BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-12-31 7:41 AM
in reply to: #625423

Regular
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Group - FULL
Wow, great information, thank you.
Sit bones, eh? hmmm... did he leave out a letter? , I don't recall this one from Anatomy & Phys. Just kidding! Great info!! THANK YOU!

2006-12-31 8:57 AM
in reply to: #637683

User image

Elite

Steph883 - 2006-12-31 7:41 AM Wow, great information, thank you. Sit bones, eh? hmmm... did he leave out a letter? , I don't recall this one from Anatomy & Phys. Just kidding! Great info!! THANK YOU!

No I didn't leave a letter out....but I guess you could call them s*it bones.

Here's a good pic of what I'm talking about.

Edited by oipolloi 2006-12-31 8:58 AM
2006-12-31 10:15 AM
in reply to: #637721

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Very cool! I am inspired to get my sore, stiff body on the bike today and try out seat positions! Thanks so much!
2006-12-31 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Everybody be safe tonight and have a Happy New Year!
2006-12-31 2:34 PM
in reply to: #637865

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Happy New year to ALL! Watch the drinking and driving thing (sorry, I have to be a mom!). Have fun tonight if any are so inclined and GO TEAM for '07!

2006-12-31 8:29 PM

Regular
My Turn:

Have a Safe and Happy New Year!

Talk to you all Next year!!

2007-01-02 11:28 PM
in reply to: #636941

User image

Veteran
Denver
susanp - 2006-12-29 6:16 PM

I know that my wind seems to get better as I warm up, at least up to a point. Maybe the run opened everything up for you and helped your lungs to work more efficiently. I am a professional trombonist, and I know that when I do deep breathing exercises or do a lot of hard playing that requires my lungs to work hard, all aspects of my playing improve. I don't know a lot of the physiology behind it, but I think warming up the "wind" is as important as warming up the muscles.
I guess the lungs just work better when they've had a chance to stretch.

I think you are definately right. I rode the bike for 29 min tonight and then hit the pool. I didn't have any issues breathing and was more relaxed. I'm thinking a good warmup before the swim is definately beneficial! Thanks for the thought.
2007-01-03 11:17 AM
in reply to: #640190

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I have a question about establishing mid to long term goals. The goal I have set for myself this year (at least the one I am focusing on) is to complete a Sprint in June. My question is-how do I ascertain whether or not this is a realistic goal for me within that particular timeframe? I have never accomplished anything on this sort of effort/distance level and so I really don't know how determine if this is an obtainable goal. I am not trying to say that I can't do it. I just don't have any idea how I will respond to that level of trainng, having never done it on this level before. I am not even concerned that much about time. I just want to be able to go into it feeling prepared to "go the distance". Why this is occuring to me now, I have no idea! I just don't want to spend money on an entry fee without having a realistic idea of whether or not I can do this.
2007-01-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: #640607

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

susanp - 2007-01-03 11:17 AM I have a question about establishing mid to long term goals. The goal I have set for myself this year (at least the one I am focusing on) is to complete a Sprint in June. My question is-how do I ascertain whether or not this is a realistic goal for me within that particular timeframe? I have never accomplished anything on this sort of effort/distance level and so I really don't know how determine if this is an obtainable goal. I am not trying to say that I can't do it. I just don't have any idea how I will respond to that level of trainng, having never done it on this level before. I am not even concerned that much about time. I just want to be able to go into it feeling prepared to "go the distance". Why this is occuring to me now, I have no idea! I just don't want to spend money on an entry fee without having a realistic idea of whether or not I can do this.

I'll kinda answer your question...Any goal can be realistic, the question really is How important is this goal (relative to other goals) to me? 

Looking over the various sprint plans here on BT, you can choose a sprint plan that averages about 3 hours per week (sprint 2x balanced) up to 7-8 hours per week (Beginner Sprint-12 week).  I haven't used either plan, so I can't tell you how different your results will be with either plan, but they are both structured to get you through that first race.  How much time are you willing to devote to training each week?  (This is where you need to be really honest with yourself...if you know you'll only spend 4 hours a week training, then you probably shouldn't pick the plan averaging 7 hours.  You'll spend most of those weeks agonizing over missed training and worried that you won't be ready.  Mentally, you'll be far more ready to race if you 90% follow the 3 hour plan than if you 50% follow a 7 hour plan.

My advice... Sign up, pay the $$, commit to your friends and family, develop a plan (hint, hint...there are some pretty good plans here that'll get you to this goal...), FOLLOW THE PLAN, and enjoy a successful race!  Go back through my earlier posts, particularly the one where I talk abou the difference between goals and expectations.  Remember, a goal is something you are willing to change current behavior to achieve.  (It'll be easier to stick to the plan with this goal!) It can be scary to make this kind of bold committment, but it works!  (Look around BT, and you'll find some great examples of this thinking.)  

Mike 

2007-01-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: #641067

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Thanks Mike! I know you are right. I guess I just don't have much of faith in my body to respond positively to the work. I suppose this is where the "rubber meets the road" and the commitment is what it is all about. I'll shoot for that this week.
2007-01-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #641173

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

susanp - 2007-01-03 4:07 PM Thanks Mike! I know you are right. I guess I just don't have much of faith in my body to respond positively to the work. I suppose this is where the "rubber meets the road" and the commitment is what it is all about. I'll shoot for that this week.

It ain't the body you have to worry about.  Get your mind around the idea that you are a triathlete and triathletes swim and bike and run...the training will bring your body around to the idea soon enough. 

2007-01-03 4:36 PM
in reply to: #641203

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
You bet! I'm workinig on that one.
2007-01-03 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
For me it started with a dream. I dream of becoming an ironman. I've always wanted to be in Hawaii competing in the Ironman. Then I saw a video of Team Hoyt and was really inspired. Then it turned into a goal. Ironman by 40. Then it was short term goal. Do my first triathlon this summer. Then I picked a race date and worked backwords. I picked the 20 week sprint training program swim focused because after my first swim I knew I had some learning to do.

I first decided to do a triathlon this last august. I went to the gym and worked really hard and was really focused. I lost weight and I injured my knee. My knee pain forced me to read and learn how to train right. After a couple times in the pool I was sooooooo frustrated, I got mad. When I get mad, I get focused. I started searching the web for anything that could help me. I'm NOT going to give up on this goal. I found this website and some others. I've kept at it. And little by little I'm seeing improvement.

McFuzz is right. It is about attitude and committment. How bad do you want that goal? If you want it bad enough, you will change your daily routine a little to accomidate the time at the gym. I told my family about my triathlon and they are planning on coming down here from Montana just to watch my first race. No pressure there! But it helps keep me motivated.

I've changed a lot of bad habits into good ones over the last couple years and this is no different. I quit drinking 4 years ago. I quit chewing tobacco 3 years ago. I made up my mind that I had to be the best example to my son that I could. Instead of sitting around watching tv, I'm at the gym. It just takes a little extra effort every day. Pretty soon it becomes a habit and people expect you to be doing it and it gets easier to find the time. My son is a huge motivator for me. He even helps me make protein shakes and smoothies.

Once you make up your mind that you are going to be a triathlete, you will accomplish your goal. Write it down on paper on purpose. Put it on your fridge. Put up some pictures of that new tri bike that you want. Dive in and become what you want to become! We have a great support system here and I'm very thankful for all of the input. It has definately helped me.

Edited by mtskibum 2007-01-03 4:38 PM
2007-01-03 5:21 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Thanks Mike !!

For those of you frustrated with swimming, check out Tammy's (tnickerson's) log today.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=5286#

2007-01-04 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Hey all, I found this article the other day on this site and it was very useful to me for shorter distance swim workouts. I just wanted to pass it along. Remember think like fish!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Michael
2007-01-05 6:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: OK, I did it...
Well, I jumped in with both feet this morning. I joined USTA and then entered the RYKA Irongirl Columbia Triathlon Sprint which will take place in Aug. 2007. I looked at the courses and they are more challenging, which is scary but if I can't do a challenging Sprint by August, then something is wrong! I have decided that I need to make the "crazy" commitment, as Mike had suggested. So...this is mine! It may not seem crazy to you guys but it will be much more than I have ever done before. Today is a rest day for me (I need it!). I think I will finally get that bike fit I've been planning, as long as they can fit me in today.
On a swimming note: torso rotation really works! Yesterday I worked on rotation, reach and getting my head down and I cut my stroke count from 23 to 21 on many of my laps. It works! Have a great day everyone!

2007-01-05 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Yea!!  and Yea!!

Pretty exciting to sign up for that race...now you have some incentive to train every week. 

Also great that the swimming is starting to come around (ha ha--rotation--come around--)!

Thanks for sharing these two impressive accomplishments!

2007-01-05 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK all...now that some of you are signed up for races, you want them to show up in the "planned races" part of your blog (not just in your goals).  This isn't a completely obvious process (or at least it wasn't for me...) so here are the steps.

Go to the "Race Log" page and click on "My Race Log"

Click on "Add Race" and it will bring up the Race Report form. 

Enter as much detail as you can about the race.  (Pay attention specifically to the official name of the race, because "Indy sprint tri" and "Indianapolis Sprint triathlon" may be the same race, but the tools here won't associate the two, so if you use the abbreviated name, it may show you as the only BT'er doing the race while 5 other BT'ers are doing the other race...)

"Save as Draft" and it'll show up in your logs and equally important you'll be included on the "racelink" so other BT'ers will know you're planning to participate. 

After the race, you can edit the report with all of the wonderful details of your adventure and when you make it public, it shows up in the Race Reports forum. 

Exciting times!!

2007-01-05 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: Bike Fit
I went to College Park Bicycles today and had a bike fit (as opposed to any other kind of fit?!). It was GREAT! I have a aluminum frame bike that I bought in 1987 and had never really had it properly fitted. It turns out that the frame might be slightly too big for me, although that is not a big problem, and my position was too stretched out. They lowered my seatpost, moved the seat forward, raised my handlebars and put a shorter handlebar stem on it. In addition, they pointed out that my chain was trashed so I let them replace it and the free-wheel. So I got a bike fit and tune-up in the same afternoon. I can't wait to ride tomorrow and see how everything feels. It is a bike day and the temps are supposed to go up to 70 degrees, as bizarre as that sounds. This is warm even for Southern MD! Anyway, for anyone who has not invested in a proper bike fit, I recommend it. I would rather spend money on that than buy a new bike right now. Take care everyone.

Edited by susanp 2007-01-05 6:53 PM
2007-01-05 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cornfield in Northern Iowa
I'm making the stop at the bike shop tomorrow morning. We have 2 good one in Mason City and I'm going to see what they can do for me. I also have a copy of Total Immersion on the way and am trying to get pool time worked into my schedule (work) which is a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be
2007-01-05 9:22 PM
in reply to: #644393

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
LIfe just intervenes! Hope you get to the pool. Have a great time at the bike shop. It was a great lesson on position for me. The woman who helped me out explained that positioning for triathletes is a lot different than for road racers, which I knew. However, I did not know the full extent. According to her, the reason triathletes ride with the seat so far forward in such a tuck is so that they are utilizing many of the same muscles that they would use on the run, thereby making the transition from bike to run a little easier. Does anyone more learned than I have anything to add to this? I thought it was very interesting.

Have a good day tomorrow!

2007-01-08 5:16 PM
in reply to: #644405

User image

Hello everyone...sorry if I have been MIA. I am still without my laptop. Haven't hooked it up at home yet. I do appreicate all of the support you have given me, this is the best thing I have joined in awhile. It really motivates me to get into shape for the race season. I'll be back and active soon. Bear with me! Have a great week.
2007-01-10 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Hi all, I have a question. Does anyone have a good nutrition plan that they are using. I have been doing some research and have found I am not getting enough protein everyday. What do you guys follow? What kind of food routine do you use? How much protein and carbs? I'm looking for real world food and advise from folks with busy lifestyles that don't have time to count and measure everything.

Thanks for the advise.

2007-01-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: #650093

Regular

Here's my mantra:

PB & J everyday!

(just kidding, although I do eat a lot of it.)

2007-01-11 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Good question Mike, and while I know all of the words in your question and understand what you're asking, I am in no way qualified to provide an answer.  My best suggestion is to poke around in the nutrition forum and ask over there. 

My diet consists of ordinary foods.

Breakfast:  bowl of cereal w/ 1% milk, toast, coffee

Lunch:  Leftovers (chili-mac today), raisins, piece of fruit (orange today)

Dinner:  Midwestern staples (casseroles, spaghetti, occasional meat-potato-vegetable), vegetables, glass of 1% milk. 

Don't plan for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks, but I will plan for a breakfast bar or granola bar post-early-AM-swims.  (I'll get hungry after swimming which is made worse by eating a very early breakfast.

I don't take a regular multivitamin or suppliment, although I have taken garlic and potassium supplements in the past. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7