BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2011-05-06 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3485045

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - OPEN

Well that's fantastic.... I'm glad you've been bitten by the bug. I totally agree with you though.  Well, stay focused and be committed and you can do anything! Most of all have fun and to race your race.  How many races are you going to do this year?

Scott

2011-05-06 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3483736

User image

Expert

Aren't those Hill workouts fun! Awesome job!

Scott

2011-05-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3439366

User image

Expert

My workouts for today 5/6/2011. What are yours?

Swim 

Warmup:900 continuous @ TT+10Main Set:2 X ((3 X 100 all out with paddles (no buoy) on TT + 10 sec), 200 easy pull (buoy, no paddles))3 X 200 Pull on TT+10 swam at TT+5 Bike Warmup:40 min @ ZR/Z1Main Set:2 X (10 min interval @ 55-60 RPM, 4 min easy recovery @ 90 rpm, 3 X (1 min @ 105+ RPM, 1 min @ 90 RPM easy recovery for both)**Use best sustainable effort through all intervals**Cooldown:To 90 min @ ZR

2011-05-06 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3485106

User image

Expert

The 305 is a great HRM, the only thing you can't do with the 305 though is bring it in the water. But as soon as you're out of the water have it ready in transition. The 305 is widely used, you can get accessories for it ( I would recommend getting the foot pod, and cadence sensor) Also go to connect.garmin.com and create a FREE Account. One question though. What operating system are you using for your computer? A friend of mine has this one and it doesn't play well with Windows 7. But other than that I've heard nothing but bad things. 

Scott

2011-05-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3483805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Scott, I have ran  a 10k on my own so that is not a problem, pace might not be the fastest but i will get there. The training plan i am following is kind of a mutated one I found on the internet. The first 2 weeks are more swim orientated as I have already been running. Biking will be the next focus. Currently using a mountain bike. I am going to get an old 10speed up and running as I figure it is better then the mountain bike. I am awaiting some triathlon training books I ordered through the library before settling on a training program.

I will probably start out with training 8-9 hours/week and see where it takes me. 

What I am looking to get out of this is any and all information!

Like shorts/swim suit etc. I have no idea what to buy for a swim suit...is there one that you wear for the whole race? Does the suit chafe? 

For my swimming, I am currently just plowing through the water to get my swimming arms back in shape so they don't feel like falling off after 6 or 7 laps. Should I be doing sets?

Biking-Is it worth it to get aero bars?

Thanks!

2011-05-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3485149

User image

Expert

Well, I use one suit the whole race. It's a skin suit, similar to this. 

http://www.triathletesports.com/Zoot-Men-s-Endurance-Tri-Racesuit-p/z0611751.htm

This suit, has small padding in the shorts for the bike, but other than trying it a few times, I wouldn't train with it to often though. If you're going to be swimming in a pool, any swim trunks will do. It's actually better that you have drag anyway as it will increase your lat muscles.  For OWS swim, and bricks I would use this suit. You wear this throughtout the event. Under your wetsuit, on the bike, and on the run not changing at all. Saving time in transition. However this is all if you feel comfortable wearing one. There is so many chain of thoughts about this. When in the saddle and doing bike training, I would get a pair of bike shorts. Just for the extra padding. .

Are you going to be wearing a wetsuit? If you are look in the forum's for the coupon code to save up to 50% from Xterra Wetsuits. 

Swim can you do the whole distance swimming yet? If not, I would work on building that up. Until you can swim the whole distance of the event continue working up to that. Once you do, then yes I would begin doing sets. It will give you confidence that you can swim the distance, now you can begin working on the speed. 

What kind of Ten Speed are you going to be building? Aero bars are good. Not knowing anything about your cycling background, these will allow your upper body to rest while on the bike. It also lets you cut through the air, especially if it's windy out.  So, getting a set of clip on's is a good idea. Not required though. 

Keep up the good work!

Scott

2011-05-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3485186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Thanks Scott, not sure about the skin suit. I would probably look like a breakfast sausage with arms in it. Laughing I can swim the complete distance, just not very fast yet. I will probably continue on as is for next week then switch up the swimming to sets.

Thanks for all of the help!

2011-05-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3485233

User image

Expert

Well, one thing I can promise you though. No one is going to be looking at you and saying that you shouldn't be wearing that. So many people will be worried about their race. Once thing about this sport is that so many people are supportive. You'll either be running or biking and people will be encouraging you on the way. 

Awesome that you can already swim the distance. But like everything else, the more you swim the faster you become. How many strokes does it take you to get down to the other end of the pool?

Next time you swim, do this

Do you golf? If so, you'll understand what I'm going to be talking about next

Swim 50 yards, count your strokes and time in seconds.  Remember this, the result will be one hole. Do another 50 yards and see if your score has increased or decreased. My coach call's these GOLF Drills.  To go faster you either have a quicker turn around for arms. 

Also, next time swim a 500 yards to warm up. Then swim an 800 (32 laps in a pool) take the time and divide by 10. This will give you how long it takes to swim 100 yards.  Once you know how fast you can swim a 100 yards you can add rest on there. So if someone says swim a 100 yards on best TT and 20 seconds. That would be swim your TT pace plus 20 seconds

Scott

2011-05-06 12:07 PM

User image

Hello Everyone,

I just did a short bike ride before work today (14.77 miles).  I took it fairly easy but it was pretty hilly.  I've tried to start to anticipate the hill and shift to a lower (easier) gear earlier.  Previous to this I'd wait until my legs started to burn and if it was a long or steep hill this was a real mistake.  So, trying to get my legs back after the 7 weeks off with the ITB injury when I was biking 2x per week but with very low resistance, mostly swimming.  Scott - is this how you approach hills, anticipate where you think you will need to be and shift prior to that point?

Jen - I live in Savage.  I also have to travel to go to a bike trail but aren't we lucky to have so many choices.  I have a new employee at work and he was rattling off all the places he's been.  I've stayed away from anything that says crushed limestone but he said it's as easy as paved trails so I might try one and will let you know.  I want to try the Gateway Trail that goes from St. Paul to Stillwater and back soon.  Sounds like your training is really on track.  I feel like I'm playing catch up but will get there.  Good luck!

Linda

2011-05-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3485113

User image

WV
A 45-minute swim for me this morning.  Main set consisted of a ladder, moving from 100, 200, 300, 400 and back down, with short recoveries (less than 15 seconds).  At lunch, I was able to squeeze in a short 35-minute run, staying in zones 1-2.  That's it for me -- I love recovery weeks!

Have a great Friday everyone!

2011-05-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3485543

User image

Expert

Yeah, I hear that about recovery weeks. I had mine last week. This is the first week of my build. Great workout though Daniel!

Scott

2011-05-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3485528

User image

Expert

Linda, 

I train with HR and Power, so I shift according to my power output of the goal I'm trying to keep. My eyes are constantly moving watching my cadence, my power, and my HR. My HR is allowed to go 10 beats higher than my instructed zone. But No more, I have to try to keep my cadence from 90-95 throughout my rides, and I'm trying to maintain 260-270 watts. That's what I watch. Good job on your bike ride though!

Scott

2011-05-06 3:29 PM

New user

Hi Scott, I'm new to the world of triathlon but I've always wanted to train for and race them for years. I've become very sedentary and the feeling is just gross. I struggle with going to the gym and/or training "just because.". My wife said I should train for something specific, thinking that would motivate me and I think she's right. I'm essentially starting from square one so I know I have a lot of work ahead of me.There is a sprint triathlon in August that I want as my first "competition" training goal.

A little about myself:

• Weight: 250lbs
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Heart rate Monitor: Check!
  • Gym membership: Check!
  • Bike: Check! (Mountain hardtail though)
  • Swimming ability: Former lifeguard and swim instructor

Not sure what else is relevant but I'm eager to make fitness a regular part of my life again!

~ mike

Edited by Archigos 2011-05-07 11:55 AM
2011-05-06 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3485930

User image

Expert
Hi Mike! Well, sounds like you're going to do well being an ex lifeguard in all. So, glad to hear that you signed up for a triathlon. I see you have a HRM, Also a bike that's good.  Do you mtn bike with that hard tail? Well, glad that you have a gym membership. Where are you from? Do you run? Well, look forward in hearing back from you soon, and welcome to the Mentor Group!
2011-05-07 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3485948

New user

Hi Scott,

I live in Centreville, VA, less than 30 miles from D.C.  I haven't done much biking but I'm close to Shenandoah National Park and there are quite a few trails in my area.  I used to run quite a bit but haven't in awhile.  I really do mean I'm starting from square one but I know I can do it!  I got my zones figured out about 2 months ago so I'll use that as a baseline.  Do you recommend getting your zones re-checked frequently?

Glad to have a place to get feedback, tips, and encouragement!

2011-05-07 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3486685

User image

Expert

Well, I would verify  your zones every month or so. But, as a general rule the zones won't change that much in a short period. Consider doing a time trial, same spot same distance once a month. Go all out and see how you do. 

Scott

2011-05-07 8:43 PM

I'm in.

Resolved to do my first sprint this July. Trained for a Bi several years back, got sick  with 1 wk to go and fell off the badwagon until now. Got motivated again by a friend doing one this June and by the fact that I wanted to do one b4 the big 50 (I'm now 47, married 3 little kids, busy job,  5'9, 170 and little free time but i still want to do it.). Looking at a tri 7/23 (.25 swim (pool), 13m ride presumably on flat  surface, 3.1m run)

I swam alot as a Kid in HS and even some in college but more of a sprinter not long distance (ugh). Hadn't been in the pool  seriously until several yrs back when I trained for a charity openwater mile swim. Just got back in the water several 6 wks ago and have been doing 1/4-1/2 mile swims 2-3x week.  Averaging about 10-12m for 1/4m.  Today I was swimming in a lane next to a guy in another lane who said he was training for an Ironman. I kept close pace to him for the first quarter doing an even 10 min but clearly his stamina was superior and I quicky faded in the second quarter needing to do some breaststroke. Oh well it was a nice challenge.

I've done some riding over the past few years but just sporadically (a fair amount of indoor spinning). Just brought my bike in to get it tuned up ( I have a 20 year old raliegh with the gear shifters still on the diagonal bar. Runs well but needs to be cleaned up. If i get into this sport I will make the investment in a better bike but for now as my first Tri didn't want to make the investment. (did get a pair of tri shorts, already owned bike shoes....). Been doing  lots of spining over the past few weeks (several times a week  getting about 35-40min for 13 m....but I know this doesn't simulate the real thing. Hopefully will have my bike back soon to start braving the potholes, rocks, real hills etc)

The Run. Ok let's be honest and this is my (pardon the pun) achillies heel. I don't like running (give me more pool or bike time anyday).  Could barely do 2m about 2months ago on a treadmill at about a 10min mile pace but have worked my way up to  about 3 miles keeping that 10-12 min pace. Weather just got better  and did my first few outdoor runs (ugh.. ugh...ugh).  Somewhat painful as there are alot of hills around here and  my back feels it. Still kept about a 35 min  3.1 mile pace. Will get a better pair of sneaks but don't want to break the bank...this endeavour is expensive enough.

I've done some mini back to backs at the gym but not out doors to get the feel of riding in a wet suit, or running in a wet suit but I'm sure they don't simulate the real thing. Have also spun then run on a treadmill and  seemd OK with it.

Been doing lots of reading on this site about things like the transitions which I have no clue of what to expect. Read about different strategies to save a little time like having your bike shoes already clipped into the pedals (I admit that I do fumble a little clipping into the pedals so the may be effective for me but means I'd be running through transition  to the mounting place in bare feet or socks...oh yea next question to ride in socks or sockless? Did some  spins sockless and had no issues.... I have an oldHR monitor but need new batteries.

A big issue I will have in this training is 3 wks b4 the event I'm going  on a  2 wk mediterranian cruise with my family for my 20th anniversary. I will have one week btween return and the tri. This will take major discipline as we all know the temptations of a cruise (this will be motivation not to overindulge). Unfortunately it will mean things like biking will be  relegated to stationary spinning on the boat, running around a deck track early in the am and swimming in a pool that  is not that long during the peak period of training. Hopefully I will be prepared before I go away and not get too far off track while I'm away.

Goals: Simply to finish (I'm concerned something like a mechanical bike issue could  occur), not get hurt or sick, not embarrass my self and maybe lose a little wt along the way.  I think under 1:30 would be a pipedream so realistically trying to go under 2 hr, maybe 1:45...is that possible? Who knows.

Thanks for the ear any any advice.

Gil

2011-05-07 9:00 PM

User image

Hello Everyone,

I'm up at my parents cabin getting it ready for summer.  They are both in their 80's so it's time for me to step up and help out more.  Managed to get a 3.5 mile run and a 16.82 mile bike ride in.  Scott - working to keep my heart rate lower has really paid off and is making both the bike and run more enjoyable.

Just got the Total Immersion DVD and stayed up to watch it until 1am this morning.  My husband laughs that I am getting a bit obsessed about the tri training, but he is also the guy who thinks it is totally ok, even preferable to run, bike, swim instead of doing housework.  Well, as you can imagine I had to marry the guy....29 years and counting.

Hope everyone else had a good  day!

Linda

2011-05-08 5:54 AM

Regular

I actually had my zones tested a while ago - about six months ago (which I probably should be re-tested because my endurance has changed), but I can feel it pretty good now so I've been able to adjust it since the original test. 

No, I haven't been timed for an 800tt swimming or an 8 min TT trial on the bike - what is it and how do you time it? 

Yesterday I was able to get on the bike and went for a decent ride (25 miles) and climbed the highest hill in the county - it was pretty hard and I wasn't sure I was able to do it, but I made it. 

I signed up for a 5k and I'm running it this morning, so I'll get that behind me this morning.

Have a great day

2011-05-08 6:13 AM

User image

Expert

Scott we haven't met yet but I joined the Bay State team this year and you've replied to some of my threads on that forum where I'm Scott68. I've only been to the season kickoff at Great Chow for team events but I didn't run into you there. Cool that you're running a group, your results speak for themselves. Love to join.

My name is Scott and I'm 43 and live in Massachusetts. I'm married with four daughters. I get up at insane hours to train so that I disrupt the family life as little as possible. I work in technology as a database administrator. I've competed at one thing or another my entire life. I was on a skydiving team and went to 8 national championships taking two bronze and a silver in the intermediate category in 4 and 8 way disciplines. Intermediate is non pro equivalent. I took up lacrosse as an adult and played in a league for a few year. I've lifted weights and trained my entire life.

Getting a bit older and not being able to push the heavy weights any longer without risking injury I started doing some spinning and then some treadmill. The triathlon work didn't start until I started swimming. I did 5 laps the first day and had no clue as to pacing, form or breathing. I thought well this sucks. However I stuck with it on my own and just kept doing continuous laps. I got to the point where I would hop in the pool and do a mile while doing bilateral breathing the entire time. If you think that's easy try it. So a friend talked my into signing up for masters swim last July. The first class I did about 2200 yards and was probably hypoxic for a great deal of it just trying to keep up in the slowest of the six lanes. I've since moved up two lanes and average about 3200 yards per class. I frequently lead the lane and can comfortably bring in 100's in about 135 and I'm not tanked Vs when I started 2:10 and I felt like my heart was going to hop out of my chest.

I did my first sprint last September. Again I had no clue. The swim was .4 miles and I pretty much swam it all out. I then hopped on my heavy as hell hybrid and did the same. By the time the run came I was junk.

I ran my first half marathon in March. Having not done one I approach it smarter. My first 5 miles my average pace was 9:55. My last 5 miles my average pace was about 8:15 with my last mile being 7:41 for a total time of 1:59:56 to come in just under two hours.

I ran the Cohasset 10K last month even though my legs felt dead and the course had 1100 feet of ascents I did a  51:45 and an 8:14 pace which I was quite happy with.

I purchase a brand new Guru Magis last month. A 2010 stock closeout that I've managed to put 200 miles on so far. Very happy with the purchase

I have 3 Olympics planned for this year. If they go well I'm going to do a Half in September. The first two Olympics I really have no time goals. I just want to run a smart race, have good transitions and get the experience. They are both in June. The NYC TRI in August I would like to break 2.5 hours. This is a very aggressive goal so we'll see how it goes.

As far as weight loss I weighed about 207 when I started masters swim. Nobody would have called me fat by any stretch. I've lost 23 pound to 184. I weighed about 187 at New Years so it's been pretty consistent since then. At a notch under 6 ft and a pretty muscular build I might be able to take off another 5-7 pounds but I'll have to work at it. Right now I eat perfect during the day but eat whatever the wife makes for dinner which is mostly pretty healthy anyway but there's chicken Marsala and things like that mixed in which obviously don't help with weight loss. 

I fill in my training logs regularly since mid Feb. I swim about 6400 yards per week. Run about 15 miles per week. Biking because of the weather and lack of a trainer cycling has suffered and has been spinning until recently. Because of that I've decreased my running volume a little while greatly increasing my biking volume but keeping the biking intensity mostly in the lower range until I get used to riding in the aero position which is quite different. I had my best cycling training to date yesterday. As I get more miles I keep picking up technical things that save me time without really putting out any more intensity. Would love to hear tips on everything from changing gears on hills to corning in the aero position and when to standup, etc.

2011-05-08 7:16 AM

Hello! Just wanted to share that I had my second tri yesterday and set a personal record. My swim was 17:32 almost 3 minutes faster than my last! I also was over 2 mins faster overall on a longer course! Set a personal record 5K of 32:01 -- which is great for me! I want to know how to get faster on the bike. Are there any workouts I can do. I basically just go out and ride on the roads near my house which are pretty rolling and challenging. I don't have a trainer yet because I like to ride outside. Any advice is appreciated!

Joy

2011-05-08 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3487518

Regular

Just got home from the 5k - here are my times:

Total Run - 34:20

Mile 1 - 11:30

Mile 2 - 11:00

Finish 34:20

I definitely want to try to get to a 10 minute mile by my first tri - which is in seven weeks

2011-05-08 9:23 AM

Well a friend and I did our first 5K walk/run yesterday.  We did not come in first but we also dd not come in last.  We walked the majority of it and jogged across the last 50 feet or so.  We have a long way to go to get to triathlon level but we are going to start by doing 5K's once a month and build on that until we get to the point of doing 5K's together.  We are so excited.  We finish yesterday jut under and hour although is was a first year race experience so they did not take official times.  I know my heart rate was 124 most of the way.

Scott, you mentions steps or something like that about your heart rate.  How do I figure that and what they mean?  I now how to figure my target heart rate which I was within but I don't know the steps or stages thing you spoke of.  I would like to understand that more. 

Still at the same weight this week but should be on the loosing streak again next week as the exercise program is back in the works.  I am excited about it again so it will be an interesting ride to take.

Thanks, hope everyone else is doing as well or better.

Avona.

2011-05-08 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3487267

User image

Expert

Hey there, sorry for the late response, I actually volunteered today at a local triathlon. It sounds like  you have a strong hold on biking and swimming. However, I would spend some more time running. Great time while on your cruise. Look into buying a swim lanyard, and tie yourself off and that will allow to continue swimming. Build up that endurance. Running, will get better I promise. I personally hated running at first but now I don't mind it. 

While biking for triathlons, I don't wear socks at all. But regular biking, I do wear socks.  Sprints, I don't even use socks while I run. 

Get the batteries changed for your HRM.

Don't worry about mechanical failure, you're getting your biked looked into now. If you're worried, get it rechecked the week before the race. However, just relax everything will be fine. 

Today, at the triathlon I ran in with the last person at the triathlon. Not one person looked at this lady like she was failure. They all cheered her in. That's one thing about this sport. Everyone is pulling for you. And you won't be embarrassed. Race day, is like every other day but you need to execute. 

Well, look forward in hearing back from you!

Scott

2011-05-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3487287

User image

Expert

Linda

I'm glad that lowering your HR has been more enjoyable during your training. Come race day! You'll let the tiger out of the cage. 

Yeah TI is great, the 90 min video has taught me a lot. These drills really do work. When you get used to this, incorporate these into your swim drills. Now build working up that endurance in the pool...

Thanks for the update!

Scott

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67