BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-04-24 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4129044

Winnemucca
Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN

Hello, I just realized that I had already been accepted into another mentor group so I will not be joining this group. Thank you just the same.

Justin Wilson

2012-04-25 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4171094

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN
triathletetraining30 - 2012-04-24 10:02 PM

Hello, I just realized that I had already been accepted into another mentor group so I will not be joining this group. Thank you just the same.

Justin Wilson

Justin,

Sorry to see you go. Enjoy! and good luck.

2012-04-25 8:48 AM

User image

Master

OK, two good days of getting in my morning workout, but two days of so-so eating.

Getting ready to plan this weekends workouts. Thinking about a long ride on Sat and maybe another on Sunday.

2012-04-25 11:01 AM

Rochester

Hi Eli:

Hoping you are not closed...

I am VERY new to BT, although I have been following the BT Beginner HIM plan since February...

NAME: Anne

STORY: I am currently 42, started running the week I turned 40.  Did my first full marathon (Chicago, 2010) 11 months later, and completed 4 more within the next 15 months (Bayshore (5/11), Air Force (9/11), Marine Corps (10/11), and the Goofy Challenge (1/12). Completed one sprint triathlon last summer, to see if I could handle the open water (intense fear), did okay, so signed up for Welland HIM, June 2012. I am a VERY slow runner, and not the best biker or swimmer, but I will finish!

I have a weird tendency to pick up "newbies" on my runs, or run to support other people, so a lot of my times are not super reflective of my true ability.

Am losing weight - currently at 23# down since 1/30/12. 10-20 more to go...we'll see when we get there.

I am a high school teacher.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to a relatively new runner, and I have a soon-to-be 16 year old son.

CURRENT TRAINING: As mentioned earlier, I am following the BT HIM 20 week plan.  I am 9 weeks out from Welland. Training averages 9 workouts over 6 days. Working on improving speed in swim and bike (right now, 16 mph is a great ride for me), and improving my speed and endurance in running (my best half is 2:30, and I am not sure if I can repeat that).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Bayshore Half (5/12), Welland, Ont Half Iron Distance Tri...not sure what else.  Looking at Kiawah Island Marathon (SC) in December.

WEIGHTLOSS: Write my food/calories/exercise/water down daily (I'm old school...love to write!).  Goal is 1500 calories per day, but anywhere between 1400-1600 is a good day. Don't usually go over.  Don't take exercsie expenditures into account, but also don't count training nutrition (gu's, drinks, etc).  Do not ever want to feel like I can't consume what I need to while training or racing, and don't want to fall into the trap of "if I run another 1/2 hour, I can eat 3 cookies..."  Prior to teaching, I was a registered dietitian.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am super new to all of this, and love information.  I belong to a great running group that has brought me this far, and we have a good share of multi-sport athletes in our group as well. Looking for additional people with whom to bounce info. I get very overwhelmed with the "sciency/technical" aspect of training - that really takes the fun out of it for me.  I am not pursuing tri's to be competitive, but for the challenge and fun.

**Hoping to join you!  Really enjoy the tone of your blog (?)... **

2012-04-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4172133

User image

Master
annec - 2012-04-25 11:01 AM

Hi Eli:

Hoping you are not closed...

I am VERY new to BT, although I have been following the BT Beginner HIM plan since February...

NAME: Anne

STORY: I am currently 42, started running the week I turned 40.  Did my first full marathon (Chicago, 2010) 11 months later, and completed 4 more within the next 15 months (Bayshore (5/11), Air Force (9/11), Marine Corps (10/11), and the Goofy Challenge (1/12). Completed one sprint triathlon last summer, to see if I could handle the open water (intense fear), did okay, so signed up for Welland HIM, June 2012. I am a VERY slow runner, and not the best biker or swimmer, but I will finish!

I have a weird tendency to pick up "newbies" on my runs, or run to support other people, so a lot of my times are not super reflective of my true ability.

Am losing weight - currently at 23# down since 1/30/12. 10-20 more to go...we'll see when we get there.

I am a high school teacher.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to a relatively new runner, and I have a soon-to-be 16 year old son.

CURRENT TRAINING: As mentioned earlier, I am following the BT HIM 20 week plan.  I am 9 weeks out from Welland. Training averages 9 workouts over 6 days. Working on improving speed in swim and bike (right now, 16 mph is a great ride for me), and improving my speed and endurance in running (my best half is 2:30, and I am not sure if I can repeat that).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Bayshore Half (5/12), Welland, Ont Half Iron Distance Tri...not sure what else.  Looking at Kiawah Island Marathon (SC) in December.

WEIGHTLOSS: Write my food/calories/exercise/water down daily (I'm old school...love to write!).  Goal is 1500 calories per day, but anywhere between 1400-1600 is a good day. Don't usually go over.  Don't take exercsie expenditures into account, but also don't count training nutrition (gu's, drinks, etc).  Do not ever want to feel like I can't consume what I need to while training or racing, and don't want to fall into the trap of "if I run another 1/2 hour, I can eat 3 cookies..."  Prior to teaching, I was a registered dietitian.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am super new to all of this, and love information.  I belong to a great running group that has brought me this far, and we have a good share of multi-sport athletes in our group as well. Looking for additional people with whom to bounce info. I get very overwhelmed with the "sciency/technical" aspect of training - that really takes the fun out of it for me.  I am not pursuing tri's to be competitive, but for the challenge and fun.

**Hoping to join you!  Really enjoy the tone of your blog (?)... **

Anne,

Welcome to the group!! We are happy to have you join us.

Sounds like you have jumped into endurance sports with a passion! I missed the Goofy last year, but have run it 3 times.

How is the BT HIM plan working for you? I used it a few years ago and I thought it was pretty good.

I may have to pick your brain about nutrition!

And slow doesn't matter, its really about enjoying yourself.

2012-04-25 11:35 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

I haven't checked through everyone's pages, but do you log here on BT? Food or Exercise?

If you don't log here, maybe start posting a weekly update of what you did. No judgement, but then, if you have questions, we can refer to what you have been up to, which can help frame answers.

And....bring on the questions, comments or general posts. Part of our goal here is to motivate!

2012-04-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4172238

Eli,

I have a question in reguards to HR during a race. I do belive in HR based training. But also lets call a spade a spade. I am in this for me. Not my ego. so being precises to the exact BPM, Gram of carb intake, to the second/foot for a planned workout etc. etc. etc. is not what I am about. Lets talk "broad strokes of the brush"..

HR? I get the 80% fuel burn best hr to train in for endurance events... But what do you do in a race? let your HR dictate your pace? or push your pace right up to a limit you can sustain for the whole event? I ask this in regards to my Duo this weekend. 2.5/15/2.5 not sure how to approach it. Treat it as training day stay calm? or treat it as my mini Olympics balls out?

Do hope that question made sense.

Thank you

2012-04-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4172215

Rochester

Wahoo!  Thanks for including me!

I tend to jump into things (5 marathons in 15 months, anyone?).

BT Plan seems to be working okay. Get a little mixed up on some of the jargon.  Took my friend's advice and using time for bike and run, and distance for swims.  What do you think? My concern is that if it says 1 hour run, they are expecting people to run 6 or 7 miles, whereas it may be 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 for me... I am hoping I am not shorting myself in that department.

As for your next question, I am not logging anything on BT yet...still learning my way around.  I will probably get there soon enough, but will try to start logging progress updates or something to that effect...

2012-04-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4172542

User image

Master
onlooker - 2012-04-25 1:10 PM

Eli,

I have a question in reguards to HR during a race. I do belive in HR based training. But also lets call a spade a spade. I am in this for me. Not my ego. so being precises to the exact BPM, Gram of carb intake, to the second/foot for a planned workout etc. etc. etc. is not what I am about. Lets talk "broad strokes of the brush"..

HR? I get the 80% fuel burn best hr to train in for endurance events... But what do you do in a race? let your HR dictate your pace? or push your pace right up to a limit you can sustain for the whole event? I ask this in regards to my Duo this weekend. 2.5/15/2.5 not sure how to approach it. Treat it as training day stay calm? or treat it as my mini Olympics balls out?

Do hope that question made sense.

Thank you

AJ, 

yes, I think I get it. So, as it relates to sprints, and also olypmic, the goal on race day is to go as fast as you can, without blowing up before the finish.

If you have done a solid field test for your HR(threshold or lactate HR, max HR isn't as useful), this number can be used as a sanity check on the run. If your HR is much over your 5K HR...you may be in trouble.

Once you have run(or swam), your HR will be elevated, and on the bike, it may take a few minutes, to an hour, to go down. For me, and I think for most people, the HR(again, threshold or lactate) on the bike will be lower than on the run. During a race, it may end up being higher.

And finally, the final run....if you are using HR, again, use it as a sanity check. Much higher than your 5K HR, and you may not be able to finish at a pace you like.

Since this is your first race, you will find out more about how far you can go from your training HRs. My HR spikes at every race, so the first one may give you new numbers to work with.

To summarize:

1st run- try to stay below your 5K test HR

Bike- Hard to say, but don't go too far above your threshold/lactate HR. It will most likley be elevated since you just ran and don't have enough rest for it to go back down

final run- Hold on as long as you can....

Hope that helps

2012-04-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4172662

User image

Master
annec - 2012-04-25 1:43 PM

Wahoo!  Thanks for including me!

I tend to jump into things (5 marathons in 15 months, anyone?).

BT Plan seems to be working okay. Get a little mixed up on some of the jargon.  Took my friend's advice and using time for bike and run, and distance for swims.  What do you think? My concern is that if it says 1 hour run, they are expecting people to run 6 or 7 miles, whereas it may be 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 for me... I am hoping I am not shorting myself in that department.

As for your next question, I am not logging anything on BT yet...still learning my way around.  I will probably get there soon enough, but will try to start logging progress updates or something to that effect...

Anne,

Using time will work pretty well. Try to gauge what the purpose of the workout is. If it is drills/intervals, then get those done at the paces specified (based on your own level). if it is a "long" run or ride, make sure you are going long enough to build the endurance, and confidence you will need.
Since you already know what it is like to run a marathon, the psyhological aspect for an HIM won't be as big. however, getting in the long rides or medium length rides with intervals are key. You want to get off that bike feeling like you can run a 13.1 at a pace close to what you would run it at a regular half marathon.

That being said, I have only managed 2 HIMs where my run was even close to my regular HM time. This means I didn't pace my ride, or didn't have the fitness for how I rode.

I haven't even come close at the IM distance to getting a decent run...I keep trying though!!! 

2012-04-25 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Never been part of one of these.  Do you have room for one more?

2012-04-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4170923

User image

New user

Jocelyn,

Welcome aboard! We have room for another.

Wow, med school and triathlon!!! Way to go.

I know what you mean about gaining weight when you don't train. I have the same issue.

June 3 is coming up soon, how is your training going?

Overall training is going well. I'm worried about the bike though.  I think I need to spend more time on it indoors because I'm very nervous about biking on a lot of the roads. So that became me not riding the bike at all...which doesn't help improve my weakest area!

Any tips on not feeling so scared when I ride on the roads?

2012-04-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4172819

Soooooo in other words run till ready to puke, then back off a little.. Got it. LOL

Honestly i do pretty much understand what you are saying. Thank you..

again I am not doing anything special or different training for this race. as well, safe to assume that no taper or anything as well. Correct? its so close now that it would seem useless anyway. 

Thanks Pal. Hope to finish and not finish in last place..

2012-04-25 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4172900

User image

Master

cornick - 2012-04-25 2:42 PM Never been part of one of these.  Do you have room for one more?

Sure, post your Bio and join in!

2012-04-25 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4173169

User image

Master
joyosplash - 2012-04-25 4:11 PM 

Overall training is going well. I'm worried about the bike though.  I think I need to spend more time on it indoors because I'm very nervous about biking on a lot of the roads. So that became me not riding the bike at all...which doesn't help improve my weakest area!

Any tips on not feeling so scared when I ride on the roads?

Not really, but practicing on a spin bike or a trainer does help. It gets you more comfortable in position on the bike.

Do you use clipless pedals and bike shoes with cleats? If so, practice clipping in and out a bunch whenever you get on the bike.

As far as comfort on the road, is it more your bike handling, or nervousness about the road/traffic/other cyclists?

Spending more time on the bike in any fashion will help. Is there a park or multi-use trail where you can ride without traffic? Even riding slow will help you get used to the handling. Try to play some, like when you were a kid. Slalom, stop short, accellerate, etc. All of this will give you a better feel for the bike and how it responds. The more you "almost fall" the more you know how not to fall.

Then again, they say there are only two kinds of cyclists...those that have fallen, and those that will.

2012-04-25 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4173396

User image

Master
onlooker - 2012-04-25 6:54 PM

Soooooo in other words run till ready to puke, then back off a little.. Got it. LOL

Honestly i do pretty much understand what you are saying. Thank you..

again I am not doing anything special or different training for this race. as well, safe to assume that no taper or anything as well. Correct? its so close now that it would seem useless anyway. 

Thanks Pal. Hope to finish and not finish in last place..

I wouldn't worry about a taper. Maybe make sure to take it easy the day or two before the race. Keep it short.

I would say back off a little before you feel like you are about to puke. Gagging messes up your stride.

And, having finished a race in last place, it isn't as bad as you think.

2012-04-25 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4146275

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

NAME: cornick/Jeff

STORY: I'm 32 years old.  I'm a life long athlete...played college basketball.  I'm new to triathlons and this is my second season doing them.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years.  2 adopted boys ages 5 and 1 and they are true blessings!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for Ironman Lake Placid and loving it! It's very time consuming but am loving the commitment and dedication that it takes to complete such a task!

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Hudson Crossing Sprint, Fronhofer Olympic, Big George Half

2012 RACES: I've completed Disney Half Marathon, Disney Full Marathon in back to back days called the Goofy Challenge.  Later in the year on the radar is Hudson Crossing Sprint, Tinman Half, Lake Placid Full, Big George Half, Marine Corp Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Since I've started this journey I've dropped about 40lbs and I feel great.  I still have about 10-15 to go and I'll be good.  For someone my size I can't loose too much more.  I stand 6'6" and currently weigh 224 so if I keep going a stiff breeze will take me out!

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS: Encouragement I would say is the biggest thing.  I feel like I've got my nutrition down and know what I'm doing with that.  Someone to stay on my case every once and a while...I don't normally have an issue of training when I need to but sometimes it can't hurt!

Anyways, that's me and this is my first time in a group so we'll see how it goes.  I love to encourage people...I don't know much about the sport but I've been told I know how to encourage and inspire people so I think I have something to offer the group as well.

Thanks!

Jeff

2012-04-26 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4173614

User image

Master
cornick - 2012-04-25 9:29 PM

NAME: cornick/Jeff

STORY: I'm 32 years old.  I'm a life long athlete...played college basketball.  I'm new to triathlons and this is my second season doing them.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years.  2 adopted boys ages 5 and 1 and they are true blessings!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for Ironman Lake Placid and loving it! It's very time consuming but am loving the commitment and dedication that it takes to complete such a task!

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Hudson Crossing Sprint, Fronhofer Olympic, Big George Half

2012 RACES: I've completed Disney Half Marathon, Disney Full Marathon in back to back days called the Goofy Challenge.  Later in the year on the radar is Hudson Crossing Sprint, Tinman Half, Lake Placid Full, Big George Half, Marine Corp Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Since I've started this journey I've dropped about 40lbs and I feel great.  I still have about 10-15 to go and I'll be good.  For someone my size I can't loose too much more.  I stand 6'6" and currently weigh 224 so if I keep going a stiff breeze will take me out!

WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR OR GOALS: Encouragement I would say is the biggest thing.  I feel like I've got my nutrition down and know what I'm doing with that.  Someone to stay on my case every once and a while...I don't normally have an issue of training when I need to but sometimes it can't hurt!

Anyways, that's me and this is my first time in a group so we'll see how it goes.  I love to encourage people...I don't know much about the sport but I've been told I know how to encourage and inspire people so I think I have something to offer the group as well.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome aboard!!

IM Lake Placid looks like a heck of a race. I was looking a the bike course elevation maps...WOW.

I guess we have three Goofy's in this group. I have done it 3 times and I think Anne said she has done it as well.

And... I think there are 3 of us planning on running Marine Corps! This year will be my 4th (missed last year).

I know what you mean about motivation. I find that these groups can help keep me interested and connected. I try to do at least one training session with friends each week, which also helps.

2012-04-26 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4172847

Rochester

I got the "rubber leg" syndrome when I did the sprint last year...I think it took me a mile to regain full use of my legs!

On my double discipline days, I have been doing many of them as back to back as possible.  In the early days/weeks of the training plan, they specifically stated to space them out several hours apart, but they haven't said that in a while, so I am thinking it's safe to do a slow transition (10 - 30 minutes) then go on to the next thing.  I am especially trying to focus on the bike/run bricks, to get my legs used to that transition.

I can't even fathom doing a full IM at this time...I don't know how you guys do it!!  Scary! Cool 

2012-04-26 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4174303

User image

Master
annec - 2012-04-26 9:04 AM

I got the "rubber leg" syndrome when I did the sprint last year...I think it took me a mile to regain full use of my legs!

On my double discipline days, I have been doing many of them as back to back as possible.  In the early days/weeks of the training plan, they specifically stated to space them out several hours apart, but they haven't said that in a while, so I am thinking it's safe to do a slow transition (10 - 30 minutes) then go on to the next thing.  I am especially trying to focus on the bike/run bricks, to get my legs used to that transition.

I can't even fathom doing a full IM at this time...I don't know how you guys do it!!  Scary! Cool 

Yeah, the rubber leg can be a kick in the pants. Nothing like getting off the bike and feeling like you can't remember how to get your legs to work right.

As to bricks, I personally am a fan, but...you don't gain a lot by doing long runs off the bike. Running with tired legs may lead to bad form and injury. I like to get in 3 after a medium-long ride once a week, just to practice a little.

Then again, getting in two a days is hard, so if you have to brick it, why not.

2012-04-27 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4173567

User image

New user

Not really, but practicing on a spin bike or a trainer does help. It gets you more comfortable in position on the bike.

Do you use clipless pedals and bike shoes with cleats? If so, practice clipping in and out a bunch whenever you get on the bike.

As far as comfort on the road, is it more your bike handling, or nervousness about the road/traffic/other cyclists?

Spending more time on the bike in any fashion will help. Is there a park or multi-use trail where you can ride without traffic? Even riding slow will help you get used to the handling. Try to play some, like when you were a kid. Slalom, stop short, accellerate, etc. All of this will give you a better feel for the bike and how it responds. The more you "almost fall" the more you know how not to fall.

Then again, they say there are only two kinds of cyclists...those that have fallen, and those that will.

I do use clipless pedals, there was a few rough days of me falling, but that part has gotten under control! I have some very pretty scars from some rough tumbles!  It's more fear of the traffic. I have been nearly taken out while running on the roads near me, so riding without being able to see the cars coming at me freaks me out. When I can I go to the LIE service roads, but with all the added time of loading the bike and driving there, I lose riding time.

Edited by joyosplash 2012-04-27 7:35 AM

2012-04-27 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4176215

User image

Master
joyosplash - 2012-04-27 7:34 AM

I do use clipless pedals, there was a few rough days of me falling, but that part has gotten under control! I have some very pretty scars from some rough tumbles!  It's more fear of the traffic. I have been nearly taken out while running on the roads near me, so riding without being able to see the cars coming at me freaks me out. When I can I go to the LIE service roads, but with all the added time of loading the bike and driving there, I lose riding time.

The traffic thing is a pain. Knowing your local laws and riding well are your best defense.
In the areas here where there is no bike path, it really can get a little crazy. I try to make sure I am very visible, and in Florida, since bicycles are considered vehicles, I actually ride in the road (when there is no bike lane) so that cars need to be in the other lane to pass me.

Knowing the roads and where you can stop or get out of the way, and knowing which areas are the worst and riding more carefully there, even if it is slower, can help as well.

Aside from the service roads, are there any other areas that are "safe"?

2012-04-27 2:09 PM

User image

Master

Wooot!

Weekend! Got to the gym today. Swimming after you lift is NOT easy. It took me about 400 meters before I felt like I could use my arms correctly.

Going for a 36 mile ride and 5 mile run tomorrow. Should be fun.

Sunday is up in the air, but hope to get in at least 6 miles running and maybe a ride too.

Aside from AJ, anyone else have plans?

AJ, good luck at the race. Looking forward to hearing about how it goes.

2012-04-28 3:28 PM

User image

Master

Whew,

Good day to train....in the rain.

Woke up today and 4 people had bailed on the morning brick. So...I went anyway. Wasn't raining much, but the roads were wet.

Rediscovered training clue #1- Don't do a leg workout at the gym the day before a brick...The Squats and Lunges I did yesterday were haunting my legs on the ride today. Legs were sore and I didn't feel like I was putting out what I could.

However, getting out, riding 40 and then running 3.5 was still a great start to the day.

Now, if I can manage NOT to eat too much today.....

2012-04-29 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Just trying to fit in training around all the kid's activities...I got my long (for me) run in Saturday morning before horseback riding lessons and hope to get a long bike in Sunday afternoon after soccer games.

My left knee has been a bit wonky the last couple of weeks. It just feels "full", but not painful enough to stop working out. Friday night as I was walking up stairs, something gave and it really hurt. Hurt all night into the am, decided to try the run with the provision that I could bail out immediately if it started hurting. Made it all the way through with minimal pain. It didn't hurt again until getting out of the car after a 20 minute car ride. Walked for about an hour and it loosened right up. Now it hurts if I step on it a particular way, but nothing debilitating.,..so - do I continue working out at my usual level? How do you know when you're really hurt vs. minorly hurt?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  

of 10