BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-09 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3260273

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group - OPEN
Yvette - one other thought on the swimming which would be a compromise.  Once a week, you might try dividing your long swim into 3 parts, 1st and 3rd, the way you normally would do it, but for the middle swim, try alternating one "sprint" lap with one "recovery" lap, while still swimming continuously.  So, if you do distance, for a 900 yard swim, do 300 normal, then 300 alternating fast/slow, and 300 normal, but all continuously.  You could do the same if you swim by time - 10min/10min/10min.  If you think that might be of interest, you'd want to give it several weeks as I imagine at first it would feel more challenging.

Andrea - way to quiet that voice.  I have an on-going argument with that voice all the time :-)  Mastering it is helpful in all kinds of circumstances that require perseverance.  If you have a secret for doing it, let me know!

Anne - I don't need to say to be careful on those roads after Friday's events.  I'm so looking forward to next week's trip to Ann Arbor based on your description of the weather (not).

Phil - Hope it was a great day!

Rock and Roll, Heidi!

-Stu

2011-01-09 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
GORGEOUS run today- we went around 1pm and we had sun, no wind, but sun and no wind at 24 degrees is TOTALLY doable in Ohio!

My friend is rehabbing a hip and foot injury. She is a phenomenal runner and often first in her age group at tris. I am very slow. I am guessing we were at a 11 min/mile pace and she was pushing me to go faster. It was great because it was a pretty hard run for me but I kept up. And it was so nice to run with someone! We came back here and had roasted chickpeas with a quick homemade tabouleh salad for lunch. DELICIOUS! Made all the more delicious because of our hard run beforehand.

So, Stu- you should actually look forward to the trip if our weather holds. (It probably will not) Roads were very nice and pretty clear so I was happy. We normally do not run if they are snow covered (note I said normally, we have run in the snow before but just trails)- you all are very right, it is dangerous- I twisted my knee last year running on the ice.

Gotta rustle up dinner and then I'm making the kids do 20 minutes of yoga with me before bedtime- the husband is OOT for business.

Hope everyone got a good workout in today!!! Tomorrow it's a date with the bike trainer.
2011-01-09 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well this sounds like a group for me...46 years old...slow as molasses but enthusiastic!  And, food is my frienemy!  I have two broken bones in my left foot that didn't really bother me until last year when I started training for my first sprint.  I use to weigh 60lbs more than I do but lost weight over time and when I watched Sister Madonna do her 20th Ironman, in her 70s I got up to start moving too.  I have not lost a single pound since starting all this training last year, but don't you fret I did go down a whole dress size!  Muscle does weigh more than fat!  Still could stand to lose 20 more pounds.  That last 20 has been a struggle!

Since starting triathlon training Nov. 2009 it was more of a "see if I can do this" thing than a set goal.  Did two sprints last year and working up to an Oly this year.  I have a super supportive husband, of 26 years, who on his days off makes my oatmeal for me in the morning, packs my lunch and budgets for my wanted gear and races.  We have three daughters; all in their twenties.  One constantly reminds me not to be a "mental midget" because I often do not push myself hard enough or to my limits....well it hurts! 

I have a three hour round trip drive to work and back so during these cold, short winter days I spend a lot of hours on the stationary bike and treadmill for my training.  I swim on the weekends and I am following the Olympic 3x training program.  Had a slow start during the holidays but am making improvements weekly.

Hope there is still room to grow with this group.  Good luck to all!
2011-01-09 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3288578

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2011-01-09 6:19 PM Well this sounds like a group for me...46 years old...slow as molasses but enthusiastic!  And, food is my frienemy!  I have two broken bones in my left foot that didn't really bother me until last year when I started training for my first sprint.  I use to weigh 60lbs more than I do but lost weight over time and when I watched Sister Madonna do her 20th Ironman, in her 70s I got up to start moving too.  I have not lost a single pound since starting all this training last year, but don't you fret I did go down a whole dress size!  Muscle does weigh more than fat!  Still could stand to lose 20 more pounds.  That last 20 has been a struggle!

Since starting triathlon training Nov. 2009 it was more of a "see if I can do this" thing than a set goal.  Did two sprints last year and working up to an Oly this year.  I have a super supportive husband, of 26 years, who on his days off makes my oatmeal for me in the morning, packs my lunch and budgets for my wanted gear and races.  We have three daughters; all in their twenties.  One constantly reminds me not to be a "mental midget" because I often do not push myself hard enough or to my limits....well it hurts! 

I have a three hour round trip drive to work and back so during these cold, short winter days I spend a lot of hours on the stationary bike and treadmill for my training.  I swim on the weekends and I am following the Olympic 3x training program.  Had a slow start during the holidays but am making improvements weekly.

Welcome Sportz!
There is absolutely room for you!
I can't imagine a 3 hour commute- I get cranky when my 10 minute ride hits traffic and takes 20 minutes!
It sounds like you have a great family! I love the mental midget comment. Do you use it as a script for yourself when you want to quit? Sister Madonna is a huge inspiration to me. So is Brian Boyle. I love the drive and commitment they both have, as well as their positive attitudes.
-Heidi

Edited by slow turtle 2011-01-09 5:43 PM
2011-01-09 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3287996

User image

Good afternoon!

Thanks Stu for the advice on my swimming.  I am going to try to incorporate your idea of dividing the workout into 3 parts my next swim.  Really, the only thing stopping me from challanging myself is me. 

Kudos to you Andrea!  It is always such a great feeling when you conqur a hurdle.  The next time you are out you will be telling yourself, "I know I can do this, I did it last time!"  It will just get easier and easier.

Wore my 5fingers today running.  After the first mile I could feel a stretch in my arch so I only went another half mile.  They are very comfortable, but found them to be very slick on the pool deck.

2011-01-09 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3288691

User image

Expert
TriVettee - 2011-01-09 7:26 PM

Wore my 5fingers today running.  After the first mile I could feel a stretch in my arch so I only went another half mile.  They are very comfortable, but found them to be very slick on the pool deck.

That's good to know. I never made it t othe store to pick a pair up today. Maybe after work tomorrow, but that's doubtful, since Monday is a busy family day.

2011-01-09 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Hey everyone,  the wedding went great, two down and one to go.  ; )

Tomorrow is the day. The training is going to ramp up with a new energized commitment with a  5 mile run scheduled for the morning and the bike trainer in the evening with my new Spinervals Threshold training video.

I am also going to start doing something that I have always avoided. I am going to start logging my food intake.   

Phil

2011-01-10 2:31 AM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Hi, my name is Ron, and I'd love to join your group if space is still available.  I'm 40 y.o., used to be active in biking & soccer, but have only been semi-active the past 20 years.

NAME: 
Ron

STORY:
   I'm a stay at home dad.  I used to bike & rollerblade, but I've fallen into a rut.  My wife started running last summer, and will be doing a 10k next week.  She's really inspired me to get active again, so we can enjoy a healthy hobby together.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Married with 3 kids, a 5 1/2 y.o boy, and twin 4 y.o.'s, boy/girl.

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
   None

CURRENT TRAINING:
   Joined a local triathlon group Dec. 2010.  I've only done the swimming portion of the Sunday meetings last week and the one before.  They have a spinning class after the swim, and a local run, weather permitting.  Didn't go today (1/09/11).  Wanted to watch the Chiefs game.  Bad choice.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: Possibly the Woodinville tri-tri again.  Busy summer.  This fits.
http://trifind.com/re_33215/CottageLakeTriTriAgainTriathlon.html

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any):  I'd actually like to gain weight.  I'm 5'10, 150#.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP:  I'd like to have a support group that will motivate me daily to stick to the training, despite the weather.  "held accountable" is a term that I think fits me well.

What I bring to the group is my desire to share my experiences throughout my training.  I've got a reeeeaaaally old, barely working bike, so I checked a book out of the library, and managed to get the gears adjusted to a workable state.  On to the brakes.
I'll help where I can, ask when I can't.
2011-01-10 5:29 AM
in reply to: #3289159

User image

Expert
rlh98296 - 2011-01-10 3:31 AM Hi, my name is Ron, and I'd love to join your group if space is still available.  I'm 40 y.o., used to be active in biking & soccer, but have only been semi-active the past 20 years.

NAME: 
Ron

STORY:
   I'm a stay at home dad.  I used to bike & rollerblade, but I've fallen into a rut.  My wife started running last summer, and will be doing a 10k next week.  She's really inspired me to get active again, so we can enjoy a healthy hobby together.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Married with 3 kids, a 5 1/2 y.o boy, and twin 4 y.o.'s, boy/girl.

TRI EXPERIENCE (if any):
   None

CURRENT TRAINING:
   Joined a local triathlon group Dec. 2010.  I've only done the swimming portion of the Sunday meetings last week and the one before.  They have a spinning class after the swim, and a local run, weather permitting.  Didn't go today (1/09/11).  Wanted to watch the Chiefs game.  Bad choice.

PLANNED RACES FOR 2011: Possibly the Woodinville tri-tri again.  Busy summer.  This fits.
http://trifind.com/re_33215/CottageLakeTriTriAgainTriathlon.html

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS (if any):  I'd actually like to gain weight.  I'm 5'10, 150#.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE THE MENTOR GROUP WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU and WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP:  I'd like to have a support group that will motivate me daily to stick to the training, despite the weather.  "held accountable" is a term that I think fits me well.

What I bring to the group is my desire to share my experiences throughout my training.  I've got a reeeeaaaally old, barely working bike, so I checked a book out of the library, and managed to get the gears adjusted to a workable state.  On to the brakes.
I'll help where I can, ask when I can't.

Welcome Ron!
You bet, there's room for you.

So, in the spirit of accountability; what do you have planned for today
-Heidi
PS- I'll respond more completely later-I have to get kids out the door now.
2011-01-10 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3288578

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2011-01-09 6:19 PM Well this sounds like a group for me...46 years old...slow as molasses but enthusiastic!  And, food is my frienemy!  I have two broken bones in my left foot that didn't really bother me until last year when I started training for my first sprint.  I use to weigh 60lbs more than I do but lost weight over time and when I watched Sister Madonna do her 20th Ironman, in her 70s I got up to start moving too.  I have not lost a single pound since starting all this training last year, but don't you fret I did go down a whole dress size!  Muscle does weigh more than fat!  Still could stand to lose 20 more pounds.  That last 20 has been a struggle!

Welcome Sportz!  Great to have another empty nester in the group, I can use the company ;-)  Love "frienemy"... a great word that describes food oh so well for most of us.  I'm working on the last 20 as well, so we'll attack our mental midget together!  (btw, anyone who can sustain a 3 hour commute is not a mental midget in my book... what do you do to make the best use of that time?)

-Stu
2011-01-10 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3289159

User image

Expert
Welcome Ron!  It's great that you are part of a local tri group... that will be a big help to motivate you on an on-going basis.  Nothing like being expected to be somewhere to get you out the door (or to turn off the Chiefs game... DVR next time, perhaps?)  We'll do our part!

This seems like a good time to mention two things:  One, please use the training logs here in BT.  Personally, I love seeing the graphs build as the week goes on and letting it add up my year-to-date totals, but the main reason is so that we can track each other's progress and learn from each other's experiences.  Also, on the same page, farther down on the left, is an area called friends.  When you have the chance, please add the folks from this group to your friends list.  That way, if you have the privacy settings on, we can still view your logs and send inspires and all that good stuff!

2011-01-10 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3288691

User image

Expert
TriVettee - 2011-01-09 7:26 PM

Seems to me I read somewhere recently about needing to build up slowly again when changing your stride (for instance going from heel strike to mid-foot strike) as your muscles and bones need to be re-trained.  I would think this applies to those of you who are changing to 5fingers to some degree.  I'll see if I can dig up some more information on it.  Frankly, even when changing to a new pair of running shoes, it's a good idea to work them in gradually (like starting on the short / recovery runs).

Which brings up a question... when you chose your running shoes, were you fitted at a good running shoe store where they checked to see your pronation style, etc.?  Especially for those of us who are carrying a little extra weight, it's important to have a shoe that supports properly.  If you're finding you're having hip or knee pain on the run and you're not sure about your shoes, I would suggest taking the time to get a proper fit.  The one thing that is most important to our success is avoiding injury (and Heidi can attest to that). 

2011-01-10 9:49 AM

hi My name is Carrie. I am a stay at home mom of 4. When i was younger was very active but allowed other things to get in the way. began to get back in shape in 2009 and tore my tendon in my foot slowed everything way down. started to work out again until this last month (holiday travel) spent at least an hr a day on the elliptical. my resolution for this year is to continue shedding unwanted lbs and would love to run my first tri this spring. Not sure how to begin training for this but have been reading several things on BT. Cant wait to get started with you guys.
Carrie 
2011-01-10 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
1st workout of the day in the books. Scheduled 5 mile run. Completed 3, ( 5 was probably a little optimistic) hit the weights and spent time on the rowing machine. Bike this afternoon.

Got on scale this morning. WHOA! Must be all that wedding cake. I have enogh glycogen stored to get me through an ionman and two marathons. It will make the weeks weight loss look good though. I weighed in at 245.6 Friday I was 237.8 so I'm sure most of that is water......yea, that's the ticket.

Phil
2011-01-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3289688

User image

Expert
Majustic - 2011-01-10 10:49 AM hi My name is Carrie. I am a stay at home mom of 4. When i was younger was very active but allowed other things to get in the way. began to get back in shape in 2009 and tore my tendon in my foot slowed everything way down. started to work out again until this last month (holiday travel) spent at least an hr a day on the elliptical. my resolution for this year is to continue shedding unwanted lbs and would love to run my first tri this spring. Not sure how to begin training for this but have been reading several things on BT. Cant wait to get started with you guys.
Carrie 

Welcome Carrie!
I had a similar foot issue in 2004 (ish)- Torn tendons are tough to come back from.
Are you looking at any of the training programs to follow?
-Heidi
2011-01-10 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3289946

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2011-01-10 12:01 PM 1st workout of the day in the books. Scheduled 5 mile run. Completed 3, ( 5 was probably a little optimistic) hit the weights and spent time on the rowing machine. Bike this afternoon.

Got on scale this morning. WHOA! Must be all that wedding cake. I have enogh glycogen stored to get me through an ionman and two marathons. It will make the weeks weight loss look good though. I weighed in at 245.6 Friday I was 237.8 so I'm sure most of that is water......yea, that's the ticket.

Phil

Welcome back!
I was thinking that 5 miles might have been a bit ambitious for today. Good job getting the workout in.

2011-01-10 11:34 AM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Thanks for taking me in.  Another thanks to Heidi for getting me motivated this morning.  After getting my boys on the bus, I did my first run since last January.  Went 2 miles in 24 minutes, and only stopped once to pump up the slow leak in my daughter's jogging stroller.  I'm changing that tire this afternoon.
I'll start on my training log today.
Thanks again,

Ron
2011-01-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3290066

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Good job; keep up the good work everyone...remember to have fun!

2011-01-10 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3290066

User image

Expert
rlh98296 - 2011-01-10 12:34 PM Thanks for taking me in.  Another thanks to Heidi for getting me motivated this morning.  After getting my boys on the bus, I did my first run since last January.  Went 2 miles in 24 minutes, and only stopped once to pump up the slow leak in my daughter's jogging stroller.  I'm changing that tire this afternoon.
I'll start on my training log today.
Thanks again,

Ron

WhooHoo! That's what we're here for!
Nice job!
2011-01-10 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome Carrie!  Glad you can join us.  Where do things stand at this point with your injury?  What's the word from your doctor on running/doing tris?

Ron - you get extra points for pushing the jogging stroller!  Wish those had been around more when our daughter was younger.  But we'd go out on the bike a bunch :-)

Good call Phil.  I had to pull back a bit today as well.  Still a little tender. 

Hey, I know we're all raring to go full blast, especially after wedding cake (Christmas cookies, etc.), but it's REALLY important not to overdo it right off the bat.  Probably the 3 most important things to do right now are:

1.  Make sure you warm-up and stretch and if something feels wrong during your workout, stop!
2.  Build gradually.  Sure, we can all go do one or two superperson workouts now but we risk injury.  What we really want is to be doing great eight weeks from now.  Aim for the long-term!
3.  Make sure to take some rest/recovery, both within your workout and taking a day off to let your body recover.  Rest is as important as the workout!

Came across this article that I thought I'd pass on that had a full list of 10 :-)

Prevent injuries in the New Year!
2011-01-10 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Thanks Stu for posting the reminder to everyone to take it easy. If you are not following a training plan, I highly recommend it. You should not increase mileage, like for running, more than 10% per week. Triathlon is an endurance sport and you have to build up that endurance slowly. If you don't have a base, work on building that. My first year I could not run a mile; I had to train and work up to starting my first training plan, which was for a sprint. No one wants to end up injured, right? I have been through it all with my husband- he has been doing tris for 10 years; he has had plantar fasciatis, ITBS, and last year he ruptured a disc and that required surgery and a full year off from training. Start slow and build up- your body will thank you later!!!

My focus right now is on maintaining my 3 mile base for my longest distance run each week; then once I start my half marathon training plan I will ramp up distances. I'm rehabbing an injury right now- lateral patellar compression syndrome, or as I like to call it Old Lady Ouchy Knee.

Glad to have the mentor group- it's making me use my training logs again! Fit in a trainer ride and read my book during naptime; we're off now to swim team practice (oldest child) and waterbabies class (me with the youngest child) and then it's either core work tonight or yoga, depends on what the husband has on his training schedule.

Welcome to the new people!!!! Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
-Anne

2011-01-10 4:06 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
I'm all in, so I guess I should ask some questions about things I don't understand.

What is a Bop & MoP?

Is this thread where I post my feelings about my workout, or should I start a blog?
I'm not sure how to communicate with the other members of this group.

That's it for the moment.
Thanks,
Ron
2011-01-10 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3290874

User image

Expert
rlh98296 - 2011-01-10 5:06 PM I'm all in, so I guess I should ask some questions about things I don't understand.

What is a Bop & MoP?

Is this thread where I post my feelings about my workout, or should I start a blog?

Thanks,
Ron

I'm so glad that you're all in! Tri's are an infectious thing.
Great questions-I'm hoping I'm not the only one with feedback on this.
BoP= Back of Pack. Hopefully not  dead last...but I did come very close to that dubious honor in my last race of 2010.
MoP= Middle of Pack.

Feel free to post your feelings about your workouts here- we'd love to hear them. You might also wnat to put them in the comment section of your training log. That way, long after this group fades away, you'll still be able to access what you wrote.

Communication can occur primarily throught this forum. But it's great to leave "inspirations" for each other, and you can always send a private message (PM) to any one.
-Heidi
2011-01-10 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3290874

User image

Expert
rlh98296 - 2011-01-10 5:06 PM I'm all in, so I guess I should ask some questions about things I don't understand.

What is a Bop & MoP?

Thanks,
Ron

An excellent question, Ron, and boy, we (I) have a tendency to use abbreviations too much.  BOP and MOP are back of pack and middle of pack.  When I have the chance, I'll try to put together a list of oft used ones on BT.  OWS = Open Water Swim.  HIM - Half Iron Man... oh, yes, a good list to create to be sure.

There's a build-in blog to the training log where I'll often put comments for my own reference (or anyone else) - take a gander.  However, you should definitely feel free to post here as well... I think our group will be a little more about mutual support than the finer technical points of triathlon, but that's just a guess ;-)

Stu
2011-01-10 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
How did every one do today?

I'm planning a cardio workout this evening.

Question for every one: Do you plan your workouts for the week? Follow a strict training plan, or wing it day by day?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26