BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-05-12 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3495923

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED

Back from Zion Natl Park and was able to burn a bunch of calories by hiking and setting up camp...  It was a bit cold and rainy, so not the BEST trip...

I'm starting to miss my tri training.  Lot's of things popping up.  Now I have to go to Minn for 4-5 days next week...  At least I can get some running in...

2011-05-12 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3494600

User image

Sensei
Sin City
arquillo - 2011-05-11 5:27 PM

I recently converted from running in the Nike Free 3.0 to the Merrill Trail Glove. The transition from traditional running shoes has made a WORLD of difference for me - I love, love, love them! My knees used to ache so bad after I ran that I could hardly walk up/down a flight of stairs without completely supporting myself on the handrail. I now have NO pain in my knees, despite the fact that I am running more miles than I have ever done in my life. I highly recommend the minimalist shoe. I personally didn't care for the New Balance minimalist shoes, but they were rated really high in the online reviews I read. 

I will add only one other thing - when they say transition into them slowly, they are not joking. 

~Michelle

Thanks for this...  My knees are starting to act up after years of this sport.  I figured it could be age or arthritis??  Anyway, I looked into the Vibram 5 fingers or some other kind of minimmalist running footwear.  This my push me in that direction.

(and yes, it's getting almost to the point of needing the handrail to negotiate steps!)

2011-05-12 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3496306

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Kido - 2011-05-12 4:24 PM
arquillo - 2011-05-11 5:27 PM

(and yes, it's getting almost to the point of needing the handrail to negotiate steps!)

And there is something wrong with that!

2011-05-12 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3495923

User image

San Jose

chsdaddy,

I have a few friends who recommend the Total Immersion DVD for the crawl; I just watched the freestyle DVD (I'm currently only do the breaststroke) and there are about 12 - 15 drills before you even attempt the crawl - head position in the water, arm position, etc.  I will try some of the drills this weekend.

2011-05-13 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3496676

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Question for the group to think about...

How is your bike fit?  Have you had a professional fit or just winging it?  In terms of efficiency, it's one of the most important things to have dialed in.

If you don't have a professional fit, and lack the funds/desire to get one - let me suggest the bike fit calculator at competitivecyclist.com.  It's found HERE.   I have found that I'm EXTREMELY close to my actual professional fits by using this calculator.  In fact, variations were too small to probably even notice.  If I didn't have access to a professional, I would go this route, hands down.  Notice, they have a fit for tri, road, AND mountain bike.

2011-05-15 12:58 AM
in reply to: #3498266

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think I finally got my workouts planned for then next 5 months or so...  I work MUCH better that way.  If I leave it up to me just getting out there, I tend to procrastinate or slack...

I also suggest using a plan to anyone wanting a bit more structure or needing some guidance.  BT has many good plans for all ability levels and many are free!

I have also loaded several other plans into my logs.  I can easily provide them to you in an excel file to use and/or load into you logs if you are a paid BT member.  I think I have an Olympic plan, HIM, and IM plan.

2011-05-15 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Here is a link list to get to the mentor group and all the members!  It's nice to drop it into your logs for quick access.

MENTOR GROUP
Kido/Jim
chsdaddy/Karl
clfoxer
adsvil
Otter sh/Steve
gokat/Kat
arquillo/Michelle
StephanieHarvey/Stephanie
CJFealy/Chelsea
Mike7056/Mike
colossians_33 

P.S.  I tested all the link a couple times, and they seem solid.  But if anyone finds that they are not working, let me know.

Edited by Kido 2011-05-15 2:07 PM
2011-05-15 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3486952

These are very helpful articles, even though I'm in no hurry to go test my true Max Heart rate! LOL!
2011-05-16 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3496676

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
stefanieharvey - 2011-05-12 9:38 PM

chsdaddy,

I have a few friends who recommend the Total Immersion DVD for the crawl; I just watched the freestyle DVD (I'm currently only do the breaststroke) and there are about 12 - 15 drills before you even attempt the crawl - head position in the water, arm position, etc.  I will try some of the drills this weekend.

I looked at the TI website and looks like some good info.  Thanks for the tip.

I think the plan for now is to just work through it.  After this season if I am serious about making real progress I will hire a swim instructor, and maybe even a Tri-coach.  Right wrong or indifferent I am using the fear of embarrassment in a race to motivate me to stick with a workout plan to lose some weight and change my lifestyle.  I am enjoying it and it's working 30lbs to date!

My goal this year is to build some base endurance and maybe next year look at doing an OWS.  Everything I plan on this year is in a pool so I'm not too worried about drowning!!

Next race is a reverse tri so swim is last, we'll see what happens. 

2011-05-16 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

I have a question about perceived effort.  I have ordered a new watch band for my heart rate monitor so I don't know what that was and will do the tests you linked to.  I thought they made a lot of sense and noticed my self that I have a much harder time getting my heart rate up on the bike.

Anyway this weekend I did a bike ride that has a long (8 mile cat 2) climb.  For me its low gear and pump it out.  What I noticed is that my perceived breathing and heart rate was not limiting my ability to go faster, I just didn't feel strong enough.  Since I am dieting is this possibly related to not being properly "fueled"?  If so is it hurting my training?  I have noticed this in many instances before.  Don't get me wrong I could push it enough to get my heart rate to climb, I just noticed when I got into a rhythm I felt like my strength was the limiting factor.  Does this even make sense?  When I get my HRM going again it will be interesting to do some experimenting.

2011-05-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3502986

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm traveling, so it's hard to put some time into BT for the next 4 days...  BUT, I will put some thought into the RPE question...

But right off the cuff, when it comes to climbing, there is a reason they say "spin up a climb"...  It saves the legs... The pros do it, even to extremes.  It taxes your cardio system more (heart and lungs) to spin fast at a low gear.  It uses your muscular system more to push a BIG gear at a low rpm...  That's probably what you are experiencing to some extent...

Try to hit between 85 and 95 rpm at whatever gear that allows you to do that, and see what that does.  Could also just mean you don't have your climbing legs yet, and just some more hill workouts will help with strength.

2011-05-17 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3503871

User image

manchester, UK

thanks for those articles, i gave it ago. it hurt! is all i have to say about that.  it came out at 188 beats per minute! im not sure if thats god or bad and resting is around 55 bpm.  im really getting serious cravings for calories, its a struggle to fight them, has anyone else had this problem?

thanks

2011-05-17 2:58 PM

OK, so I have a question about mph--I am guessing a need some sort of gadget on my bike to be able to tell if I am in the proper cadence?  Recommendations? Can you explain what the 60-90 is about --revolutions or miles per hour?  I am a novice--don't know any of this stuff!

thanks!

Yes, Mike, since working out more diligently I find I am hungry practically all of the time too.  I am finding it helpful to make sure I snack between meals on some kind of protein (nuts or cheese stick usually) and a fruit or vegetable.  That way I don't overeat at the next meal. 

2011-05-17 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3504541

User image

Sensei
Sin City
colossians_33 - 2011-05-17 12:58 PM

OK, so I have a question about mph--I am guessing a need some sort of gadget on my bike to be able to tell if I am in the proper cadence?  Recommendations? Can you explain what the 60-90 is about --revolutions or miles per hour?  I am a novice--don't know any of this stuff!

thanks!

Yes, Mike, since working out more diligently I find I am hungry practically all of the time too.  I am finding it helpful to make sure I snack between meals on some kind of protein (nuts or cheese stick usually) and a fruit or vegetable.  That way I don't overeat at the next meal. 

cadence is your pedling speed in rpm (revolutions per minute)...  Idealy, you want to keep that over 80 in most cases.  As you adjust the gearing for the terrain, your speed will be faster or slower BUT, your cadence should always be pretty high for efficiency.  Pushing really hard on the pedals and turning them slowly, is tough on the muscles, but not as tough on the heart/lungs...

Maybe think of it this way...  Suppose you have to get 300 lbs of weight up some steps...  You could do one SLOW trip with the entire 300 lbs but it would be VERY heavy and hard on the muscles...  OR, you could take 30 fast trips taking 10 lbs each which works your cardio more.  (let's pretend it takes the same amount of time to drag the 300 up compared to the 30 trips of 10 lbs).

The KING of high cadence cycling, and one of the guys who really introduced that as a winning technique is Lance Armstrong.  That was his style and his was CRAZY high.  Well over 100 and closer to 115 rpm...  It was a winning formula for him, and soon basically adopted at the correct way to ride.

BUT, I will add that cadence is very indepenent and is unique to the individual.  Some people tend to be "spinners" while others tend to be "mashers".  But both groups should still try to be over 80.  I personally feel most "in the groove" at about 88-90.

As for knowing your cadence, there are way to measure it.  Several bike computers have cadence options.  But not needed.  I sort of learned based on gym bikes and just sort of know what 90 feels like.

As for speed, it's nice to know and I like to have a bike computer just to know time/milliage/speed, but none of that is critical.  It's more about getting out there and riding at the right effort level, no matter the speed or miles...  You can get a cheapo computer for 20 bucks that does everything you would need.

2011-05-17 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3504061

User image

Sensei
Sin City
mike7056 - 2011-05-17 9:52 AM

thanks for those articles, i gave it ago. it hurt! is all i have to say about that.  it came out at 188 beats per minute! im not sure if thats god or bad and resting is around 55 bpm.  im really getting serious cravings for calories, its a struggle to fight them, has anyone else had this problem?

thanks

Yes!  They do hurt.  I sort of groan any time I have to do them.  Thank goodness it's only a couple times a  year!  Several times, if I run a 10k race, I just hit the lap button at the right time, and use the race as my LT test...

2011-05-17 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3504061

User image

Sensei
Sin City
mike7056 - 2011-05-17 9:52 AM

thanks

And you plugged it into the spreadsheet and/or the calculator provided by BT?  Then you have your zones!

2011-05-18 6:10 PM

User image

San Jose

Just want to say hi to everyone; last week was tough still fighting an infection.  Swam yesterday and running today.  The sun finally came out this afternoon so it should be nice.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Saw the chiro today who reminded me of the importance of stretching (and not sitting so much at work!  Leave the sitting for the bike ;-)

2011-05-18 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Checking in - OWS swim and bridge waddle tonight...  Shoulder actually feels ok after them.

Need to get my HR monitor out of garage and start using.

2011-05-19 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Looking for some thoughts/opinions on strength training. I have included it in my training twice per week, one day for chest/arms/back and one day for legs/abs, since I began training back in February. I am beginning to question the wisdom of continuing to do this as my training program becomes more intense. My muscles seem to be overly tired lately, and I have been getting numerous leg cramps. I have taken this week off from training, for a number of reasons, but the main one is to give my body a chance to rest. Is there a point where I should stop strength training and then pick up again in the off season or am I still adjusting overall to my training program? 

Michelle 

2011-05-20 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3508880

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
arquillo - 2011-05-19 4:48 PM

Looking for some thoughts/opinions on strength training. I have included it in my training twice per week, one day for chest/arms/back and one day for legs/abs, since I began training back in February. I am beginning to question the wisdom of continuing to do this as my training program becomes more intense. My muscles seem to be overly tired lately, and I have been getting numerous leg cramps. I have taken this week off from training, for a number of reasons, but the main one is to give my body a chance to rest. Is there a point where I should stop strength training and then pick up again in the off season or am I still adjusting overall to my training program? 

Michelle 

All I can suggest is listen to your body.  Having been in a situation where I probably should have laid off and didn't, making a small  problem worse, will only prolong healing and hamper your training.  Nobody in this group I would guess is doing this for money, when you're overly sore or tired its no fun and thats the idea.

Had a great (hard) run today on and off trail, and played golf this afternoon.  Shot a 79.  Woohoo, 4th time in 20+ years to break 80, and I had to make a 12ft birdie put to do it.

2011-05-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3510700

User image

Sensei
Sin City

There are split camps about strength training for triathlon.  Many say it's helpful, many who say just stick to s/b/r.

I tend to lean towards being stronger is ALWAYS better than being weaker, so believe in strength training.

Of course, there are exceptions.  If you are lifting for bulk?  Yeah, that may not be the best for triathlon...

Also, if you find yourself over training, or drop a s/b/r workout to lift?  Then don't.

I always felt that if you are overtrained or pressed for time, then strength training is the first thing I drop.  After that?  I would drop a swim since that's my strongest of the three disciplines...  So when tired or short on time, drop ST workouts, then a workout from your strongest discipline, IMO.

2011-05-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3512306

User image

Sensei
Sin City

BTW, I'm back from traveling for a while, SO, I plan to get back into training and BT.  I hope to be around a bit more to checkin on you and be around for tips/advice...

I hope everyone is doing well.

2011-05-22 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3512306

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Kido - 2011-05-22 2:17 PM

There are split camps about strength training for triathlon.  Many say it's helpful, many who say just stick to s/b/r.

I tend to lean towards being stronger is ALWAYS better than being weaker, so believe in strength training.

Of course, there are exceptions.  If you are lifting for bulk?  Yeah, that may not be the best for triathlon...

Also, if you find yourself over training, or drop a s/b/r workout to lift?  Then don't.

I always felt that if you are overtrained or pressed for time, then strength training is the first thing I drop.  After that?  I would drop a swim since that's my strongest of the three disciplines...  So when tired or short on time, drop ST workouts, then a workout from your strongest discipline, IMO.

Thanks! I feel pretty good after today's strength session and swim. I think I'll just wait and see how I feel after this week.

2011-05-23 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3512605

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I hope everyone has a big week planned!  Let's get out there and get some s/b/r in!
2011-05-23 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3515036

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I wanted to mention...  That consistancy is key...  Probably more than big long workout with lots of days off in between.  Getting out there every day will have much more of an impact in the long run...  (of course, if a couple of those are long workouts, all the better!)

If anyone needs guidance, there are many beginner level plans offered on BT with short workouts every day.  Many around 30 minutes or so...  It's really important, not just for tri, but for health, to try and get something in every day...

I could also provide some entry level training plans as well...   In a few days, I will post an Oly plan, HIM, and IM plan for anyone's future use! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12