BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-01-06 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3283507

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full
Kate - usually the best time to buy a bike is in the winter, two reason, business is slow because people can not ride, thus sales and also bikes are like cars, when the 2011 models come out the 2010 models are reduced in price, so you can find a 2010 bike at a good price

I looked at the BT training programs, most of them look good and they are free, just click on the Programs icon on the top of the page and look to see what one fits your training needs.

Rachel - Well, I dont know how not to turn your hair not green. Try the pedaling hard for a block, easy for a block, tis is also interval training, keep moving, we will get you to the finish line.

Todd - riding on a trainer is actually great training, I second the choice of Spinervals, great workout and will make you stronger on the bike. You can do spin ups and try ot hold 1 min intervals of 100+ rpm in your small gear to work on your cadence, I will search for some gearing info for you

Rob - I have never heard that compression makes your muscles weaker, it helps circulate the blood out of the compressed areas, compression is best used for recovery, the verdict is still out if it helps with during training and races, though I believe it does

Bob - I use to get my L Glutamine at GNC, best to try and get it during the Gold Card specials. It is best taken before and after workouts. As for the the aminos, I do not know the answer to that, maybe someone in our group can help us out with that.

2011-01-06 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3257607

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Hey, thanks--I checked out the programs I found on here, and I think I found one that 'Clicks'...as its a 12 week one and I'm still 16 weeks out, I figure I will get to the point where I can do the actual workout---I've got to recheck it, I forget what its called; I just wrote down what I have to do...
I also may have found a bike; I checked the road bike outlets site, and they have some great prices + free shipping...So I will most likely order my bike as soon as I get my money and am sure of the size that I need. Yay!
In the mean time, I'll stick to the gym for my training.
2011-01-06 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3283612

User image

Expert
kgore - 2011-01-06 10:41 PM Hey, thanks--I checked out the programs I found on here, and I think I found one that 'Clicks'...as its a 12 week one and I'm still 16 weeks out, I figure I will get to the point where I can do the actual workout---I've got to recheck it, I forget what its called; I just wrote down what I have to do...
I also may have found a bike; I checked the road bike outlets site, and they have some great prices + free shipping...So I will most likely order my bike as soon as I get my money and am sure of the size that I need. Yay!
In the mean time, I'll stick to the gym for my training.

You can also start now with the program, and repeat the second month, just an idea
2011-01-06 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3283577

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-07 8:57 AM

Expert
Question for Today

What are some of things you want to know about racing, training, or gear?
2011-01-07 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3284226

2011-01-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3284446

Expert
FoggyGoggles - 2011-01-07 11:21 AM
TriDiesel - 2011-01-07 8:57 AM Question for Today

What are some of things you want to know about racing, training, or gear?

- When considering additions / upgrades to your bike, what are some of the biggest difference makers? (ie - Do Zipp wheels make enough difference to substantiate the cost?)

- When transitioning from the bike to the run, is it better to hit your run pace immediately or warm up to it?

Foggy

- I will need to find the sheet of cost vs time savings I cam across to answer your bike question, my personal opinion, unless you are pro, buying Zipp wheels do not justify the cost of them, now there are cheaper wheels on the market that are more " affordable" then Zipps and I will provide some examples

- When you get off the bike and start the run, your legs will feel like noodles for a bit, start at a slower pace till your legs feel back to running normal, then settle into your pace.
2011-01-07 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3284226

East Windsor, NJ

great question.  Here's a couple:
I'm new and totally up in the air as to what apparell to wear for a sprint tri?  I figure its in July so I wont need a wetsuit.  What should I prepare to get for each leg of the race?  Is it short enough distance that one outfit would fill all my needs?  Right now this is the most confusing part. 

I just got some barracuda swim trunks and plan to use them for everything.  Do I bother with anything up top for the swim?  I have some dri-fit tops for the bike and would probably use them to run as well.  Any direction on this front would be great help.

2011-01-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3284675

Expert
Olindo517 - 2011-01-07 12:44 PM

great question.  Here's a couple:
I'm new and totally up in the air as to what apparell to wear for a sprint tri?  I figure its in July so I wont need a wetsuit.  What should I prepare to get for each leg of the race?  Is it short enough distance that one outfit would fill all my needs?  Right now this is the most confusing part. 

I just got some barracuda swim trunks and plan to use them for everything.  Do I bother with anything up top for the swim?  I have some dri-fit tops for the bike and would probably use them to run as well.  Any direction on this front would be great help.

I woulfd suggest investing in a pair of good tri shorts, they are designed to swim, bike and run in them, they dry quick and have a light chamois pad for biking that you will barely notice on the run. Right now, you might be able to find a pair on sale or clearance because it is the off season. You can get a tri top, which is also designed to wear the whole race, it is basicallly a quick drying, super tight sleeveless bike jersey that allows you to swim bike and run in it. If you dont want a tri jersey, you can swim in just your tri shorts and put on any shirt on in transition, but since you are wet, it might be a little difficult to get on. There is also the option of a full tri suit, I have never worn one, but they are the same as tri top and short

Example of tri short
http://www.trisports.com/desoto-mens-forza-lowcut-triathlon-short.html

Example of tri top
http://www.trisports.com/desoto-mens-carrera-tri-top1.html

Example of a tri suit
http://www.trisports.com/desoto-forza-trisuit-mens.html

2011-01-07 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3284747

2011-01-07 6:03 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
here's my question; not quite gear or actual race related, but here goes:
I am planning on competing in the Auburn triathlon near Sacramento in May--they have a Mini tri, a Sprint Tri and Half Iron...I've been planning on doing the sprint; however, I met a some people at work today who are have done quite a few triathlons, and they said that this is one of the toughest local ones to do as it has HUGE elevation changes...As I am not exactly fit and this is my first attempt, should I attempt the sprint or go for the mini? I will struggle with the mini, but I'm pretty sure I could at least do it--the sprint is probably questionable, but I do like a challenge!
Opinions?
Thanks everyone! 

2011-01-07 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3285609

Regular
Roseville, CA

kgore - 2011-01-07 6:03 PM here's my question; not quite gear or actual race related, but here goes:
I am planning on competing in the Auburn triathlon near Sacramento in May--they have a Mini tri, a Sprint Tri and Half Iron...I've been planning on doing the sprint; however, I met a some people at work today who are have done quite a few triathlons, and they said that this is one of the toughest local ones to do as it has HUGE elevation changes...As I am not exactly fit and this is my first attempt, should I attempt the sprint or go for the mini? I will struggle with the mini, but I'm pretty sure I could at least do it--the sprint is probably questionable, but I do like a challenge!
Opinions?
Thanks everyone! 

There are plenty of other one's in the Sacramento area that are not so challenging. I have heard that one has a really tough bike section with a good amount of elevation change for a short tri. 

2011-01-08 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3285609

New user

What is the difference between a mini and a sprint distance?  I would go for the most attainable goal...don't set yourself up for failure.Cool
2011-01-08 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3286182

2011-01-08 10:11 AM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I'm tending to agree...So I will do the Mini distance for this one--the distances are a 500 meter swim, an 8 mile bike ride, and 2.5 mile run. Thanks!
2011-01-08 2:29 PM

New user

Katy
Bronze member

What plan are you using and how are you doing at it?

2011-01-09 7:16 AM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Alright, signing up for a Tri is the plan. Now to start looking for them. I am in Northern Ontario, about 700-800 Kms north of Toronto, so there are not that many in my vicinity, just one in my town in mid-July. I have always been looking at doing the 70.3 in Muskoka, is this attainable if the race is in September and I have up to this point never done an actual triathlon? I did just complete my first 10K road race a month ag, so I was pretty pumped on that.
2011-01-09 1:00 PM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Never really introduced myself before so here I am

NAME: Justin

STORY: Really looking to get solidified into a healthy lifestyle through triathlon training. I am 28 now and I am begining to realize that over eating crap and not getting some consistant exercise in will seriously cramp my style in the future. I have been interested in triathlon for a few years, but I haven't had the guts to pull the trigger and actually complete one. I joined the mentor program last year and it really helped me get motivated and then life got in the way a little and even though I was training, I didn't really give myself any goals. I did just complete a 10K a month ago which I am happy with, and now I just have to keep it rolling.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged, Wedding June this year!

CURRENT TRAINING: Swim Twice a week, Run 2-3 times a week, trying to add in some bodyweight resistance training. No real biking going on in the snow, but looking at getting a Tri bike/trainer, or finding some spin classes

2011 RACES: Sudbury Rocks 10K start of May, Ottawa Half Marathon end of May, Heart of Gold Sprint mid July, other races I find, possibly Muskoka 70.3 in September

Weightloss: currently I am a severly out of shape person at 225lbs on my 5'11" frame, with a pretty high body fat percentage. THIS HAS TO CHANGE

Really looking forward to being part of the group.

2011-01-09 5:34 PM

Expert
Kate - I would suggest the mini, then for your next one, do the sprint.

Rachel - Right now, I am on Ben Greenfields 36 week Ironman training program

Foggy - 

2011-01-09 5:35 PM

Expert
That chart was real low on the cost of tires, a Zipp set is around $2500. You can find cheaper wheels like Planet X, Mavic, Hed.
2011-01-10 6:46 AM

Expert
Monday Mornng Motivation 

Your boss doesn't care if you spent 90 minutes on the trainer before work. Your Mom doesn't understand why you want a bike worth more then your car. Who wants to run that far anyways? You know, girls don't like guys who are that work out junkies. Co-Workers talk behind your back about how you always smell like chlorine after lunch. Your friends are too busy chasing tail and styling their hair to realize the commitment you are undertaking. All this, and they say we are self-absorbed.

What more noble and dignified pursuit could there be than pushing the envelope of what we were meant to be? What is wrong with wanting more than the regular? Let me tell you what is wrong… NOTHING! When it all comes down, and its time to pay the tab, you know you are paid in full. Let those others stand there looking at each other, waiting to see who has a mid-life crisis first.

Damage to one's being and mind cannot be undone, and likewise, strength and endurance cannot be pounded into place without much strife and struggle. After many hours of sacrifice and many days of physical stress, you will come to know who you are and what sets you apart from others.

Please do as I have tried to do and do not be discouraged, no matter how long your path is. It is for the best. Remember, if it were easy, everyone would do it. Champions are built brick by painful brick and that can take a lifetime. Sometimes it can happen without anyone even bothering to notice. Take heart. The mountains you climb can't always be seen by an audience... Still, you must not stop climbing. You Might Surprise Yourself!!!

Edited by TriDiesel 2011-01-10 6:47 AM

2011-01-10 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3289257

New user

Thanks for the Monday Morning Motivation!  Snowed in here and going nuts!Frown
2011-01-10 7:23 AM

Expert
What was everyones training over the weekend?

What was something fun/interesting you did this weekend that wasnt training related?
2011-01-10 8:48 AM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Great motivation!
This weekend, my training consisted of some laps in the pool---slow and not very smoooth, but laps nonetheless--and some weight work with the legs. I still need to post it in my training log...
Unfortunately, I work all weekend, so unless you count my actual job as fun (most of the time I do! ) I didn't do anything else fun wise. On my actual weekend (Tues/Weds) I plan on going out to the river parkway for birdwatching and biking--always guaranteed enjoyment!
2011-01-10 10:23 AM

Regular
Corona
Awesome motivational moment.

Weekend consisted of the So Cal Half Marathon and finally getting over the chest cold that I've had for the last week and a half.

The half went well for the first 10 miles and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe. Between hacking up a lung and the 500 or so students that would stop and walk right in front of you it was a pretty good time. I always enjoy a good distance run and this was no exception.

I signed up for the sprint tri on the base in Los Alamitos, CA in February and have been able to talk some of my co workers into doing it with me. So it should be a good time.

I am focusing on the bike for this one. So any workouts you want to shoot to me would be awesome. I am planning on doing a long ride this upcoming Saturday and hitting a few morning rides on the trainer if I can get up early enough.

Big Daddy I saw your comment about crossfit and tri's and how crossfit benefits my training. I enjoy crossfit because of the mix of cardio and lifting I get. It allows me to really hammer my workouts when I need to but I think the biggest benefit is the mental workout it gives me. I find I really have to focus and zone out in order to get these things done so when I'm doing hard intervals or longer tempo runs I can zone out and get after it.

Thanks for your support and info you give all of us.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 15