Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-04-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2814768

User image

New user

Okinawa
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
outtashape momma - 2010-04-24 10:33 PM Wow.  I am impressed with the Bike time.  Last week it took me 30 minutes to go 7 miles!  (And I thought my legs were like lead). 

Amber,
The first/only sprint triathlon I've ever done AND the Duathlon (Run + Bike)  Showed me all I need to know about mountain bikes - and that is - They belong on a mountain.....
1.Trust me, when you find a road bike or tri-bike, you will nearly cut your 30 minutes for 7 miles in half just by having a different bike! 
2.Having clipless pedals (the ones that shoes actually "clip" into) also took a very significant chunk of time out as it allows for a push and pull of the pedal for a larger amount of the rotation.

With that said, don't rush into buying your first road or tri-bike - find the right one with the right fit...
I believe Brian will be your best bet for advice on what you should do in finding and fitting your first bike! Laughing

2010-04-25 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2808388

Regular
Augusta, GA
NO Jazz Fest--lucky you! I went many years ago, headliner Dave Matthews, but we couldn't get anywhere near him and turns out I loved the side stage acts the most. Hope you enjoyed it all. Beth
2010-04-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2814606

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: RE: Struggling!
Hey Cheeks, Re: your question about eating...for me it makes a HUGE difference. If I don't eat I BONK hard. When I ramped up my training last year I wanted to lose some weight so was just eating normally. But I was so having a really hard time not bonking during long workouts. I switched my am drinkable yogurt (90 cals) for a protein shake (1 scoop protein powder, a banana,  1 TAB pnut butter, 1 c skim milk, 1/3 c. coffee) about an hr before exercising and it really holds me til after workout. I don't wanna eat tons of calories and gain weight OR eat a lot of chemical-ish foods like bars, powders, and whatnot--prefer real whole foods. Have you seen Oxygen magazine? They've got lots of good recipes. I've also got some upset stomach tendancies and don't like chewing during events, so I use Hammer gel during races and really long training rides and I can keep that down. Laughing Beth
2010-04-25 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2814818

User image

Nashville, TN

Justin...... my 30 minutes for 7 miles was on a gym bike......  I rode my bike today for the 5 miles timed, and it about killed me.  I used a lot more muscle, and unfortunately I don't have many straight, flat areas where I live, so I had some hills in there too!  I did 46:16 in 5 miles. I am searching for something reasonable that is used.  My bike seat is really uncomfortable.  Does anyone have any suggestions for one?  Atleast it can only get better from here.  I am going to have to step up my strength training.  I think that will help more too. 

I also am now the proud owner of a swimming cap, goggles, and ear plugs ! 

Swim time tomorrow!

What doesn't kill me, will eventually make me stronger =^)

2010-04-25 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2814723

User image

Nashville, TN
Great Job Rod!!  Laughing
2010-04-25 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2815309

User image

Expert
outtashape momma - 2010-04-25 5:24 PM

My bike seat is really uncomfortable.  Does anyone have any suggestions for one?

I recommend a women's specific one with a cut out in the middle.  I think the best one I've found is for less aggressive riding is a Bontrager WSD one and it isn't crazy expensive like some of the other ones out there.  That being said....when you buy a saddle check and see if they allow you to return it if it isn't comfortable to you bc saddle comfort is very specific to an individual.  

2010-04-25 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2815608

User image

Nashville, TN
Thanks Katie!!
2010-04-26 2:01 AM
in reply to: #2807030

User image

Regular
Okay so I finally got my 5k timed: 23:51. I'll do the swim and bike tomorrow. 

Brian: I know I should be doing some strength training and I know my core needs work. How many workouts/how often is good? And should I just focus on my core or do it all? Thanks

-Erica 
2010-04-26 2:04 AM
in reply to: #2814828

User image

Regular
Hey Beth I like the sound of your protein shake. I'll have to try it I could stand to turn a few pounds of fat into muscle lol.

-Erica 
2010-04-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Great job guys ...way to get out there to logs these in.  Now that you have a benchmark it is time to start working on your training schedules in earnest.  For those who do not have a schedule already picked out, cheack out the free schedules on this site here.

I am going to be out-of-pocket for most of the day but hope to go through your logs after dinner/putting the kids down tonight.  If you hadn't already updated them from the weekend's workout then please do so now.

That said, please be sure to visit each other's logs with a goal of once per day - and leave an "inspire" (just click on "inspire me" on the blue menu date bar in the center column of the page and a window will pop-up for you to write something).  Also be sure to add each member of our group to your friend's list.

2010-04-26 10:22 AM

User image

Nashville, TN

Swim Time :

50 yds 1:25 seconds (forgot I was supposed to time so I was already 150 yds into my swim). Rested 3 minutes ( because my heart was about to pound out of my chest! Do have a heart rate monitor, but forgot to wear the watch that goes with it!  Learning....learning.)
Then did 50yds in 1:30 seconds.
so I guess my time is 5:55 for 100yds.

Very excited.  Saw the Key West triathlon in December.  I think I am going to sign up for it!
I am really enjoying this much more than I thought I would.  I am starting to get hooked. I guess I like torturing myself :-).  I have always loved a good challenge.  This certainly is one!

I am using the Michael Pate's Total Sprint training plan
"The 22 week program taking you from the couch to the finish line",
sounded like it was written just for me!

I really enjoy reading everyone's accomplishments, helpful hints, and suggestions.

-Amber

2010-04-26 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2814828

User image

Veteran
Hi Beth. If my wife Bonked hard if she didn't eat, I'd be clearing all the food out of the cupboards! So I'm figuring "to bonk" has a very different meaning on this side of the Atlantic LaughingLaughing

Cheers.
Rod.
2010-04-26 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2817578

User image

Expert
Rod1 - 2010-04-26 3:21 PM Hi Beth. If my wife Bonked hard if she didn't eat, I'd be clearing all the food out of the cupboards! So I'm figuring "to bonk" has a very different meaning on this side of the Atlantic LaughingLaughing

Cheers.
Rod.

That is hilarious!  Yeah, "bonk" here is a pretty common term for when your energy level plummets.....so, not quite the same thing as over there. 
2010-04-26 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Ok, I finally got my timed bike ride in:

5 miles - 14:44 - 20.36 m.p.h.

Swim soon to come 
2010-04-26 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2818460

User image

Nashville, TN
IronCowgirl - 2010-04-26 9:23 PM Ok, I finally got my timed bike ride in:

5 miles - 14:44 - 20.36 m.p.h.

Swim soon to come 

Wow!  That is great!!Laughing
2010-04-27 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran

OK, have now got my times for the Aquathlon. 400m Swim 6:33. 5km run 29:09, which includes transition (I'm estimating about 1min). Rank swim 11/22 overall, 9/13 mens (though four of us were very closely bunched). Rank Run 21/22 overall, 13/13 mens. I estimate that my run speed was about 10.7km/hr.

The question is, to all of those that have done longer events, how do you pace yourself in the first leg so that you are fit for the remainder of the race? It's hard not to get caught up in "the race" early on.

2010-04-27 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2818766

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Pacing during a race is super hard, during a sprint race it is near impossible.  One way to estimate the pacing is to take a percentage of your all-out sprint pace in each sport and try to stick with it.  The percentage, of course, depends upon your fitness relative to the distance. 

Rod1 - 2010-04-27 6:55 AM

OK, have now got my times for the Aquathlon. 400m Swim 6:33. 5km run 29:09, which includes transition (I'm estimating about 1min). Rank swim 11/22 overall, 9/13 mens (though four of us were very closely bunched). Rank Run 21/22 overall, 13/13 mens. I estimate that my run speed was about 10.7km/hr.

The question is, to all of those that have done longer events, how do you pace yourself in the first leg so that you are fit for the remainder of the race? It's hard not to get caught up in "the race" early on.

2010-04-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2818766

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Rod1 - 2010-04-27 5:55 AM

Pacing for a longer event is also something you learn from experience.   You'll do a race or workout and then look back on it and think that you could have gone slower or faster.  Last month, I did the same 40 mile bike / 4 mile run brick three weekends in a row.  Each time, my effort on the bike was different, and my run changed accordingly.    Hopefully, by the time my race rolls around I will have my bike pacing hammered out so that I can still run strong without sandbagging the bike too much.
2010-04-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2814606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Cheeks - , literally hit a brick wall at mile 2, panting and sweating my head off when the infamous 'puke factor' wants to rear it's ugly head. I am trying to concentrate on a song in my iPOD not realizing how loud I am gagging!     

I had 5 hours of sleep and hadn't eaten in 4 hours before running. How big of a difference would that really make?   I would like to run it again without the incline. I hated every minute of the run. At some point I usually get into a groove, but it never happened for this one. 
My questions are:
1. what are your recommendations for pre-workout nutrition?
2. Should I incorporate lifting at the end of each workout?

Next will be the swim.  

I haven't' logged in anything on the site yet, I am still trying to navigate my way around.

1.  If a workout is going to last longer than an hour, I try to have a pre race snack.  I am not too picky, just about any carb works for me.  Soda and candy bar are my usual, but not necessarily what I recommend .   When I bonk from low blood sugar, I usaully feel lethargic and weak.  What you are describing sounds like you went anaerobic.

2.  Whether or not you lift weights totally depends upon your personal goals.  My rule of thumb is to do the workout I want to focus on first.  If I have two sports planned on the same day, I will do the "key" workout first.  The same thinking would hold up with weight lifting too.   If strength training is your main goal, lift first.  If tri training is more important, then do that before lifting.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-04-27 10:37 AM
2010-04-27 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2814723

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
This is a fantastic post-race - and even post workout write-up ... it summarizes what happened, the results and takes an introspective look towards what happened.

Your write-ups do not have to be as detailed but should cover the same ground.  This will provide the details for members of our group to see what you are doing and then provide comment.

Good job on the race ... and the illustrious P.F.   Way to push it!

Rod1 - 2010-04-25 8:15 AM Bike Test: 8km (5mile). 15:48. Average speed 30.2km/hr (18.8 miles/hr). Did in the middle of a 38km training ride this morning (had to get to the stretch of road!), which is my longest ride so far - How are you meant to get off the bike after a 40km ride and then runSurprised.

Aquathlon yesterday. I'm not actually certain of my overall time - let alone the splits (I didn't use my watch) and what the timekeeper said, versus what his calculations suggested didn't seem to add up to me, but I was too tired to question it at the time. Anyway it was either 35:42 or 37:42 for total race which was 400m pool swim and 5km run. If it were the former I'm Ok with the time, if the latter disappointed. I came an inglorious last! My wife tried to cheer me up by pointing out that the other contestants were all taller/slimmer/younger than me (boy I'm feeling better already - thanks!). To be fair to myself, there were only 13 of us in the mens section, and one of those is a British Triathlon Team member (very intimidating when he gets into the pool in the national colours Smile - oh and he did win (22minutes flat) in case you were wondering). I think I was about 8th out of the pool, but I swam too hard, trying to keep up with the guy I shared the lane with - even though he paces 20s shorter hundreds than me - that was a lost cause from about lap 5! Then tired for the run - my weakest leg. It didn't matter too much for this event, but if I do the same in the Olympic distance in August I will be a DNF (lesson learned!). Its also reminded me that the object of this year is firstly to finish all the events and only secondly to be concerned about times. And finally (and no surprise) my running needs work!

Brian - thanks for the transition advice - I wore socks (with talcum powder), and put elastic laces on the shoes. It went really smoothly. I'll let you know the race splits and times when they are available.

Finally. P Factor was definitely present. Everything that went into me solid earlier in the day became liquid...and for about six hours after the race I couldn't venture too far from the bathroom (too much information I know). This happened to me after my last duathlon as well, but doesn't happpen after training sessions. I presume it means that I worked at a harder level in the event? Is this common/normal? In the two races this has happened, I've had chocolate milk shortly after the event. I'm thinking I might experiment with ditching the recommended after race drink? Any suggestions? Also general suggestions for race day nutrition?

Cheers.

Rod.

2010-04-27 9:09 PM

User image

Nashville, TN
I need someone to tell me that the biking does get better!  I was worried all this time about the swim, and it is going much better than planned, but the biking may kill me! I did 4 miles today, and thought that my quads were going to rip through my skin!
Does the drinking water get better?  I am not very corrdinated with that yet!

I got fitted for running shoes today, and they feel like a dream :-). 

Amber

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

2010-04-28 4:18 AM
in reply to: #2821376

User image

Veteran
Hi Amber. Justin is right. Going to a road bike will make an enormous difference. I had been riding a hybrid (to work every now and again) for years. In February I bought a road bike and couldn't believe how much faster. easier and less painful it was to ride. That said make sure you are properly fitted for the bike. Buying second hand, you probably should think about going into a store and looking at new bikes, and ask what size frame you would need in either a road bike or a TT (Time trial/triathlon bike), that way you will have a better idea of what you do need (and of the saving you will be making buying 2nd hand). Re pedals - I have just gone clipless (ie: clip in!!!), and it does feel faster, but if the bike you get doesn't already have clipless pedal system, I'd recommend leaving going clipless until you have got used to riding your new bike. The road bikes are definitely better - but they do take a bit of getting used to the different sitting position, and the greater sense of fragility than a MTB....and apart from that - yes the more you ride the easier it does get :-).
2010-04-28 5:50 AM
in reply to: #2821682

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Rod's advice is spot-on re: bike and speed.  That said, until you can find a bike (Craigslist? Ebay?) then continue to ride your mountain bike as the fitness built between the two is largely the same.

Did they say anything interesting or do something noticable with your shoe fitting?

Rod1 - 2010-04-28 5:18 AM Hi Amber. Justin is right. Going to a road bike will make an enormous difference. I had been riding a hybrid (to work every now and again) for years. In February I bought a road bike and couldn't believe how much faster. easier and less painful it was to ride. That said make sure you are properly fitted for the bike. Buying second hand, you probably should think about going into a store and looking at new bikes, and ask what size frame you would need in either a road bike or a TT (Time trial/triathlon bike), that way you will have a better idea of what you do need (and of the saving you will be making buying 2nd hand). Re pedals - I have just gone clipless (ie: clip in!!!), and it does feel faster, but if the bike you get doesn't already have clipless pedal system, I'd recommend leaving going clipless until you have got used to riding your new bike. The road bikes are definitely better - but they do take a bit of getting used to the different sitting position, and the greater sense of fragility than a MTB....and apart from that - yes the more you ride the easier it does get :-).
2010-04-28 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2819250

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
As far as nutrition goes, eating right before a workout may not be as beneficial to that workout as you would think. It generally takes about 45 minutes to start reaping the benefits of nutrition ... and that can be slower when you are exercising as the bloodflow that usually concentrates around the stomach/digestive system is being called upon to generate oxygen supply to your large muscle groups.  It is this competition of internal resources that sometimes leads to "gastric distress".

That said, be picky about what you eat before a workout.  Complex carbs are good - e.g. I eat oatmeal and a pint of yogurt each race morning and/or before long workouts.  Beware of simple sugars such as candy bars or soda ... the 'sugar spike' can lead to a 'sugar low' halfway through your workout.  Also stay away from heavy foods ... you do not want to eat a burger before a long run.

Lastly, be certain to eat right after you workout - certainly within the first 20 minutes.  You have a 'metabolic window of opportunity' to do some real good during this time frame, including restoring glycogen (energy stored in your muscles) and muscle repair.  This is when you want to take in a mix of simple and complex sugars as well as some protien. 

There are post-work out drinks such as Endurox (which I use) and others ... but, believe it or not, chocolate milk has the same or similar 4:1 ratio of carbs to protien.

ray6foot7 - 2010-04-27 10:15 AM
Cheeks - , literally hit a brick wall at mile 2, panting and sweating my head off when the infamous 'puke factor' wants to rear it's ugly head. I am trying to concentrate on a song in my iPOD not realizing how loud I am gagging!     

I had 5 hours of sleep and hadn't eaten in 4 hours before running. How big of a difference would that really make?   I would like to run it again without the incline. I hated every minute of the run. At some point I usually get into a groove, but it never happened for this one. 
My questions are:
1. what are your recommendations for pre-workout nutrition?
2. Should I incorporate lifting at the end of each workout?

Next will be the swim.  

I haven't' logged in anything on the site yet, I am still trying to navigate my way around.

1.  If a workout is going to last longer than an hour, I try to have a pre race snack.  I am not too picky, just about any carb works for me.  Soda and candy bar are my usual, but not necessarily what I recommend .   When I bonk from low blood sugar, I usaully feel lethargic and weak.  What you are describing sounds like you went anaerobic.

2.  Whether or not you lift weights totally depends upon your personal goals.  My rule of thumb is to do the workout I want to focus on first.  If I have two sports planned on the same day, I will do the "key" workout first.  The same thinking would hold up with weight lifting too.   If strength training is your main goal, lift first.  If tri training is more important, then do that before lifting.
2010-04-28 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2817578

Regular
Augusta, GA
OH MY! I had no idea. Does "hit the wall" translate better Rod?
Too, too funny! I love these language differences....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13