Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: #635797

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Nob's Group - FULL
hey I am here and reading.
it's a lot to get my head around. not changing too much with my diet. I need to be thinking more about eating regularly though. Breakfast for sure.
I'm not so much looking to lose weight. I am 5 4 and 125. I would like to build muscle mass - not in a big way - just stronger. I suppose I need to look at my protein intake more than anything else.
I set up a physical for next week because I seem to be dealing with some arthritis and would like the reassurance that I am ok to do this. After all - I'm 40 now.

2007-01-04 11:36 PM
in reply to: #642912

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
dave699 - 2007-01-04 7:12 PM
I am damn glad I took the time to EAT WELL after my run before going out to bike - Clif Bar, half a sweet potato, leftover mac 'n' cheese, bucket of water. On the bike - Clif Bar, 1 bottle of Gatorade Endurance, bike bottle of water. Post-ride - Clif Bar, half a bottle of Gatorade. Good dinner two hours later. Snack a few minutes ago... it doesn't end.

Just checking, suspect you guys know this already but it bears repeating, the "gylcogen window", the time you want to concentrate on refueling, is the 15 to 60 minutes after a workout. You have to recover to get stronger. Those 45 minutes right after your workout are the most important of any workout time. That glycogen window and the rest built into your schedule are the 2 halfs that allows you to build strength/muscle and become stronger. It is NOT the workout. Carbs are the food of choice to get you through any workout. Watch the gels and power bars as they are more likely to be a sugar, roller coaster high.

Delay your meals or go without rest (basically enough sleep to produce the required human growth hormore/seratonin) and you will take much longer to get stronger or worse case scenario you won't get stronger at all.

Skim milk and chocolate syrup is a perfect recovery drink to refill the glycogen tank depleted during your workout. amazing just how good that little cocktail really is for you and cheap) Eat exactly what you need at the right time. You'll be way ahead of the game.

If you are looking to get stronger in specific areas you'll have to add another more specific workout to your good nutrition. That workout is weight training. Pick the area and hit the wieghts 3 times a week. Again with a prep stage to decrease injuries but if what if you are looking is to up your strength you'll need heavy weights, 3 or 4 sets with 4/10 reps. Less weight and higher reps is for endurance.

We all drink enough water right?

Hey I actually made my own logs and race history public yesterday and now I see that some of "us" are a little bashful with the weight logs What gives?

Edited by Nob 2007-01-04 11:41 PM
2007-01-05 3:56 AM

I don't own a scale, or I'd post it. I was thinking of getting one of the whiz-bang scales from Bed, Bath, and Beyond or such - the ones that tell you what your BF% is, your muscle mass, where your lost car keys are, etc. - but figured before I spent money on them there were other things tri-specific I wanted first.

There's an old-fashioned doctor's scale in the locker room at work... I'll try to remember to use that everyday.
2007-01-05 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
For those that haven't noticed the "?" icon in you calendar log or the red # in your blog, each is a question to you from another member.

B,B&B? We picked up one of those scales but went with the IM brand @ REI. It won't tell you where your keys are. This one is fairly accurate, as it was very close to what I was tested with Sports Medecine Doc. Worth the money? May be not. Weight is just one data point to log and keep track of and a indicator of where you are at..and where you are going.

Funny what 5# will do for you one way or the other on a hard climb though.

Edited by Nob 2007-01-05 11:41 AM
2007-01-05 3:51 PM

Hey - I'm still here! My internet went out on me for yesterday and I had no time to check at work. I'm playing catch-up here, but the nutrition stuff is right up my alley so I'll be reading that asap!

I would like to say that I have done some kind of work out everyday this week and I'm feeling really good right now!

Hope to get a swim in tomorrow...
2007-01-05 5:38 PM
in reply to: #644089

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
fliegenpilz - 2007-01-05 1:51 PM

I would like to say that I have done some kind of work out everyday this week and I'm feeling really good right now!

Hope to get a swim in tomorrow...

MUST BE NICE TO HAVE GOOD WEATHER.... WE ARE SCHEDULED FOR RAIN FOR THE NEXT 10 days AGAIN!!

2007-01-05 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Ya, looks bad over there on the lake. Here on Tiger Mtn we have been able to get 7 days straight in. Some of that was even outdoors and not in the rain Going for 9 in a roll before a day off.

[edit]

OK, it is looking a little iffy tonight for a LS run in the morning...raining buckets and windy here. But our power is still on at the moment which is a nice change.

Edited by Nob 2007-01-05 10:40 PM
2007-01-06 11:39 PM

So I know that it is important to rest and let the body rebuild, and tomorrow is my day of rest and no workout. But can I go on a walk or do yoga? I feel like I should do something...
2007-01-07 1:47 AM
in reply to: #645133

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
You bet! Rest and recovery days can be almost anything. A light bike ride, walk in the park or around the neighborhood, time in the sauna and hot tub, a refreshing swim or yoga would be perfect. Just make for some quality down time. You'll heal faster and come back with more energy and stronger for the next go around.
2007-01-07 1:25 PM

Sorry that I have been away from the computer for the last several days. I had my first 2 days off work in a row since before Thanksgiving, so I just wanted to get away from the computer for a while. I just updated my training log. The last two days I got in 2 rides of oer 20 miles. I am going to go for a swim and a run after the Jets game. So far my training has been decent though after biking for the last two days I am thinking a half-ironman in April might be a little much. Maybe a Olympic distance would be a little better.
2007-01-07 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I think that is a good call Trey. An Oly early in the season will set you up for a 1/2 IM later on. You'll have the pace and diet info sorted out a bit better and enjoy both races more is my take on it. Stay on that bike it will offer huge rewards.

I see everyone has had a good week of training. Congrads to all.

Although with all my excitment to start training more I had bigger goals
than I accomplished for the week. It was the best week of training I have had since Sept so I can't complain too much. Now the question, "can I continue at that level and up the volume for my first goal, a 1/2 mary end of March?"

How were your expectations met? Better or worse than expected?
Have you been able to better define your goals for the up coming year?

Steve, aka "swbkrun" has started his own mentoring program as well. Good luck to his new group!

Edited by Nob 2007-01-07 6:54 PM

2007-01-08 8:21 AM

Chattanooga, TN
I hope everyone had a good weekend! I felt I had a good starting week of training and I am going to continue to just build a base until February. I have finally completed my training schedule. I am doing this with September 1/2 IM in mind, but wanted to get ready for the first sprint at the end of May. I think after the sprint I will cut my training from 6 days to 5 days.

I have attached my schedule if anyone would like to see it. The Tuesday swim is a triathlon swim class taught at my gym. Also, the run on Sunday will most likely be completed on Saturday.

Attachments
----------------
2007 Tri Training.xls (50KB - 59 downloads)
2007-01-08 10:50 AM

Here are my 3 goals for the week:
1. Train more consistently
2. Eat more healthy
3. Get used to pushing harder on the bike (this will be done by work on the trainer to a spinervals)
2007-01-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #645562

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Nob - 2007-01-07 4:30 PM

Steve, aka "swbkrun" has started his own mentoring program as well. Good luck to his new group!

I am still going to "Lurk" if that is ok?
2007-01-08 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
FWIW the DVDs like Spinervals and Carmicheal programs are fun and very good bike trsaining.

Goals and plans?

I have race goals and a yearly plan but I am terrible at having weekly goals. Too many things get in the way...like life. So instead I work on just getting a specific amount of free time to train every day. My new weekly goal of 2500/100/15 is a tough one for me right now with short days and bad weather. With our weather here (Puget Sound/ Seattle) I also try to work my schedule around the weather. Luckily I am self employed so I have that luxury for the most part. When it is dry I ride, when it is not raining I run, when it is terrible I'll swim or spin indoors. That is my 5 or 6 day a week program for the the next 2 or 3 months.

First event of the year is a 38 mile local group ride called Chilly Hilly on Feb 25. Then a 1/2 marathon end of March. A few road races and TTs up till the first Tri. First Tri race of the season will be an Oly and a Sprint while I am still working my base program. I'll taper for those 2 races the end of May/ 1st of June and from that point I'll be building into July and hopefully peaking in mid July thru Aug. which will be my A race.

Here is my long term plan. It is very similar to last year but cutting a couple of long distance races and dbl centuries. But adding a bunch of running early season to over come some of my limiter. Bike leg is my strongest performance. If my goals aren't being met on the bike I'll add speed, climbing and dbl centuries as needed to get back on track during the build phase in June. The weekly and monthly goals define what I have to do for base to complete that section comfortably.

My base building is Feb to May 15
May 15 to June 2, I do two races (oly and Sprint) and a taper.
June3 to July 10 the volume and intensity go up to build strength and speed
July 14 first A race with a taper. Peak through Aug 4st with 2nd A race and another taper.
Back to maintainance base to finish the Tri season in late Sept.

All of you should have a long term calendar written out soon. The weekly, then daily workouts are the last to be filled in. As you can see I stop at weekly. I use the "base, build, peak" format to defind my weekly goals but leave the daily program very flexiable past that.
That gives me time for an additional bike ride or race or some climbing on anything but the 2 or 3 weeks I am trying to peak for specific races.

Many times I have my best performances late in the season after my A races as my form contiinues to build into the fall.

Base (all C races)
Feb 24 Chilly Hilly
March 3 Bike TT
10 bike RR
24 1/2 mary
31 Sprint Duo
April 7 bike TT
14 1/2 mary
21 Oly duo
28 Oly duo
May 5 15K race
12 1/ 2 mary

Taper and race
May 26 Oly B
June 2 sprint C

Build
July 9
16 century ride
23 100M adventure race B
July 7 1/2 IM and a Sprint C

Taper & Peak
July 14 Sprint A
21 10K /5K
Taper
28 6K
Peak
Aug 4 1/2 IM A

base (all C races)
Aug 11
18 Sprint
25 Sprint / century ride
Sept 1
8 Sprint/ hill climb
15 1/2 IM
29 1/2 IM

off season Oct 6
13 5K
20 5K
back to base Nov

Edited by Nob 2007-01-08 4:16 PM
2007-01-08 4:08 PM

Thanks for the example schedule! That will help me lay mine out, I think. My issues are still personal life conflicts - I am coaching during the spring and our season isn't set in stone yet, so I can't quite settle on race dates. Also, I am not sure where I will be living this summer or fall, so I don't know what to do about planning that out. *sigh*

Anyway, I have decided to do a 5K in March, so at least I've got that. I'm off to the gym now, but I'll get started on that year-plan!

2007-01-08 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: Good!
You're welcome. Hope that helps everyone.

Not the schedule all will want to duplicate. You'll not likely have the best race results. I like the competition so I race a lot. But I could do better by racing less and doing more specific training in each phase of base, build, peak. I also work in a lot of rest for myself and when in doubt I take a day off to recoup.

Major focus of my schedule which isn't high lighted is weight loss. So I try to keep a carrot out there for me to aspire to. Weight loss is simple, eat less work more

Edited by Nob 2007-01-08 4:44 PM
2007-01-08 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: dumb dbl post

Edited by Nob 2007-01-08 4:45 PM
2007-01-10 4:40 AM

Hey folks. I have scheduled two races (sprint on 4/22, oly on 6/24). I am doing a 12-wk beginner plan leading up to the sprint and then an 8-wk oly plan for the next race. To complicate things, I will be traveling from late Feb through Mar.

Can't take the bike, but I should be able to run almost daily and can probably find exercise (gym-type) bikes, elliptical trainers, and maybe a pool... maybe. I might try to bastardize a run-focused plan during that time period.

At the least, it gives me about two weeks prior to the sprint here at home where I can train hard and then taper a week prior to the race. After that it should be smooth sailing to the oly.

Thoughts?
2007-01-10 12:11 PM
in reply to: #648689

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
dave699 - 2007-01-10 2:40 AM

I am doing a 12-wk beginner plan leading up to the sprint and then an 8-wk oly plan for the next race.

Looks like a perfect strategy for the time frames.

I will be traveling from late Feb through Mar
should be able to run almost daily and can probably find exercise (gym-type) bikes

You'll still have enough time to get on the bike when you get home. Just switch your focus to the bike when it becomes available that last month. If you have a indoor trainer that would be a good time to work with some of the better training tapes to make the most of your bike workouts in a controlled environment in addition to doing the mileage outdoors.

might try to bastardize a run-focused plan during that time period.

Another good idea.

gives me about two weeks prior to the sprint here at home where I can train hard and then taper a week prior to the race.

If this is your first taper becareful not to over do it. You might want to try some very light speed work (very short sprints on the bike and run) in the last few days before the race so you don't feel heavy. Take the day or two before the race off and then enjoy your hard work.

2007-01-10 4:05 PM

Sounds good! Thanks for the response. I feel faster already.

"I'm here to find Nob."
"Hmmm, Nob you seek? Great Jedi. Mmmm."

(YODA_T_004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
YODA_T_004.jpg (13KB - 50 downloads)

2007-01-11 6:04 PM

Nice.
2007-01-12 10:48 AM

How is everyone's training week going so far? I have been consistent with my biking and strength training this week. I will probably add a run tomm. afternoon and then do a run on Sunday. I have a 44 mile ride planned for tomm. morning. This will be my longest ride that I have ever done so I am little nervous.
2007-01-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: #652148

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Good job Trey!

It is cool you are getting into the bike. You'll find that a 44 mile ride goes very quickly. Just take a couple of water bottles in the bike cages and a little food along. Treat it is a 3hr run that you can actually eat and drink on while working out and you'll be fine.

The bike is the only real place you can hydrate enough to keep up and take in a good dose of calories during a race. I still am no where close to the amounts they suggest on fluid intake or food. But I am getting better. The bike training rides are a good place to start doing it "right".

Wednesday morning it was 50 degrees here with a big cold front coming in. (snow is rare here) I was able to get a short spin in outside before the rain, then snow started. Been in the 20s since with ice and a bit of snow on the ground. It is finally clear again though. My week has been terrible for training. (read finally gave up and have done nothing but work) After looking at everyone's logs I ma thinking a LSD run is a good idea this morning.

By the looks of the logs you have all done well. I'm the big slacker this week!

I also reopened the group, hoping that we'll snag a couple of new members and some additional group energy.
2007-01-12 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: RE: Nob's Group - OPEN
I doubt anyone is letting the weather dictate what their training is. But it does get tiresome working around it this time of year. Got me thinking about what my favorite work outs are. Here are 3 at the top of my list. What are yours?

1st..all time favorite. Sunny day with temps in the low 70s. On a good piece of rock with no wind. Long pants are comfortable but so is a t-shirt or no shirt. About 1000 feet of moderate crack climbing. Say a good mix between 5.7 and 5.10a on 6 or 7 pitches. Obviously a classic.

#2 This is a close second. Again sunny but this time in the mid '60s. No wind would be nice.
50m circuit with rollers and several 1000' to 2000' climbs. make it 4 or 5 hrs with all the climbing. Couple of the climbs up to 15% or so, may be a lil' harder for a tiny bit. No traffic and lots of curves. Perfect weather for a set of bib tights and a log sleeved wool jersy. Not too much that you die from heat on the climbs or freeze your azz off coming down.

#3...The key here is clean water. Gotta be a lake with crystal clean water that actually tastes good, great visuals and big enough to get an hr swim in without swimming in circles. No motor traffic. Just the right water temp that a wet suit feels good but never hot.

Lucky for me all three are close at hand locally.

Edited by Nob 2007-01-12 5:28 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nob's Group - FULLl Rss Feed  

of 5