BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-05 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4133236

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group---Phase 2...Open for business!
thor67 - 2012-04-06 6:13 AM
Qua17 - 2012-04-05 4:31 PM

Today I hit the pool determined to make the most out of my last swim before my rest week.  I was scheduled to go 2300 but I pushed it and clocked 2500 in 1:01.  A big improvement from where I was 4 months ago but I've made it a goal to drop 10 seconds per 100 from my time before my first tri in May.  

My question for the group is - how can I do that?  I've started to do intervals and that's helped a bit but I still need to get quicker.  

Thoughts?

Is there a masters swim club where you live? That may be your best bet just to learn proper technique etc. Otherwise, drills and intervals and counting a lot of tiles on the bottom of the pool. 

Hold it I have a better idea, no beer until you drop the ten seconds...haha, you will get there in no time!

This is some form of sick, cruel, and unusual punishment!Laughing

2012-04-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4133249

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group---Phase 2...Open for business!

I was just there 2 weeks ago and they didn't have the banff to canmore trail cleared of the snow! However the trail in canmore from the first exit to the gates on the north side of the road was clear with some big water puddles, I had to be creative running along there to try and stay dry.....Hopefully it will have melted enough now!!...(i was really surprised they didn't clear the snow off, being a new path!!). I love the mountains, one of the reasons I moved to Calgary....I love going there in the summer and running that path...My hubby and little one usually join me with the bike and the chariot. They are my waterholders! lol I love family training.

2012-04-05 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4124591

User image

Got room for one more?  I really need to get back on track... last month was a wash.

Name: Melinda/Mindy (I also get called Melissa often)

Story: Finished a master's in Sport Psyc last fall, but currently switching careers to marine science and *hopefully* going back to school in the fall (working on Plan C here).  I was a swimmer though college, my main events being distance freestyle, 100/200fly, and the 200 back.  I just started training with a Master's team again and I'm coaching swimming (so if anyone needs advice leave me a message or ask and I'll get back as quickly as I can).

Training: Well last month there wasn't much of anything going on.  I need to increase my bike distance and start running again (this is my weakest and hardest event for me).  I've had 2 knee surgeries, so I tend to be overly cautious.

Upcoming events:  Haven't signed up for any yet.  Plan on completing a sprint or oly by the end of the year.  I would also like to be able to complete a 5K before July.

Weight loss: Goal is to lose another 20-25 pounds.  I have taken off 20 pounds since Sept last year, but have stagnated a little.  Current weight 198 and not budging (which also means it's not going up!)

2012-04-05 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

NAME: Cynthia

STORY: In the summer of 2010 I was watching reruns of the World Championships in Kona; for the third time that summer Sister Modonna was running across my t.v. screen, but this time she stopped and looked at me and asked, "Why not you?"  So I threw down the chips I was eating and decided I would do a triathlon.  Thank Gwad for sprint tris!  I hated running, did not know how to swim and did not own a bike until a month before my first local tri.  Since then I have done several sprints and one OLY. I did not train well and was way in over my head on my OLY and came in dead last.  Not going to happen this year, I may be second to last but not last.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 3 daughters all out of the house and one punk and a half of a grandson (3yrs).

CURRENT TRAINING: I am doing the HIM training plan in an effort to do better on my OLY. I started it a about three months a go and just re-set my plan to complete on my OLY in San Diego.

2012 plans: Several 5Ks early in the season.  My first tri is the Napa Valley Sprint in May, Dustdevil in Aug and the TriRock San Diego in Sept. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes paaaleeessee.  I need to lose about 20lbs.  I do not manage my diet well though its not hideous I am not losing.  However, I did lose about 70lbs prior to starting triathloning and though I have not lost a pound in the past two years but did go down two sizes. 

I was previously in a mentor group with MINDY,THOR and KEViN....THOR is very positive with great feedback, Kevin is a friggin' rockstar at the run and Mindy can swim forever!

Looking forward to a great Spring start.  I was going crazy the past two weeks juggling three jobs, one was mine, the second was offered to me and I had to start the training and the third was one I applied for and really wanted; got the news yesterday, outta 85 ppl I got the job! Woot woot! Dropped the other offered job like a hot potato and last night I finally slept like a baby for the first time in two weeks!

Edited by SportzVision 2012-04-05 10:02 PM
2012-04-05 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4130769

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
mndymond - 2012-04-04 7:01 PM
boxerdogfriend - 2012-04-04 5:54 PM

Thank you in advance for all of you being patient with my newbie-ness!

Today I went ahead and registered for a 5K each month in April, May, and June, and a 5-miler in July. I saw (online) all of these awesome events I could do (I'm quite interested in the long trail running/hiking events, as well as the adventure-type triathlons with canoeing/kayaking) and it made me excited to think I could get there someday. I mean... that I WILL get there someday!

Punker, right now I have a similar approach to yours (just do the distance!), minus the swim until the pools open. That is really going to be an issue for me, since I've never been a swimmer - but until then I'm just going to work on improving on the bike and feet. Mentors, do you think this an ok approach for now? I am off for Easter break until Tuesday, so the plan for tomorrow morning is to ride my bike to a trail, hike the trail, and ride back. It will wind up being about 16 miles on the bike and 2 or so on the trail. I think this route will be a good one for me to do fairly regularly. I'm not going to worry about my time tomorrow, except to measure it for marking progress.

I don't live in Canada, but both of my grandparents are from Quebec, so maybe I can still be a cool kid here? Laughing

Aww...ok I'll let you in. haha. This isn't a Canadians only group (Neal is American...from Iowa) haha. I like to see my fellow Canadians jumping in here though! Haha. Welcome to the group!

Oh my...I only live as far north as Northern Nevada but am a So Cal girl at heart...can I still be in? I already did my bio and everyting?!

2012-04-05 11:04 PM

User image

Champion
Hey guys! Everyone up to this point is in! (regardless of your area of origin ) Neal and I are excited to have everyone in the group!

2012-04-05 11:37 PM
in reply to: #4131752

User image

Expert
Salem
Punker - 2012-04-05 8:06 AM
Just my 2 cents but I would plan my first triathlon to be a pool swim.

A)Apparently Lake summerside is just a tad warmer then a ice cube. You will need a wetsuit and you will probably still come out numb.

B)It can be very intimidating swimming in a lake during a mass start.

To me, this was one of the x factors - how different it will be in a crowded lake with people and waves and wake everywhere as opposed to the pool where I have my own lane in calm water. Does anyone know about how many people would be expected in the sprint+tri portion of this event (it seems to use a staggered start so it shouldn't be too bad)?

I prefer to swim in Open Water rather than a pool swim for a race.  I have this funky scissor kick when swimming without a pull bouy (simulate have a wetsuit on and less use of a leg kick) and it really messes up my timing when I have to swim in the same lane with a whole bunch of other people.  The pool tri's I have participated in had about 5 or 6 people per lane and we left on 5 sec intervals.  Lane assignment based on sent in time.

2012-04-06 3:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED!
I like OWS too! I love putting my head down and just swimming without having to count. We have a local weekly OWS plus 5k that I'm hoping to try this summer. I grew up swimming in lakes. I have a huge problem with boredom in the pool. I really think it's what limits my swims.
2012-04-06 9:12 AM

User image

I have a friend who is very experienced with triathlons advising me to get a Garmin 310. They're kind of expensive! - but my tax return money is coming soon! I've looked into it and it seems like a really awesome gadget. Part of me is thinking that it's more for experienced athletes, and part of me thinks that since I am new to this I should have the best information possible. I know I should get at least a heart rate monitor anyway...

Thoughts? Experiences?

I am also enjoying some teacher-time-off right now. Yesterday I did a three-hour adventure of biking and hiking. Today I'm gardening (yaaaaaayy rabbit manure :p ), watching the nephews, and planning to go for a run. My back/hip is kind of sore and I'm trying to decide if it's a "just suck it up and deal with it" kind of sore, or a "chill out a bit" kind of sore. I will go 5 miles, alternating running and walking.

2012-04-06 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Got out this morning to 11.5 miler.  hit it at 8:16/mi pace.  Heel and tendon held up well with minimal heal pain at beginning which moved to the tendon towards the third mile.  by 5 miles or so, I couldn't feel it.  I tried to push the pace towards 8:00 miles, but it wasn't happening today.

Good to see the familiar faces from my winter group, and looking forward to getting to know the rest of you from this group.

2012-04-06 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Mornin everyone! I'll do a better run through of everyone when I get home at the end of the weekend from the US. Neal and I are doing the Hollywood Half marathon tomorrow morning. Should be interesting. We are going to the race expo and possibly universal studios today! Enjoy your long weekend everyone!

2012-04-06 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck to the two of you! I hope you have a great race.Does anyone have any tips for cycling workouts? With having to take a month off running I'd really like to boost my cycling. I usually just get on and ride and I need a higher intensity to make up for my missing runs.
2012-04-07 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4134291

User image

Expert

Moonrocket - 2012-04-06 12:52 PM Good luck to the two of you! I hope you have a great race.Does anyone have any tips for cycling workouts? With having to take a month off running I'd really like to boost my cycling. I usually just get on and ride and I need a higher intensity to make up for my missing runs.

Here's an idea I was thinking of trying next week to improve my leg strengths and improve my abilities to handle hills.  Here is my plan:

1) Ride to a moderately steep hill that's fairly long to warm up - 1/4-1/2 mile
2) Ride up the hill in your lowest gear and record how long it took you
3) Ride down the hill as a recovery
4) Go up a gear and do the hill again trying to beat the time by a small margin
5) Repeat with the goal of improving your time each time you go up the hill.  
6) Recover by going back down the gears each time trying to take more time 

Let me know what you think... I plan on doing this on Wednesday

2012-04-07 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4134185

User image

Expert

mndymond - 2012-04-06 12:00 PM Mornin everyone! I'll do a better run through of everyone when I get home at the end of the weekend from the US. Neal and I are doing the Hollywood Half marathon tomorrow morning. Should be interesting. We are going to the race expo and possibly universal studios today! Enjoy your long weekend everyone!

I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy the race and the expo!  I look forward to hearing about it when you get back!

2012-04-07 7:06 AM

User image

Expert

Hopped on the scale today and lost less than my goal.  Not sure why since I worked out more this week that I've ever done in the past.  Still making progress and on pace to reach my goal of 184 by June 23.

I'm gonna head out for my longest ride of the year this afternoon.  Hoping to do 40 on my new bike... My reward - getting to celebrate with two beers I've never tried before.  I'll report on the ride and more importantly the beer later.  

What's everyone doing this weekend!

2012-04-07 8:07 AM

User image

I thought I had posted last night, but it seems to have ended up in oblivion!

I meant to swim after I coached last night, but I ended up playing soccer (our cross training) with the team.  They kicked my butt!  I am definitely feeling it this morning.  

Going to play 18 holes with my dad for his birthday so nothing planned for today.  Most likely will get a walk/run in tomorrow before family comes over.

2012-04-07 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Beautiful day in Salem, OR. Off for a 12 miler this am with a running group. Golf sounds a whole heck of a great way to enjoy the day. Nice way to spend the day with your father.
2012-04-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4135272

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2012-04-07 5:06 PM

Hopped on the scale today and lost less than my goal.  Not sure why since I worked out more this week that I've ever done in the past.  Still making progress and on pace to reach my goal of 184 by June 23.

I'm gonna head out for my longest ride of the year this afternoon.  Hoping to do 40 on my new bike... My reward - getting to celebrate with two beers I've never tried before.  I'll report on the ride and more importantly the beer later.  

What's everyone doing this weekend!

At that rate, you'll be passing me in weight soon.  Congratulations on your losing the weight.  40 miles is a long ride.  Hope it goes well.

I think the hill ride sounds like a great way to build strength on the bike.  I could not do the gear thing well on my current set up as I have only 10 gears, but could stay in same gear, and try and better time each time up.

Enjoy the beverages, You've earned them.

2012-04-07 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Question.  It's my scheduled rest day.  On Saturdays, my wife goes to WW meeting and works out at gym.  I stay home and watch the kids.  On Sunday I get my long run in.  This week I have a 21 miler planned.  My legs are more sore than usual.  IDK if it's from standing all day fishing on Thursday or my run yesterday.  My question is this.  I'm training a HIM plan on this site and it calls for a long ride that I've conveniently missed due to weather for too many weeks.  I am currently on last part of building for marathon in May, and have sacrificed so much on the bike to get longer runs in.  Would I be overkilling it if I hit a ride today, then went out for long run tomorrow, given my legs are a little wobbly as is?  My HIM is in August, and I had originally planned on picking up riding volume immensely after May marathon, but I feel as though I'm missing key elements of the plan by not getting the rides in consistently.
2012-04-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4135421

User image

Expert

Hey Kevin - Thanks for the encouragement about the LBs... The support I've gotten from you and others have played a huge role in it... so thanks!

As far as your question - having never run an HIM, I don't really have an answer.  However, I was just reading an article in either the February or March issue of Triathlete about how bad running on tired legs is in terms of possible injury.

Here's my suggestion - only because I know the problems you've been having with your foot (and now your achilles) - I would go for the ride and skip the run.  You'll get the cardio and seat time you need while giving your feet and leg muscles (those you are using to run) a well deserved break.

2012-04-07 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4135532

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2012-04-07 9:48 PM

Hey Kevin - Thanks for the encouragement about the LBs... The support I've gotten from you and others have played a huge role in it... so thanks!

As far as your question - having never run an HIM, I don't really have an answer.  However, I was just reading an article in either the February or March issue of Triathlete about how bad running on tired legs is in terms of possible injury.

Here's my suggestion - only because I know the problems you've been having with your foot (and now your achilles) - I would go for the ride and skip the run.  You'll get the cardio and seat time you need while giving your feet and leg muscles (those you are using to run) a well deserved break.

Thanks for the advice David.  Absolutely what I did not want to hear, but that's why it's probably sound advice.  I have 6 weeks until marathon.  I have 3 more opportunities at a long run.  Marathon's can be made or broken in the last 6 miles or so.  I could tone this weeks long run back and hit 2 the following weeks in time for a nice taper.  Interesting thought.  Maybe I'll ride tommorow and run off of the bike for a brief stint.

2012-04-07 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4135421

User image

Expert
Salem

kevinbe - 2012-04-07 7:51 AM Question.  It's my scheduled rest day.  On Saturdays, my wife goes to WW meeting and works out at gym.  I stay home and watch the kids.  On Sunday I get my long run in.  This week I have a 21 miler planned.  My legs are more sore than usual.  IDK if it's from standing all day fishing on Thursday or my run yesterday.  My question is this.  I'm training a HIM plan on this site and it calls for a long ride that I've conveniently missed due to weather for too many weeks.  I am currently on last part of building for marathon in May, and have sacrificed so much on the bike to get longer runs in.  Would I be overkilling it if I hit a ride today, then went out for long run tomorrow, given my legs are a little wobbly as is?  My HIM is in August, and I had originally planned on picking up riding volume immensely after May marathon, but I feel as though I'm missing key elements of the plan by not getting the rides in consistently.

Thought I'd chime in.  I have done 1 HIM and it was a very hilly bike.  I believe I was adequately prepared for the run portion having run a 9:00 min mile pace Half Marathon that winter.  I was shooting for a 10 min. mile pace for the HIM run leg.  I did what I expected to do on the bike 3 hrs. 30 min.  However, if I was more prepared for the bike (longer rides and more time in the saddle) my run would have been so much better; I suffered a lot on the run (about 19 min. over my planned time).  Also given your current leg tiredness/achilles I'd go with the bike for distance not power or time.  My .02 cents.

2012-04-07 4:32 PM

New user

I just got back from by first group ride. Somehow they convinced me to do the long ride rather then the short one. We finished 72 km in 2:50. I guess I didn't know what I was getting into, the longest ride I have ever done was 21 km. It was an awesome ride but I am dead. I guess tomorrow is going to be a rest day

2012-04-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4135752

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
exercisegirl6 - 2012-04-08 2:32 AM

I just got back from by first group ride. Somehow they convinced me to do the long ride rather then the short one. We finished 72 km in 2:50. I guess I didn't know what I was getting into, the longest ride I have ever done was 21 km. It was an awesome ride but I am dead. I guess tomorrow is going to be a rest day

WOW!  You've earned it.

2012-04-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4135752

User image

Expert
exercisegirl6 - 2012-04-07 4:32 PM

Outstanding!  The person who conned you into doing the long ride must have known you could do it!  Enjoy a well-deserved day off

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 45