BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-25 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3261410

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)
I just finished a 20 mile trainer ride.  This was my second ride over the past 2 days and I tried not to get to crazy today.  My legs were slightly fatigued after the run and I waited until after supper to ride.  I knew I needed to allow a bit of recovery and allow some fuel to get back into my system.  I kept the intervals a bit lighter than last nights ride but I was still challenged.  1:06:10 was my length of ride and an avg. of 18.4 mph including WU and CD. 

I have next week off work and I am planning on nailing some extra workouts.  I am hoping for 3-4 x for all 3 disciplines but I will have to cram some and make sure I get some time to do some things around the house.  By the beginning of January I will be in need of a recovery week for sure.  I haven't had one since the middle of November but I haven't tried to kill anything either.

How's everyone else's planned training going?

2010-12-25 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3261405

User image

Thanks.  I will get my info up sometime tommorow.
2010-12-25 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3256440

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
I just went for a short trail run, don't know if it was the wisest thing to do when one is just getting back to running but it was fun. walked a bit and then ran for about 20 minutes. it is getting colder and I am out of shape.... achilles on the left leg bugged me a bit, I don't know why since it was fine last time I ran, hope its only the lack of running
2010-12-25 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3261517

User image

Veteran
DirkP - 2010-12-25 7:57 PM I just finished a 20 mile trainer ride.  This was my second ride over the past 2 days and I tried not to get to crazy today.  My legs were slightly fatigued after the run and I waited until after supper to ride.  I knew I needed to allow a bit of recovery and allow some fuel to get back into my system.  I kept the intervals a bit lighter than last nights ride but I was still challenged.  1:06:10 was my length of ride and an avg. of 18.4 mph including WU and CD. 

I have next week off work and I am planning on nailing some extra workouts.  I am hoping for 3-4 x for all 3 disciplines but I will have to cram some and make sure I get some time to do some things around the house.  By the beginning of January I will be in need of a recovery week for sure.  I haven't had one since the middle of November but I haven't tried to kill anything either.

How's everyone else's planned training going?

Sounds like your doing great, I have had some ribs out for the last couple of days. I am planning on doing a run tomorrow, I need to start running more for my half marathon training and tri training.  Happy training!!
2010-12-25 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3261538

User image

Veteran
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-25 8:45 PM I just went for a short trail run, don't know if it was the wisest thing to do when one is just getting back to running but it was fun. walked a bit and then ran for about 20 minutes. it is getting colder and I am out of shape.... achilles on the left leg bugged me a bit, I don't know why since it was fine last time I ran, hope its only the lack of running

Good job, my achilles did the same after I took a break from running and did more strength training. Make sure to do some good streaching in after the run.
2010-12-25 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3261327

User image

Veteran
DirkP - 2010-12-25 1:58 PM
tri808 - 2010-12-25 2:32 PM
garrunning - 2010-12-25 7:34 AM So I purchased a bike the other day and still have to buy pedals. I was thinking about either the look keo's or shimano spd-sl they seem to be very similar. What pedals does everyone use? This is my first road bike since I was 14 and I have never clipped into a bike besides a stationary one. Any help would be great Thanks. Oh yeah and where is the best places to buy?

First of all...very good question.

I have limited (but I believe accurate) info on this.  The Look Keo's and the Shimano SPD-SL pedals are similar in design.  They are both a "meaty" pedal...meaning that the surface area of the pedal is quite large in comparison to something like a Speedplay pedal.  Some people prefer a larger surface area because of the feel it creates while pedaling.  I haven't used Speedplay...so I'll refrain from comment on whether that's true or not.

The main difference between Look and Shimano is the cleat required to clip in.  They are not the same design, and are not compatible with each other.  The one major difference for those doing triathlons is that some people don't care for the Look cleat if you're running in your bike shoes through transition.  Many people say it's like running with ice skates on.  If you plan to leave your bike shoes clipped in to your pedals while running in and out of transitions, then no big deal.  I will say though that running with Shimano cleats is not exactly like running with regular shoes either.  You still need to "run" a little gingerly to avoid falling.

BUT PLEASE READ THIS...IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT
Whatever you decide, you should go back to the LBS you bought your bike from to get fit for the pedals.  Each pedal has a slightly different height, and that in turn will affect your seat height and position.  The cleat that attaches to your shoe also needs to adjusted to you.  While you could probably just screw it in wherever you want...it could make a huge difference if you actually have it screwed in the optimal position. 

Did the LBS you bought the bike from offer you a fit when you purchased?  Most bike shops at least do a courtesy fit that may range from 20-60 minutes to complete.  Even if they end up charging you for it...I would still advise it.

That being said...I use Shimano SPD-SL pedals and are quite happy with them.  They will take some practice getting used to...and you will tip over eventually.  It happens to even the best.

As far as where the best place to buy is...you can't beat the price of online.  Ebay or Nashbar.com usually has good deals.  You can get a pair of Shimano 105 pedals for about $50-60...compared to about $115 retail.  If you buy online though...I would advise taking it in to the LBS to get installed.  I almost broke a finger trying to change my pedals using a regular wrench.

Anyone else...feel free to chime in with your experiences.

I lack the experience of J  when it comes to commenting on the types of pedals but I have the shimano spd's and I like them as well.  They have been good for me.  They are def a meaty pedal and will probably add could add height to whatever current fit you might have already had.  If you were/are currently using traps I suspect they are a similar height.  However, I do agree the fitting would be a good idea. 

If you don't have the money for a fit try doing some light spinning and check for hip rocking.  If your hips are rocking back and forth you are too high....lower your seat and try again.  I have never had a bike fit and did a lot of reading up to get mine to where it's at now and I am pretty comfortable but it took me a long time to get to where I am now.  I also posted some pics on BT and allowed others to help get me into a decent aero position on a road bike.

As far as falling over when you are learning to unclip.........it GOING to happen.  I have fallen over only a few times but I have only ridden a grand total of 3000 miles since starting to train for Tri's.  I would suggest setting your bike up on a trainer and clipping and unclipping several times.  That's what I did and it seems to be fairly natural now but I will still fall over again....guaranteed!

I just got an 8 mile run in.  I stayed fairly easy today and finished with a 7:58 avg for the run.  This is a pretty consistent easy run for me since finishing my marathon training.  I didn't feel like going out and almost only ran 5-6 miles instead.  I am really glad I ran the scheduled 8 and didn't cut back.  I have eaten way to much the past week to cut back anything that is going to burn calories.

Thanks Dirk, and J. I didn't get my bike from a LBS but know a good one that offers a bike fit.
Thanks,
Jarrod

2010-12-25 11:49 PM
in reply to: #3261538

User image

Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-25 4:45 PM I just went for a short trail run, don't know if it was the wisest thing to do when one is just getting back to running but it was fun. walked a bit and then ran for about 20 minutes. it is getting colder and I am out of shape.... achilles on the left leg bugged me a bit, I don't know why since it was fine last time I ran, hope its only the lack of running

Does your achilles only bother you when running?  Is the problem recent, or has it been going on for a while?

2010-12-25 11:52 PM

User image

I got in a nice 6.7 mile run in tonight before dinner.  I just went out and ran around my neighborhood which is quite rare for me.  I figured with the holiday, the roads would be empty, and they were.  I forgot just how hilly my area is as I averaged about 10 minute miles.  I felt like I was running 9:30's or less, but I guess I was just taking my time going up some of the big hills, and not really going to fast coming back down.

Finished feeling really good though, so that's all that mattered.
2010-12-26 2:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

Name:  krystyna47/Krystyna

Background:  I'm 22 years old! I've played soccer since the age of 4, but after an injury requiring surgery for ACL reconstruction and removal of medial meniscus, I rehabbed the body using swimming, then biking, and finally a return to running. I discovered triathlon by chance while rehabbing, and within a day of learning what it entailed I signed up for an Olympic distance in my hometown exactly 6 months after knee surgery. I fell in love, and since then (Sept 2008), I've completed in several Sprints and Olympics, 3 HIM and am 3 weeks out from my very first iron-distance (Challenge Wanaka, New Zealand). After the ironman, I'm going to spend some time focusing on shorter distances to really get some SPEED in me while I am still young and can recover quickly. But I will definitely return to the half and full distance, that is my passion. 

Family Status: Single and living away from home (I'm Canadian but am studying in Melbourne and spending the summer in New Zealand). LOVING IT!!!!!

Current Training: I'm in the taper for Challenge Wanaka right now, yay!! 

This years races:
The season began in August and is ending with the Challenge in January...
10k Fun Run, Melbourne
Degani Kinglake 70km Ride, Melbourne
12k Coburg Fun Run, Melbourne
St. George Melbourne Half marathon, Melbourne
210km Around the Bay ride, Melbourne
South Island Half-Ironman, Ashburton, NZ

Yet to do... a bunch of short-course stuff as intensity sessions during the taper and then THE BIG ONE, my first ironman!
Dec 27: Lake Hayes Sprint triathlon @ Lake Hayes, NZ
- Jan 2: Sprint triathlon @ Lake Dunstan, NZ
- Jan 8: 5k charity fun run @ Wanaka, NZ
Jan 15: Challenge Wanaka iron-distance @ Wanaka, NZ

Next years races: I've yet to decide what next year's schedule will be like. My seasons are all over the place living in Melbourne but probably returning to Canada for their summer (and probably going to live in Hawaii for a few months as well!!) All I am certain of is that it will be a return to short-course stuff, and maybe ending the season with a HIM or some middle-distance event. I'm unsure, but will figure it out upon return to Melbourne in February! 

Weightloss: I don't have any weight loss goals. I ate like a truck during the big-volume ironman weeks, and now that it is taper I'm trying to get myself to race weight, which is probably 1-2lbs lighter, but it doesn't really matter if I make it or not. I want to get to the start line of Challenge Wanaka happy, healthy and well rested!

Goals for 2011: GET FAST. I think I went "long" at too young of a stage in my life, but I got my taste for it. I love endurance events, I love endurance training. However, I want to get competitive in the distance when I am older and that means focusing on speed now. So that's what I will do!! 

2010-12-26 2:32 AM

Subject: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)
I would definitely like to join in this group too. A bit about me....I just turned 28 last week and every year I set a new goal for myself. I am still recovering from foot surgery that I had close to four months ago. It was only last week that I was able to run again so I am excited to be able to do that. I am a gym rat, I love spinning, don't own a road bike, and only pool swim at the moment, but doing a tri seems like fun. Whle recovering from surgery I did a lot of pool swimming. I love working out and love the challenge that a tri would bring to me. Well this year, my goals are to do my first tri-the Honolulu sprint in May and also the HNL marathon in December. This will be quite an accomplishment as a couple years ago I was severely overweight and couldn't run for beans. Even after foot surgery and having to temporarily change how I worked out, I feel like I am in the best shape of my life. I am totally an amateur but could definitely use the support of this group.

2010-12-26 3:19 AM
in reply to: #3261241

User image

Waikoloa
I went with Shimano on my current (first) bike.  My thought is that they cost less and I dont know enough about what I need/want to spend big money right now.  The other thing is that they lock you in place where as the Look (as I understand it) will allow some twist in the ankle.

2010-12-26 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3261621

User image

krystyna47 - 2010-12-25 9:01 PM

Name:  krystyna47/Krystyna

Background:  I'm 22 years old! I've played soccer since the age of 4, but after an injury requiring surgery for ACL reconstruction and removal of medial meniscus, I rehabbed the body using swimming, then biking, and finally a return to running. I discovered triathlon by chance while rehabbing, and within a day of learning what it entailed I signed up for an Olympic distance in my hometown exactly 6 months after knee surgery. I fell in love, and since then (Sept 2008), I've completed in several Sprints and Olympics, 3 HIM and am 3 weeks out from my very first iron-distance (Challenge Wanaka, New Zealand). After the ironman, I'm going to spend some time focusing on shorter distances to really get some SPEED in me while I am still young and can recover quickly. But I will definitely return to the half and full distance, that is my passion. 

Family Status: Single and living away from home (I'm Canadian but am studying in Melbourne and spending the summer in New Zealand). LOVING IT!!!!!

Current Training: I'm in the taper for Challenge Wanaka right now, yay!! 

This years races:
The season began in August and is ending with the Challenge in January...
10k Fun Run, Melbourne
Degani Kinglake 70km Ride, Melbourne
12k Coburg Fun Run, Melbourne
St. George Melbourne Half marathon, Melbourne
210km Around the Bay ride, Melbourne
South Island Half-Ironman, Ashburton, NZ

Yet to do... a bunch of short-course stuff as intensity sessions during the taper and then THE BIG ONE, my first ironman!
Dec 27: Lake Hayes Sprint triathlon @ Lake Hayes, NZ
- Jan 2: Sprint triathlon @ Lake Dunstan, NZ
- Jan 8: 5k charity fun run @ Wanaka, NZ
Jan 15: Challenge Wanaka iron-distance @ Wanaka, NZ

Next years races: I've yet to decide what next year's schedule will be like. My seasons are all over the place living in Melbourne but probably returning to Canada for their summer (and probably going to live in Hawaii for a few months as well!!) All I am certain of is that it will be a return to short-course stuff, and maybe ending the season with a HIM or some middle-distance event. I'm unsure, but will figure it out upon return to Melbourne in February! 

Weightloss: I don't have any weight loss goals. I ate like a truck during the big-volume ironman weeks, and now that it is taper I'm trying to get myself to race weight, which is probably 1-2lbs lighter, but it doesn't really matter if I make it or not. I want to get to the start line of Challenge Wanaka happy, healthy and well rested!

Goals for 2011: GET FAST. I think I went "long" at too young of a stage in my life, but I got my taste for it. I love endurance events, I love endurance training. However, I want to get competitive in the distance when I am older and that means focusing on speed now. So that's what I will do!! 

Hi Krystna,

Sounds like you've got a very busy schedule the next few weeks.  Welcome to the group.
2010-12-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3261628

User image

wynee2000 - 2010-12-25 9:32 PM I would definitely like to join in this group too. A bit about me....I just turned 28 last week and every year I set a new goal for myself. I am still recovering from foot surgery that I had close to four months ago. It was only last week that I was able to run again so I am excited to be able to do that. I am a gym rat, I love spinning, don't own a road bike, and only pool swim at the moment, but doing a tri seems like fun. Whle recovering from surgery I did a lot of pool swimming. I love working out and love the challenge that a tri would bring to me. Well this year, my goals are to do my first tri-the Honolulu sprint in May and also the HNL marathon in December. This will be quite an accomplishment as a couple years ago I was severely overweight and couldn't run for beans. Even after foot surgery and having to temporarily change how I worked out, I feel like I am in the best shape of my life. I am totally an amateur but could definitely use the support of this group.

Welcome wynee,

I'm assuming your in Hawaii right now?  Raised here?

Sounds like you have some great goals.  I've done both races, and are very well run.  They are both actually having early registration for 2011 right now.  I think the Honolulu Tri's early reg is good till Jan 4th, and the Marathon is good till Jan 15th.  So you may want to check out their website if you feel like committing early.

2010-12-26 11:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-26 11:49 AM

Coastal Carolina
If there is still space I'd like to join...

Name:  Tripopo/Kirk

Background:  I'm 29 and work in law enforcement and was transferred about a year ago to the bike patrol which I have been enjoying.  I am currently on a waiting list for a federal job and need something to keep me interested while trying to maintain physical fitness standards to be approved for hire.  I have no competitive race experience per say.  I grew up in the water as a competitive springboard diver, lifeguard, swim/dive instructor, beachgoer and avid angler.  The last year or so I have been running on a regular basis for the tests but haven't participated in any actual races, short foot races on the job not withstanding, due to being sidelined for kidney surgery.  I have a fairly strong base (I think) in all three sports just need to put them together.  My biggest hurdle will be road bikes and my schedule, rotating shifts random court appearences etc...  currently I ride a Trek mountain bike for work and have a 1984 trek 500 I took from my dad that I am tunning up, I have been trained as one of the bike mechanics for the Department so any questions about maintenace/fixes I might be able to help, until I can purchase a newer model... 

Family Status: 
Newlywed, she's a nurse who works nightshifts so me being out of the house on runs/rides during the day is beneficial to marital bliss

Current Training: Still maintaining and improving for the tests, chinups pushups situps plus sprints and runs,  and once I get my bike fully operational will start on that, not sure where to start on training, I average about 6-12 miles a week running and depending on the day anywhere from 10 to 30 miles on the bike at work, although not really in the "workout" style

2011 races:

Get to the Green 5k in Columbia SC  March 19th

Go Tri Sports at Hilton Head Island Sprint May 21

Tri the Midlands Triathlon (Sprint) June 25

Looking for an Olympic in my area as well

Weightloss:

Hovering around 180 (6"1') but would like to be closer to 170. 

Goals for 2011:

Complete a Sprint sub 1:30 and complete an Olympic

2010-12-26 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3261404

Regular
Hello bwazner/Bryan,

Your profile caught my attention. I am a professor of music education in a Christian liberal arts university in South Carolina. I enjoyed reading your profile (I'm hoping to do my first triathlon in March). It's good to hear that you are working on your health along with  your studies. I would never want to be anything but a music educator, but there is a lot of challenges, especially when you student teach. I learned that I tended to emotionally eat and exercise less as the pressure of teaching and performing increased. Now, I am learning to balance all of that. In fact, you will find that what you learn as a music educator will help you as a triathlete and visa versa--at least that is what I'm learning. I'm glad we're in the same group! Let me know how both goes.

Sue

2010-12-26 4:16 PM

Hello,  My name is Kristen. I would like to join this group if possible.  I am COMPLETELY new to triathlons.
Backround: I am 37 years old.  I am not married and have no children so I have tons of time to train.  I used to be a proffesional equestrian (rode jumpers)  so I thrive on training and competing.  After many injuries I retired from my equestrian career and went back to college to become a teacher.  Many surgeries and alot of time off gave my body time to heal but I also gained a ton of weight.  Over the past four months I have lost a good portion of the weight by altering my eating habits, quitting drinking, and working out daily.  I am starting to crave structured training and competition again so I thought I might try triathlons.  I am a very strong swimmer, ok on the bike, but a horrible runner.   I still have about 50lbs to go to be at my ideal weight so I am hoping once I get there running will be easier.  I live in Ohio so outdoor training is somewhat of a challenge right now. I do belong to a gym and do 45 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weights every day.

So far my plans are to do a mini sprint in May, A sprint relay August 7 (I am swimming), and a sprint triatholon (I may try to do the regular tri if I can get fit enough)at the end of august.  I may try to do some indoor competitions in Feb. and May and add another triathlon mid summer.

I just need someone I can ask questions.  I have no idea what I am doing!!  I have started following a beginner trialthlon training schedule but it seems a bit too easy, except for the running.  Do you have any tips on how to make myself a better runner?  any ways to condition my body for running?  My surgeries were on my knee and ankle so I think the impact of running bothers me sometimes.  I am determined to work past it, I know I can!!!
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks
2010-12-26 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3262072

Master
Fort Wayne
Kristen,
J is the official host of this group but I'll give a shot at answering your questions about running.

To start, make sure you log all of your workouts and make sure your logs are at least viewable to all of us in this group.  Mine are opened to everyone on BT and when you ask questions here it will help us give answers if we can see your logs. 

What kind of running base do you currently have?  MPW?  If your base is low you are going to want to build to probably around 10 miles a week sprread over at least 3 runs,  HOWEVER,  this should be a slow build.  It may be better to focus on the time you spend running rather than the mileage.  Take your time!  Running will create the largest amount of physical stress to your body, in the area of joint damage.  Since you have had knee surgeries, I would make sure you use the bike and swim to help maintain muscular balance required to remain injury free.

Make sure you get some real running shoes from a store that will do a gait analysis.  If you are using the correct shoes it will make a huge difference in your ability to remain injury free aw well.  Many running stores have a return policy that will allow you to return the shoes within 30 days of purchase if they aren't worn badly.  My LRS will allow the return and then return the shoes to the manufacturer for a complete shoe refund to the store.  Take advantage of this if you need to.

I hope I haven't given information you already know.  Feel free to ask more questions and I am sure many of us will weigh in as we go forward.

2010-12-26 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3261080

DirkP - 2010-12-25 8:40 AM So.....I am sitting here waiting for my family to wake up on Christmas morning and checking out everyone's profiles on here.

Mindy, I may want some swim advice since you're offering but I can't think of any direct questions right now.  I will say I would like for my 500 TT to come down from 7:16 to 7:00 or a bit lower before the tri season starts.  I usually only have time for 2 swims a week because I also want to try to pick up some speed on the bike next season.  Over the last week I swam with my daughter twice and we did 28x50 progressing our sets faster every six reps.  They looked like this (copied from my log):
6x50 on :60 (easy):15+ rests
6x50 on :55 (easy) :15-ish
6x50 on :50 (mod-hard):10-ish rest
1 minute rest
6x50 on :45 (hard) :03 rest
3x50 on :40 w/fins (hard) :03 rest
I had to do the last 3 with fins because there was no way I was going t hang with her for those.  She did six while I was only able to do the last 3.  She was finishing with about 5 seconds rest each time on the :40 set and I could only manage 2-3 seconds.  I was pretty shot after that.  It was pretty good fun swimming with her though.

Sorry I'm getting back so late... Christmas Eve and Christmas were pretty crazy with family!  That's a pretty decent workout.  The 50's on :40 are no joke.  There are 2 major differences in open water swimming from regular pool swimming.

1) Head/body position:  
The body position in the pool (I'll try to explain the best I can): your belly button should never really point down to the bottom... you should always be rotating your hips.  In ocean water, you should be a little more flat to help with the breathing and spotting.  But while you're not breathing: ROTATE!  
Your knees in open water should be slightly more bent than pool swimming, but the power from the kick should come from your hips.  By keeping your knees straight (not completely flexed, that will kill your knees) and your toes pointed, the power will come from the hips and not tire your legs out as much.

2) Breathing
In the pool you want your head to be as low as possible and when you breathe only half of your face is supposed to exit the water.  
Unless you want to not breathe the entire open water (especially ocean swimming) the head needs to be more vertical to the
water.  This drops your hips in the water, but that is somewhat balanced out by the buoyancy (sp?) of the salt water. 

T
his is a lot of information to intake, but I wanted to post it so anyone can come back see it, or if any other swimmer can add.  I've swum 2 open water swims.  A 5k lake swim and a 10k ocean swim.  Breathing was the biggest change for me.  It's also one of the hardest things to get a handle on because it goes against nature.

Edited by swimmindy 2010-12-26 5:27 PM
2010-12-26 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3262142

Master
Fort Wayne
Thanks Mindy,
The correct breathing technique is a crutch of mine.  I definitely over rotate my head when breathing.  I am currently trying to work on this.  I used to be better than I am now but I was using different goggles than I originally used and the way the water would shed from my face last winter allowed me to turn more correctly.  Those goggles started leaking and I couldn't find another pair of the same brand so I opted for some Speedo goggles that had me getting water up my nose.  I have since found the Aqua Sphere goggles that I had been using and now I am adapting back to them.

As far as rotation I am working on this too and trying to work on stretching out more and gliding, especially when tired.  Trying to rotate my hips slightly less than my shoulders is kind of hard for me.  I have been rotating my shoulder far more than any hips and I find myself using my arms and shoulders way too much.

2010-12-26 6:00 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Luckily for me my sister is a competitive runner and sponsored by Nike so I was able to use her resources to be fit for proper running shoes.  I put alot of time in swimming and biking so I feel very strong I just feel week when it comes to running.  I do better on the treadmill but I am going to follow your advice and try to have a ten mile goal for each week. My sister said it is just a matter of getting out there and doing it and pushing through.  I will definately fill out the training log as I could use as much help as I can get.

2010-12-26 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3261594

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
tri808 - 2010-12-25 11:49 PM
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-25 4:45 PM I just went for a short trail run, don't know if it was the wisest thing to do when one is just getting back to running but it was fun. walked a bit and then ran for about 20 minutes. it is getting colder and I am out of shape.... achilles on the left leg bugged me a bit, I don't know why since it was fine last time I ran, hope its only the lack of running

Does your achilles only bother you when running?  Is the problem recent, or has it been going on for a while?

it bugged me a bit last year around march but then trained throughout the summer with zero pain, it never has been too much to make stop, just a small distraction, and yes it only bothers me while running, today I played soccer and volleyball with some friends and was never an issue, will go for a tiny short run later to see how it reacts...
Ill keep yall posted.
2010-12-26 7:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Hi all!  I would like to join this group if possible.  I am very similar to Sue.

Name:  Norma

Story:  I am completely new to tris.  I've been batting the possibility of entering a sprint tri for more then a year.  I am 50 and very active; currently train in taekwondo and am a second degree black belt.  I also teach my own fitness class four days a week (a hybrid interval/total body workout class).  I've run many 5ks and some 10ks.  Haven't been able to wrap my mind around half or full marathons.  I run but I don't love it.  The thought of running long distances doesn't interest me.  I like to be challenged.  Like Sue, I am easily bored so I would not do well trying to slog through longer distances.  I am doing Warrior Dash in March as a challenge and hope to do a sprint tri in May in Austin and one in September in Tyler.  (If you haven't guessed, I live in Texas.)  I've purchased my bike - a Trek hybrid.  Took it out for the first time today, riding a little over 4 miles.  I realize I will have to build up on this because my crotch and shoulders are sore. Tongue out  Eating and weight are not issues.  I've been at the same weight for the past 5+ years.  Swimming is ok.  I can put my head in water if I have goggles.  I am not a trained swimmer, but can swim in open water with no problem.

Family Status:   Married, with 2 children, 18 & 14. 

Thanks for having this forum!

2010-12-26 8:36 PM

New user

Is there still room for one more?
2010-12-26 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3260759

Veteran
Maryland
tri808 - 2010-12-24 4:18 PM
pdc33 - 2010-12-24 5:27 AM Hello! I would like to join this group! Please let me know if there is still room, and I will post my info!

Still plenty of room.  Welcome aboard!

NAME: pdc33/Pauline

STORY: I've wanted to do a tri for some time, and back in 2005 I tried to prepare for one. Unfortunately, due to the swim, I was unsuccessful so started the challenge of running. (Lots of 5K's, a few half marathons and one full marathon over the years). Lately, running isn't really the challenge I need, and I'm really wanting to do a tri again. A free swim lesson at my gym shows there IS hope for me with swimming! I'm finally feeling confident that I will be able to swim, I'll just need to learn proper form, then work to complete the distance.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, but dating a wonderful man for three years now

CURRENT TRAINING: My current training is lots of cardio, because my gym is having a competition (winners get three months free membership) so I've been doing lots of cardio in December. In January I plan on swimming and strength training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): Eight 5K's and two half marathons (the Maryland Double)

2011 RACES: I want to complete my first tri in April!

WEIGHT LOSS: I have quite a bit of weight to lose due to past years of stupid eating. So far I've lost ten pounds. When I lose 17 more, I'll hit my first goal of 150.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45