BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2006-12-26 5:04 PM
in reply to: #625443

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Artemis's Group - FULL
I finally began working out. Yes I actually even worked out on Christmas Day... had to take the dog out for a walk. I went to the nearby football stadium with the dog. The temptation was too much and so I began running again. I ran one mile on Christmas and another two today. I am already planning the diet to get going again after all the holiday food.

Hope everyone is well and enjoyed the holidays!

Kelli

2006-12-26 5:23 PM
in reply to: #633552

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations, Kelli!!!  It's great that you're able to run again.  Try to remember not to push yourself too hard - wouldn't want you to get injured again. 
2006-12-26 6:17 PM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks Jen for the support and encouragement.

The surgery was for a tumor (benign) in the abdomen, not sports related. I actually worked out until a day before the surgery. I felt so used to the problems since I have had it apparently for a bit (even during my summer tri.s). I planned the surgery during the off season deliberately to give myself enough time to get back into shape again.

Yesterday it felt so good to be out and doing something. I ran on the track that has a soft cushion surface. I took it slow but steady. I felt that I had much more endurance than a mile. Previous to the surgery I was up to about 4 miles. Now I will start up the ladder again. I am beginning around 2. Plan to stay there until I get more grounded to working out again. (a few weeks) Then add 1/2 every two weeks. I am attempting to build until 7 miles for an Olympic Tri this summer. I want to try a 10k also sometime.

So that is the plan... what do you think?

Edited by celticblde05 2006-12-26 6:19 PM
2006-12-26 6:46 PM

New user

Subject: Post-holiday gearing up!
I did run over the weekend - about 25 minutes, then a break (to chat w/ my mom!) and then another few minutes. I don't know how far I covered or my pace, but I felt OK. That was Saturday - haven't done anything except my physical therapy since then, but tomorrow will swim (if the pool's open) or bike (if it's not.) I"m taking a week off of weight training to give my elbow time to feel better - I think I've got tendinitis, maybe from leaning too hard on the handlebars in spinning? (There's no spinning this week, so that's good timing.)

The best news: I haven't gained any weight this season (though I haven't lost any since Halloween!) TIme to get back in the groove!

What brand of tights or pants do you recommend for winter biking and cycling - down to about 30 degrees? I can only afford one pair, and I'm a large size (18 or so) so it has to come in XL!

Thanks everyone!
2006-12-26 8:34 PM
in reply to: #633612

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Post-holiday gearing up!
Hey Jenny,

Great job! Remember muscle weighs more than fat.

For biking tights, I actually use running tights with biker shorts. That way I have an item I can use for two sports. Depending on which shorts I use, I either put them under or over the tights. Works well for me. For most all of my Tri stuff I purchase them from an online sight called www.teamestrogen.com. I have purchased bike clothes and wet suit from them and highly recommend them. They have sizes for all shapes. Sorry guys, it only sells items for women.

Edited by celticblde05 2006-12-26 8:37 PM
2006-12-27 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Kelli - great job on getting out there and running again! That has to feel great!!! I like your idea of building up slowly - it's how I built up for my first 1/2 marathon - and had no problems at all! Instead of doing a 1/2 mile extra every week, I stepped up a mile every two weeks until I hit 5 miles. After that I kept my weekday miles around 4-6, and focused on increasing my long runs on the weekend.

I found out last night at work (the specialty shoe store for runners) that I can get awesome discounts directly from the manufacturer. I am getting a Timex Bodylink (HRM + GPS) for $120 + tax + S/H!!! NICE!

2006-12-27 6:43 PM

New user

Wow, I'm amazed that you could add a mile every 2 weeks - I'm lucky if I can add 2 minutes every 2 weeks! Running has always been torturous for me, honestly! The longest I've ever run is 3.5 miles after months of training (and being at a good weight, too). I just think some people aren't built for it!

Here's a question for everyone: what swimming drills have you foudn most effective, and do you really do length after length doing the drill? I feel like I've learned many of the techniques taught by Total Immersion (just from reading and watching the online videos) - I look down, I press my chest forward, I rotate my hips, my hand enters the water at my goggle line... I typically do a length in 12-13 strokes, but with all that I'm still unbelievably slow!
2006-12-27 7:08 PM
in reply to: #634682

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jenny,

What is your swimming ability level?
2006-12-27 7:42 PM

New user

I don't know how to describe it. I can swim for 25-30 minutes freestyle, with occasional short rests, very slowly (100m in 3.5 minutes, today, when I checked -all the little old ladies at the pool blow right by me!.) My technique is a lot better than it was when I started - I keep my head down, rotate my hips, etc... (based on what I've recently read) - a woman I know at the pool commented on how much I've improved recently. I can't do flip turns. Otherwise, I have no fear of the water, breathe mostly on one side on every stroke but occasionallly practice bilateral...(I can do it but can't get the rhythm right so I don't get out of breath.)

Does that help?
2006-12-27 8:57 PM
in reply to: #634725

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jenny,

This is probably the only sport I can actually give advice on (besides downhill skiing) with some knowledge (14 years competitive swimming with some coaching experience). There are a variety of drills depending on your focus for that session.

GOING FASTER:

*short speed workouts with focus on speed (85-100% effort, 25 to 50 yards, timed). Let's say 5 x 50 on 90 with first length at 85% and 2nd at 95%. That means (5) 50 yard sprints every 90 seconds with 85-95% effort. (Adjust the timing according to your level, but do every 50 with the same time)

STROKE DRILLS:

*single-arm swimming (side stroke, swim on one side down and the opposite back)
*fingertip drag (every stroke drag your fingers across the water instead of above)
*tarzan swim (swim with your head out of the water. This will prepare you for sighting the horizon during open water)
*fist swimming (close your hands and do this for an entire set. Then repeat the same amount with your fists open)

BREATHING DRILLS:

*4-3-2-1. Do 100 yards with each 25 breathing every 4th stroke then 3rd then 2nd then every. (I do about 4 to 6 of these total)

Hopefully these will help. I don't recommend them all in one practice. I structure my workouts with a warm-up, drill set, main set and cool-down. Like running, I only do a race or distance swim once a week. The other two days I am doing practices with drills.

2006-12-27 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Kelli - another swim question for you, since I finally figured out how to breath while swimming without drinking half the pool in: if I'm only swimming 2-3 times a week, and I'm only working on building my endurance/distance right now, would you recommend some drills once a week, or should I just focus on the distances in my training plan each week (the plan has me adding 50m every week - no drills)?

Jenny - I came from a running background (track in HS), so running was not new to me. I'll be honest, though, it was a little tough at times, when I started running again. I was committed though, b/c I only had 5 months to go from 0 to a half marathon. When I get a free afternoon (HA!) I'll go through and add all my 1/2 marathon training to my logs so that everyone can see it.

2006-12-27 9:23 PM
in reply to: #634789

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
jcdenton2000 - 2006-12-27 9:11 PM

Kelli - another swim question for you, since I finally figured out how to breath while swimming without drinking half the pool in: if I'm only swimming 2-3 times a week, and I'm only working on building my endurance/distance right now, would you recommend some drills once a week, or should I just focus on the distances in my training plan each week (the plan has me adding 50m every week - no drills)?

Jenny - I came from a running background (track in HS), so running was not new to me. I'll be honest, though, it was a little tough at times, when I started running again. I was committed though, b/c I only had 5 months to go from 0 to a half marathon. When I get a free afternoon (HA!) I'll go through and add all my 1/2 marathon training to my logs so that everyone can see it.

======================
Did you ask about the swimming Robert? Sorry about that if it was you.

Yes I recommend drills during the swim. Swimming is unlike the other two sports, it is the most technical. I would drill twice and distance once if there are 3 practices a week. Building endurance with a bad stroke could do more damage. It is not the same as running.

I would structure every workout to include some distance and drills. As an advanced swimmer, I do this for every workout. You will find that endurance comes as your stroke becomes stronger.
2006-12-27 9:27 PM
in reply to: #633601

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Adding a 1/2 mile each week?  It seems like a good plan.  Usually, the standard wisdom is to increase about 10% each week, but that's not really very much when you are starting out.  I increase distance by time, but that's sometimes hard when you want to be able to run a set distance.  It's really important to schedule rest weeks where you don't build any distance and you actually decrease a little bit. 

celticblde05 - 2006-12-26 7:17 PM Thanks Jen for the support and encouragement. The surgery was for a tumor (benign) in the abdomen, not sports related. I actually worked out until a day before the surgery. I felt so used to the problems since I have had it apparently for a bit (even during my summer tri.s). I planned the surgery during the off season deliberately to give myself enough time to get back into shape again. Yesterday it felt so good to be out and doing something. I ran on the track that has a soft cushion surface. I took it slow but steady. I felt that I had much more endurance than a mile. Previous to the surgery I was up to about 4 miles. Now I will start up the ladder again. I am beginning around 2. Plan to stay there until I get more grounded to working out again. (a few weeks) Then add 1/2 every two weeks. I am attempting to build until 7 miles for an Olympic Tri this summer. I want to try a 10k also sometime. So that is the plan... what do you think?

2006-12-27 9:31 PM
in reply to: #633612

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Post-holiday gearing up!

Jenny, congratulations on not gaining any weight!!  That's a big accomplishment this time of year! Keep it up. 

I have a tendonitis in one of my elbows from biking, too.  I think I got it because I have a tendency to lock my elbows when I am riding and that puts too much strain on the  joint.  Try to relax a bit when you are cycling rather than locking your elbows.  Otherwise, you can use rest, ice, and ibuprofen until it hurts less.

I have a pair of Sugoi tights that I really like for running.  They've held up well and they aren't that shiny material - more matte than regular spandex.  Is there a local place you can go and try some on?  It might be a little more expensive, but it's usually worth it to make sure that you're getting a pair that you like. 

jahansell - 2006-12-26 7:46 PM I did run over the weekend - about 25 minutes, then a break (to chat w/ my mom!) and then another few minutes. I don't know how far I covered or my pace, but I felt OK. That was Saturday - haven't done anything except my physical therapy since then, but tomorrow will swim (if the pool's open) or bike (if it's not.) I"m taking a week off of weight training to give my elbow time to feel better - I think I've got tendinitis, maybe from leaning too hard on the handlebars in spinning? (There's no spinning this week, so that's good timing.) The best news: I haven't gained any weight this season (though I haven't lost any since Halloween!) TIme to get back in the groove! What brand of tights or pants do you recommend for winter biking and cycling - down to about 30 degrees? I can only afford one pair, and I'm a large size (18 or so) so it has to come in XL! Thanks everyone!

2006-12-27 9:34 PM
in reply to: #634797

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I don't have quite as much swimming experience as Kelli, but I have swam competitively a lot.  Drills are pretty important.  They help increase speed and will help you build endurance.  But, more importantly, I've found that it's easier to focus on your form for shorter periods of time, so you'll be able to maintain form usually through the drill.  Besides, just swimming distance can get really boring.   

celticblde05 - 2006-12-27 10:23 PM ====================== Did you ask about the swimming Robert? Sorry about that if it was you. Yes I recommend drills during the swim. Swimming is unlike the other two sports, it is the most technical. I would drill twice and distance once if there are 3 practices a week. Building endurance with a bad stroke could do more damage. It is not the same as running. I would structure every workout to include some distance and drills. As an advanced swimmer, I do this for every workout. You will find that endurance comes as your stroke becomes stronger.

2006-12-27 9:36 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

So, I was thinking that with the New Year coming up, we should each set some goals for the year - some more short term and some more long term.  I know that telling other people means I'll be more likely to stick with them and I think that we can provide encouragement and advice to each other along the way.

What do you guys think? 

2006-12-27 9:44 PM
in reply to: #634800

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Artemis - 2006-12-27 9:27 PM

Adding a 1/2 mile each week? It seems like a good plan. Usually, the standard wisdom is to increase about 10% each week, but that's not really very much when you are starting out. I increase distance by time, but that's sometimes hard when you want to be able to run a set distance. It's really important to schedule rest weeks where you don't build any distance and you actually decrease a little bit.

celticblde05 - 2006-12-26 7:17 PM Thanks Jen for the support and encouragement. The surgery was for a tumor (benign) in the abdomen, not sports related. I actually worked out until a day before the surgery. I felt so used to the problems since I have had it apparently for a bit (even during my summer tri.s). I planned the surgery during the off season deliberately to give myself enough time to get back into shape again. Yesterday it felt so good to be out and doing something. I ran on the track that has a soft cushion surface. I took it slow but steady. I felt that I had much more endurance than a mile. Previous to the surgery I was up to about 4 miles. Now I will start up the ladder again. I am beginning around 2. Plan to stay there until I get more grounded to working out again. (a few weeks) Then add 1/2 every two weeks. I am attempting to build until 7 miles for an Olympic Tri this summer. I want to try a 10k also sometime. So that is the plan... what do you think?

I took today off from running and just did a good pace walk with the dog. I definitely like the idea of increasing by time more than distance. Running I feel anxious about. I don't have that much confidence with it. I think the biggest thing is that I need to do it more often. When I am back on my schedule (work and working out) I don't run enough. If it was lighter longer, I would do it when I get home. But it is difficult when it is dark so early. I am going to try around the block anyway.
2006-12-27 9:45 PM
in reply to: #634809

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Artemis - 2006-12-27 9:36 PM

<p>So, I was thinking that with the New Year coming up, we should each set some goals for the year - some more short term and some more long term. I know that telling other people means I'll be more likely to stick with them and I think that we can provide encouragement and advice to each other along the way. </p><p>What do you guys think? </p>

I am with you on this one. Let's do this as a group!
2006-12-27 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Jen - I like the idea of setting goals and sharing them here.

Here are my goals for 2007:

1. Train for, and complete, my first sprint triathlon
I have a couple picked out: one in May, and one in June (Kansas City Corporate Challenge).
2. Complete 2-3 sprint triathlons
As I stated above, I found one in May, June, and July.
3. Break 2:00:00 at the KC Half Marathon in October

Long-term goals:
Sprint distance tris this year
Full Marathon in 2008
Olympic distance tris in 2008
HIM in 2009
IM in 2010
2006-12-27 10:33 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Here are my goals:

Goals for 2007

• Finish 1/2 Marathon sub 2:30:00
  • Complete first Marathon
  • Finish Sprint Tri sub 1:30:00
  • Finish Oly Tri sub 4:00:00
  • Lose 15 pounds

Long-Term Goals

• Complete a HIM in 2008
  • Complete an IM by 2010 
2006-12-28 6:22 AM

New user

My goal: to build up my endurance so I can do a Sprint Tri in June
To lose 20 pounds
After that...who knows! I have a short attention span...maybe I'll move on to something completely different

2006-12-28 6:47 AM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Kelli's Goals

*Sprint Tri around 1:30 for all (Plan to do 3-4 this season)
*Get 5K times under 30 min.
*Get 1/2 mile swim to 12 min.
*Get hills on bike to no less than 13 RPM
*Work on Tri nutrition so I won't burn out before run

*Do Olympic Tri (June ?)
*Complete 10K and work towards 1/2 marathon
*Lose 3 sizes... weight is relative as muscle weighs more.

Edited by celticblde05 2006-12-28 6:48 AM
2006-12-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: #634923

User image

Regular
Wow, I didn't read the board yesterday and had a lot of catching up to do!

As for the swimming drills conversation - I am going to be getting myself some lessons and essentially starting from scratch. I am currently just swimming my time in backstroke to get the cardiovascluar/musclular work in. I am hoping to be doing some drills by mid-January or early February.

As for goals:

Short Term Goals:
- Stick to, and complete the 20 wk 2x Balanced Sprint Training Plan
- Run 5K (race distance)
- Bike 12 mi (race distance)
- Take swimming lessons
- Strength train 2-3x a week

Long Term Goals:
- Complete a sprint tri in 07
- Complete an olympic tri in 08

2006-12-28 5:25 PM

New user

Subject: Beginners???
I have to say, there are some people in our group who aren't exactly beginners at least by my definition! Not that I mind - I'll enjoy following their advanced adventures and learning from them but it's not what I expected when I joined!

Today I went to spinning (50 minutes, 10.5 "miles") and really pushed myself!
2006-12-28 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Well, I'll drop in briefly before I collapse and simply that water aerobics is WAY more difficult than I thought. My wonderful male ego thought it would be a breeze. HA! :-D Feel the burn! I hope everyone had a great day today either resting or getting in a good workout.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19