of 6

2011-01-10 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3288402

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Subject: RE: Amazon's Group - OPEN
Nathan,

Welcome to the group! North Carolina representing! Hey, as far as a training plan, it's really up to you and how much time you can devote. The beginner plans on this site are great for beginners just getting into the sport. They are easily modified, although if using the sprint plans, I wouldnt take too much off of the plan. Let me suggest to you the Belews Lake tri in Stokesdale, NC (near Winston-Salem). GREAT for a first time sprint event. Here's the link - http://setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1576

Read back in this blog - my advice to you is the same as it was to maddawgpig/ Melissa from Atlanta, GA.

I'll see you in Stokesdale brotha~

2011-01-10 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3289119

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Kristi -

you are in! Now you have cyber accountability! We are all awaiting details on your story and when you plan on kicking out this sprint.

Welcome to the Jungle.
2011-01-10 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3258408

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Subject: RE: Amazon's Group - CLOSED
Good start to my week - just got a strong swim in while the snow fell outside! Looking forward to a nice long run tomorrow outside in the snow covered woods! We have about 2" here in NC! Party time.

Anybody looking for GREAT recovery drink - Afterglow from GNC. Fantastic - especially for old people like me.
2011-01-10 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3289513

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC

dangremond - post that link to the bike training...

I HATE indoor trainer riding - hate it.

2011-01-10 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Melissa - my wife and I hardly EVER get those "together" workouts any more. She's not a triathlon girl (YET) but does workout regulary. We are on shifts now with the baby - big adjustment for us - we loved going to the gym together, sitting in the sauna, going for dinner and a smoothie, coming home and watching biggest loser...not so much any more.
2011-01-10 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3287325

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
How does a 2 year old do triathlon? Can she swim already? That's what's up.

2011-01-10 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Jorge Cycling Plan

The above is the message thread here at BT on the challenge forum.  It explains the program and has links to his website where the weekly plans can be found.  It's worth checking out if it might work for you.  I am a guy who needs structure in my training otherwise it doesn't happen.  This is a plan that has evolved over a few years and appears intense and focused.
2011-01-10 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3291310

User image

New user

Subject: Sprint Training Plan
I'm offering up the details and rationale for my training plan for the year - both for critique and maybe even someone will find it useful.

Background: repeat from my intro post, but it's applicable.  I have a good beginner's cycling base, but am starting from scratch with swimming, running, and strength building.  I'm 28, no weight to lose, decently athletic, and bike 3-6 hours a week commuting.  Races on 4/23, 6/19, and 7/10.

Off-the-shelf plans:  I found that nothing seemed to work for a beginner who already has an aerobic base established and is focused on sprints only.  Plans were either from-couch programs, assume a more advanced level, or do not scale well to sprint-only. 

Why (beginner) off-the-shelf plans don't work:  They focus on volume.  I bike 9x2 miles (at least) 3-5 days a week, and a 5k is short.  Swimming is...supposedly more form than fitness (that's for another post).

My solution: Picking pieces from multiple plans and mashing them together.  I've read Friel (first tri and bible), Carmichael time-crunched triathlete, this website, and Total Immersion.

- Preparation: I've used the preparation phase from Friel to allow time in Dec-Jan to work on basic swim mechanics, re-introduce my body to running, and get myself into the weight room (using Friel's plan for strength).

- 13 week plan to first race: adaptation of stuff from this site.  Swimming three days a week, using the volume ratios (0.6, 0.8, 1.0) from the 13-week plan.  Bike: just doing a hilly day, a tempo day, and a "long" day.  I ramp up the long day by 10% - the volume isn't hard, but I will focus on maintaining a relatively high/steady tempo.  Any commutes outside those three days will be done at recovery pace (will try at least).  Run: I worked my way to 30 mins at a VERY slow pace in prep (didn't want to risk a silly injury), now I will maintain 30 mins but increase my pace gradually.  This seems to make much more sense to me for sprint only - the distance isn't a challenge, it's the pace.  2 days a week of running...at least for this phase.

- 6 week Time-Crunched plan to races 2&3: I haven't sorted out the details of this one.  The 13-week plan should get me to a good base level of fitness without too much intense work.  Carmichael's plan makes sense here.  I have no need to add more volume, so intensity it is!  I don't like to spend all of my free time training anyway.  Friel and other plans seem to prescribe way too much volume for sprint's - why do I need endurance rides any longer than 1.5 hours or hour long runs???

The 13 week plan is loaded into my Training Log and starts on 1/24.  I worked everything out in Excel, which is much easier for me.  However, I got tired of emailing spreadsheets to various computers - so BT got my business (cheaper than TrainingPeaks and tri-focused).

I probably missed some of the points I wanted to hit, but it's late.

2011-01-10 9:39 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Forum Posting Suggestion
So a single forum post isn't exactly the most organized way of hosting a group's many topics over the course of a year.  I have a simple idea for improving that, however. 

1) Create unique subjects for each new post
2) Use the "threaded" view

This allows one to see a lot of posts on a single page, and if everyone changes the subject it will be much easier to search the "archives" down the road.

Food for thought.
2011-01-11 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3291503

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Forum Posting Suggestion
I have never goven thought to the threaded view but it makes a world of sense to me.  Perhaps we should get a few threads started with set subjects so that we don't have a gazillion different threads - thus making it even more chaotic.  Possible subject headers - Training Questions and Updates, Racing Questions and Updates, Race Results, and Injury Questions?

Anyone else have some thoughts?
2011-01-11 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3291490

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Sprint Training Plan
Trinamuous -

I think your training plan looks pretty good.  I would look at your running at really try to get at least three days of running in.  I would structure those three days like your cycling workouts - speed, tempo and long run.  Overtime I would focus on increasing the number of days running in prep for your 10-k at the end of the season.  What swimming workouts will you be doing - i.e. just swimming the distance or intervals, etc.  My swimming sucks so I am not the go to guy for swimming stuff - but just asking.  Seems like your cycling will take care of itself - I only wish I could commute to work.

2011-01-11 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I just learned to find our group by adding it to my favorites and here you go getting all technical again      Actually it does sound like good idea, someone will just have to post instructions for folks liek me..

Had nice swim last night, just easing back into the pool after a month off and it feltgood.  Met two "new year's resolution" folks in the pool who signed up for first tri in April.  We had good talk and I told them to check out this site. 

Edited by cardenas1 2011-01-11 8:26 AM
2011-01-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3291075

New user

Thanks all!

I am really exited to join the group.  Here's my info:

STORY:  I am a complete newbie to the world of triathlon.  I have been working on getting to a better fitness level for about a a year.  My initial goal was weight loss and getting exercise 3x / week.  I lost 30 pounds, and still want to lose 10 more.  My success at keeping with any fitness program is much improeved when I am working towards a goal, which is what led me into looking at the world of triathlon.  I am really excited, and a little anxious, about doing a sprint triathlon.  Not knowing anyone who does tri's, I am sure to have some very boneheaded questions!!!  I turned 40 years old this year - what better way to celebrate that than by doing a triathlon???

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one step daughter and one son

CURRENT TRAINING:
I attended a fairly intense bootcamp from Sept to Dec, and with a new session beginning this Monday and running to early April.  This runs three days a week, for a total of three hours.  My plan is to use these sessions to continue to improve my cardio ability and overall fitness levels.  During this Jan to early April period I plan to do these 3 bootcamp workouts, and one spin class and one swim session every week. Once the camp in done in early April I will have 10 weeks to my first triathlon!  My plan is to then switch the bootcamp for running and biking training.  Living in Calgary, AB there is a pretty good possibility that I will just be starting to be able to train outdoors which will be nice after this brutal winter.

I will be looking through the various training plans and articles on this site to plan my progress for each sport.  For now my plan is to get out there and do it - I will be fine tuning a plan, setting goals etc. in the next couple of weeks.

Last year I was running on a regular basis but had to quit before I had acheived my goal of running in a 10K.  I have an old skiing injury, a herniated disc, that got really aggravated.  I am a little worried about re-injuring myself so I am working on core and trying to work into the running (I think I went a little too hard, a little too fast last year).

2011 RACES:  My plan is to register for a Try a Tri the third week of May, and a Sprint Tri the third week of June.  There are a few more available around Calgary in July, Aug and Sept, and I am keeping an eye on those as well.

I am really excited to start this journey, and I am looking forward to getting to know the other members of the forum.
2011-01-12 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Training Questions and Updates
Had a great workout this morning.  For those that have checked out the Jorge cycling plan today was my first testing day.  20' warm-up followed by a 20' all out effort with a 5' cooldown.  There is a second shorter test later in the week with the goal being to establish a new baseline for future training intensity. 

The trainer I have my bike hooked up to is a Kurt Kinetic and I am very happy with it.  I finally broke down and got a fan and what a world of difference that it makes...no more puddles of sweat and overheating.

(I created a subject header of "Training Questions and Updates" for those that want to view the messages in a threaded style instead of flat)
2011-01-12 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
trinamuous:

Comments about your plan. It looks like you have a good base. I am by no means an expert at any of this and can only offer my experience in fitness. I would highly recommend fartlecks (also known as speedplays) be incorporated into your bike and run workouts. Distance and effort will be dependant upon your current physical status.

Fartleks will increase your endurance and stamina for sprints wihtout a doubt. If incorporated into training plan for an Oly or even Ironman, they provide tremendous results that are very measureable. They have been proven over and over again. Merely riding or running distances will not increase your speed or endurance. Fartleks on the other hand will do both. 

They are also very good for swiming, which I am working on now. Once you get your form down and are moving all of your body parts correctly (I have problems with that), then working farleks into your routine will increase your ability to move faster.

Hope this little tidbit helps someone in the group. If you have any questions about fartleks check out:  

http://home.sprynet.com/~holtrun/tri.htm and also http://www.livestrong.com/article/341880-triathlon-fartlek-training/

2011-01-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3291490

Dover Foxcroft
Thanks, trinamuous!  This is exactly how I've been feeling about my sprint plan.  I'm going to work on the intensity vs. volume. 

I like the forum posting idea, too.

I've had a good training week so far.  Hope everyone else has too!

2011-01-13 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3295233

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Great job on a strong week of training.   The biggest factor I have seen in my training as it carries over to races in consistency.   This trumps any other aspect of training IMHO.  I am not talking about missing one or two workouts a week when life gets in the way, but the times you look on your logs and see a few days (or weeks) as a blank canvas.   My best races have come when I did nothing more than just stick to the program.  Some days were better than others, but I stayed with it. 

On the other hand, I can point to every race where I was a little disapointed in my times and knew that my training had fallen off weeks prior to race.   This year my goal is to start slow to avoid burnout and stay consistent!    Injuries and other factors play a legit factor in why consistency is so hard to maintain.  There is balance in everything and I hope to learn from my own mistakes this year.  Thanks for letting me ramble... Now back to work.
2011-01-13 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
I too tend to slack off after 16 weeks or so of training so I am waiting this year to start my officail training too.  I have such a hard time getting runs in. I hate running on the treadmill and well, I dislike running in the icy, cold WI winters, especailly since I can't run until my hubby gets home from work so it's dark out.

So - since I haven't run in a week - I am making myself do it tonight - and will be accountable to you folks tomorrow.

-Amy
2011-01-13 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3297764

User image

Master
Completely agree with you on running in the cold in the dark.  I can handle the cold if the sun is up...something very demoralizing about running in the dark in the cold (also safety in not being able to see ice as well).
2011-01-13 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3291925

User image

New user

dangremond & JMMauldwin,

Thanks for the feedback regarding intensity & increasing run frequency.  I definitely agree on both points.  I've heard of the fartleks, but have not yet done much research.  I'll be planning out my 6 weeks intensity-based plan for 4/25-6/12 in the coming months.  When 10K prep comes later in the year, I will likely drop to 1 day of swimming, ease off the bike a good bit, and focus on the run: 3x (maybe 4?) a week & really pushing to improve pace.  The earlier 6 week plan will likely focus on the bike more than run.  Now until the first tri in April is all about the swim (learning to, that is)!

Current swim plan:  I spent Dec through last week just working on developing my stroke.  It's slowly starting to come together, such that I am just starting to be able to get in a moving forward and breathing rhythm.  Starting last weekend, I will also do a non-stop distance portion to each session.  Today for instance: 4x25, 1x425, 4x25.  Each week I will increase the long day by 10%.  Breaking up the stroke practice is helping, and I think will allow me to prove that I can do 750m sooner rather than later (big for confidence).

Edited by trinamuous 2011-01-13 7:51 PM
2011-01-13 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Ok, I did it. Maybe be one of my slowest times in a long time but I pounded out 3.25 tonight.  It wasn't too bad but a couple of hills I had to walk up because I couldn't get enough traction to make it up with the snow.  This weekend I hope to make it out for 4.5

2011-01-14 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Congrats!! Keep pushing!!!
2011-01-14 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3294241

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Training Questions and Updates
Alright, what does everyone have on tap for this weekend (training)?  

Saturday I have a 6 mile run and hour strength workout

Sunday, Ride 90 minutes or 28 miles, and then easy 2-3 mile brick run.  

2011-01-14 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Really looking forward to the weekend! Tonight a quick 5k run, tomorrow a 30m bike (in spin class) followed by a 60m run outside. Sun - 120m bike - supposed to be 45 degrees and sunny so I'm taking it outside! This week all of my swims were piled on top of one another (mon, tues, thurs). Thought it would be difficult, but it actually felt good. Im on week 5 of the 20 week beginner half-iron BT plan.
2011-01-14 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Short weekend workout. Saturday is a 7.5 mile run, 9.5 mile bike, and an hour of strength. Sunday afternoon I'll hit the pool for an hour and depending on the weather I may ride 20 or so.... Saturdays are usually my bigger days but since I have to drive to Raleigh (RDU) to drop off my mother-in-law, I can't do the long routes.. Hope the weather holds out!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amazon's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6