BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2011-12-23 10:44 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group is OPEN
oh yeah..did I hear poptarts mentioned?!?! 

2011-12-23 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3952154

User image

Master
Vista, CA
stampinann - 2011-12-23 8:27 PM

I wanna be a manatee too!!   looks to be a fun and energetic group!

Ann (stampinann)
Been doing Tris since 2006...addicted! Love them. Stampinann represents my prior hobby of rubber stamping...have done 7 HIM, 2 IM.  Like the longer distances cause I like slower better than fast as that seems to hurt too much.   Not doing an IM this year as I want to figure out why I break down on the run..mentally.

Family status: married to a wonderful supportive (non-tri) guy for the last 21 years.

Current training:  training for Phoenix Rock/Roll Marathon - with a big time goal for me! I am trying to go 'fast'

This year's hopeful goals: Finish STRONG at races and push myself a bit harder.  Better in all 3 sports..and work on my CORE.

2012 Races planned:

• Phoenix Marathon 1/15/2012
  • Oliver 1/2 Iron - June
  • Desert 1/2 Iron - July

Weight Loss - I train so I can EAT - food of choice - cupcakes.  all my road trips include them!!

Ann

Welcome Ann!! Which IM have you done? CDA? Just checked your logs and yes, you were up there this year, too. We finished near each other. It wasn't the run that got me so much (although I had some GI issues) it was that fridgid swim. It set me back time wise and nutrition wise. I hear rumors about a new IM in Bend, OR in 2013. ....and  yes, Yanti's the poptart queen!

Are you doing the Rock and Roll in AZ? 

Never mind...just re-read your post.

Edited by lmscozz 2011-12-23 11:00 PM
2011-12-23 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

thanks for the welcome - exciting group!!

Did Canada IM in 2009 - LOVE that course, had a wonderful day and will most likely sign up for 2013... 

CDA this past June - beautiful course, but not a race I'd like to do again (note I don't say never do again as that tends to bite me.. .  Learned a lot about me and what I like / dislike from course, training and coaching. 

Yep - Phoenix Rock/Roll...done the 1/2 three times.  A tri group in the area was doing a marathon program, so I decided to pull up my big girl pants and actually run a marathon pace when they say run m pace....and for track workouts run hard.  

I have this little ceiling I like and feel comfortable with...but yet have this desire to go faster.  Learning that soon faster will be more comfortable once I get used to it.   It's a mental journey!

2011-12-23 11:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

As I have never been one to stand on ceremony...my workout today was a coach-led swim workout totaling 1500 meters--I've been attending these workouts on Fridays for the past month--I've already seen improvement! Doubly awesome as swimming has NOT been my strong point--The best par of tonight: 6 100 meter sets--each set done at a 3 minute interval--every 100 meters I did without stopping--first time ever, also I did flip turns for the first time ever!

Needless to say, I am very happy with my workout tonight!

On another note, I look forward to getting to know everyone in this group! It looks like its gonna be a blast!

2011-12-23 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3952173

User image

Melon Presser
stampinann - 2011-12-24 1:03 PM

thanks for the welcome - exciting group!!

Did Canada IM in 2009 - LOVE that course, had a wonderful day and will most likely sign up for 2013... 

CDA this past June - beautiful course, but not a race I'd like to do again (note I don't say never do again as that tends to bite me.. .  Learned a lot about me and what I like / dislike from course, training and coaching. 

Yep - Phoenix Rock/Roll...done the 1/2 three times.  A tri group in the area was doing a marathon program, so I decided to pull up my big girl pants and actually run a marathon pace when they say run m pace....and for track workouts run hard.  

I have this little ceiling I like and feel comfortable with...but yet have this desire to go faster.  Learning that soon faster will be more comfortable once I get used to it.   It's a mental journey!

Welcome, Ann! Yes ... Pop Tarts are ALWAYS important. Glad you're here ... love your username and the banner pic of you, zagagirl and our dear Lynne whom I am close to.

I'd love to hear more about what you liked/disliked about training/coaching.

2011-12-23 11:38 PM
in reply to: #3952176

User image

Melon Presser
kgore - 2011-12-24 1:15 PM

As I have never been one to stand on ceremony...my workout today was a coach-led swim workout totaling 1500 meters--I've been attending these workouts on Fridays for the past month--I've already seen improvement! Doubly awesome as swimming has NOT been my strong point--The best par of tonight: 6 100 meter sets--each set done at a 3 minute interval--every 100 meters I did without stopping--first time ever, also I did flip turns for the first time ever!

On another note, I look forward to getting to know everyone in this group! It looks like its gonna be a blast!

We are ALL ABOUT CEREMONY here.

Congratulations on putting the hard work into swimming and the great improvements.

You breaking the flip turn virginity brings tears to my eyes! Keep it up, they'll be fast and smooth in no time.

2011-12-23 11:53 PM
in reply to: #3952186

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
TriAya - 2011-12-23 9:38 PM
kgore - 2011-12-24 1:15 PM

We are ALL ABOUT CEREMONY here.

Congratulations on putting the hard work into swimming and the great improvements.

You breaking the flip turn virginity brings tears to my eyes! Keep it up, they'll be fast and smooth in no time.

Congrats on the swimming workout and flip turns! I have yet to master fts! I know how exciting it is to see progress with swimming!
2011-12-24 3:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

Hi I've been waiting for the mentor groups to open!

I'm Shana, a 35 year old single mom who is going on my second year of triathlons. I haven't really decided on which tris I'm doing in 2012, its really going to be how my budget is going at the time, lol. I have signed up for Rock n Roll half marathon in New Orleans in March 2012.

Last year I did RocketChix Women's Triathlon and University of Louisiana tri, both sprints. I've also done 2 5ks.

I'm at my ideal weight right now and I'm maintaining at 140lbs at a height of 5'8.

I do plan on doing RocketChix again in 2012 and am considering doing IronGirl if it hasn't sold out by the time I've made up my mind lol.

2011-12-24 3:12 AM
in reply to: #3952217

User image

Melon Presser
DigitalRain - 2011-12-24 5:04 PM

I'm Shana, a 35 year old single mom who is going on my second year of triathlons. I haven't really decided on which tris I'm doing in 2012, its really going to be how my budget is going at the time, lol. I have signed up for Rock n Roll half marathon in New Orleans in March 2012.

Last year I did RocketChix Women's Triathlon and University of Louisiana tri, both sprints. I've also done 2 5ks.

I'm at my ideal weight right now and I'm maintaining at 140lbs at a height of 5'8.

I do plan on doing RocketChix again in 2012 and am considering doing IronGirl if it hasn't sold out by the time I've made up my mind lol.

Hi Shana! Welcome to the Manatees! I've seen some of your posts around the forums. Great to have you. I hear you on how the budget determines the races

2011-12-24 4:11 AM

User image

England

Good morning to you both. I send you seasons greetings from England. I would love to join your group as i am a complete Newbie in serious need of advice and encouragement.

I just joined BT today and will be entering my first race ( a sprint series) on 22nd April 2012!! (Yea me).

I am 47 and about thirty pounds overweight. For the past ten years my training has consisted of reclining on my sofa whilst lifting wine bottles (with a little cheese nibbling as an extra).  I have also managed to squeeze in about 15 cigarettes a day.
However all of this is about to stop and i would be thrilled if you guys would help me towards my goal so that my 8 year old daughter can look proudly at her dad instead of calling him the fat thing that he is.

I hope you can find a place for me in your group as i am going to be one of the success stories of 2012.Laughing

2011-12-24 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3952217

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
DigitalRain - 2011-12-24 4:04 AM

Oooh,ooooh, ooooooh, I will be at RnR new Orleans too. Registered for the full but only doing the half now. Did you get in with that huge discount after the Saints beat the Colts? 7,000 registrations that day. When else can you get $55 off a RnR event?It would be fun to meet a fellow manatee. We'll have to try to plan something.

2011-12-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3952280

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
jogo - 2011-12-24 7:04 AM

Oooh,ooooh, ooooooh, I will be at RnR new Orleans too. Registered for the full but only doing the half now. Did you get in with that huge discount after the Saints beat the Colts? 7,000 registrations that day. When else can you get $55 off a RnR event?It would be fun to meet a fellow manatee. We'll have to try to plan something.

No I didn't! I really just decided to do it recently, aaww that sucks I missed out on that huge discount! Oh well. Yes definitely we can make arrangements to meet on that day!! Its my first real marathon, I'm excited!

2011-12-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3952225

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2011-12-24 6:11 PM

Good morning to you both. I send you seasons greetings from England. I would love to join your group as i am a complete Newbie in serious need of advice and encouragement.

I just joined BT today and will be entering my first race ( a sprint series) on 22nd April 2012!! (Yea me).

I am 47 and about thirty pounds overweight. For the past ten years my training has consisted of reclining on my sofa whilst lifting wine bottles (with a little cheese nibbling as an extra).  I have also managed to squeeze in about 15 cigarettes a day.
However all of this is about to stop and i would be thrilled if you guys would help me towards my goal so that my 8 year old daughter can look proudly at her dad instead of calling him the fat thing that he is.

I hope you can find a place for me in your group as i am going to be one of the success stories of 2012.Laughing

Welcome "weeble" ... we're so honored to have you and that your first post on BT is in this group! What's your name?

You're already a success story for having the courage to begin. That's not a platitude. I've been where you've been, right down to the cigarettes ... and I hope I can offer you support and tips on your journey.

2011-12-24 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3952331

User image

Master
Vista, CA
DigitalRain - 2011-12-24 6:10 AM
jogo - 2011-12-24 7:04 AM

No I didn't! I really just decided to do it recently, aaww that sucks I missed out on that huge discount! Oh well. Yes definitely we can make arrangements to meet on that day!! Its my first real marathon, I'm excited!

Welcome Shana!! and...England man (no name yet). It's going to be a banner year, yes?  YES!!

Enjoy your Christmas Eve wherever you may be!

2011-12-24 12:34 PM

User image

Pug Palace

If you still have TRI mentor space available I would love to join this group.  It sounds like you have great fun and you have PUGS! I live in the WA Pug Palace. 

A bit about me.  I am a single middle aged mother of two sons, both are in college.  I am a runner. I have completed several half marathons and run on a regular basis.  A couple of the gals I run with on Saturday mornings and myself decided that 2012 was the year we would TRI...  So here I am.  The running part I am good with, the swimming part I am totally ok with too, the bike eeekkk can one have their bike outfitted with a big hamster like protective ball... Just asking...

I am a total TRI newbie.  My experience thus far with TRI's is purchasing equipment. I purchased an end of year 2011 clearance road bike in October with the help of a good friend who has completed several TRI's. My family names their cars so in the spirit of naming vechiles I named my scarey two wheeled light green & white contraption Tinkerbell. I bought myself a gently used wetsuit for Christmas, and finally the bravest purchase of all I bought a SWIMSUIT which I have been swimming in two days a week. 

Much to learn and a bit overwhelmed. Need to clean up my diet and drop 20 pounds.  Any and all helpful advice would be appreciated.

2012 Goals

January - Disneyland Tinkerbell Half

May - Portland Rock and Roll Half

Seattle Danskin TRI

Seattle TREK TRI

TRI TURTLE TRI

2011-12-24 12:47 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina

I'm always up for some fun still got space?

Family status: I'm 30 and married, with a 80lb yellow lab who is scared of everything and is my running and OWS partner.  I work days the wife works nights so it's better for me to be out of the house when she is sleeping hence Tri's
Current training: Currently training for my first HM, had wanted to do the full but between IT band issues and a cold bordering on the flu backed off to the HM instead. 

This year's races (2011): 2011 was my first year racing and completed a sprint in May (1:21:26) and an Oly (3:10) and have enjoyed it immensley

2012 Races planned
*Charleston HM Jan
*Try Charleston HIM- April
*Police Unity Tour, 3 day 250 mile charity ride, I know not a race but I'll be training for it. May
*I hope to hit a couple of a local sprint series but have to see how it works with my schedule *Kiawah Olympic Tri- September

*Possibly Kiawah Marathon depending if I can hit the training December

My main goal this coming year is continue base building and get better at getting up at 0430 to go S/B/R  

2011-12-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3952601

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

Welcome to BT - wagonnatri - you must be another PACNW gal based on your race plans...me too!  I am in North Bend and love to ride the bike!  EXCITING times are ahead. 

Tripopo - hopefully in this manatee time when you learn how to "get better at getting up at 0430 to go S/B/R" you can help me learn!! I don't do that well at ALL.  My rule after my first IM is that I wouldn't get up before 5AM to go train!!  I just signed up for a 'dry land' class that starts at 6AM and is 40 min from my house (on the way to work at least) which is skirting on breaking that rule.  I have been going to the swim that starts at 6:45...so they are just tacking on the dry land....Lucky for me?!?!

~Ann

2011-12-24 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
wagonnatri - 2011-12-24 10:34 AM

If you still have TRI mentor space available I would love to join this group.  It sounds like you have great fun and you have PUGS! I live in the WA Pug Palace. 

A bit about me.  I am a single middle aged mother of two sons, both are in college.  I am a runner. I have completed several half marathons and run on a regular basis.  A couple of the gals I run with on Saturday mornings and myself decided that 2012 was the year we would TRI...  So here I am.  The running part I am good with, the swimming part I am totally ok with too, the bike eeekkk can one have their bike outfitted with a big hamster like protective ball... Just asking...

I am a total TRI newbie.  My experience thus far with TRI's is purchasing equipment. I purchased an end of year 2011 clearance road bike in October with the help of a good friend who has completed several TRI's. My family names their cars so in the spirit of naming vechiles I named my scarey two wheeled light green & white contraption Tinkerbell. I bought myself a gently used wetsuit for Christmas, and finally the bravest purchase of all I bought a SWIMSUIT which I have been swimming in two days a week. 

Much to learn and a bit overwhelmed. Need to clean up my diet and drop 20 pounds.  Any and all helpful advice would be appreciated.

2012 Goals

Seattle Danskin TRI

Seattle TREK TRI

TRI TURTLE TRI

Welcome!! You're in the right place. What's your "real" name? With the running background and swimming initiative and buying a bike and wetsuit, you are so ready. When I started the whole triathlon stuff a few years ago, I knew nothing but with the help of BT and some research on my own, got up to speed quickly. I think the Danskin tri's are great first races. They are very female friendly and empowering for women. Glad to have you on board!

2011-12-24 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3952607

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Tripopo - 2011-12-24 10:47 AM

Family status: I'm 30 and married, with a 80lb yellow lab who is scared of everything and is my running and OWS partner.  I work days the wife works nights so it's better for me to be out of the house when she is sleeping hence Tri's
Current training: Currently training for my first HM, had wanted to do the full but between IT band issues and a cold bordering on the flu backed off to the HM instead. 

This year's races (2011): 2011 was my first year racing and completed a sprint in May (1:21:26) and an Oly (3:10) and have enjoyed it immensley

2012 Races planned
*Charleston HM Jan
*Police Unity Tour, 3 day 250 mile charity ride, I know not a race but I'll be training for it. May
*I hope to hit a couple of a local sprint series but have to see how it works with my schedule *Kiawah Olympic Tri- September

My main goal this coming year is continue base building and get better at getting up at 0430 to go S/B/R  

Yes, welcome! We need some more testosterone in this pod. Looks like a great schedule. You'll enjoy the bump up to HIM. It's great training after what you've done already.

2011-12-24 8:08 PM

User image

Melon Presser
wagonnatri - 2011-12-25 2:34 AM

2012 Goals

Seattle Danskin TRI

Seattle TREK TRI

TRI TURTLE TRI

As Lynn said, a warm welcome! To BT and this group both!

I hear you on the bike. When I got mine (right before my first tri), I seriously asked the guys at the bike shop if they could put training wheels on it. No, but they did put big cruiser bars on it so I could reach the handlebars and possibly learn how to turn them.

HEY LYNN HER BIKE IS NAMED TINKERBELL!!! That is verrrry special ... it was a Tinkerbell that named us the Manatees, many moons ago.

Once the group firms up, I'll be posting all sorts of useful things ... as for cleaning up the diet and losing weight, a couple things really helped me (I'm sure others will chime in ... see what seems useful to you).

1. One change at a time. Like, one week switch to skimmed

WAIT A MINUTE. There is NO WAY you are old enough to have two boys in college. What, you had them when you were 10 or something?!

... milk. The next, replace a serving of something you need less of with a fruit or veggie. The next, halve the amount of sugar you use. Use substitutes or not, as you will. Anyway, for me, changes were much more sustainable if I implemented them one at a time.

2. Get consistent with training; follow a training program. So much easier when you know exactly what to do that day and you just do it. It will also help regulate your metabolism and sleep, both of which are important components in weight loss (Lynn ... no laughing at me!)

2011-12-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3952607

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2011-12-25 2:47 AM

2012 Races planned
*Charleston HM Jan

Welcome, welcome. Have you a name? Ah Kiawah ... definitely on my to-do list as well!

I'm really thrilled so many of our Manatees do sport for charity.

2011-12-25 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Merry Christmas to you all, hope you have great fun where ever you are and whatever you're doing.  
2011-12-25 7:30 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Sorry my real name is Kirk.  I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season, my wife set me up for a fitting on my road bike as my gift today awesome!! 

Keye how'd your last tri go you signed up for one in Oct correct?

2011-12-25 9:50 AM

Leesburg, VA
This seems like such a happy place!  Count me in!!  ** Going back to read entire thread now **
2011-12-25 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

A merry Manatee Christmas to all!

Yes, I do just happen to have this ornament on my tree!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69