BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-04-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3281614

Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-OPEN

Eli-

I'm just confirming there is still space for a more in your group.  

Best,

Tanya

2011-04-15 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3448475

User image

Master
mywaterfront - 2011-04-15 10:15 AM

Eli-

I'm just confirming there is still space for a more in your group.  

Best,

Tanya

Still space, join us!

2011-04-15 12:12 PM

User image

Master

Nice on the suit purchase. I have been toying with the idea, but wasn't yet sure.

I usually wear a tri top on the swim, as I can't manage to put on a shirt when I am wet out of the water.

Congrats on the sign up. You will enjoy the race, long or short swim.

Charlie, I know what you mean about the HIM swim. For whatever reason, the swim can get tedious for me to. I always want to be biking.

2011-04-15 5:00 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

This is the first week in about 4 months that I did two swims in the same week. Felt great, even though the hassle of getting to the pool always gets to me a little.

I am planning a brick tomorrow and then a 50 mile easy ride with my wife on Sunday.

Anyone have any good plans?

2011-04-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3449401

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
eliwashere - 2011-04-15 6:00 PM

Hey All,

This is the first week in about 4 months that I did two swims in the same week. Felt great, even though the hassle of getting to the pool always gets to me a little.

I am planning a brick tomorrow and then a 50 mile easy ride with my wife on Sunday.

Anyone have any good plans?

Anything with 50 Miles in front of it should not be considered easy!!  I don't even like to drive that far.

Edited by chmoore2 2011-04-15 5:13 PM
2011-04-15 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3448779

OK. I'm in...here's the low down...

NAME: Tanya

STORY:  There was a time when I worked out...did things outside like sailing, and running and waterskiing...those times were soooo long ago...pre-child, pre self-employed business owner, pre-real estate bust...ah, so many befores...

I've wanted to be a triathlete for a long time...it's been on my list of "someday's".  I've decided that some day is this year.

I've always been sort of naturally "fit"...perhaps I should change that to "residually" fit from when I used to really lift and go to the gym regularly in graduate school (and before that years of soccer and swimming from my youth). 

I've never been a real runner, but I did do the Marine Corp Marathon in 2008(?).  More recently 2009(?) a friend put me on her road bike...(I had never been on a road bike...the last bike I owned had only 3 speeds!) and we rode the Seagull Century.  I think I only fell over once due to the clip on shoes and my a** was a little sore, but I got over it.  I haven't been on a bike since.  But apparently, I've got enough sheer chutzpah to do this sort of thing.

FAMILY STATUS:   Boyfriend of 5 years and one 18 month old

CURRENT TRAINING:  Absolutely nothing.  I guess I'm going to look at the options on this site for a training schedule.  Any advice here would be appreciated for a newbie.  Perhaps I'll go for a run tomorrow...

THIS YEAR'S RACES:   TBD.  I'm thinking some realistic goals might be a sprint in late July, sprint in August and Olympic in September.

2010 RACES:  Ha-ha!

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm sure it will happen once I get moving, it's not a specific goal.  I'm one of those lucky women that even with relatively recently having a child I'm at a reasonable height/weight.  Just don't take my BMI or pinch my belly.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
  Probably nothing.  Naw, that's not true. I like to be supportive and cheer others on.  I'm good at picking the good out of the wreckage when everything seems bad.  I listen well.  I make a good cheesecake.

I'm excited!!!

Tanya

2011-04-15 9:30 PM

User image

Master

Tanya,

Welcome aboard! I am just three years past the "I always wanted to do a triathlon" phase, and I seem to be hooked.

I have to admit, I really like the training. Especially the bike, as that is always the easiest for me to do with others.

As far as getting started....make it simple. Start by getting in at least 3 workouts of at least 30 minutes per week. Get the habit of being regular and then you can add other workouts and worry about when you need to swim, bike or run.

Once you get 3 workouts a week in total, then you can start adding in more, or doing bricks, or getting fancy.

just get started on your fitness and build your base.

We will help you with the details as you go along.

2011-04-15 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I'm planning a 9 mile run on Saturday which will be the 3rd week in a row of breaking my previous distance records. On Sunday I have my last swim class, and a 30 minute ride planned. Ihope the weather cooperates. Sorry about the spacing, for some reason when posting from an iPad it gets jumbled.
2011-04-15 11:01 PM

User image

Carmel

Name: Pgrun -  Paul

Story: Second tri year - but first on my own. Last year competed with my oldest son Vincent, when he was a Sr in HS. Watched him the prior year have so much fun I had to try. This year, he's off to college, and I have the "bug" and will go out on my own. Have been a runner - but was injured 3 years ago - and have cross trained since. Ride with a local group 2x week when able. Took swimming lessons last year - and try to get to the pool 1 or 2 x week. Currently run 3+ x per week.

Family: married 22 years - three boys, two in HS and one in college. Dog, Astro.

Currently training: Loosely following a training plan - try to swim 2x/bike 2x (weather permitting) and do 1 easy, 1 "speed' and 1 LSD each week.

2010 races: Carmel Sprint Tri, Indianapolis Mini Marathon, Morse Park Tri, Eagle CreekTri, Tri Indy, Hilly Hundred (bike), Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (finally broke 4 hrs), few others.

2011 races: ran the Sam Costa mini in 1:44, attempting the Carmel Sprint Tri 4/ 17, Indianapolis Mini in May, Carmel Mini in June, Morse Park Sprint Tri in June, Eagle Creek Sprint in July - and I'd like to try an Olympic distance for the Tri Indy. will ride the Hilly 100, and may run the Monumental Marathon again in 2011.

weight loss: yes - I need to! I was doing well - lost 6 pounds over winter..and now...no good. Goal is 172-175. realize best to be flexible. I hover 178-180 now - and cannot seem to loose those last 5......

what will make me a good mentoree? I can add a bit of tribal knowledge running - but need all the wisdom this group can add to the swim - and even the bike.THANKS!

2011-04-16 1:51 PM

User image

Master

Paul,

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you had a great season last year!

Looking forward to hearing more about running, as I can use all the help I can get. 

2011-04-16 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3450222

User image

Carmel
tomorrow is local sprint tri - swim 400m in a pool - then ride 10m and run 3m ==swim in pool - ok - but the bike with temps in 40's will be BRUTAL! - I can run ok in cold - but the bike concerns me a lot ---will be a v e r y long transition - I'll dry off 100% - have sporthill top and likely a jacket but the pants are a concern - would anyone wear pants over their tri shorts??? no place to change pants unless I go way out of the way to a porta potty....not a good idea. I'm going - get to compete with oldest son - problem - he won't feel the cold - but I will!

2011-04-16 7:00 PM

User image

NH

Are you still open?  I'll double time if that's kosher (I joined another group already - I didn't know you'd be doing it again ELI!!!!)

2011-04-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3450527

User image

Master
wbayek - 2011-04-16 7:00 PM

Are you still open?  I'll double time if that's kosher (I joined another group already - I didn't know you'd be doing it again ELI!!!!)

Warren,

Glad to have you. No one will be offended if you double dip on the forums.

I tried to sign up for the last one too, but I was too late and they held me back a grade.

Edited by eliwashere 2011-04-16 9:09 PM
2011-04-16 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3450527

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
wbayek - 2011-04-16 8:00 PM

Hey Warren!!

I was actually going to PM you and let you know the Eli was holding a group as well this time.  Glad to see you found it!  I am double dipping as well for the same reason.

2011-04-16 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3450470

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

pgrun - 2011-04-16 7:19 PM tomorrow is local sprint tri - swim 400m in a pool - then ride 10m and run 3m ==swim in pool - ok - but the bike with temps in 40's will be BRUTAL! - I can run ok in cold - but the bike concerns me a lot ---will be a v e r y long transition - I'll dry off 100% - have sporthill top and likely a jacket but the pants are a concern - would anyone wear pants over their tri shorts??? no place to change pants unless I go way out of the way to a porta potty....not a good idea. I'm going - get to compete with oldest son - problem - he won't feel the cold - but I will!

Good Luck Tomorrow.  Not sure about the pants but I don't see why not.  Stay warm any way you can.

2011-04-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3450470

User image

NH

pgrun - 2011-04-16 7:19 PM tomorrow is local sprint tri - swim 400m in a pool - then ride 10m and run 3m ==swim in pool - ok - but the bike with temps in 40's will be BRUTAL! - I can run ok in cold - but the bike concerns me a lot ---will be a v e r y long transition - I'll dry off 100% - have sporthill top and likely a jacket but the pants are a concern - would anyone wear pants over their tri shorts??? no place to change pants unless I go way out of the way to a porta potty....not a good idea. I'm going - get to compete with oldest son - problem - he won't feel the cold - but I will!

Hope this went well.  I agree with cold biking.  Last year I used the arm band and knee wraps on some of my morning rides when it was in the 40s to start - they come off and fit in your shirt pockets once it warms up.

Edited by wbayek 2011-04-17 12:04 PM

2011-04-17 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I bought a pair of leg warmers as well, but they are incredibly uncomfortable.  The squeeze the heck out of my thighs, probably should look for a bigger size but these were large already and I generally run Medium or large for cycling shorts.
2011-04-17 2:21 PM

New user

Hi Eli -

Room for one more?  I'm up in Cary, North Carolina, part of the Raleigh-Durham area, and this is my first tri season and second season of any type of endurance sport.

Let me know either way - thanks!

Michele

2011-04-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3451205

User image

Master
michele421 - 2011-04-17 2:21 PM

Hi Eli -

Room for one more?  I'm up in Cary, North Carolina, part of the Raleigh-Durham area, and this is my first tri season and second season of any type of endurance sport.

Let me know either way - thanks!

Michele

Michele,

Glad to have you join us!

I am very fond of the Cary area. I spent a few weekends there about 20 years ago. From what I remember, there are a lot of great roads with rollers and hills for training.

2011-04-17 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3451241

New user

NAME: Michele

STORY: I grew up loving team sports plus golf, but didn't do much past high school except study, work and maybe play in a rec league on occasion. Hit that milestone birthday year of 40 the same time I moved to a new city from the Midwest, and found a Team in Training flyer in my new house. I thought that would be a good way to meet people and I had always been envious of runners.  I ran track in junior high and HATED it - 800 meters was forever! Turned out my body doesn't really warm up until mile 4 or so. Ran three fulls and four halfs last year and my TNT buddy convinced me that I would love triathlons.  Three months in, I think she's right.  I'm also a pace group leader at 10:00 miles for Raleigh Galloway, which kicks off next weekend. I'm a big believer that the run-walk intervals has saved me from injury and I've also been able to improve my PR considerably.

FAMILY STATUS:  Single.  Sigh.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train 5-6 days a week, starting to incorporate two-a-days. I travel domestically for my job two weeks a month, so when I don't have to travel, I try to get at least 9-10 workouts in. I use a BT plan with 3 workouts in each discipline

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Triathlons:  White Lake Sprint on May 8, Greenville, SC Festival of Flowers Olympic on June 12, Nations Triathlon Olympic in DC on September 11

Running:  Race for the Dream half on May 22 and Marine Corps Marathon on October 30

I plan to add something in July, August and November.  This year is about building a base and we'll look at a HIM next year.

2010 RACES:  all half or full marathons - Rock and Roll San Diego full, Virginia Beach half and Las Vegas full.  Myrtle Beach mini (half) and did the Goofy 2011 and Disney Princess Half in Feb 2011. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I think I'm 10 pounds heavier than I should be for my optimal running, but I'm not stressing over it yet.  I have not lost a single pound since I started my serious triathlon training in early February, but my body has definitely changed shape for the better.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I feel like a sponge, and in some cases, that's not a good thing.  I've read and read and watched videos on websites and talked with lots of coaches and friends.  Now I have to sift through what I've learned and find what works for me. 

I look forward to joining in - thanks! 

2011-04-17 9:59 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Here is the group so far:

Nvalatis-Nick V
chmoore2-Charlie Moore
Grownassman161- Grant Berkery
TriColby-
Casde06-Corrine
Billeckert- Bill
Sobriquetness-Vanessa
pgrun Paul
xine2kgts- Chris
mywaterfront- Tanya
Wbayek- Warren
Michele241- Michele

I will leave it open for a couple more days, as we see how the attrition works out.

So, I had a decent weekend. Did a 60 mile ride and 3 mile run saturday, and then worked at a triathlon this morning as a race official. This was my second race as an official. One more, and I actually get paid.

It is so interesting to see races from a different perspective. Watching riders from the back of a cycle is very different. Walking around transition, answering questions about the race and rules, makes me realize how much there is to learn about these races.

Looking forward to next week. Gym on Monday, and I hope to get in a decent run on Thursday.

Have a great week everyone!!

2011-04-17 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

I had a great run yesterday, and then decided to take today off. Sinuses were really acting up, which seems to be the story of my life the past year.

Although I am hoping that I have this figured out. I have noticed in the past that after swimming a longer session I get really congested after and takes awhile to get better. Thursday I felt like a million bucks but after my lunch swim I was congested and have not recovered yet. Doc today put me on antibiotics and steroids.

This past year has been really tough with my sinuses and when I think back it really started last spring when I started swimming consistently. I am going to start using a nose clip to see if that helps, a bunch of resources on-line state that swimming can cause sinus issues. With my already crappy sinus this could be pushing me over the edge.

Sorry about spacing will fix in the morning when I get on a pc and off my iPad.

Edited by chmoore2 2011-04-18 7:28 AM
2011-04-18 7:56 AM

User image

Ocala

Hey everyone, sounds like you all had a productive weekend as well.  I am officially amping up the workouts.  I have a 5K on Saturday that I am trying to beat my last 5K time, and I am well on the way (last time 26:30 trying to beat 24 minutes this time around).  I ran a 23 minute 5k this weekend with a 13mile bike (48 minutes) and did a sprint on the bike as well for 5 miles in 18 minutes on Saturday, that's what my training had me doing.  Finally got access to a pool, so i start swimming today!  That's what i am the most nervous about since I have never really been a swimmer, but I guess we will see after this afternoon.  Yesterday started my 9 week training plan, 3 swim, 2 bike 3 run and 3-4 strength days a week, and I am pumped.

Also, noticed my real name was not on the list,  I am Colby.

Edited by TriColby 2011-04-18 7:57 AM
2011-04-18 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3451701

User image

Master
chmoore2 - 2011-04-17 10:20 PM

This past year has been really tough with my sinuses and when I think back it really started last spring when I started swimming consistently. I am going to start using a nose clip to see if that helps, a bunch of resources on-line state that swimming can cause sinus issues. With my already crappy sinus this could be pushing me over the edge.

Charlie,

Sounds like your workout was decent. That is good news.

Although I haven't had problems from the swimming, I do remember reading a really good thread here on BT about swimming and sinus problems. From what I remember, nose clip was one of the solutions, but there was something else as well. If I have time later, I will try to search it out for you.

I have major sinus problems when I scuba dive, so I just don't get to go as much as I like to.

2011-04-18 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3451992

User image

Master
TriColby - 2011-04-18 7:56 AM

Hey everyone, sounds like you all had a productive weekend as well.  I am officially amping up the workouts.  I have a 5K on Saturday that I am trying to beat my last 5K time, and I am well on the way (last time 26:30 trying to beat 24 minutes this time around).  I ran a 23 minute 5k this weekend with a 13mile bike (48 minutes) and did a sprint on the bike as well for 5 miles in 18 minutes on Saturday, that's what my training had me doing.  Finally got access to a pool, so i start swimming today!  That's what i am the most nervous about since I have never really been a swimmer, but I guess we will see after this afternoon.  Yesterday started my 9 week training plan, 3 swim, 2 bike 3 run and 3-4 strength days a week, and I am pumped.

Also, noticed my real name was not on the list,  I am Colby.

Nice weekend! Take it easy on yourself in the pool if you don't have a swimming background. It can be frustrating, so take it slow and do a lot of floating and breast stroke.

One thing that I think isn't mentioned enough for beginners is breathing. I don't even think it is a matter of getting enough oxygen as it is of the way that you use your chest and diaphragm when you swim. Your arms and core could be in great shape, but if you feel out of breath, it can really make you suffer in the water.

I saw on your logs you did a barefoot run on Wednesday. How long were your calves sore? I ran barefoot for 5 K on Saturday and had the least pain yet. My calves and achilles are finally getting stronger.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20