BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-21 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - OPEN

So, this 14, excluding Ken.

Just checkin, in case I need to get in under the wire!!

Undecided

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-12-21 7:15 PM

2011-12-21 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3948384

New user

Tim, I would look into the paleo diet for Athletes, it's really worked well for me. I'm still losing weight but getting plenty of fuel for my workouts. How you eat is broken up into 5 stages.Stage 1 is eating before the workout, stage 2 eating during(if longer than one and a half hours), stage 3 (30min post workout), stage 4 (recovery meal time), stage 5 rest of the day. You get almost all you carbs in the time before, during & a few hours post workout (stage1to4) and stage five is lean protein, fruits & veggies. I hope this helps! Cheers.  
2011-12-21 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3948811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

[email protected] - 2011-12-21 5:30 PM Tim, I would look into the paleo diet for Athletes, it's really worked well for me. I'm still losing weight but getting plenty of fuel for my workouts. How you eat is broken up into 5 stages.Stage 1 is eating before the workout, stage 2 eating during(if longer than one and a half hours), stage 3 (30min post workout), stage 4 (recovery meal time), stage 5 rest of the day. You get almost all you carbs in the time before, during & a few hours post workout (stage1to4) and stage five is lean protein, fruits & veggies. I hope this helps! Cheers.  

Where did you get your Paleo info.  A friend is doing it - even using fresh goat's milk.   It sounds like high protein low carbs from what he describes.  I did great on those kinds of diets at first but had to add carbs to fuel the workouts. 

2011-12-21 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Name: Marla

STORY:  I'm 49, self-employed psychologist & crazy busy so struggling to figure out the balance thing. Raised in NC, spent most of my adult life in Atlanta, and moved up here 5 years ago. 1 daughter, at the age where we're reminded daily why some species eat their young. Why G-d cursed parents to lump early adolescence, braces, and Bar/Bat Mitzvah prep all into the same 7th grade year is beyond me.Thank goodness I can run away to the gym!

When I remarried 3 1/2 years ago I weighed 215# and was pretty unhealthy.... when daughter announced on her 10th bday she was going vegan, I decided to go Jenny Craig, bought wii fit, and ultimately lost 70 pounds. To celebrate getting back to fitness, got a crazy idea to try a triathlon, Iron Girl. By the time I took the plunge to register, it was full, but I hooked up with a charity team, Team Fight, with the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. I'd spent about 15+ years volunteering with a camp for kids with cancer in Atlanta before moving up here, and it was a great fit for me. Love my teammates, love the cause, and love the idea of racing for something bigger than me. Had knee surgeries on both knees first - now at my 2 year anniversary - and last year thought i was hitting my stride then I sprained an ankle, then tore a hip muscle, and am finally getting strong in a balanced sort of way, thanks to finding PT's that are helping me to do things right.

Just started running spring 2010, and still don't like it, but love the bike & I've always been a swimmer. 2010 did a couple of tri's and some running stuff, and ended my season getting swimming induced pulmonary edema in a swim. always some drama! 2011 figured out how to beat that, but also gained back 25 pounds when pretty inactive, and i'm still slower on the run than i was a year ago, dammit.

FAMILY STATUS: remarried 3 years to a guy who loves to take pics at races, 2 dogs, + almost-13-year-old daughter who really is great most of the time, and volunteers with UCF, in addition to volunteer work with our dog as a therapy dog team.

Current Training: there's the plan, and then there's reality. I rely on local road runner club groups to keep me honest & on a schedule for running, so that resumes mid-january. now aiming to run 3 days/week, total mileage around 14, if it doesn't rain, i don't need emergency dental work, toilets don't overflow, etc. love to swim, wish could do it 2-3 days/week, realistically just getting it in now once or twice. spin class twice/week, and need to do more strength stuff - aim for 1-3 times/week, most weeks just once.

2011 races: all in my logs - will open those up. started/ended with oly races, a couple of sprints in the middle, and some runs.

2012 races: daughter's bat mitzvah 3/31 (yep, also requires endurance training), then my 1st half mar (inaugural Iron Girl 1/2 mar) in April, Columbia Triathlon (oly) in May. Celebration Sprint & Iron Girl (2 sprints June & Aug), Peachtree RR in Atlanta July 4th. 24 Hours of Booty in August. Probably more running stuff. Most psyched that my 1st HIM will be my 50th bday weekend & the Ulman Cancer Fund's Half-Full Triathlon - can't think of a more perfect way to celebrate a milestone bday than by celebrating health & survivorship and kicking cancer's @ss.

Weight stuff: don't want those 25 pounds back so looking to lose them again. tried paleo, and weight creeped up. hmmmmm. yeah, i know, need to keep a log of what & how much & when. thought about going back to jenny, but not enough protein to keep me full while training intensely.

Speaking of weight, need to go fry up more yummy but unhealthy latkes. Happy holidays!

2011-12-21 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
shake-n-bake - 2011-12-21 3:19 PM NAME: shake-n-bake/Tim

STORY:  I'm 40 years old and I got this wild hair that I wanted to do triathlons..After starting my training in Nov.  2009  I ended up having knee surgery in February 2010 as soon as the doctor released me I was back in the pool and on a stationary bike..I have no background of swimming,cycling or running but I just continue to push myself and followed the beginner Olympic plan.. After being release to run in May I competed my first Olympic Tri in June with a time of 2:53:00..I ended up completing seven events in 2010, with setting PR's along the way. I went back to site of my first race in 2011 to shatter that time and finsh in 2:41:00..Going back again in 2012 to try and improve on this..

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a great supporting/loving spouse with two kids.. One girl 16 and a boy 7...Without their support know of this would be possible..

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now kinda in a maintenance stage, have been really working on my run base by running in a low heart rate zone..Been averaging 6 runs per week until week of 12/20 having some discomfort in left foot..Will be hitting the pool again in Jan. 2012

2010 RACES:
5 Olympics and 2 Sprints check out my race logs if interested..

2011 RACES:   Peachtree International Tri(May), West Point Olympic(June), Chattanooga Waterfront(July),Chattahoochee Sprint(July), Peachtree Tri Sprint(August) Augusta 70.3(September) Several 5k and 10k completed..Also did the Soldiers Half Marathon in November..Set a personal best in 5k and 10k races..Completed my first HIM which was awesome..All my tri races are in my race log if you are interested..

2012 RACES/PLANS: 1/29 Half Marathon. 4/29 West Point Olympic, (May) Peachtree International Tri or a 70.3 event, (June)Chattahoochee Sprint, Callaway Sprint, (July) Chattanooga Waterfront?? (August) Peachtree Tri Sprint, (September) Augusta 70.3..

July and August nothing in stone yet because I'm still debating on signing up for Ironman Louisville...If I do I will use these months for training and no races..

Volunteer for Florida Ironman so I can get a spot for 2013...All slots sold out fast this year. Looking forward to meeting Ken..

WEIGHTLOSS: I have the hardest time shedding weight, so if anyone has advice it will be greatly appreciated..Currently 185 would like to drop 20 pounds if possible to be lighter for my races.. Just haven't found what works for my body..On weight loss this continues to be a struggle for me I lost no weight in 2011 so I need some help with this...I log my food daily with My Fitness Pal..Thinking of seeing a sports nutritionist in 2012..

GOALS: To improve my run times, to have fun , meet new people , to help others and try to stay injury free..A Podium finish would be nice also..

I only have two years experience but I will be glad to give any advice that I can..Happy to be a men-tee again with Ken and this great group you were all an inspiration in 2011...

Tim, where in GA are you?

2011-12-21 6:37 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-12-21 3:19 PM NAME: shake-n-bake/Tim

STORY:  I'm 40 years old and I got this wild hair that I wanted to do triathlons..After starting my training in Nov.  2009  I ended up having knee surgery in February 2010 as soon as the doctor released me I was back in the pool and on a stationary bike..I have no background of swimming,cycling or running but I just continue to push myself and followed the beginner Olympic plan.. After being release to run in May I competed my first Olympic Tri in June with a time of 2:53:00..I ended up completing seven events in 2010, with setting PR's along the way. I went back to site of my first race in 2011 to shatter that time and finsh in 2:41:00..Going back again in 2012 to try and improve on this..

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a great supporting/loving spouse with two kids.. One girl 16 and a boy 7...Without their support know of this would be possible..

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now kinda in a maintenance stage, have been really working on my run base by running in a low heart rate zone..Been averaging 6 runs per week until week of 12/20 having some discomfort in left foot..Will be hitting the pool again in Jan. 2012

2010 RACES:
5 Olympics and 2 Sprints check out my race logs if interested..

2011 RACES:   Peachtree International Tri(May), West Point Olympic(June), Chattanooga Waterfront(July),Chattahoochee Sprint(July), Peachtree Tri Sprint(August) Augusta 70.3(September) Several 5k and 10k completed..Also did the Soldiers Half Marathon in November..Set a personal best in 5k and 10k races..Completed my first HIM which was awesome..All my tri races are in my race log if you are interested..

2012 RACES/PLANS: 1/29 Half Marathon. 4/29 West Point Olympic, (May) Peachtree International Tri or a 70.3 event, (June)Chattahoochee Sprint, Callaway Sprint, (July) Chattanooga Waterfront?? (August) Peachtree Tri Sprint, (September) Augusta 70.3..

July and August nothing in stone yet because I'm still debating on signing up for Ironman Louisville...If I do I will use these months for training and no races..

Volunteer for Florida Ironman so I can get a spot for 2013...All slots sold out fast this year. Looking forward to meeting Ken..

WEIGHTLOSS: I have the hardest time shedding weight, so if anyone has advice it will be greatly appreciated..Currently 185 would like to drop 20 pounds if possible to be lighter for my races.. Just haven't found what works for my body..On weight loss this continues to be a struggle for me I lost no weight in 2011 so I need some help with this...I log my food daily with My Fitness Pal..Thinking of seeing a sports nutritionist in 2012..

GOALS: To improve my run times, to have fun , meet new people , to help others and try to stay injury free..A Podium finish would be nice also..

I only have two years experience but I will be glad to give any advice that I can..Happy to be a men-tee again with Ken and this great group you were all an inspiration in 2011...

Looking forward to meeting you as well!  Looks like a great plan for the season Tim!!

2011-12-21 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3948779

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-12-21 5:58 PM

So, this 14, excluding Ken.

Just checkin, in case I need to get bin under the wire!!

Undecided

You get a waiver Richard! As a former member of the group you can sign in as you please Smile

2011-12-21 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3948853

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
MarlaS - 2011-12-21 7:34 PM Name: Marla

STORY:  I'm 49, self-employed psychologist & crazy busy so struggling to figure out the balance thing. Raised in NC, spent most of my adult life in Atlanta, and moved up here 5 years ago. 1 daughter, at the age where we're reminded daily why some species eat their young. Why G-d cursed parents to lump early adolescence, braces, and Bar/Bat Mitzvah prep all into the same 7th grade year is beyond me.Thank goodness I can run away to the gym!

When I remarried 3 1/2 years ago I weighed 215# and was pretty unhealthy.... when daughter announced on her 10th bday she was going vegan, I decided to go Jenny Craig, bought wii fit, and ultimately lost 70 pounds. To celebrate getting back to fitness, got a crazy idea to try a triathlon, Iron Girl. By the time I took the plunge to register, it was full, but I hooked up with a charity team, Team Fight, with the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. I'd spent about 15+ years volunteering with a camp for kids with cancer in Atlanta before moving up here, and it was a great fit for me. Love my teammates, love the cause, and love the idea of racing for something bigger than me. Had knee surgeries on both knees first - now at my 2 year anniversary - and last year thought i was hitting my stride then I sprained an ankle, then tore a hip muscle, and am finally getting strong in a balanced sort of way, thanks to finding PT's that are helping me to do things right.

Just started running spring 2010, and still don't like it, but love the bike & I've always been a swimmer. 2010 did a couple of tri's and some running stuff, and ended my season getting swimming induced pulmonary edema in a swim. always some drama! 2011 figured out how to beat that, but also gained back 25 pounds when pretty inactive, and i'm still slower on the run than i was a year ago, dammit.

FAMILY STATUS: remarried 3 years to a guy who loves to take pics at races, 2 dogs, + almost-13-year-old daughter who really is great most of the time, and volunteers with UCF, in addition to volunteer work with our dog as a therapy dog team.

Current Training: there's the plan, and then there's reality. I rely on local road runner club groups to keep me honest & on a schedule for running, so that resumes mid-january. now aiming to run 3 days/week, total mileage around 14, if it doesn't rain, i don't need emergency dental work, toilets don't overflow, etc. love to swim, wish could do it 2-3 days/week, realistically just getting it in now once or twice. spin class twice/week, and need to do more strength stuff - aim for 1-3 times/week, most weeks just once.

2011 races: all in my logs - will open those up. started/ended with oly races, a couple of sprints in the middle, and some runs.

2012 races: daughter's bat mitzvah 3/31 (yep, also requires endurance training), then my 1st half mar (inaugural Iron Girl 1/2 mar) in April, Columbia Triathlon (oly) in May. Celebration Sprint & Iron Girl (2 sprints June & Aug), Peachtree RR in Atlanta July 4th. 24 Hours of Booty in August. Probably more running stuff. Most psyched that my 1st HIM will be my 50th bday weekend & the Ulman Cancer Fund's Half-Full Triathlon - can't think of a more perfect way to celebrate a milestone bday than by celebrating health & survivorship and kicking cancer's @ss.

Weight stuff: don't want those 25 pounds back so looking to lose them again. tried paleo, and weight creeped up. hmmmmm. yeah, i know, need to keep a log of what & how much & when. thought about going back to jenny, but not enough protein to keep me full while training intensely.

Speaking of weight, need to go fry up more yummy but unhealthy latkes. Happy holidays!

Being a psychologist in DC, I can understand why you are busy! Wink Great job on the weight loss!  It sounds like you are motivated to suceed which is 90% of the battle!  Welcome to the group Marla!

2011-12-21 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3948676

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-12-21 5:10 PM

Happy Winter Solstice!!! Never paid much attention until we moved north.  It is a big deal here as a time of reflection and also looking toward the future. sunrise 10:14 and sunset at 3:43 Total of 5:28! max sun inclination at 5 1/2 degrees. looking forward to eventually seing the sun above the mountains again!

spin class finished for the day - check!

I don't know how you deal with that Robin!  I would go stir crazy!!

Nice that you got the spin in!

2011-12-21 7:33 PM

User image

I know that it can get expensive doing Tri's,but would like to get a list from ya'll what is the basics in clothes,bike equipment,,etc.
2011-12-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3947274

Ken-yes, I have access to a pool.  I've been swimming with a kickboard for the last couple weeks.  I need to figure out how to get my breathing down.  Psyched to be in the group!

PM

2011-12-21 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3948921

User image

Expert
Canada

Tallyho - 2011-12-21 9:33 PM I know that it can get expensive doing Tri's,but would like to get a list from ya'll what is the basics in clothes,bike equipment,,etc.

You are correct, tri's can be very expensive, but you can do relatively cheaply.  Problem is, that it becomes addictive.

If you have never done a tri & are "test driving", all you need is a pair of good running shoes, a bike & access to a pool & desire.

It goes up from there...budget & aspirations determine the rest...

Foot in mouth

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-12-21 7:53 PM
2011-12-21 8:02 PM

New user
Walterboro
Got room for one more?
2011-12-21 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3948841

New user

Iceman

The book is called The Paleo Diet for Athletes, by Loren Cordain, PhD & Joel Friel, it's awesome! A great read and it has worked well for me.

2011-12-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3948950

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wesley12 - 2011-12-21 9:02 PM Got room for one more?

Sure! Post a bio when you can!

2011-12-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3948988

User image

Expert

I am interested in other Paleo Experiences. I read The Paleo Experience by Robb Wolf and I plan to really immerse myself after next week. Christmas with my family is impossible. I need to stress eat and drink   Many of my Crossfit friends eat Paleo and have a ton of energy. I would be careful in the belief that it is a meat/cheese Atkins type thing. Its focus is on protein and vegetables. I am insulin sensitive and going in the front door of a bakery causes me to gain ten pounds. I also do a fair amount of heavier lifting and I intend to continue with this even as I get back to the S/B/R. So if your "going paleo" lets hear about it.

Kirk

2011-12-21 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3948994

New user

gator22 - 2011-12-21 7:39 PM

I am interested in other Paleo Experiences. I read The Paleo Experience by Robb Wolf and I plan to really immerse myself after next week. Christmas with my family is impossible. I need to stress eat and drink   Many of my Crossfit friends eat Paleo and have a ton of energy. I would be careful in the belief that it is a meat/cheese Atkins type thing. Its focus is on protein and vegetables. I am insulin sensitive and going in the front door of a bakery causes me to gain ten pounds. I also do a fair amount of heavier lifting and I intend to continue with this even as I get back to the S/B/R. So if your "going paleo" lets hear about it.

Kirk

Kirk, the type of protein consumed is huge in a paleo diet it has to be very lean. Turkey, fish(wild) & Wild game like elk & venison are best, also grass fed beef. Timing like Iceman is talking about, Juice, Oatmeal, dried fruit, Sweet Potatoes, etc. a few hours before your workout and right after. Then only lean protein, fruits and veggies. I eat bread, pasta & cheese once a week at the most but I'm still trying to lose 10 more pounds.   
2011-12-21 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I don't know if I could do the paleo diet and definately not the atkins - I love carbs way to much.  I have found that logging every bite helps me as most of my calorie intake comes from snacking... oh yeah and beer. I plan on starting to log again after the new year to drop the 15 pounds I have gained since July - will definately need some encouragement then!
2011-12-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3949018

New user

robingray_260 - 2011-12-21 7:52 PM I don't know if I could do the paleo diet and definately not the atkins - I love carbs way to much.  I have found that logging every bite helps me as most of my calorie intake comes from snacking... oh yeah and beer. I plan on starting to log again after the new year to drop the 15 pounds I have gained since July - will definately need some encouragement then!

I forgot you live in AK, I think moose is on the training table for you! I have spent some time in Cordova and love that state, crazy big is right. Beer is always on my diet, one very cold one @ the end of a great ride!

2011-12-21 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3949038

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

another thing we have that is great for you  is salmon and caribou - people we meet try to give it away to us, not for me to say no!

2011-12-21 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3949052

New user

Right On!!

2011-12-21 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3948979

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
[email protected] - 2011-12-21 8:27 PM

Iceman

The book is called The Paleo Diet for Athletes, by Loren Cordain, PhD & Joel Friel, it's awesome! A great read and it has worked well for me.

Thanks, it's on the way.  I managed to avoid the post-IronMan weight gain that I'd been warned about and I'm using a BodyBugg to track cals, but I'm very interested in seeing how to alter calories and the timing of eating to 1. have energy for exercise and 2. shave a few pounds to be lighter on the bike and run. It's all about fine tuning and learning. 

2011-12-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3949071

User image

Veteran
Avondale
[email protected] - 2011-12-21 7:38 PMRight On!!
Roman, are you in the Phoenix area?
2011-12-21 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3948921

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Tallyho - 2011-12-21 7:33 PM I know that it can get expensive doing Tri's,but would like to get a list from ya'll what is the basics in clothes,bike equipment,,etc.

How simple do you want it? 

1. Wetsuit  (edit:  Forgot goggles)

2. Bike, shoes, helmet, tri top and tri shorts, socks, water bottles.

3. Good shoes. Don't scrimp and change every 300 miles or so to avoid injury.  

After that, you choose. I saw a Giant tri bike, a good entry level on sale today at the LBS for $850.  Regularly over $1,000.  Now is the time to get a bike if you can.  Good deals out there.  You can spend as much on a new bike as you want.  I built mine up from a great used Orbea Ordu frame and adequate components at first and then added new very good components until it is a really good bike for about half what it would have cost me if I ordered it.Most of it now is SRAM RED with Zipp return to center shifters.

I've got two wet suits, one long sleeve, one short.  Got both on sale at great prices.  I don't think I have $400 in both. 

I have collected a closet full of tri tops, cycling tops, running tops just from taking part in races and buying on sale. Bike shorts are pricey for ones that will make my butt suffer less.  Also I've put some money in the new fangled stuff to combat heat because I am a furnace. 

I have two really good road bikes, one I bought on sale and the other I built up from a great titanium frame.  I have a commuter bike and a good mountain bike and a used hybrid Trek I ride for cyclocross.  But I've collected this stuff over several years and took classes on bike building to keep costs down.

I bought a treadmill last winter to save the cross-town ride to the gym and to encourage my wife to work out a little.  I also have a Computrainer, which is a computer linked bike trainer that does all sorts of good things.  You don't NEED either one.  They've helped me a lot.

When people ask how much I have invested in bikes and equipment, I say I have a hell of a lot less invested in triathlon that the first ambulance ride and 24 hours in ICU with a heart attack. They usually see the point.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by IceManScott 2011-12-21 10:50 PM
2011-12-21 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3949014

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
[email protected] - 2011-12-21 6:51 PM
gator22 - 2011-12-21 7:39 PM

Kirk

Kirk, the type of protein consumed is huge in a paleo diet it has to be very lean. Turkey, fish(wild) & Wild game like elk & venison are best, also grass fed beef. Timing like Iceman is talking about, Juice, Oatmeal, dried fruit, Sweet Potatoes, etc. a few hours before your workout and right after. Then only lean protein, fruits and veggies. I eat bread, pasta & cheese once a week at the most but I'm still trying to lose 10 more pounds.   

Thanks for the tips on the Paleo diet! It sounds like something that might work well for me too.

I started the Primal Blueprint diet immediately after Thanksgiving, but I couldn't stick with it for very long. Basically, the carbs were coming strictly from fruits and veggies -- no grain products or potatoes are allowed. I was listless for most of my workouts, so I had to make some compromises. I'm still keeping with the basic plan -- lean meat, wild fish, lots of fruits, veggies, and nuts, and protein, protein, protein. But lately I've been eating a Cliff bar before my workouts and that's helped my energy level tremendously. My weight has slowly been peeling off too -- I finally dropped below 175 this morning (174.9)...

- Steve

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72