BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-04 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3276313

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - OPEN
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-04 7:16 AM David thanks for all the info on your bike. I have just started training for my first tri and I don't even own a bike. I have been using stationary at gym. I am hoping to get bike near the end of Feb so hoping you and the rest of the group will be able to give me some tips.

I'm no bike expert, but I'd suggest whatever road bike you can get that fits into the top end of whatever your bike budget is!  Borrow, buy new from a local shop, craigslist, bikesdirect.com are all good options.  The single most important thing is FIT!  there are some decent online fit calculators, like http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO , though the best option is to have an in person fitting done by a local bike shop.

I posted my race log for my first race as suggested by Drew while it was still relatively fresh in my mind. Also figured out that the training schedule I chose had two a day workouts. Which is totally workable, but I rode my 24 minutes yesterday and then tried to jump in the pool and was exhausted. I think that I am going to use the beginners 18 workout to 500 meters for swim over next six weeks and then reevaluate. This way I can ease into the swim. Any thoughts on this idea? This is first time in at least 20 years I've tried to actually train so could use all suggestions given. Also should I be training at a pace where I can still have conversations? I usually push harder than that, or should I be basing things off HR? My resting HR seems to be at 70. Hope being the new guy won't be overwhelming to everyone as I have lots of questions.

I subscribe to the 'conversational' training level.  But my main focus is on improving my base, getting fit, losing weight and NOT GETTING HURT!  Almost all of my training is at a fairly easy effort level.  It took a long time till I could run at a conversational level without needing walk breaks, but I did get there.  One of my guides is that if I wake up really sore and it compromises my workout for that day, then I went too hard the previous day.  Consistency is key, you want to be able to work out every day (more or less) without hurting too much. 

As to combining workouts, I found I can pretty easily go from a swim to either a bike or run, but not the other way around.  If I bike or run first, then swim, my legs start to cramp up within about 20 minutes and I can't get in a very good swim workout.  Just my experience... 

2011-01-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3276489

User image

Extreme Veteran
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-04 10:05 AM

I subscribe to the 'conversational' training level.  But my main focus is on improving my base, getting fit, losing weight and NOT GETTING HURT!  Almost all of my training is at a fairly easy effort level.  It took a long time till I could run at a conversational level without needing walk breaks, but I did get there.  One of my guides is that if I wake up really sore and it compromises my workout for that day, then I went too hard the previous day.  Consistency is key ...

Build your base. Conversational is the way to go right now. It is much easier to add speed to a solid base – without burnout or injury.

I agree completely. All of us can run ourselves into the ground. This workout right now is not as important as the big picture. You are only as good as your next workout!

suggest whatever road bike you can get that fits into the top end of whatever your bike budget is!

I road an entry level road bike with sora components for 5000+ miles. I bought an entry level road bike with sora components and promised myself I would not upgrade until 5000+ miles. That was twso years ago.

Now I have nicer bikes but they are not necessary. My road bike and my tri bike have both been bought second hand (nearly new). You just have to be patient looking at craigslist and ebay or friends and family. People upgrade all the time.
2011-01-04 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
If it's not too late, I'd like to join in also. 

I'll add a bit about me as soon as I get back from my lunch run, I just wanted to throw my name in the hat before you officially closed up shop.

Back shortly.
2011-01-04 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
If there is room, I want in too!  I will start getting my story typed up and posted today :-).  
2011-01-04 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
User name:  Dixbry

Story:  My name is Dixie. My husband is in the military and gone tons.  I started running at the end of 07 to get back into shape after having my last child and to get a little break from "single parenting".  The first year I did a couple of halfs marys.  Then in beginning of '09 I joined a Tri girls group at my local Y.  I started being able to fake swim in the water but had no clue how to free style.  This will be the start of my third year in Tris. Up to this point, I have done only sprint distances, a full marathon and a bunch of smaller races.  

Family Status:  Married, three kids, ages 9, 7, and 4.

Current Training:  I am a member of a Tri Club that meets three days a week, I am following a custom plan that incorporates those workouts and the other that I need to get in to be able to properly train for a Half distance Tri.

This Years Races:  My main big ones are the White Lake Half, and Patriot Half.  Some  smaller races and Century rides also.

No weightloss goals.  Really just need to firm up a bit.

Edited by Dixbry 2011-01-04 11:07 AM
2011-01-04 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3276619

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome Mandsberry!  You're in.

2011-01-04 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3276724

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome, Dixbry.  You're going to be the last one in (unless someone jumps in while I'm updating the thread title)!
2011-01-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3276732

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Alright, crew.  We are officially full.  I'm stoked on the team that we have. Below is a list of the team (username - name) for your reference.  If I've made any mistakes just let me know:

• Otter_sh – Steve
  • Need to be Faster – Tom
  • UTMrunner – Darrell
  • Helenmelon – Helen?
  • FSU1 - Rick
  • Bledsoepatriot – Bert
  • Microspawn – James
  • Norcal_SAHD - David
  • Monkey Claw – Tim
  • RookieIM - Josh
  • Hollz – Holly
  • Mikered111 – Mike
  • Bendart – Ben
  • gcoller - unknown
  • Mandsberry - unknown
  • Dixbry - Dixie

2011-01-04 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3274819

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-03 1:45 PM Welcome RookieIM and Holly!  Definitely happy to have you join!  

We are at 11 right now, so we have room for about 4 more if people are interested.  

Holly - we expect your full life story...get typing.

Drew

Ok. Well, thanks for the encouragement!! My tri life started 3 years or so ago with a desire to quit smoking again .. I have smoked off  (age 27-38)and on (ages 16-27 and 38-47)...so the first time I quit, I started jogging and that pretty much worked, as any of you that have tried to smoke and run will atest to..but then I started having knee issues and quit running. Stayed off the cigarettes until started a new profession in my late 30's and got stressed and heck -everyone smoked...so started again. So fast forward 8 years and I want to quit again and think, triathlon. Maybe if I don't only run, my knees will hold up. Used to swim back in middle school-why not? Talked a couple of friends into training with me and found this website, printed the couch to sprint and completed the first sprint that next summer...(kept smoking a little by the way). Loved the training and the event and wanted to do more. So I have completed several sprints/ 5k's and 7k's... I just got a new bike for Christmas/ 49th birthday and I am really excited about going Olympic this summer. I haven't picked my exact races but hope to complete 2 olys and 2 sprints fo sho.

Personal: married-30 years...I am working on this guy to complete a sprint this summer. he had knee replacement a year ago and has been a swimming and biking training buddy..Wow-he could barely swim a 100 a year ago-but looks pretty dang good in the water now. 2 grown sons - 28 and 25...they are grown but not grown up!! And 2 dogs-who are now my babies. Max 110 lb. Newfoundland mix and 45 lb. Isis-border collie mix.

My other hobbies are hiking ( I live in the foothills west of Denver at about 8500 feet with lots of beautiful hiking right in my back yard.) Pottery-love to play in the mud. Reading and movies..

I guess that's all for me. I am looking forward to the expertise, encouragement, and support. I have started logging my diet and workouts...I am working on the 20 week Olympic training plan with run emphasis. Running is just always hard for me and I am super slow and have never run a 10k yet.  so...thanks in advance for all the excitement we are going to share.

Holly-Golden, CO

2011-01-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3275825

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-03 11:15 PM And a question, what's everyone riding?  What's your winter setup (trainer in the living room?  garage?  rollers?  hardcore with studded tires outside in the snow?)

I live in LA, so I'm usually able to ride outside all year long.  Because of the heavy rain, I've been on the trainer quite a bit lately.  As for actual bikes I have (and ride):

- Road: '09 Specialized Tarmac Elite
- Tri: '08 (I think) Quintana Roo Lucero
- Trainer: Cycleops Fluid2

How is everyone dealing with riding the trainer?  Honestly, I find it mind-numbing and it about kills me to get in 2 hours.  I find an hour difficult.

David - random quesiton.  How tall are you?

2011-01-04 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Bert,

I'm going to echo what others have already said.  You shouldn't be focused on intensity at this point.  You are just starting out, so your goal should be consistency and building a "base."  Think of it like buying a new car.  You have to break in the engine by driving it at a slow, steady pace before you can start gunning it.  Pushing the engine too hard, too early, can result in damage.  The same goes for your body.

To give you an actual example - in college (and I follow this now in tris) our team would "build our base" in the summer leading into the XC season.  We would start out very easy, and increase our milage (not intensity) by ~10% per week for 2 months.  We didn't even approach speed work until 2.5-3 months into training.  This was with a group of D1 athletes who had all been training consistently for years.  You need to build your aerobic base, which in turn will allow you to excel when start with your intense workouts.

You may feel like you are going too easy for awhile, but as the mileage increases and you slowly work intensity into your workouts, you will be glad you got your body ready first.

Drew  

2011-01-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3276851

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Holly - thanks for the background!  Congrats on making the choice to quit smoking (again).  I think the triathlon lifestyle can definitely help with that.  While I know it will be a struggle, I'm positive you'll find motivation and encouragement from this group.  It sounds like we have a few people who are in the process or did quit smoking, so I'm sure they can offer some advice as well.

Drew 
2011-01-04 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Last year I went from swimming a little up to 500 yrds in my pool to working with a Master's swim club at the local Aquatic center.  I pushed too hard and increased to much, since it was only swimming and felt ok.  I am now in the 7th week of rehab after having my shoulder repaired, I basically ripped the bicep muscle area off.  So just be careful as you increase your swimming.

My setup is a bike on trainer in back room, since I can not ride on streets due to shoulder.  Have an elliptical and treadmill in garage, but they see little use.  Walked outside today during lunch.
2011-01-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3276729

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-04 12:02 PM Welcome Mandsberry!  You're in.

Awesome!!! 

Background:
My name is Michael Berry.  I'm married with 3 daughters, ages 17, 6, and 3.  I'll be 42 this year and this is my 3rd season for triathlon.  I was very active in sports though high school, but stopped almost completely following graduation.  My weight fluctuated between 240-270 until late 2008 when I was able to drop 60 pounds in an office weight loss contest, primarily through running with a group of coworkers at lunch.

In March 2009, I was a spectator for a local Sprint Triathlon and after talking to some of the competitors, I was excited to give it a shot.   I bought a used road bike (2003 Trek 1200) and signed up for my first event in July, which completely hooked me to the sport.

Unfortunately, while exploring my new found fitness, I ended up with some painful IT Band issues training for a Marathon.  It's something that keeps cropping up on me.

Last year, ?d?e?s?p????i???t???e?? m?y weight climbing???i?n?g back ??i?nto?????? the ?2?2?0’s, I completed 3 Sprints and an Oly, of which I was near DFL for my age group in all – mostly due to weight and lack of training.

2011 Events

Triathlon = 2 Sprints, 1 Oly (actually a bit short of an Oly) and 1 Half.  Running = 2 Half Mary’s, plus a few shorter distance events for fun.  I may add another Oly depending on availability.

If I have an “A” race, for 2011 – it will be the Half Tri in September (Patriot's which I just read someone else in this group is going to do) – so I’ve got 9 months to really prepare.

2011 Training

I’m really just starting my training again.  I do log all of my workouts, but I may not be logging them all correctly – so any input is appreciated.  I also should add that I am going to have to incorporate yoga/stretching activities in my training to keep my legs/ITbands from acting up.  

Most of my bicycling during winter is usually spin class, or I have a trainer.  I should add that I will upgrade my road bike this year to a tri bike – but that probably won’t happen until June/July.

I didn't plan on hitting the pool until Feb - but I really welcome any feedback.  I don't really have a lot of direction at this point.

Goals for 2011

1.  Drop/maintain weight to sub 180 by May
  2. Complete Patriot’s Half Tri in Sep
  3. See significant improvements in both my run & bike pace from my current levels.
2011-01-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3276937

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-04 11:11 AM Holly - thanks for the background!  Congrats on making the choice to quit smoking (again).  I think the triathlon lifestyle can definitely help with that.  While I know it will be a struggle, I'm positive you'll find motivation and encouragement from this group.  It sounds like we have a few people who are in the process or did quit smoking, so I'm sure they can offer some advice as well.

Drew 

thanks Drew! I actually quit 2 years ago in January after that first tri season...I felt like such a hypocrite that it was the easiest quit ever.

ok. Question-I am going to be fitted for this new bike at the end of the month and have to choose pedals..I have been riding a 17 year old diamondback hibrid with pedal cages. I am comfortable with the cages. I am very afraid of clip pedals. Maybe I've seen too many / heard too many of the stories of people not being able to or forgetting to twist and unclip and falling. Really, is there that much of a gain in using clip pedals-keep in mind I am not and will never be a pro tri or bike athlete. I only aim to beat myself and have no delusions of grandeur about this at all.

What say you all?
2011-01-04 1:43 PM

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

USERNAME:
 loper245

STORY:
    I have never been much of an athlee growing up, as the closest I ever got was bowling. Throughout my years I have always wanted to get into shape and become healthier. I have tried everything from P90x to attempting to go to the gym, but to no avail. Recently at work, we held a weight loss competition and over the course of 8 weeks I lost over 10% of my body weight and weighed in at 199 on the last day. About 4 weeks into the competition, I found out that just controlling my diet would not let me below a certain point, so I took up running. I have loved it ever since. I have a very addictive personality, so when I find something I like, I do it to an extreme, almost to a detriment. About a month ago I put some money where my mouth is and signed up for both a half marathon on May 22, and a full marathon on May 1st. 1 week after I signed up during a run I noticed that my foot was hurting, so just to be safe I went to a podiatrist and I found out that I have an avulsion fracture in my right foot. I have an aspiration to come off this injury and finish those 2 races. Then it will be on to an olympic triathalon on July 24th and then a full ironman next year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 6 month old boy.

CURRENT TRAINING: 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am currently training for a full marathon and a half marathon both in May, and hopefully an olympic distance triathalon in July. 

2012 RACES:
  The big goal is Full Ironman in Oct. 2012.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Although this is not the primary goal, losing 5-15 pounds would not be bad.

2011-01-04 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3277232

loper245 - 2011-01-04 1:43 PM WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

USERNAME:
 loper245, name is Doug

STORY:
    I have never been much of an athlete growing up, as the closest I ever got was bowling. Throughout my years I have always wanted to get into shape and become healthier. I have tried everything from P90x to attempting to go to the gym, but to no avail. Recently at work, we held a weight loss competition and over the course of 8 weeks I lost over 10% of my body weight and weighed in at 199 on the last day. About 4 weeks into the competition, I found out that just controlling my diet would not let me below a certain point, so I took up running. I have loved it ever since. I have a very addictive personality, so when I find something I like, I do it to an extreme, almost to a detriment. About a month ago I put some money where my mouth is and signed up for both a half marathon on May 22, and a full marathon on May 1st. 1 week after I signed up during a run I noticed that my foot was hurting, so just to be safe I went to a podiatrist and I found out that I have an avulsion fracture in my right foot. I have an aspiration to come off this injury and finish those 2 races. Then it will be on to an olympic triathalon on July 24th and then a full ironman next year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 6 month old boy.

CURRENT TRAINING: 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am currently training for a full marathon and a half marathon both in May, and hopefully an olympic distance triathalon in July. 

2012 RACES:
  The big goal is Full Ironman in Oct. 2012.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Although this is not the primary goal, losing 5-15 pounds would not be bad.

fixed spelling
2011-01-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3277045

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
mandsberry - 2011-01-04 1:48 PM
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-04 12:02 PM Welcome Mandsberry!  You're in.

2011 Events

Triathlon = 2 Sprints, 1 Oly (actually a bit short of an Oly) and 1 Half.  Running = 2 Half Mary’s, plus a few shorter distance events for fun.  I may add another Oly depending on availability.

If I have an “A” race, for 2011 – it will be the Half Tri in September (Patriot's which I just read someone else in this group is going to do) – so I’ve got 9 months to really prepare.

That would be me.  I did the sprint in 2010 and really enjoyed it.  I am excited about doing the half this year.  I love that I don't have to travel far too! 

2011-01-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3277343

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Dixbry - 2011-01-04 3:21 PM
That would be me.  I did the sprint in 2010 and really enjoyed it.  I am excited about doing the half this year.  I love that I don't have to travel far too! 

Yes, I did the Patriot Sprint in 2010 also.  I just looked at your page, and it appears we're both doing Smithfield and Shamrock 1/2 in 2011.  Might have to say hello at some point.

2011-01-04 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3277149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollz - 2011-01-04 1:17 PM

• .. and I have to choose pedals... Really, is there that much of a gain in using clip pedals-keep in mind I am not and will never be a pro tri or bike athlete.

• Yes clipless pedals are that important (they are called clipless pedals because they don’t have toe clips – I know, confusing). When you are clipped in you feel like you are more a part of the bike. They also help to deliver more power with each revolution. It can be argued about how much power is gained pulling up on the pedal but once you switch you will never go back.

And yes, you will fall down. It happens to everyone. They will not be high speed falls but more like you roll to a slow stop and forget. You struggle for a second or two and topple over. The most dangerous place is obviously on the street (like near a stop sign). You will feel like a fool and think that everyone is laughing at you. But you will jump right up and struggle to get clipped back in and be awkward and go about your business.

It is best to practice a few times on a grass lawn but you will still fall over on concrete.
    2011-01-04 5:15 PM

User image

Sunderland
    Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
    +1 on the clipless pedals.  Once you get used to them, which doesn't take all that long, you'll never go back to toe clips.  I bought clipless pedals for my first real mountain bike (15 years ago) and practiced getting in and out of them in a parking lot.  In hindsight, that probably wasn't the best place to practice but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  I fell over two or three times on trails, usually when I stalled going up a hill, but after a week or so, I was good to go.  They may seem weird, and you'll need to buy some shoes but I think they're totally worth it.  Without a doubt.

My current ride is a '97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro.  I bought it new and have developed what is probably an unhealthy attachment to it.  With that said, I'm going to buy a Specialized Roubaix with my tax refund.  I've wanted a road bike for years but it was never too high on my list of priorities.  I blessed to be in a position to buy one now and I absolutely can't wait.  I don't have rollers or a trainer.  I thought about buying a trainer but I have a really small (tiny) apartment with thin walls and I just don't think it will work out.  

I used to ride my mountain bike around during the winter (on the road) but I haven't done so in the past few years (couch potato-itis).  Right now I'm concentrating on building a solid base of running.  I've never been much of a runner so it's been a bit of challenge to build up to the point that I can run 3 or so miles without keeling over.  When I started running in July, I totally over did it and ended up injuring my knees.  I've learned my lesson and have been focusing on consistency rather than distance and speed.

I've been following our thread all day at work on my iPhone and I have to say, I am so excited to be a part of this group.  This is really, really cool.  You guys rock.  I love reading everyone's posts.

-ben

2011-01-04 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
    Chesapeake, VA
    +2 for clipless.    It is not a matter of if you will fall, but when.   Best to just get it over with. It quickly becomes second nature to clip in and clip out. 

2011-01-04 6:07 PM

User image

Master
    Sedona, AZ
    Add me in as a fan of clipless pedals. They're not that hard to get used to. Just loosen up the tension so that they are easy to get out of. You may fall once or twice, especially if you're new to riding. I can't remember falling with the clipless pedals, but I used to race with toe clips and cleats. I definitely fell in those a time or two!
    2011-01-04 6:17 PM
    in reply to: #3276859

User image

Expert
    andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-04 9:46 AM How is everyone dealing with riding the trainer?  Honestly, I find it mind-numbing and it about kills me to get in 2 hours.  I find an hour difficult. 

2 hours?  yeah, that would be rough.  I don't think I've ever done more than an hour at once on the rollers.  And that usually has a few 30 second water/butt breaks in there (I have to stop for butt breaks, cause I'm not good enough to stand while riding on the rollers...).  I used to watch TV shows, but lately have just listened to music.  I find it a bit easier and the time goes faster.  Just have to keep searching out new (well, mostly old) songs on itunes to keep it fresh.

David - random quesiton.  How tall are you?

5'11", currently ~195 pounds.  I was 230# a few years ago, then down to 175# about 2 years ago (before any training, just on dieting changes), spent most of last season right around 180#.  Rough thanksgiving through Christmas on the eating front, I'd like to get back under 180.  I think 175 is about where I'd like to be, and should be pretty easily doable with a little more discipline around food intake.
    2011-01-04 6:22 PM
    in reply to: #3277891

User image

Expert
    Dixbry - 2011-01-04 3:40 PM +2 for clipless.    It is not a matter of if you will fall, but when.   Best to just get it over with. It quickly becomes second nature to clip in and clip out. 

x3.  You will want to go cliipless eventually, may as well just do it now and get the tipovers out of the way. Sealed
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24