as the distances for an Olympic distance race? This is especially crucial with running distances. I wouldn't want you to do an Olympic (10k run) if your longest run up to that point in your plan was only 5k.

2010-04-19 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2801742

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Thanks, I have the 20 week schedule from BT and and using that to plan back from race day. Luckily I have 26 weeks until then so I have a little wiggle room.

in your last post you mentioned you had ways to determine your Lactate Threshold. I would also be interested in that information. I monitor my heartrate while working out but never really tried to figure out what my LT was

thanks again!
2010-04-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2800510

User image

St. Louis
Thanks for this Jon. I have imported a HIM training plan into my schedule. It seems that the difference between an Olympic plan and a HIM plan is really just longer duration runs. I'm fine with that. I have the time (single) and the desire to do it, and if I realize it's too much too soon, I'll back off as I don't want to get burnt out on this sport.  I'm not necessarily going to do a HIM this year, like you said it's a lofty goal in one year - but I'd enjoy the ride of the training. I'll most likely wait until mid/late next season for a HIM. There is an Ironman store not far from where I work, they suggested that Augusta is the best "first" HIM. Do you or anyone else here agree?

2010-04-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2801876

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-19 2:44 PM Thanks for this Jon. I have imported a HIM training plan into my schedule. It seems that the difference between an Olympic plan and a HIM plan is really just longer duration runs. I'm fine with that. I have the time (single) and the desire to do it, and if I realize it's too much too soon, I'll back off as I don't want to get burnt out on this sport.  I'm not necessarily going to do a HIM this year, like you said it's a lofty goal in one year - but I'd enjoy the ride of the training. I'll most likely wait until mid/late next season for a HIM. There is an Ironman store not far from where I work, they suggested that Augusta is the best "first" HIM. Do you or anyone else here agree?
Augusta HIM is a newer so I am not familiar with the race. Did they suggest the race because the time of year? I am curious to why they think it is a good "first" HIM. If you waited until next year you have a HIM much closer to you in Orlando. Or you could consider other 70.3 distance races that are not Ironman branded.
2010-04-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2801903

User image

St. Louis
jonmetz - 2010-04-19 2:54 PM
mponder - 2010-04-19 2:44 PM Thanks for this Jon. I have imported a HIM training plan into my schedule. It seems that the difference between an Olympic plan and a HIM plan is really just longer duration runs. I'm fine with that. I have the time (single) and the desire to do it, and if I realize it's too much too soon, I'll back off as I don't want to get burnt out on this sport.  I'm not necessarily going to do a HIM this year, like you said it's a lofty goal in one year - but I'd enjoy the ride of the training. I'll most likely wait until mid/late next season for a HIM. There is an Ironman store not far from where I work, they suggested that Augusta is the best "first" HIM. Do you or anyone else here agree?
Augusta HIM is a newer so I am not familiar with the race. Did they suggest the race because the time of year? I am curious to why they think it is a good "first" HIM. If you waited until next year you have a HIM much closer to you in Orlando. Or you could consider other 70.3 distance races that are not Ironman branded.

The guy there said the river for the swim always has a pretty strong current and the bike course isn't too hilly. I was considering the Orlando one for next year. What's your input for doing HIM training but not a race, is it a waste of time?  Should I just stick with an Olympic training plan until next year? That seems like the more logical idea, but like I said the other day... I've caught the tri bug!
2010-04-19 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2801837

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-19 2:34 PM Thanks, I have the 20 week schedule from BT and and using that to plan back from race day. Luckily I have 26 weeks until then so I have a little wiggle room.

in your last post you mentioned you had ways to determine your Lactate Threshold. I would also be interested in that information. I monitor my heartrate while working out but never really tried to figure out what my LT was

thanks again!

Bike LT Test
Warm-up with an easy ride for 15 minutes. Then go 30 minutes in an all out effort. Use the lap function on your heart rate monitor to record your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes of this all out effort. This is your LT. Make sure you cool down with an easy ride for at least 15 minutes.

Run LT Test
Warm-up with an easy run for 10 minutes. Then go 30 minutes in an all out effort. Use the lap function on your heart rate monitor to record your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes of this all out effort. This is your LT. Make sure you cool down with an easy run for at least 10 minutes.

If you send me your LT numbers for the bike and run, I will calculate your heart rate zones.
2010-04-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2801960

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-19 3:06 PM

The guy there said the river for the swim always has a pretty strong current and the bike course isn't too hilly. I was considering the Orlando one for next year. What's your input for doing HIM training but not a race, is it a waste of time?  Should I just stick with an Olympic training plan until next year? That seems like the more logical idea, but like I said the other day... I've caught the tri bug!
Honestly, I would stick with just an Olympic this year. I know where you are coming from but I think your HIM experience will be much better if you wait a year and are better prepared. In a HIM you will also need to add the element of race nutrition and the mental preparation needed to be racing for 5, 6, or more hours.
2010-04-19 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2802006

User image

St. Louis
jonmetz - 2010-04-19 3:20 PM

Honestly, I would stick with just an Olympic this year. I know where you are coming from but I think your HIM experience will be much better if you wait a year and are better prepared. In a HIM you will also need to add the element of race nutrition and the mental preparation needed to be racing for 5, 6, or more hours.

Will do. I will keep you updated on how I do at St. Anthony's.

2010-04-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2802264

User image

Master
mponder - 2010-04-19 4:34 PM
jonmetz - 2010-04-19 3:20 PM

Will do. I will keep you updated on how I do at St. Anthony's.
I look forward to your race report!!!
2010-04-19 8:15 PM

I will try and get those numbers to  you this week on my 40 min run on Sunday and 78 min bike on Wednesday.  I swam for the first time in probably 10 years and that is def. where my weakness as I suspected.  I joined a local tri club and met some guys in my area that train at a local aquatic pool just down the road.  I am going to go there with the coach and get some help on my swimming technique and hopefully this will get me where I need to be in my swimming training. 

Do you recommend any specific heart monitor???never used or seen one before.
Do you recommend doing this all out effort on flat surface or could it be hills...because hills always leave me gassed!!

Edited by mcox06 2010-04-19 8:26 PM
2010-04-20 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2802967

User image

Master
mcox06 - 2010-04-19 9:15 PM I will try and get those numbers to  you this week on my 40 min run on Sunday and 78 min bike on Wednesday.  I swam for the first time in probably 10 years and that is def. where my weakness as I suspected.  I joined a local tri club and met some guys in my area that train at a local aquatic pool just down the road.  I am going to go there with the coach and get some help on my swimming technique and hopefully this will get me where I need to be in my swimming training. 

Do you recommend any specific heart monitor???never used or seen one before.
Do you recommend doing this all out effort on flat surface or could it be hills...because hills always leave me gassed!!

Joining a Tri club is a great idea!

I would suggest either a Polar RS100 http://www.trivault.com/products/Polar-RS100.htmlPolar has been in the heart rate monitor business for a long time. If you want something a bit more "fancy" with the addition of GPS, I would suggest the Garmin 310XT http://www.trivault.com/products/Forerunner-310XT-with-HRM.html Do the all out effort on a flat surface (you can even use a treadmill for the run and a trainer for the bike).

Edited by jonmetz 2010-04-20 7:10 AM
2010-04-20 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Just curious what your thoughts are on weight training during a training program. Some of the training programs I have seen dont mention anything about weight training. Just the swim bike run specific work. But I feel like I am cheating myself by not doing any weight training. Should the triathlon training suffice or would I be OK continuing some weight training during my training schedule
2010-04-21 4:11 AM
in reply to: #2805657

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-04-20 8:07 PM Just curious what your thoughts are on weight training during a training program. Some of the training programs I have seen dont mention anything about weight training. Just the swim bike run specific work. But I feel like I am cheating myself by not doing any weight training. Should the triathlon training suffice or would I be OK continuing some weight training during my training schedule
This is a highly debated question. So I will give you my philosophy but you may want to do some additional research and see if another approach works better for you. During the off season I give my athletes a custom strength training routine. During the season I wean them off of the strength training and move them to neuromuscular and core exercises. Some neuromuscular exercise that I like include:

High Knees
: This is basic running form while bringing the knees up higher than normal – ideally beyond your waistline. Aim to keep your feet moving as fast as possible and your ankles, knees, hips and shoulders facing forwards. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Butt Kicks: Similar to high knees except you keep your thighs perpendicular to the ground while kicking your heels up towards your backside. Again, move fast and keep ankles, knees, hips and shoulders in alignment. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Carioca: Moving laterally to your left, cross your right foot in front of your left, then step with your left, then cross your right foot behind the left and repeat. Aim for as much hip rotation as possible and keep those feet moving fast. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Step Slide: Assume a low athletic position with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, your ankles, knees, hips and shoulders facing forwards and your knees slightly bent. Pushing off your right leg, slowly step laterally to the left with your left leg, then slide your right leg back to its original position, making sure your feet don’t touch or cross. This is similar to a ‘defensive slide’ in basketball and the coaching cue when performing it is ‘step – slide’. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Glute Walk: In the process of your walk, put your left hand on your left knee and right hand on your left ankle, then pull both in towards your chest. Take a step and repeat on the other leg. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Back Pedal: Run backwards maintaining a little bit of a forward lean (shoulders over your toes) to prevent falling. Really ‘reach back’ as far as you can with each step to help stretch the hip flexor muscles. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Frankenstein March: Keeping your left leg straight, kick it up in front of you as high as you can, trying to tough the fingertips of the opposite arm – basically a straight leg march – then repeat with the right leg. This is an excellent way to increase hamstring flexibility. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Knee Hug: While walking forward, hug your left knee into your chest, then step and repeat on the right leg, continuing with alternate legs. This is an excellent way to loosen up the glutes and hips. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Quad Walk: While walking forwards, pull your left heel in to your buttocks, then step and repeat with the right leg, continuing with alternate legs. This is ideal for loosening up the quadriceps and hip flexors. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Twist Lunge: Step forward with your left leg into a lunge position (ankles, knees, hips and shoulders facing forward, torso upright) trying to place your right elbow on your left knee. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Over the Fence: Facing in the opposite direction to the way you want to travel, raise your left knee as high as possible and rotate it behind you as if you were trying to walk backwards and step over an imaginary fence. Repeat on the right leg and continue with alternate legs. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Inchworm: Assume a push-up position on the ground, and walk your feet close to your hands while keeping the legs as straight as possible. Then return to the start position. Make sure your hands and feet never leave the ground. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

Monster Walk: Put tubing around your ankles. Get into the athletic position. Walk forward and then back. Remember to keep your stomach muscles tight and keep your shoulder and hips in a straight line. Perform over a distance of 15-20 yards.

I would never prescribe all these exercises at one time. I would have the athlete focus on areas that need improvement based on a run analysis for example. An example of a neuromuscular/core workout might be:

Neuromuscular

• High Knees
  • Carioca
  • Glute Walk
  • Back Pedal
  • Frankenstein March
  • Quad Walk
  • Over the Fence

Core

• One Leg Squat w/ Reach..... 2x12
  • Hip Lifts (FB)...................... 2x12
  • Back Extensions (FB)......... 2x12
  • Pushups (FB-Feet on Ball)... 2x12
  • Physio Side Raises (FB)..... 2x12
  • Back Bridge (Foam Roll)...... 2x12
  • Prone Plank....................... 60”

2010-04-21 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

Thanks for all the information ... I will continue to reseach but I like the exercises you provided and along with some of the running exercises you presented earlier in the forum, I think those will help me in my overall running ability

Also, I wanted to mention that I was at the pool this morning working on the breathing we had talked about in a previous question. Your comments really helped. I was able to swim the whole time with minimal breaks in between sections(WU 200, Mains 800 moderate, 300 hard, 800 moderate, 200 CD), and was able to keep a consistent pace on my longer 800 yard swims without feeling like is was running out of gas ... plus the work with 1 lap breathing right and 1 lap breathing left is coming along .. still feel better to my right, but I can see that the left side is starting to join the game plan!

2010-04-21 8:36 AM

I would be interested in your weight training results.  As someone coming from a strength and conditioning background I am very interested in this subject.  I plan on at least doing core exercises and will address strength after the 1st month of my training.  I have a question about your view on using explosive exercises in tri training.  Something like squat jumps.  I am also curious about static exercises.  I made the Bruce lee device that is basically a 2x4 with a metal chain connected to a handle.  You can do maximum effort with everything from deadlift to tricept extensions.  So I would do 3-5 sec holds for 4 sets in various positions for each lift.  Do you think these things would help my training?

For the core training I recommend you try something called a Renegade Getup.  It incorporates a 1 legged squat with a heck of a core component!!!  I donno Jon's background with strength training but if anyone has any questions on strength(be it endurance, explosiveness, or maximum effort)  I will try and help you out as much as I can.  I already consider this journey a success because I have found out how great of an addition swimming will be to my regular training!
2010-04-21 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2797574

User image

Master
amyjotris - 2010-04-16 9:27 PM

ok...my motivation came back tonight!! I did an 8 mile run...1:18.  Felt great.  48 mile bike ride tomorrow morning! what's everyone doing this weekend?

So...my story is....I have two wonderful teenage girls.  Live near Madison, Wisconsin. I started Triathlons about 5 years ago.  It was a dream for me to do an Ironman.   Last September that dream came true.  I finished Ironman Wisconsin!! I am now kind of in a slump.  I don't have any rhyme or reason to my workouts and I don't have much motivation.  Need to figure out some new goals. 

Hey AJ, We have not heard from you in a few days. How is the training going? Have you been able to maintain the motivation that you found last week?
2010-04-21 8:59 AM

User image

Regular
I have a question about swim training and effort during each workout. 

A number of different training plans and philosophies talk about "quality workouts" and sort of a parallel idea that you're sort of limited in the amount of high intensity training you can do in a given week based on heart rate.

OTOH, when people talk about swim workouts the general consensus is you need to train fast to race fast.  So much so (my impression) that most of your workouts are almost sprint oriented where you do sets of 100, 200 or 400 and then have breaks in between to catch your breath.  So it would seem that almost any swim workout would be a high intensity quality workout (or maybe "breakthrough" using Friel's terminology).

I'm having a hard time meshing the two ideas that most swim workouts are high intensity, but there's only a limited number of those per week for all 3 sports.  I must be missing something about what makes the difference between a normal swim workout and a quality swim workout.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jon Metz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9