BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-01-08 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3286111

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
alfredo1414 - 2011-01-08 2:52 AM Thank you!! I still don't have a garmin, planning to get one ASAP, do you have a model that you can recomend? Right now I'm in the point that I'm putting everything together that I need, do you have a vital check list? And do you recomend postworkout shakes?

Garmin 305 with the Heart rate monitor. Get it from Best Buy (about $150) or Amazon (you might save 10 bucks). About the shakes, I drink all fruit smoothies with added protein during the summer months after the workouts (like Jamba Juice's), stay away from Smoothie King, it is nothing but syrups and ice cream. You have to watch it though, too many of those will balloon you up. It is way better to get your protein from eggs and lean meats and eat lots of vegetables, mostly the green, yellow and red stuff. Fruits are really good too but no watermelons or pineapples (very high in sugar). All berries are great for you.

About the vital check list:

- Bike
- goggles
- running shoes
- for the love of God, please put shorts on!!

just kidding. It all depends, can you be more specific? i.e: For some people, a disc wheel is a MUST HAVE, for others it is a way to blow your money for 1 second a mile.

2011-01-08 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3285502

Thanks Ernesto!

Here's my deets:

NAME: username: Wirunnergirl/ first name: Jo

STORY:  33, work full time as high school special education teacher.  I've been a runner for 17 years.  I'm a solid "middle of the packer".   Two years ago, training for my second marathon, I was sidelined from running due to stress fractures (shin and hip), and decided to make the change to triathlon.  I've done 3 marathons and about a dozen half-marathons, my triathlon experience is much more limited with only a sprint and a HIM under my belt.   I loved my HIM and had a smile on my face the entire time.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married, two children 9 and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING:  About 6-9 hours a week, keeping it relatively casual at this point.  I'm following Jorge's winter cycling program (lots of time on the trainer), doing some running, and some cross training (snow shoeing).  I'm holding off on the pool as long as I can, but my goal is to start swimming again in the newt week.  I've been logging through Sports Tracks and Buckeye, but I will try to start here.  I plan to start a formal training plan (most likely Friel's) about the middle of February for the IM. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  IM MOO (September 11) and I'm throwing around the idea of Grandma's Marathon (June), and possibly a HIM in July.

2010 RACES:  Journey's Half Marathon, Madison Half Marathon, Chisago Lake HIM, Milwaukee Marathon, Haunted Hustle Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a focus, but not going to complain if it happens.

GOAL: Finish IM WI and enjoy the day... have fun with my training.

Any thoughts on whether it's wise to do a marathon a 3 months before IM? I would like to do it because Grandma's on my bucket list...however, I have no goal other than just to get out and enjoy the scenery.  Wouldn't train specifically for it, but use my aerobic fitness from both my base and the start of my build training.

2011-01-08 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernesto, yes, it is summer here now and pretty much all year comparing to US... I am so fortunate to ba able to enjoy the outdoors all year round. I actually have a bike trainer  I brought from Chicago. There it was a necessity. But how do you do a century on the trainer?
2011-01-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3286296

User image

Master
Dallas
Wirunnergirl - 2011-01-08 8:35 AM Thanks Ernesto!

Here's my deets:

NAME: username: Wirunnergirl/ first name: Jo

STORY:  33, work full time as high school special education teacher.  I've been a runner for 17 years.  I'm a solid "middle of the packer".   Two years ago, training for my second marathon, I was sidelined from running due to stress fractures (shin and hip), and decided to make the change to triathlon.  I've done 3 marathons and about a dozen half-marathons, my triathlon experience is much more limited with only a sprint and a HIM under my belt.   I loved my HIM and had a smile on my face the entire time.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married, two children 9 and 6.

CURRENT TRAINING:  About 6-9 hours a week, keeping it relatively casual at this point.  I'm following Jorge's winter cycling program (lots of time on the trainer), doing some running, and some cross training (snow shoeing).  I'm holding off on the pool as long as I can, but my goal is to start swimming again in the newt week.  I've been logging through Sports Tracks and Buckeye, but I will try to start here.  I plan to start a formal training plan (most likely Friel's) about the middle of February for the IM. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  IM MOO (September 11) and I'm throwing around the idea of Grandma's Marathon (June), and possibly a HIM in July.

2010 RACES:  Journey's Half Marathon, Madison Half Marathon, Chisago Lake HIM, Milwaukee Marathon, Haunted Hustle Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a focus, but not going to complain if it happens.

GOAL: Finish IM WI and enjoy the day... have fun with my training.

Any thoughts on whether it's wise to do a marathon a 3 months before IM? I would like to do it because Grandma's on my bucket list...however, I have no goal other than just to get out and enjoy the scenery.  Wouldn't train specifically for it, but use my aerobic fitness from both my base and the start of my build training.

Jo, I would stay away from the Marathon because it would be very disruptive of your training. Even though you've completed many running races and have a lot of base for it, the wear of a full Mary is inevitable, and the recovery is slow. Even if you go to enjoy the scenery you would have to put at least a couple 16/18 milers towards the race, right?
I don't think that would benefit your other two sports.
Since you mention that you're neglecting the water, why not focus on improving that by swimming two to three times a week? It not only helps you swim better, but the gains translate to the other two sports as well.
Just an idea...
2011-01-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3286734

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-01-08 1:33 PM Ernesto, yes, it is summer here now and pretty much all year comparing to US... I am so fortunate to ba able to enjoy the outdoors all year round. I actually have a bike trainer  I brought from Chicago. There it was a necessity. But how do you do a century on the trainer?

I have no answer for that, my longest ride on the drainer has been 80 minutes. I hate it with a passion. What I'm saying is that maybe you can put an occasional shorter ride on it while it's raining.
2011-01-08 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Today I went out for my regular long bike ride (this time it was 3.5 hours), the weather today was ideal for that here in Dallas. I'm also dieting since Monday and I already lost about 6 pounds, the goal is to lean down to 157 before my first Half in Puerto Rico (exactly ten weeks away). My diet is very low GI and somewhat restricted in calories, and it takes a while for the body to adjust to the "fat for fuel only" state. Even when you reach this point, your workouts ahould all be absolutely aerobic.
Well, I guess I didn't follow my own plan, this morning I loaded water instead of my regular Perpetuem (it delivers carbs slowly but steadily). Anyway, I found myself pretty weak and I bonked right at the end of my ride.
LESSON LEARNED: Fuel your workouts properly, even while on a diet. What I did was stupid, maybe even dangerous. One never stops learning... 

2011-01-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3287152

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel - 2011-01-08 6:01 PM Today I went out for my regular long bike ride (this time it was 3.5 hours), the weather today was ideal for that here in Dallas. I'm also dieting since Monday and I already lost about 6 pounds, the goal is to lean down to 157 before my first Half in Puerto Rico (exactly ten weeks away). My diet is very low GI and somewhat restricted in calories, and it takes a while for the body to adjust to the "fat for fuel only" state. Even when you reach this point, your workouts ahould all be absolutely aerobic.
Well, I guess I didn't follow my own plan, this morning I loaded water instead of my regular Perpetuem (it delivers carbs slowly but steadily). Anyway, I found myself pretty weak and I bonked right at the end of my ride.
LESSON LEARNED: Fuel your workouts properly, even while on a diet. What I did was stupid, maybe even dangerous. One never stops learning... 

Exactly the same thing happed to me. Not today, I learned the lesson. I used to take just water on longer rides (because I heard it was good for you...) and was really weak after 2hrs. Forget it, not anymore. I make my own brew: water, honey, lemon juice and salt. When I'm lazy I just mix some lemon cordial with water and salt. It works fine. Besides, you pay roughly twice as much as in US for just about everything...
2011-01-08 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3286778

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel - 2011-01-08 2:02 PM
markz - 2011-01-08 1:33 PM Ernesto, yes, it is summer here now and pretty much all year comparing to US... I am so fortunate to ba able to enjoy the outdoors all year round. I actually have a bike trainer  I brought from Chicago. There it was a necessity. But how do you do a century on the trainer?

I have no answer for that, my longest ride on the drainer has been 80 minutes. I hate it with a passion. What I'm saying is that maybe you can put an occasional shorter ride on it while it's raining.

Just got back from a 2.5 hr mountain ride in the rain...
This one is 1 hr rolling hills country ride and then 30 min continuous climb, probably about 7% to get to the top, then you roll down home.
What I would like to share here is that on the way there I caught up with a guy who happened to be 69 years old (!!!). We talked all the way up, the scenery was breathtaking, got drenched  the rain and loved every minute of it. The point is: age doesn't matter. This guy was fit enough to ride to Springbrook in the rain and apparently does it regularly!

This was taken few weeks ago. just wanted to share the scenery from Springbrook.
2011-01-08 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

@Markz Man! that place is gorgeous. I'm green with envy.

One other thing I have noticed is that you guys are not talking to each other. Please do! Post things like how your workout was, or funny things that happened while training or whatever you feel like saying. Remember, we do this for fun! No pros here...
Also, to the newbies, please tell us all about your progress, I don't find anything more exciting than reading about your enthusiasm when you conquer your own mountains, and trust me, even what you consider "humble" was challenging to the seasoned people at some point when they started. There is a lot of inspiration from the new people to the sport (and viceversa).

2011-01-08 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3287199

Wow!  It's beautiful.  I'm jealous!
2011-01-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3287172

I've done the homemade sports drink, too.  Much more to my liking and not as sweet as some of the sports drinks.  If I crank on Gatorade for more than an hour it makes me sick to my stomach.  Must be all that artificial coloring. 

2011-01-08 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3286771

Ernesto:  Thanks for your input.   I'll heed your advice on nixing the marathon.

Not a fan of the pool.  Definitely a limiter for me and I'm easily intimidated by all the fast swimmers during lap swim.  I always try to scope out the slowest person in the pool and ask to join their lane.  I usually end up joining one of the older ladies from aqua aerobics.  Wink

2011-01-08 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3286778

My longest  indoor trainer ride was last summer and was four hours.  I can't remember what it was that forced me to do it inside, but it was much more pleasant that I had anticipated.  It definitely helped me build some mental toughness.  A fan, a t.v. remote, and your nutrition nearby are musts.
2011-01-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3287258

User image

Master
Dallas
Wirunnergirl - 2011-01-08 7:17 PM I've done the homemade sports drink, too.  Much more to my liking and not as sweet as some of the sports drinks.  If I crank on Gatorade for more than an hour it makes me sick to my stomach.  Must be all that artificial coloring. 

Gatorade caused me trouble too, but the problem is the high fructose corn syrup (complex sugar/hard to absorb). Fruit juices or slices (the real thing) delivers simple sugars that do not require digestion and are absorbed almost instantaneously. The best two that I know are oranges and grapes but you have to combine them, orange by itself is very acidic and can also cause some distress.
I think Ironman Perform (the new drink by Powerade) has a combination of simple/complex sugars and they swear it's fantastic for digestion, but I learned to make my own opinion and think my own thoughts overtime. Plus, everybody is different. I haven't tried this one yet.
Thanks for the tips to ride long on the "drainer". I guess my biggest problem is missing the outdoors. Somehow, I will have to suck up and do it next week, I have a ride on Monday and Wednesday and the weather here is going to turn bad tomorrow morning and remain like that for the rest of this coming week. Frown  
2011-01-08 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3287277

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Wirunnergirl - 2011-01-08 7:30 PM

My longest  indoor trainer ride was last summer and was four hours.  I can't remember what it was that forced me to do it inside, but it was much more pleasant that I had anticipated.  It definitely helped me build some mental toughness.  A fan, a t.v. remote, and your nutrition nearby are musts.

Wirunnergirl, 4hrs on the drainer? You are legend!!! I think my longest one was 2hrs and felt like plenty. Maybe with the video it would be easier. 
Gatorade... you can use the powder and mix it yourself. It doesn't have HFCS, just plain sugar. It worked for me in US, but here I made a commitment to make my own brew.

Yes, this place is awesome, thank you, I feel lucky to live here. I will post some more pictures form future rides.

2011-01-09 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3286734

I would get the Spinerval "Hardcore 100" DVD. It's a 5-1/2 hr trainer workout that is essentially a century ride!! Have fun!Joan

2011-01-09 12:50 PM

Ernesto - I get a really bad stomach ache after every long run (>5miles). I've tried being plenty hydrated and low fiber foods prior to running, but nothing seems to work. Do you have any ideas &/or suggestions!Thanks,Joan
2011-01-09 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3288093

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-09 12:28 PM I would get the Spinerval "Hardcore 100" DVD. It's a 5-1/2 hr trainer workout that is essentially a century ride!! Have fun!Joan

Thanks Joan. That is really hardcore! I was sort of kidding, I don't see how I could spin on the trainer for 5.5 hrs, have you done it?
2011-01-09 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3288121

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-09 12:50 PM Ernesto - I get a really bad stomach ache after every long run (>5miles). I've tried being plenty hydrated and low fiber foods prior to running, but nothing seems to work. Do you have any ideas &/or suggestions!Thanks,Joan

What low fiber foods are you talking about? And also, what's your nutrition while running? Is it side stitching, cramps or urges to hit the bathroom?
2011-01-09 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
This morning I did my coached Masters swim and had to put an 80 min run indoors Cry but the good news is that I brought a bottle (not water, but actual nutrition) and I felt full of energy, kept the whole thing very aerobic. There's good days and bad ones...
2011-01-09 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3288093

Mark - I have only got 2-1/2 hr long stretch on the DVD, but that would be the only way I could do a century on a trainer inside!Joan

2011-01-09 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3288275

Ernesto - I usually have a protein shake (2-3 hrs) or a Luna bar (1 hr) before my runs. It's the urge to run to the bathroom & stomach ache for 3-4 hrs, if not longer after!Joan
2011-01-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3287348

evillarroel - 2011-01-08 8:21 PM
Wirunnergirl - 2011-01-08 7:17 PM I've done the homemade sports drink, too.  Much more to my liking and not as sweet as some of the sports drinks.  If I crank on Gatorade for more than an hour it makes me sick to my stomach.  Must be all that artificial coloring. 

Gatorade caused me trouble too, but the problem is the high fructose corn syrup (complex sugar/hard to absorb). Fruit juices or slices (the real thing) delivers simple sugars that do not require digestion and are absorbed almost instantaneously. The best two that I know are oranges and grapes but you have to combine them, orange by itself is very acidic and can also cause some distress.
I think Ironman Perform (the new drink by Powerade) has a combination of simple/complex sugars and they swear it's fantastic for digestion, but I learned to make my own opinion and think my own thoughts overtime. Plus, everybody is different. I haven't tried this one yet.
Thanks for the tips to ride long on the "drainer". I guess my biggest problem is missing the outdoors. Somehow, I will have to suck up and do it next week, I have a ride on Monday and Wednesday and the weather here is going to turn bad tomorrow morning and remain like that for the rest of this coming week. Frown  [/QUOTE

One of the marathons I did this year used Ironman Perform out on the course.  I used the Lemon Lime flavor and I did not have any issues on the run.  The taste was okay; relatively light and not syrupy at all.  Again, like you said, everyone is different in terms of preferences and what works/doesn't work.

Good luck on the trainer this week!  Rent a movie you've been wanting to see to kill the time.
2011-01-09 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3287422

markz - 2011-01-08 9:13 PM
Wirunnergirl - 2011-01-08 7:30 PM

Wirunnergirl, 4hrs on the drainer? You are legend!!! I think my longest one was 2hrs and felt like plenty. Maybe with the video it would be easier. 
Gatorade... you can use the powder and mix it yourself. It doesn't have HFCS, just plain sugar. It worked for me in US, but here I made a commitment to make my own brew.

Yes, this place is awesome, thank you, I feel lucky to live here. I will post some more pictures form future rides.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.  Thanks for the tip on the Gatorade powder.  Just wish they could fix the colors so they don't look so radioactive. 

Definitely get a video or something for a long ride on the trainer.  And, let's keep this just between you and I ... I think I actually like the trainer! 
2011-01-09 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3287199

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Australia
Ok Australia just moved up higher on my bucket list!

Jackie
Just Do It
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25