BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-04-19 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3455781

Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - OPEN

I agree with Joel there Smile

This may seem like the stupidist question, but ill ask it because I need too. So this year I'm riding a cyclocross bike because well i wanted something that is safe on gravel roads too and I do little trail riding too. And its faster then my oldy goldy cheaper mountain bike. Well the gearing is completely different then that off my old bike. It has a tiagra gearing just like a road bike and I'm confused on how to use it. So I need help. I know the right hand the small gears at the back up and down. And the left does the bigger front gears. Is there anyways i can skip a couple gear up and down somehow without going trough all the gears how does this work? Please just give me a basic explanation on how this all works... I know this makes me sounds like a newby and idiot but seriously i've been riding this bike 3 months now. In the big gear in front and going up and down in the smaller gears on the trainer for now to play with the intensity. Please help.  

2011-04-19 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Veteran
Alaska

We're having some beautiful spring weather that is not supposed to hold through the weekend - I hope it holds through my planned bike ride tomorrow!

How is everyone else doing?

2011-04-20 4:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Sorry Nick... can't really help you there.  I am a bit a newbie to anything other than riding a bike from A to B.

Weather wise... well, Taiwan doesn't seem to know what Spring and Fall either... it's either stinking hot (Today was about 30 degrees C) or really cold.  We only really get about 2 weeks of decent spring or fall type weather.  Today was so nice, not a cloud in the sky, so I just had to squeeze a quick run in during a free period in the afternoon (not supposed to do that!!!)

I had 25 minutes, and managed 4775 meters, so not too bad overall.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to run tomorrow during my lunch break and maybe get another 30 minutes or so in.

On a big plus note, I just got my bike rack to go with my new car today!  That opens up some options for different kinds bike rides... looking forward to that.

2011-04-20 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody.

Sorry that I have not been so active the last days. But now Easter is here and I will get a chance to relax.

I just had the first bike race of the year. It was a sprint TT (time trail) 7,2km on the down hill part of our HIM route. We dont have a lot of places to do competitions so this place is use a lot. It is a newly paved road going through a lava field to a hot spring area, but is it only paved part of the way so not so many cars go that way.
Yesterday started like a lot others with snow and hail but the decision was made to go ahead with the race manly because it had not been freezing the last days sure it was sure that there would be no ice on the road. The hardest part of the race was actually getting to the start as there was a huge headwind going up and to make it even worse it was raining So once we got to the top everybody just tried to get out the rain. It was pointless to warm up as you would just get even more cold.
We finally got started, I was biking with a disk and a big aero front wheel. The disk was not a problem, but the front wheel was very hard to hold. I consider my self a good strong bike rider, my I was so scared that I went out of the aero position to get a better hold of the bike, and I was quite scared that I would fall. Now why was I scared ! Because of the HUGE tailwind. After halfway the road turned a bit and I could go into aero for the last bit. Now here comes the scary part,
my average speed was over 62 km/h or just under 40 miles/h in the rain I ended up in 5th which I was quite happy with. And I could not have gone any faster since my highest gear was not high enough, I was just spinning like a crazy. I actually hope the weather will not be like this again for it not something I need to try again.

Oh and to make it worse ! It was only +2C at the start
Why can never have Taiwan weather around ?????

Edited by Mesteren 2011-04-20 9:19 AM
2011-04-20 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3455832

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
nickih - 2011-04-20 3:05 AM

I agree with Joel there Smile

This may seem like the stupidist question, but ill ask it because I need too. So this year I'm riding a cyclocross bike because well i wanted something that is safe on gravel roads too and I do little trail riding too. And its faster then my oldy goldy cheaper mountain bike. Well the gearing is completely different then that off my old bike. It has a tiagra gearing just like a road bike and I'm confused on how to use it. So I need help. I know the right hand the small gears at the back up and down. And the left does the bigger front gears. Is there anyways i can skip a couple gear up and down somehow without going trough all the gears how does this work? Please just give me a basic explanation on how this all works... I know this makes me sounds like a newby and idiot but seriously i've been riding this bike 3 months now. In the big gear in front and going up and down in the smaller gears on the trainer for now to play with the intensity. Please help. 

First there are no stupid questions, if you dont know you ask

I have actually never used a system where you switch gears with the  break handle. But it should be possible to drop down or go up more then 1 gear at a time.
I am guessing you just move the handle until it clicks once, but try to keep pushing it over as far as it goes then it should jump 1 or 2 cogs more up/down.

2011-04-20 10:00 PM

So, Mesteren suggested some interval type training for me which is great. Let me tell you how I feel in four stages. So he suggested 3x 10 min riding hard and 3-4 min recovery. Plus warm up and cool down. Please dont take this personally mesteren its a great workout.

stage one riding in the first interval...oh this allright its hard but i can do this

stage 2 riding second interval....I'm sweating buckets by its running down my face...Mesteren is a mean evil man .....I'm gonna bleep this little SOB

stage 3 riding third interval...still sweating buckets I'm thinking I'm gonna kick Mesteren , in fact I'm gonna get off this bike walk to iceland and ill really kick his , wait a minute if i have energy to do that i might as well finish this bike ride.

Stage 4 riding during cool down....hey I did this and I feel good, maybe i should try this work out more often thanks for the help man

Probably not the greatest day to try it for the first time since I rode my bike for an hour yesterday as well but since were in the middle of a continuing snowstorm well its better then doing nothing and well get that run in tomorrow

2011-04-21 12:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Haha... good work Nick.  I need to do that I think.  The only thing I do on my bike is ride.  Sometimes for 40 minutes, sometimes for 2 hours, but almost always at about the same speed....  I suppose that I should start doing more interval work.
2011-04-21 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3457858

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
nickih - 2011-04-21 3:00 AM

So, Mesteren suggested some interval type training for me which is great. Let me tell you how I feel in four stages. So he suggested 3x 10 min riding hard and 3-4 min recovery. Plus warm up and cool down. Please dont take this personally mesteren its a great workout.

stage one riding in the first interval...oh this allright its hard but i can do this

stage 2 riding second interval....I'm sweating buckets by its running down my face...Mesteren is a mean evil man .....I'm gonna bleep this little SOB

stage 3 riding third interval...still sweating buckets I'm thinking I'm gonna kick Mesteren , in fact I'm gonna get off this bike walk to iceland and ill really kick his , wait a minute if i have energy to do that i might as well finish this bike ride.

Stage 4 riding during cool down....hey I did this and I feel good, maybe i should try this work out more often thanks for the help man

Probably not the greatest day to try it for the first time since I rode my bike for an hour yesterday as well but since were in the middle of a continuing snowstorm well its better then doing nothing and well get that run in tomorrow

LOL

I am glad you survived
So dose this mean that you spend the whole winter on the trainer doing easy rides ?
It is very good to push it on the bike sometimes else you will get a shock once the first competition comes along.

It is very normal to sweat a lot on the trainer a lot, a lot. For a workout over 1h I will typical lose
4-5 lbs !!!!! Now that is a lot of sweat. So it is a good idea to have a couple of towels around and a bottle or 2 of water.

You know what I think I am really going to enjoy this mentor program. I can come up with crazy hard workout and try them out on you before I try it myself

This 3x10 min is a very simple bike workout, it could also be 6x5 or 4x7 min.  That dose not really matter, what matters is that you try to push it on the bike. A hard but doable pace, it is also good to do it outside, just to try and go hard on the bike before a competition, so you know this is a hard pace I dont like it but I can DO IT !
T.I.T.S (Time in the saddle) are good, but if you want to do sprint race you dont need to be able to sit on your bike for 2-3h, you need to be able to go fast.

Then again if all you want to do is finish and really enjoy it ! Then you should not push it to hard on the bike, and you dont need to do intervals, but it will still be a good idea to try

If you plan on doing longer races HIM/IM what you really need is T.I.T.S. Being able to sit on the bike for 3-8h is a lot more important then being to go fast.

Ok that was enough blabber, I hope you got my point else just ask, and will try to explain more clearly.

Today was the first day of summer here in Iceland !!! And that is a national holiday
There was nothing summer about the weather today but that dose not matter as from today it is official summer .............and snow is expected over the weekend

I hope you will all have a great Easter (if you celebrate that)
Duncan has to work....but he (almost) lives in paradise so he is not allowed to complain

2011-04-21 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

I suppose compared to Iceland, I do live in a pretty nice place weather wise, but believe me when I say, probably 2 days outta 5, I would trade!

Traffic is insane

Air Pollution is terrible ( I actually have to wear a mask if riding anywhere near traffic during busy hours)

Working hours are a little insane too!  Most teachers at my school arrive at 7:20 and leave at about 8 pm... same with the students, grade 9 teachers and students stay until about 9:30pm.  I get off at 5, so not as bad, but 4 evenings a week I have private lessons after school, and so still don't arrive home 'til around 8:30.

Food is delicious, but not always the best for training... it sometimes leaves the body a little quickly, if you know what I mean. :P

However, even after all that, I love being here!

2011-04-21 9:42 PM

I usually do sweat buckets when riding on the trainer but this felt completely different probably because this is new. I have been warming up and then gearing up by one gear every ten minutes 4x without breaks or something similar to that but keeping a more steady pace.

Any suggestions too for a terrible runner. I never seem to be able to keep running i can run now for like 3 min striaght and then walk or a minute or two cause i need to catch my breath and then get back to running. Is it another evil plan lol. Some people just seem to be able to run forever how?

Oh and today i payed for my first race this year, my first real sprint tri, so no backing out anymore, they have my money. 

2011-04-22 4:22 AM
in reply to: #3459996

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Nick

If you can only run 3 minutes without stopping for a walk break have you considered that you might be running too hard?  The number one thing for run fitness that I have heard repeated over and over again on BT is run SLOW and run lots.

To get started you might even be running slower than a fast walk, but you should be able to maintain that for a longer period.  Once you get up to doing a couple hours a week, then you can look at running a little faster, and tempo runs and all that other stuff.

*Disclaimer* - I am still in the first part of this, the slow build up.  I currently do nothing but short slow runs, medium slow runs, and long slow runs.  I've been thinking it might be time to work in some other types of runs, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also, while doing this, I have gone from 6:30 / km for 3km to now doing about 5 ~ 5:30 / km for up to around 7 and  5:45 a km for 7 ~ 10 km runs.  Seems to be working for me.

Congrats on signing up for your first sprint!

2011-04-23 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3459996

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
nickih - 2011-04-22 2:42 AM

Any suggestions too for a terrible runner. I never seem to be able to keep running i can run now for like 3 min streight and then walk or a minute or two cause i need to catch my breath and then get back to running. Is it another evil plan lol. Some people just seem to be able to run forever how?

Oh and today i payed for my first race this year, my first real sprint tri, so no backing out anymore, they have my money. 

I agree with Duncan you might be running to fast.
Run/walk intervals are a good way to get started. Try running 3 min walk 1, then as you get more comfortable increase to 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 min.
A good way to keep the pace under control is to have a steady breathing pattern. Try breathing in over 3 steps and out 2 steps. So breathing in 1-2-3 out 4-5 in 6-7-8 out 9.... If you need to breath more/faster you are running to fast and should slow it down.
I always count steps when I am running, just to have something to do, and always run in a 3-2 pattern.

Mentally you should find it a lot easier to run when you know that you have a break coming up
You will be more relaxed as you will take a break because that is the program, not because you have to.
And a lot of people run marathons with walking breaks also fast once, as the break means you can maintain your pace for a longer time.

Eventual look at http://www.jeffgalloway.com/  he is the run-walk training guru.

And now there is no backing out, Nicki the Triathlete will a reality soon

2011-04-23 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Easter morning Brick.

Rode my bike to school for the new student recruitment.  Since I got outta the house a little early, I threw in a run once I got here.

Bike 9.5 km in about 19 minutes

Transition - up elevator, changed shoes, forgot to grab water, and out onto the track to run

Run - 30 minutes, finished 5.35 kms.

Sitting in my office, trying to stop sweating so I can change into my suit.

-- Duncan

P.S. Slightly 'cool' this morning.  When I left the house at 7am it was only about 20 degrees C, by the time I was done running though it was up to a nice 25 degrees, and will probably be about 30 degrees by lunch!!! *winks at Mesteren*

2011-04-23 9:21 PM

User image

Dayton OH

I haven't even begun brick workouts yet. they seem tough. Especially at that kind of temperatures. It got to 68 degrees here in ohio and i was sweating like crazy! 6.9 mile run. 1hr 19min. trying not to push to hard for my RACE next saturday. This will be my second race. The first was a 5k on march 26th.

Im a bit nervous. I did set a couple of goals. I do not know very well what to expect. What kinds of training, eating, sleeping or anything should i do race week?

also, I started getting fit and running this winter. I have yet to run in temps above 70 degrees. Any warmer weather tips? What to wear? eat? drink?

did i already say i was nervous?

2011-04-24 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Water becomes important at warmer temps Joel.  I can still do about 30 minutes in up to around 30 degrees and be OK.  Any longer than that, and I need something to drink.

My wife gave me a fuel belt for my birthday which I have tried out once.  Looking forward to having that when summer hits, and I'm running in almost 40 degrees.

Another suggestion, if running (or biking) in hot weather wear a hat or head covering of some kind, and keep it wet.  Really helps you stay cool.

Edited by DuncanQH 2011-04-24 12:07 AM
2011-04-24 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3462909

Happy Easter everyone. Hope everyone is having a great easter and happy training.

2011-04-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3462814

Austin, TX
joel.blair - 2011-04-23 9:21 PM

I haven't even begun brick workouts yet. they seem tough. Especially at that kind of temperatures. It got to 68 degrees here in ohio and i was sweating like crazy! 6.9 mile run. 1hr 19min. trying not to push to hard for my RACE next saturday. This will be my second race. The first was a 5k on march 26th.

Im a bit nervous. I did set a couple of goals. I do not know very well what to expect. What kinds of training, eating, sleeping or anything should i do race week?

also, I started getting fit and running this winter. I have yet to run in temps above 70 degrees. Any warmer weather tips? What to wear? eat? drink?

did i already say i was nervous?

Joel, 

Living in Austin, running in heat is unavoidable. With that, you learn to adapt your workout. As Duncan said, hydrating is very important! I'm sure your race will also have at least one or two water stations, so make sure you grab a dixie cup from a volunteer filled with H20. As for eating in the heat, I personally dont change anything from what i would eat in the winter. I can't fill up a whole lot before doing a race, but when I do, i'll have a piece of toast with peanut butter or a small bowl of "good for you" cereal to have some carbs/fuel running in the system. I also will have a small cup of coffee to wake me up. 

What you wear is also very important. I can really speak well for ladies apparel, but i don't think they should be that different than what a man should wear. If you don't have them already, get legitimate running shorts with a liner inside. Yes, it looks like a pair of tighty whities sewn in shorts, but they are necessary. The shorts worn for soccer, football, baseball etc won't cut it. The shorts should fit loose to allow freedom of motion for your legs, but not too loose where they fall off your behind. Also, wearing a tech tee or tank made of sweat wicking/breathable fabric will help immensely. Most importantly, no cotton! Wearing a running hat with vents and made of sweat wicking material will also help if there is going to be a lot of sun.

Running clothes also dont have to break your budget. Target's Champion Line is pretty solid and affordable! I tend to have a lot of Nike, as it seems to fit me well. All the major brands have running apparel (Adidas, Puma, Brooks, North Face, Aasics etc.). Whatever you wear should also be comfortable (but slightly fitted), and it should be you. Don't think you do have to be "branded" from head to toe or coordinate. I run mismatched half the time, but i'm not running to put on a fashion show. 

I'm no expert and no Carl Lewis, but i've been running fairly steadily for the last 3 years and done my share of 5ks and 10ks. I have a 5k this weekend myself, and need to get back into foot race mode. Good luck and have fun most of all!

2011-04-25 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

If you still have space, I'd like to join your group.  I just finished a mentor group on this site, and since it's been finished I've had a hard time staying motivated.  I think I need an active support group (although I'm still getting wonderful inspires from my previous mentor Junthank!).

I started training for a sprint Tri in January and have never done a race. Time is huge issue as well.  I'll add more details tomorrow!

Thanks,

Christi

2011-04-26 3:32 AM
in reply to: #3465890

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
cvochristi - 2011-04-26 4:08 AM

If you still have space, I'd like to join your group.  I just finished a mentor group on this site, and since it's been finished I've had a hard time staying motivated.  I think I need an active support group (although I'm still getting wonderful inspires from my previous mentor Junthank!).

I started training for a sprint Tri in January and have never done a race. Time is huge issue as well.  I'll add more details tomorrow!

Thanks,

Christi

Hi Christi

Welcome to the group
I hope we will be able to help you get motivated

Please put me on your friends list so I can see your blog. This will help me if you have any questions, and I will be able to, try and, "inspire" you
2011-04-26 3:40 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody

Sorry that I am a bit behind with the inspires but the In-laws where visiting over Easter so I had did not have that much computer time as normal.

I hope you all had a good Easter and did some good training. I have to admit that I did not get nearly as much training as would have wanted to, but the weather has been really bad here. It either rains, hails or snows and combined with very strong winds, almost storm, it is just so un-motivating. Hopefully I will be able to get something done this week

Niezels : How did your 5k go ?

2011-04-26 6:32 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Joel,

So far my experience on brick work outs is that it is not all that hard. Admitted the first time I tried the transition from bike to run it felt undoable...

But for the most brick is just a complete new experience. And by experience you will do better and better quite fast. This is also a very good tip to practice before your first race. Not only because of understanding the transition. But to my experience even more to understand what pace you need to keep on swimming and biking to be able to keep going and a solid speed on the next discipline.

On the race this saturday. Being nervous is a good sign. It means you are ready (believe it or not). So I'm sure you will do fine.

2011-04-26 6:40 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

OK I need to get my kicked badly. Over the last couple of weeks I have been slacking on my workouts. Especially I'm skipping on the swim workout. I seem to understand why I'm slacking. For months I was not sure if I could be ready in time to do my first tri. In my planning I really considered to plan my first tri in August rather than May. Just for this reason. This is what motivated me to train really hard. Maybe even a bit to hard (in regard to mental exhaustion).

And at the moment I am really conifident I am capable of completing my goal in 3 weeks: Finish a 1/8 tri within 1h30m with a smile on my face.

So I don't have the trigger of "If I do not train my off I won't make it". Funny enough the swim is my weakest discipline. This also hurts me on my motivation. 1 hour training does tire me quite a bit. And I just don't seem to get a good grasp on the swim techniques.

So let the kicking begin.

2011-04-26 6:50 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

My 5K went superb!!

At the start my goal and numbers: Beat my PB of 27m38s by going sub 27m. However at a temperature of 25C (77F) and sunny I wasn't all that confident of achieving sub 27m. It at least got me nerveus. I had ran too much lately due to some pain in my knee that needed nursing.

But the adrenaline of running with 1000 other runners through the heart of Utrecht with a lot of spectators cheering you on does a lot with ones spirit.

Result: New PB with 26m22s, Official registered Netto time. And for the record even my bruto time was better than my old PB at 27m30s

Biggets win on my time was by keeping a flat pace. During my old record my best K was 5m05 and my worst 5m55. Yesterday I was able to close that gap to 5m04s and 5m27s.

Not sure when I will be beating this record again. As I have decided to go for 10K races now. Cause the downside of a 5K is that it only lasts 27 minutes. And I want more of it!!! ;o)

2011-04-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3466019

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Niezels - 2011-04-26 6:50 AM

My 5K went superb!!

At the start my goal and numbers: Beat my PB of 27m38s by going sub 27m. However at a temperature of 25C (77F) and sunny I wasn't all that confident of achieving sub 27m. It at least got me nerveus. I had ran too much lately due to some pain in my knee that needed nursing.

But the adrenaline of running with 1000 other runners through the heart of Utrecht with a lot of spectators cheering you on does a lot with ones spirit.

Result: New PB with 26m22s, Official registered Netto time. And for the record even my bruto time was better than my old PB at 27m30s

Biggets win on my time was by keeping a flat pace. During my old record my best K was 5m05 and my worst 5m55. Yesterday I was able to close that gap to 5m04s and 5m27s.

Not sure when I will be beating this record again. As I have decided to go for 10K races now. Cause the downside of a 5K is that it only lasts 27 minutes. And I want more of it!!! ;o)

AWESOME JOB NIEZELS!!!!  Congratulations on the PB. 

Now go get in the pool and swim some laps! Wink

2011-04-26 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3466323

AWESOME JOB NIEZELS CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PERSONAL BEST!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14