BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-08 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4724462

User image

New user
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

thank you for the Swim Distance tips  
looking at the list of the members on Hilde's team, i see that i'm the only "outsider" here :D

2013-05-08 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4733912

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Well, Scott is from Canada... and Alex is Canadian at heart (and she's into Shakespeare and acting, so definitely out of the box!)
2013-05-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4733692

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Meljoypip - 2013-05-08 4:25 PM

Ok- thank you for the trainer answers!! I am going to have to save before I can get one anyway.

I have another question(s):

A triathlon group from the city my triathlon is in is holding a triathlon training session for beginners at the race site open to anyone this Saturday. I am planning to go. It is about 2 1/2 hours away & there is an 80% chance of rain this Saturday, praying that goes away!

Originally this was posted as an open swim practice. Then called triathlon training, no mentioning swim. When I emailed to RSVP as requested, I asked if they would be swimming (because I REALLY want to get an open water practice at this location in before my race.) this is the response I got:

"See you there. You will see GCAT flags flying by the pier. Bring your bike and other gear if you would like to practice as we show you things.  Some people will possibly swim, but it will not be GCAT sanctioned due to liability."

So my questions: What to wear? Do I wear tri shorts and top assuming swim? What other gear to bring besides bike? Everything for the real tri?

For the swim we are jumping off a little side pier off the main pier WAY out there. I live with a bunch of fishermen. I know WHAT swims around those piers. I am trying this think of this as motivation for speed. I know all of the AG will go first and then the first timers.  I have another question, Will my time start when the first group goes in the water or when my group goes in the water?

this first pic is about 1/2 way down the pier, and it is the second side thing we jump off of...

Yikes!  That is some murky, brown water!!  Where exactly is "Roll Tide"?! 

I would bring everything you'll need on race day so you can test your equipment out.

I love ocean swims.  I tend to over-think the sea creatures when I'm waiting around for my wave to start, but once you start swimming you won't give the creatures a second thought!  You'll be focusing on breathing, finding your rhythm and getting out of the water!

2013-05-08 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4733895

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Thanks for the table, Hilde!  I'm just looking at the "location" column and love how diverse our group is!!
2013-05-08 9:06 PM

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
I think I've added all the members to my friends list. If I missed anyone let me know. I'm watching the leafs and bruins (NHL hockey ) in overtime so I may have missed someone. Another fun night of floor hockey it's a good change up work out.
2013-05-08 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4734155

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

kpringle - 2013-05-08 8:53 PM Thanks for the table, Hilde!  I'm just looking at the "location" column and love how diverse our group is!!

Yikes!  That is some murky, brown water!!  Where exactly is "Roll Tide"?!

Yes!!! Thank you for the table Hilde!!!

It is Mobile Bay- it is brackish water- a mixture of salt and fresh- there can be sharks. It gets closed for swimming several times a year due to pollution- I will be detoxing after this race  

Yes I have been swimming in creeks/the ocean my whole life I can do the distance -if I don't freak worrying about fish. Surprised Honestly after reading Erin's race report I think I need to quit whining suck it up and just do it!

2013-05-08 9:11 PM

User image

New user
if a friend logged a new data in their training log, would there be a notification on my part? and how do i know if i was added or not by another member?
2013-05-08 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4734179

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

oldSAP - 2013-05-08 9:11 PM if a friend logged a new data in their training log, would there be a notification on my part? and how do i know if i was added or not by another member?

I'm pretty new to BT also, but as far as  I know you will not be notified if someone logs. You can go to someone else in the group's logs and see what they have logged. 

You would know if you were added by going to their log page and you would see your picture on the left side under friends.

2013-05-08 9:20 PM

User image

New user

thanks Melody.  i'd try browsing through our group's logs because i'm sure i'd learn a lot from it

2013-05-09 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4734191

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Yes, Charlie, Melody is right... you will not get notified if someone posts in their log, you gotta physically go there to check. Also, if you click the + sign on the left where your friends list is and where you add everyone, at the bottom there should be a list of all the people who have you as a friend... sometimes it can be enlightening, I have some people on there I have no idea who they are! 

One other thing, and this comes up everytime I have a new mentor group... if someone sends you an inspire and you want to say something back to them, you MUST click on the REPLY button, a new inspire window will open, you should see the inspire you just got, and under that, type your reply and press Submit or whatever that button says.  If you type in the box under the inspire, it goes in YOUR log and the original poster may or may not see it.  When you click and do the REPLY, it goes to THEIR log and they get a notification they have an inspire waiting for them... I LOVE seeing that red number when I open my log!

Remember, to GET inspires you have to GIVE inspires!!

2013-05-09 5:38 AM
in reply to: #4734388

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Also... the table above came out bigger than I wanted, I have a smaller version on my dashboard, I think you can copy and paste.   Oops, no you can't, here it is!

USER NAMENAMEAGE LOCATION
HildebeastHilde55 FTexas
arquilloMichelle38 FOhio
Dana_ScullyScully41 FVirginia
dubbsJen31 FPennsylvania
erinrockrunErin34 FKentucky
hoffsquaredMelanie52 FVirginia
jackflashDee39 MGeorgia
jaykayjayJanette44 FMontana
JiggerScott37 MCanada
joesJoe58 MWisconsin
kpringleKristen39 FMassachusetts
MeljoypipMelody47 FAlabama
oldSAPCharlie41 MPhillipines
rustymomAndrea43 FConnecticut
shadow67Shad45 FTennessee
snarkyElizabeth44 FCalifornia
soccermom15Janet 49 FMissouri
sulcusShawn36 MNew York
wrkinprogressAlex43 FIllinois

Edited by Hildebeast 2013-05-09 5:39 AM

2013-05-09 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4734391

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Melody had posted a swim question or observation over on her log and as I was typing her an inspire, I thought that everyone could benefit from this!  So here it is!

For what it's worth, I breathe pretty much every time on the left (I'm right handed).  My gut feeling is if you need a breath, breathe, no sense depriving yourself of oxygen!  That said, I CAN breathe on both sides, although left is more comfie for me.  It's good to be able to do this because in a race, sometimes the sun will be in your eyes, or you want to scope out the competition.  Swimming 1000 yards straight all the time will build your endurance, but it won't do anything for speed.  To get faster you need to incorporate some intervals, something like swim 50 yards/meters (up and back in a 25 yard/meter pool), rest anywhere from 10-30 seconds, repeat so that you've done 8 of them.  You've now swam 400 yards, FASTER than you would have done without the rests, and your body will begin to adapt to the speed.  Shorter rests build endurance, longer rests will build speed.  Check out a website called swimplan.com.  It used to be free, I think you can get one workout a day for free.  You can pick which strokes you would like to use, what swim toys you have, an approximate distance or time for the entire workout, etc, and it will spit outa workout for you including a warm up, drills, main set, and a cool down.  I print them out and then reuse them.  Another great website to get a really good mental picture of a perfect stroke is Swimsmooth (Google it, I'm not sure of the complete website name).  Mr. Smooth is an awesome swimmer!

2013-05-09 7:27 AM

User image

New user
Great tip on the Reply button for the inspire. I always use the box below. Next time ill use the Reply button instead.
For my swims I'm currently just trying to do slow/proper form trainings because I'm still not good enough with my technique. Should I incorporate intervals now or later?
2013-05-09 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4734405

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Hildebeast - 2013-05-09 6:00 AM

Melody had posted a swim question or observation over on her log and as I was typing her an inspire, I thought that everyone could benefit from this!  So here it is!

For what it's worth, I breathe pretty much every time on the left (I'm right handed).  My gut feeling is if you need a breath, breathe, no sense depriving yourself of oxygen!  That said, I CAN breathe on both sides, although left is more comfie for me.  It's good to be able to do this because in a race, sometimes the sun will be in your eyes, or you want to scope out the competition.  Swimming 1000 yards straight all the time will build your endurance, but it won't do anything for speed.  To get faster you need to incorporate some intervals, something like swim 50 yards/meters (up and back in a 25 yard/meter pool), rest anywhere from 10-30 seconds, repeat so that you've done 8 of them.  You've now swam 400 yards, FASTER than you would have done without the rests, and your body will begin to adapt to the speed.  Shorter rests build endurance, longer rests will build speed.  Check out a website called swimplan.com.  It used to be free, I think you can get one workout a day for free.  You can pick which strokes you would like to use, what swim toys you have, an approximate distance or time for the entire workout, etc, and it will spit outa workout for you including a warm up, drills, main set, and a cool down.  I print them out and then reuse them.  Another great website to get a really good mental picture of a perfect stroke is Swimsmooth (Google it, I'm not sure of the complete website name).  Mr. Smooth is an awesome swimmer!

x2 on the swim tips here!  Hilde is a terrific swimmer.

I have found the workouts on Sara McLarty's website helpful.  In the past I have not been very good about following a workout plan of some sort.  But lately I have been and find that I am able to swim longer and with more energy.  So I am a swim session convert!  I print out the workouts, save them, and bring them to the pool in a plastic page protector.

2013-05-09 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4734391

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Hildebeast - 2013-05-09 6:38 AM

Also... the table above came out bigger than I wanted, I have a smaller version on my dashboard, I think you can copy and paste.   Oops, no you can't, here it is!

USER NAMENAMEAGE LOCATION
HildebeastHilde55 FTexas
arquilloMichelle38 FOhio
Dana_ScullyScully41 FVirginia
dubbsJen31 FPennsylvania
erinrockrunErin34 FKentucky
hoffsquaredMelanie52 FVirginia
jackflashDee39 MGeorgia
jaykayjayJanette44 FMontana
JiggerScott37 MCanada
joesJoe58 MWisconsin
kpringleKristen39 FMassachusetts
MeljoypipMelody47 FAlabama
oldSAPCharlie41 MPhillipines
rustymomAndrea43 FConnecticut
shadow67Shad45 FTennessee
snarkyElizabeth44 FCalifornia
soccermom15Janet 49 FMissouri
sulcusShawn36 MNew York
wrkinprogressAlex43 FIllinois

Thanks Hilde!  These tables are always helpful.  I've also added everyone in the group to my friends list so you can see how terrible I've been at working out and posting over the past few months.  

Happy workouts to everyone today!

Edited by Sulcus 2013-05-09 8:43 AM
2013-05-09 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Another tip that helps me immensely with my mentor groups since I can't connect during the workday is the "Toggle e-mail notification" button in the bottom right hand corner of this thread.  If you activate it, it will send you an email whenever someone posts in this thread, which can be helpful (or overwhelming if people start talking about a whole lot of nothing).  

2013-05-09 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Melody,

I am right there with you about the creatures in the water.  I saw JAWS when I was way too young!  Even the music gives me chills.  I shuddered when I read that there were sometimes shark in the water where you will OWS.   But ... here's my story.  I live 1 hour from the pool which has limited open swim hours which seem to be designed for non-working folks.  Once the weather gets nice, I am pretty much stuck with OWS.  Of course, no oceans or gulfs here in Montana.  I have the river (a little treacherous, and often too shallow) and a murky reservoir chock full of slimy carp and catfish.  I don't like them, Sam I Am. 

Unless it is brutally hot, I swim with my wetsuit because I can't stand the idea of a fish touching me.  I have been known to hyperventilate and flail around like I am drowning when I spot something moving in the water.  My first sprint, I was most worried about embarrassing myself and crying, "Fish!" like a siren.  What happened, though, was that I discovered I liked swimming in the group because than I had friends/protectors/water thrashers.  It was completely different than solo swimming.  I did not think once about the creatures.  Now, if I could just convince 50 other people to swim in the reservoir with me when I want to train ....

2013-05-09 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4735036

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Janette, you are too funny!!  I don't worry about fish so much as SNAKES... especially water moccasins, just the thought gives me the heebie jeebies!!  I've never seen one while swimming thank god, I might never get back in the lake!
2013-05-09 5:59 PM

User image

New user
KY
Ewwwww....I am not a fish lover, either.  I remember my first OWS practice attempt.  It involved murky water; dark, massive fish-shapes lurking beneath me and lots of the flailing arms and panicking that was mentioned above, lol.  But the worst fish experience I have had was swimming into a large, dead, hard and petrified, black fish carcass in the Ohio River.  That proved to be a freakout moment.
2013-05-09 6:25 PM

User image

New user
About the OWS discussion, I am quite nervous when I can't see the bottom or when it gets deeper, not because of JAWS but because I might get tired and have to rest but won't be able too float effectively.
2013-05-09 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Hmm, I think my critter fear may be less than most.  Cool something in tri that I'm good at!  Not a big fan of snakes, but luckily where I am they are mostly harmless.  Not many dangerous fish/sharks where I'll do OWS or race either.  Good thing there aren't many spiders in OWS, LOL!

Also, I float quite well!

2013-05-09 7:23 PM

User image

New user
spider crabs live way too deep Andrea so you're safe hahaha
2013-05-09 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I guess i am just gonna have to remember I am now a BEAST!!! I have seen water moccasins several times (Lonsome Dove scene anyone?) but they generally scatter when there is a lot of commotion. 

I got a pretty big blister on my foot (bottom inner edge) toward the end of my run today. I am not sure what caused it, I have been running in the same shoes for a month or so, I dont know what to do to heal it quickly & how to avoid more....grrrrr I dont need to slack up on any training now!

2013-05-09 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4735883

User image

New user
Meljoypip - 2013-05-10 9:56 AM

I guess i am just gonna have to remember I am now a BEAST!!! I have seen water moccasins several times (Lonsome Dove scene anyone?) but they generally scatter when there is a lot of commotion. 

I got a pretty big blister on my foot (bottom inner edge) toward the end of my run today. I am not sure what caused it, I have been running in the same shoes for a month or so, I dont know what to do to heal it quickly & how to avoid more....grrrrr I dont need to slack up on any training now!

best thing i've used to heal blisters is to apply aloe vera (the plant) on the blister, and keep on re-applying when it dries.  the blister will still be there in the morning but it won't hurt anymore, and you could run again

2013-05-10 4:54 AM
in reply to: #4735957

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
oldSAP - 2013-05-09 10:06 PM 

best thing i've used to heal blisters is to apply aloe vera (the plant) on the blister, and keep on re-applying when it dries.  the blister will still be there in the morning but it won't hurt anymore, and you could run again

Awesome, thanks!  Il ove natural remedies. I only have one blister- I hope Erin and her poor feet see this!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29