BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-01-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4579896

Regular
Subject: RE: JAPEWANG's GROUP - OPEN
japewang - 2013-01-15 4:28 PM

Welcome Joe!  Looks like we're waiting on people's bios....

Post your goals and what you're trying to accomplish over these next couple of months too!  That way the group can encourage as best as possible and even *ahem* hold each other accountable

Thanks Jeremy!

Name: Joe

Story: I got into multisport in the winter of 2011; at the time I was around 250 and lacking passion for something in my life. A very tedious time in my life. The fitness center that I am a member of had a 'mileage' contest, who could swim, bike, and run the most would get prizes so I entered that. After that contest they hosted an indoor tri, which I entered with some trepidation. I liked it! After that I ran my first 5k and various other sprint tris culminating with an Olympic distance event. By that time I had dropped my weight to 210 lbs. I had some more learning to do though because by January of next year I was back into the 220's. I began my training for my second year of multisport and signed up for several sprint events as well as my first Half Ironman, which was the prize at the end of the year. Unfortunately I injured myself and missed out on all my events save the Half Ironman, which was Steelhead. I had a piriformis 'syndrome', swelling in the right buttock severe enough to shift my pelvis and misalign my spine, it was terrible! I looked like I had scoliosis. With a month to Steelhead I decided to begin training for it but I was still injured; I remember the first thing I did was walk a mile, gingerly. I prayed about it and recieved a minor miracle that I was fit enough to finish the event.

Family Status: Married with three kids and 4 grandkids and 6 cats. Life is busy this year!

Current training: I am following the SuperCoach Ironman plan; I am in week 11 of the preseason portion.

This year's races: Two indoor tris and a Half Ironman

2013's races: Racine 70.3, IM Canada, IM Wisconsin, and if I win the lottery, Kona (woot!)!

Weightloss: 250 was my max; currently I'm at 200 lbs and looking to get into the 170's by July

2013-01-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4552962

Regular
Subject: RE: JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED

Back from a swim session at the fitness center. Including warm up and cool down I did 2500, 2000 of it non stop. Today is normally my off day but I took Wednesday and Thursday off mostly due to some bruising/bleeding along my right tibia. I take some OTC herbals, and a few of them are blood thinners: Garlic, ginseng, vitamin E (multivitamin), and fish oil. The wife and I get protein from online and they usually throw some freebie in there to try and the other week there was a pre workout booster with capsiacin in it. I didn't even think of what could happen but last week I did 2 hours on the treadmill and later when I got home I noticed the bruising/bleeding underneath the skin along my tibia. After some research I decided that is what my problem was so I stopped taking the pre workout stuff and I will cut back on the fish oil. The other things I only take every so often; hopefully this clears up my situation.

Has anyone ever followed the Trifuel Supercoach plan? Any comments? I saw some thoughts on Slowtwitch that there was too much swimming and not enough anything else but that might be referring to a previous version; Coach Mike, who designed it, has revised it every now and again. Then again I also read on Slow twitch that 'not enough' is a common complaint from those guys, lol.

2013-01-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4583698

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Yes, I ran on Sunday.  I know Osceola Co., I grew up in Orlando.  I just forgot.  I did goofy in 2012 and hurt my ankle so I ran the full this year.  I'm doing goofy next year.  I think half of the Goofy runners were in my corral and I felt like I was missing out.  That and all three of my kids want me to do it next year, so what the heck, I'll do it again.  I saw you guys coming and knew you were FD, shirts looked great.
2013-01-19 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
What's everyone got going on this weekend?  I have to work for a bit today but will get some time on the trainer in later this afternoon.
2013-01-19 3:13 PM

User image

I have a question for you. I just finished the Dusney 1/2 marathon last weekend and will be starting my triathlon training tomorrow but want to do the Melbourne Music 1/2 marathon on Febuary 2nd. I am doing the Warrior Dash on he 1st but I just take my time and don't race the clock I do it with friends. My question is do you recommend doing the 1/2 marathon this soon after the Disney and the day after the Warrior? This past December I did a 5k on a Saturday and a 1/2 marathon the next day with no problems. I ran the 1/2 as my long run for that weekend. I don't want to screw up my triathlon traing though but I would only have 2 weeks in on my tri training. Interested on your thoughts! If I can do it should I try to put a long run in this Wednesday or Thursday around 7-10 miles so I would have distance before the 1/2 but not too much?

Thanks

Ron
2013-01-19 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4586179

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Ron,

It really depends on how your body recovers.  How was your recovery when you did the back to backs in December?  If you could take a rest day the monday following the 1/2 mary and slide right into your training plan I think you would be ok.  "racing as training" is something I like to do a lot ie schedule road races or shorter tris to help play into my A race of the year.  I would try to keep up the bike and run while you ramp up to the other races, but maybe cut the volume a bit and make sure that it is done at a lower intensity.  

2013-01-19 6:27 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I got a quick 1/2 mile run in thIs morning while cheering my hubby onto his first stand up paddle board victory! Did a lot of walking around the course but had to sprint to catch him at the finish! Tomorrow is my long run. 10 or so is on the calendar. Hope my body cooperates because it will be cold and lonely out there. I am so proud of my husband. He is usually a MOP on his homemade boards. He borrowed one last minute and crushed it! He has been hitting the gym hard and watching his food intake and most importantly backing off the beers. It's amazing how fast you men can drop a few pounds with little changes. I work my butt off and still takes me triple the time to loose weight and see the improvements.
2013-01-19 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Hey all, I hope you are all having some good training this weekend.

I had a really busy day today but I did manage to get a 5 mile run in just before dark. That was my longest run so far this month.

Next Saturday's Frosty Fun Run is a 5.5 mile event. After that I'll build to a 10 miler in March and I'm hoping to do a half marathon in April or May.

2013-01-20 6:22 AM

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

I'm still resting my calf and starting to get frustrated coz it's not sore anymore. I want to give myself another week before hitting the roads again. I did a gym workout yesterday and today it's active rest. Mopping the floors being the "active" bit. I had intened going out on the bike but it's snowy and icy outside.

I'm considering buying a turbo trainer as the weather won't get better anytime soon. Which raises a question as I have two options. A turbo trainer for the house to cycle anytime or a couple of spin classes a week ( which are "free" as part of my gym membership ) and longish weekend road rides weather permitting?

2013-01-20 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4586584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Clairaig - 2013-01-20 6:22 AM

I'm still resting my calf and starting to get frustrated coz it's not sore anymore. I want to give myself another week before hitting the roads again. I did a gym workout yesterday and today it's active rest. Mopping the floors being the "active" bit. I had intened going out on the bike but it's snowy and icy outside.

I'm considering buying a turbo trainer as the weather won't get better anytime soon. Which raises a question as I have two options. A turbo trainer for the house to cycle anytime or a couple of spin classes a week ( which are "free" as part of my gym membership ) and longish weekend road rides weather permitting?

I love spin classes, but I would recommend a trainer.  Spin is a great way to build general fitness, but you will lose something in translation if you're not on your specific bike.  Due to geometry differences etc. The more time you can spend on YOUR BIKE on a trainer or outside, the better.  Spinning is certainly better than no bike, but I prefer the trainer.

2013-01-20 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4586627

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

Thanks for your reply.

What's your thoughts on gym classes in general as part of a training regime. Before christmas I was going to Metafit and Spartacus workouts. I started these because I identify myself as a "plodder". Long and slow I like but I have no speed at all. I was really feeling the benefit before the Christmas food binge took hold.

2013-01-20 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4586314

User image

I surprisingly felt great after the run weekend and was on duty the next day with no pain. It feels weird not planning for a long event after all my training but I guess I need to shift gears and focus on the triathlon now if I want to do three of them this year. My family and I ran a 5K yesterday to support the Merritt Island high school cross country and had a blast. This morning I am off to swim and workout as day one of tri training officially starts. T minus 12 weeks till my first race. I still may do that 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks but I will take into consideration your advice and not over do my body. I like this new lifestyle and just need to take my time and enjoy it. 
2013-01-20 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4586634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Clairaig - 2013-01-20 7:47 AM

Thanks for your reply.

What's your thoughts on gym classes in general as part of a training regime. Before christmas I was going to Metafit and Spartacus workouts. I started these because I identify myself as a "plodder". Long and slow I like but I have no speed at all. I was really feeling the benefit before the Christmas food binge took hold.

Nothing wrong with them at all.  Do whatever makes you feel good and what you enjoy.  I enjoy playing basketball, TRX, and doing yoga in additon to S/B/R and try to incorporate them into my routine.  However the rule of thumb that most follow is to focus on S/B/R.  If your goal is to be faster in triathlon the majority if not all of your training should be S/B/R.  Add speedwork in the specific disciplines to get faster.

2013-01-20 6:03 PM

Regular
I had a solid weekend training: Did 35 and 4 miles respectively on the recumbent bike and treadmill Saturday, then ran 9.6 and biked 15 miles on Sunday. I need to work on getting good night's sleeps so I can be ready for the next day's sessions. Here in Michigan it's winter; I'll be happy when it's Spring again!
2013-01-21 1:24 AM

User image

Harare
I had a good weekend, training wise. My "official" HIM training started, as we're now 20 weeks out from Eagleman. I may have overdone it a bit. According to BT I was supposed to do several zone 1/2 workouts in each event, but I did TTs for biking and swimming to establish my lactate threshold. All went well (although my swim was slower than I would have hoped). But yesterday after an easy 1 hour morning ride and my 1500 m swimming TT, I got insane cramps in both hamstrings on my 1/2 mile bike ride home from the pool. I almost had to stop and walk home. Not sure if this is related nutrition, hydration, or overdoing the training. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
2013-01-21 1:32 AM

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

I've just signed up for a triathlon training weekend starting 22nd March. It's two nights in a nice hotel in the Scottish Borders. Not seen the schedule yet but based on last year there will be plenty of S/B/R with proper coaching.

Looking forward to a weekend with like-minded lunatics. Now it's just a matter of training for the training!

2013-01-21 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Just checking back in.  Last week wasn't so great on the training front, did run on Monday (3 miles) and then again on Saturday (slow 10  miles).  Definitely need more consistency, as I know this is not really training.

On a good note, I'm running tonight, so it's a new week.

Nice to meet everyone who has come on in JAPEWANG's group.  Welcome.

2013-01-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4587454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Danielfberlin - 2013-01-21 1:24 AM I had a good weekend, training wise. My "official" HIM training started, as we're now 20 weeks out from Eagleman. I may have overdone it a bit. According to BT I was supposed to do several zone 1/2 workouts in each event, but I did TTs for biking and swimming to establish my lactate threshold. All went well (although my swim was slower than I would have hoped). But yesterday after an easy 1 hour morning ride and my 1500 m swimming TT, I got insane cramps in both hamstrings on my 1/2 mile bike ride home from the pool. I almost had to stop and walk home. Not sure if this is related nutrition, hydration, or overdoing the training. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Indeed.  Happens to me frequently. Usually is related to some dehydration.  I find a lot of us don't hydrate as much while we are swimming and you can pay for it.  You also use your hammies much more than you think in swimming (especially if doing fin drills).  Take time to stretch a bit after each swim set and ensure you rehydrate.

2013-01-21 2:19 PM

User image

Pretty much zero training this weekend. I had a group fitness instructor audition and that turned out to be about 2 hours, so it pretty much took away my free Saturday time. Yesterday my husband ran a marathon (he got his PR!) but after the early morning getting him there and then walking with my 2 kids across what seemed like the entire city, I had nothing in me for my bike ride I was supposed to take. Also I have been having issues with my rear brakes, and I just pretty much gave up on it and we went out to celebrate his PR instead! So this is a new week, and only 15 to go till St. George. I am pretty nervous I won't be prepared, but I keep telling myself the answer is NOT to jump up to where you "should" be, just have to ease into the distance as to not hurt myself. Still no running yet. I am going to give it another week.
2013-01-21 6:11 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I had a good ten miler on Sunday. I was able to negative split my last 5 miles which helps me mentally to know I have the potential to get faster. I need to look back at my PR and see what it is going to take to beat it. I didn't make it to the gym/pool this morning but will go on wed instead. Got a cold morning for speed work coming up tomorrow.Looks like a few people are having trouble with their work outs. Don't beat yourself up about it, just keep trying!
2013-01-21 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
I run the opposite of most when it comes to weekend training.  My down days are the weekends when the kids are home and there's more family stuff to do.  The bulk of my training is done during the week.  It helps me balance traning and doing the family thing.  Which honestly is one of the  bigger goals I have this year.  I got a bad case of the "first season crazies" last year so I'm looking for a bit more balance.

2013-01-22 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4588534

User image

Expert
Alabama

Fokker416 - 2013-01-21 7:43 PM I run the opposite of most when it comes to weekend training.  My down days are the weekends when the kids are home and there's more family stuff to do.  The bulk of my training is done during the week.  It helps me balance traning and doing the family thing.  Which honestly is one of the  bigger goals I have this year.  I got a bad case of the "first season crazies" last year so I'm looking for a bit more balance.

I understand that.   After finishing my HIM in September 2011, I had to cut back and focus on the family more.  I ended up going a bit too far (although not falling off completely).  Did good through about June 2012, then just let everything slide from there.  I'm working on refocusing this year, and am looking to do more weekday training.

Good news, I was back on the bike and trainer this morning.  I'll have a goal to find the pool by the end of February.

2013-01-22 9:21 AM

Regular
Did 1000 continuous in the pool yesterday. I thought it was going to be a easy day but between the warm up and cool down it ended up being 2700 yards! Pretty crafty the way the author of the program snuck those in :p
2013-01-22 9:23 AM

Regular
I have a question. I'm doing IM Canada, what's the best way to get my bike there?
2013-01-22 9:25 AM

Regular
Oh, I should add Im flying in from Michigan. ..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9