General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-07-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4308905

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
BikerGrrrl - 2012-07-12 5:22 PM

I tried to do the run - for you guys!  I got a little over half completed, but the blanket of heat and just feeling kind of crummy got to me today.  It did make me realize I need to promise myself to do long runs on weekend mornings, when I can be successful.

How did everyone else's training go?

Half the distance is better than none, though - great job!  I have trouble trying to get long stuff in during the work week, too - weekends are better when I have the entire day to do the session, recover, and not have to worry about work.

2012-07-13 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Workouts are rolling along as planned this week.  Trainer session this morning, and hoping to get some hill repeats on the road tomorrow with an eight mile run on Sunday.  Have been in a pretty good groove with training since April - just keeing it going...
2012-07-13 9:36 AM

User image

Expert

Hello All!

I am signed up for the Hy-Vee Olympic triathlon in 8 weeks.  I did my first try a few weeks ago and really really struggled on the swim.

Is 8 weeks enough time to get up to a 1 mile swim?  I am considering backing out because I feel I wont be ready for the swim..

2012-07-13 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

There is a part of me that would love to get workouts in early in the day, but the reality is I am just not a morning person, so I do my workouts in the evening after work.  Maybe someday I will convince my stubborn, night-owl self to try the early bird stuff.

Took a night off from training last night, tonight I am planning either just a run or a run then a trip to the pool.  Tomorrow: long bike, will try to go 'early' because my neice's grad party is in the afternoon. Sunday: 'Quinto' day with my friends!  BikeKayakGolfGeocacheBeer (not necessarily in that order), which isn't exactly tri training but it sure is fun!

What do you guys have planned for the weekend?

2012-07-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4309541

User image

Pennsylvania
SoberTriGuy - 2012-07-13 9:40 AM

Good morning folks!  I had a really great swim this morning in a local lake.  I found a great shallow water spot that is boat free and you can see the bottom the whole time (I am swimming with a real beginner, and he feels safer when he can see bottom).

Just had to share.  My next race is in two days!!!

Awesome!  Nice to have OWS to practice in.  Good luck in your race, be sure to let us know how it goes!

2012-07-13 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4309683

User image

Pennsylvania
RushTogether - 2012-07-13 10:36 AM

I am signed up for the Hy-Vee Olympic triathlon in 8 weeks.  I did my first try a few weeks ago and really really struggled on the swim.

Is 8 weeks enough time to get up to a 1 mile swim?  I am considering backing out because I feel I wont be ready for the swim..

What has been your longest continuous training swim?  How many meters/yards are your typical swim sessions?  You may surprise yourself by being able to do more than you think you can. 

2012-07-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4309505

User image

Pennsylvania
leatherneckpa - 2012-07-13 9:24 AM

Just finished my actual training walk for the day.  On the one hand, I was a little disappointed that it was almost exactly a minute slower than my first effort at two miles.  On the other hand, I expected to be a little slower, having already done Cindy's walk at 6 am.  So in reality I've walked three miles today instead of just two.  And I'm sure we don't see improvement every single day, there are ups and downs and plateaus in everyone's log I'd bet.  So all things considered I'm satisfied.  2 miles - 19:06 out and 36.30 total.  Arms down, normal loping walk out; arms up and shorter, quicker strides on the way back (downhill).

This.  Take the good with the bad.  Consistency in training, which you seem to be doing a superb job at, will bring results.  There are so many factors that could affect our training performance on any given day: temp, humidity, how much you ate and when, hydration, sleep, soreness, etc. that we shouldn't tear ourselves apart after one or two slower times.  Keep up the good work!

2012-07-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4309696

User image

Expert
melbo55 - 2012-07-13 9:42 AM

What has been your longest continuous training swim?  How many meters/yards are your typical swim sessions?  You may surprise yourself by being able to do more than you think you can. 

My longest continuous swim is the 600 yds in the tri I did.

2012-07-13 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Wow, it IS active in here, isn't it? yay!

bikergrrrl, thanks for the solace on my "run" last night. I just decided to shake it off and move on and your words are helpful in that.

I'm hoping to do a nice bike ride today and tomorrow, with maybe an added run. It's hard to say - my mother is flying in late tonight, so the schedule is sure to be a bit whacked tomorrow. She'll be supportive of my workouts and eating habits, but it will be hard to get my workouts down faithfully next week if I'm not careful.

The workout in the early morning...I haven't done a lot of that. Mostly I do it after work. However, I'm a lark and have toyed with the idea of getting up earlier, particularly for running. Maybe I'll work on that.

Keep moving, everyone!

Edited by calluna 2012-07-13 10:21 AM
2012-07-13 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4309737

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
RushTogether - 2012-07-13 10:03 AM
melbo55 - 2012-07-13 9:42 AM

My longest continuous swim is the 600 yds in the tri I did.

Were you relaxed in that 600 yards?  do you think you could've done twice that or more?  I have found that if I get in a rhythm that I can sustain, I can swim a long long time.  Just this year I have been swimming an open water loop of .86 miles.  I am very confident that I can swim over a mile maybe even two miles if I take it slow and steady..

Edit.  CONGRATS to you for taking on the OLY course.  I could definitely do the swim and the bike, but the 6 miles of running have me scared off this year.  Maybe next year!!

Edited by SoberTriGuy 2012-07-13 10:18 AM
2012-07-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4309687

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
melbo55 - 2012-07-13 10:38 AM

BikeKayakGolfGeocacheBeer

That's my kind of workout.  Saturday is my son's first birthday party so I'm going to have to force myself to get up early to get a good workout in then we have his party rest of the day.  Sunday I'm bringing my bike to my cousin who works at a shop to get it tuned up then doing a little golfing as his payment for the tune.

2012-07-13 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett

I got most of my workout in last night - family drama got in my head and I walked out of swim team 20 minutes early.  I wasn't putting the effort in, I was completely distracted by the drama that happened right before and couldn't even count laps.  First time I've ever quit anything. 

Phone call directly with my sister cleared things up.  Thank goodness - she's the runner for our Half Ironman relay on Sunday.  My mom implied that she didn't want to do it and at the last minute I would have been swimming my leg PLUS running a half marathon.  GULP.  Not ready - could DO it - but not ready.

Which leads me to:  Rest Day today and tomorrow and race on Sunday!! That's my weekend!

2012-07-13 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett
RushTogether - 2012-07-13 7:36 AM

Good news!  Olympic distance is "only" a half mile (roughly 800m) so really you've almost done the distance already!  Just 200 more meters and you're there.  Add some race adrenaline and you're good to go!! 

Are you in a wetsuit - is the race wetsuit legal?  If you don't have a wetsuit, I would HIGHLY recommend renting one for the race.  It's practically cheating - ALL your energy is spent on forward motion and NONE of it on staying above the water.  Which, at least for me, is a challenge.  As bouyant as fat is supposed to be, I still sink like a rock.  A 200 pound rock.  Anway...good luck!!

2012-07-13 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4309825

User image

Pro
Lauralynne - 2012-07-13 10:36 AM

I got most of my workout in last night - family drama got in my head and I walked out of swim team 20 minutes early.  I wasn't putting the effort in, I was completely distracted by the drama that happened right before and couldn't even count laps.  First time I've ever quit anything. 

Phone call directly with my sister cleared things up.  Thank goodness - she's the runner for our Half Ironman relay on Sunday.  My mom implied that she didn't want to do it and at the last minute I would have been swimming my leg PLUS running a half marathon.  GULP.  Not ready - could DO it - but not ready.

Which leads me to:  Rest Day today and tomorrow and race on Sunday!! That's my weekend!

Good luck on yor race Sunday. Happy to hear the drama is over also.

2012-07-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4309293

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

leatherneckpa - 2012-07-13 6:01 AM 1st walk of the day done.  Cindy did get up and out for her mile.  20:55, she's almost below 20!  Best of all, I think the success at the scales in Weight Watchers is motivating her to keep with it.  I doubt that she will ever tri, but at least she's walking.  My solo walk will be around 8, after she's left for work.

This is great!  I also agree with Bikergrrl, the couch to 5k was the best way for me to start.  It got me through my first half marathon over a year ago, and I am so pleased with how it helps you avoid injury!  

As for a plan, I used a Sprint plan from here on BT.  It was hard to maintain the first few weeks, because I told myself, "Oh I can already swim/bike/run that", but the benefits of just sticking to the plan paid off for me in the end!  

Now I have a few under my belt, I am working towards an OLY, and am using a plan from this site as well as picking my husband's brain.  The rest of my races this year are Sprints or 25k trail runs, etc.  My workouts have become more run centric.  

2012-07-13 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
RushTogether - 2012-07-13 9:36 AM

Hello All!

You have 8 weeks.  If you are confident in your bike and run, add some extra time to your swim training.  Bump up each session by 100m or more if you feel it.  I think you can do the swim part, but I'm your biggest fan Tyler!  

If you can, try to add in a bike or run from the gym after your swim, just to gauge where you are at.  

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-07-13 11:16 AM

2012-07-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4309792

User image

Expert
jonD81 - 2012-07-13 10:22 AM
melbo55 - 2012-07-13 10:38 AM

BikeKayakGolfGeocacheBeer

That's my kind of workout.  Saturday is my son's first birthday party so I'm going to have to force myself to get up early to get a good workout in then we have his party rest of the day.  Sunday I'm bringing my bike to my cousin who works at a shop to get it tuned up then doing a little golfing as his payment for the tune.

Oh Happy Birthday to the little man!!!  

My weekend looks like more resting and healing.  I started stretching my legs out this morning, and was able to put some weight on the toe.  (for those who don't know, I fractured 2 metatarsals in my big toe)

I am going to see if I can get some time in on the trainer with my bike.  Now that I can handle putting some weight on my toe I would like to see what I can do.  Hopefully by Monday I will be out there getting a couple miles in on the run.   I have a trail race next weekend I do not want to miss, so I could be out there running in this boot! LOL  

2012-07-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4309825

User image

Expert
Lauralynne - 2012-07-13 10:36 AM

Good Luck on your race on Sunday!!!  Can't wait to hear how it goes Laughing

2012-07-13 1:42 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Anyone else racing this weekend?  So far we have SoberTriGuy and Lauralynne.  Good luck to both of you!!
2012-07-13 2:26 PM

User image

I updated my training log for the week. Thanks for the "inspires"  I had no idea the things this forum can do.

Today was supposed to be a training day but I didn't get home till almost midnight and in bed until 2am last night after driving to Atlanta (180 miles) to buy my wife a minivan. Yesterday was a rest day. I guess tomorrow I will do a swim/bike workout. Goal for the swim - 3 sets of 5 minutes swims 1 minute rest with my homemade swim tether. Goal for the bike - 10.5 miles under 40 minutes.  Total time with transition - 1 hour.

Edit - I work out in the morning.  That's the only time the rest of the family is asleep that I can work out without missing time with them!

Edited by phishinphan 2012-07-13 2:49 PM
2012-07-13 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4310380

User image

Veteran

Just finished reading the posts, and I would like to come and play. To answer some of the questions, I am a morning runner and swimmer and bike in the afternoons. Workouts are Mon. Run followed by boot camp, Tues. OWS bike in the afternoon, Wed. Run. Thurs. Run in am and Bike afternoon. Fri rest Saturday Long ride or brick workouts Sun. rest unless Saturday wasn't enough

I have an Oly Tomorrow, going into a little tired because my big race is in three weeks. So I'm not tapering at all for this one. Next race is 132 miles, doing a tri 4 times in 4 different lakes should be fun

Good Luck to all the racers this weekend.

I noticed someone was adjusting a derailer but missed the name. If you got it great if not there was a really good video on bicycle.com I could find for you.

Jarrod

2012-07-13 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Ugh, hot and humid with this teasing cross breeze that didn't want to appear when I was dying and needed it.  Just ran my typical 5k route out and back, 2nd sub 26 mins in a row so my next barrier is breaking the 8 min pace.  I'm comfortable with the 5k distance so I'm going to increase it by 10% next week.  I need to be running longer than 26 mins.

Definitely liking the group mentality here.  I love knowing that everyone is working out, makes me want to get out there and go even harder.  Hope every busts their butts tonight!

2012-07-14 6:34 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Thanks for your view on the sprint program from here. Thats what im starting (just finisjing my second week), and its nice to know how others found it.
I am so in a different place than many it sounds, the swim for me is a breeze, but boy would i give my right arm to be able to ride above a snails pace, or run much faster than i can walk. I guess time will tell
2012-07-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4311187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
alburyscott - 2012-07-14 7:34 AM ..... boy would i give my right arm to be able to ride above a snails pace, or run much faster than i can walk. I guess time will tell
Dude, look on the bright side, at least YOU can run. 
2012-07-14 7:57 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Certainly leather, and I am damn thankful for it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45