Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-12-18 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1088223

User image

Regular
Lafayette, LA
Subject: RE: James G Group - CLOSED
Planning is always an important part of time management. Plan your day, Plan your week, Plan your month. Also let your family know your plans, that way there are no last minute surprises. Adjust your plans a necessary if need be.

Mitch

2007-12-19 11:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Mitch bang on buddy about the planning there is a saying.

"Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance" Remeber the 5 P's!

2007-12-19 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1109691

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

I have to agree with both the planning and the morning workouts if possible. I know personally,  if I don't know what I'm oging to do for the day, and get it done early...its probably not getting done.

Rarely, I'm do my swims at night, so the kids can go swim too, but generally speaking I need to be done before noon, or I'mm find a reason why I just can't get it done today.

2007-12-19 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1109691

User image

Elite
jamesG - 2007-12-19 12:11 PM

Mitch bang on buddy about the planning there is a saying.

"Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance" Remeber the 5 P's!

I learned the 7'Ps

"Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents -Poor Performance"
2007-12-19 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Hey all:

I have to agree with the early morning workouts and the planning. The other thing I recommend is finding someone to train with. I am fortunate enough to have my sister and my mother (and God bless her because she is 62 and the inspiration for my workouts). We try to run together at least a couple of times a week and my sister and I bike together on the weekends. They really motivate me to get out of bed. It is always easier to get going and make the time when you know you have that commitment not only to working out but that someone is counting on you to be there. I have always found working out with a group, friend, family member or dog always motivates me to get it done.

Just a thought. Thanks for all the hard work James and for the inspiration everyone. I cant complain too much about the cold in Vegas - it is only 47 degrees here and no snow (but cold for us desert girls).

Molly
2007-12-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1107740

New user

Good info on the heart zone's, at this point I am taking the info off of the machines I am using so I am not totally convinced that these numbers are accurate. Having a conversation is not really a difficult thing to accomplish. I will be getting my own heart monitor once I get this body up and running well!

My workouts have been shelved for a few days. I woke up monday with the starts of the flu/cold/crud and it is running rampant in the house. With the holidays coming up and my wife just having surgery I think it best that I recover 100% before I try and overdo it.

2007-12-20 9:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Molly - Very good point on the training with others and the group  training. I train and race with a tri group. very good for motivatation meeting new people and learning off people who know more than you. It is a double edged sword though as soon as you train with someone else you are training not at your level. i.e. you may want to do an easy Zone 2 ride but their Zone 2 ride is 2mph faster than yours before you know it you are in Zone 4 busting your butt not training to your program. I had thsi problem a lot when I first started.

Tom - Good thinking on the cold. Some good advice is if it is in your head i.e. head cold then you can continue to train. The minute it get's into your chest and lungs then stop training and rest until you are better.

I am thinking for next article a Swimming piece. I was thinking of covering off the key components of swimming and then maybe we can focus on drills every week to address each part of the swimming process i.e. kick, balance, stroke, streamlining. Does this work? Or would you rather I wrote about something else?

2007-12-20 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Lafayette, LA
Swimming Drills would be a great topic. Like most other Tri Newbies, I am struggling with the swim. I would like to know some drills to work on.

Thanks,
Mitch
2007-12-20 5:25 PM

User image

Elite
Last night I had a bad sinus headache, but I am looking to do 3 hours on the trainer tonight. I say anything about swimming would be great to read. I am looking to do TI the end of January, and start swimming again in the beginning of January.
2007-12-20 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
I'm a fan of Total Immersion. I got the DVD from the library and watched it about five times and took notes. When I go swim, I start every session with drills, following the order in the DVD. I haven't tried the TI books, but am thinking about them for a more in depth stroke analysis.

I could always swim, but not for very long. I was convinced I was a sea rock and couldn't float. Watching TI the first time, I was amazed at how simple balance was in the water and how it related to buoyancy. My first time in the pool after seeing it I tried to balance and had a "holy $%#" moment.

Now that I "get it", I spend my time trying to get more and more comfortable in the water (I always fought the water to swim) and trying a relaxed swim. I will focus more on distance and take a few lessons when I reach a comfortable point.
2007-12-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1112639

New user

What am I doing to cause my toes/ front feet to go numb when I ride? It is typically after about 5 miles, either on a stationary or regular road bike. It may be just too much weight, but at 6-3 215 its not like Im carrying excesive pounds. I wear my normal running shoes with a pair of socks. Haven't looked into biking shoes as this my first attempt at any serious biking.

Any recommendations besides amputation?

Have a great weekend and A MERRY CHRISTMAS to all who celebrate it.

2007-12-21 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
Probably has to do with how you position your feet or how tight your shoes are. You might unknowingly curl your toes under, and then put extra pressure forward on them, your shoes might be 'too tight.' Its hard to tell, does it effect you riding?
2007-12-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1113958

New user

It doesnt cause me to slow down at all, it just keeps me from focusing and is distracting. Maybe I need to focus on those 10 appendages a bit more, and give the shoes less of a death grip.....Good advice!

Tom
2007-12-21 6:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Tom interesting, I think as Aarron says it may be a relaxation issue wiggle your toes in your shoes every now and again that should get the blood flowing.

I must admit I get numb feet on my trainer after about an hour but a big part of that is mental I hate being on my trainer. I wiggle my toes which tends to sort it out.

Hope everyone has a great weekend as I said I will look to early next week post some swimming info. Apologies for my lack of communication but I am on Vacation from tonight until 2nd of Jan so had to get a lot sorted before I could leave the office!.

2007-12-22 3:48 PM

User image

Elite
For those that celebrate Christmas what are you doing? For those of you who don't what are you holiday plans? I am bored sitting at home today, waiting to hop on the trainer later.
2007-12-22 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
I'll be at the in-laws Monday and my sister's on Tuesday enjoying Christmas with the family.

I had plans to run on one or both of those days, but I think I'll be skipping that. At mile four of my six mile run yesterday, I turned to check traffic over my shoulder mid-stride before crossing the street and felt a sharp, stabbing pain in the center of my foot. I should have stopped, but kept going, as the pain subsided after two or three strides and never resurfaced to the finish. Today, I'm hobbling around a bit as payment. If my weight is on the outside of the foot and I pivot, I get a pain right behind my ankle bone down to mid sole. It feels as if I stretched/strained a tendon, since that is a similar motion to what caused the pain initially. I'll rest and take an ibuprofen or two until it goes away or lessens. Sucks because I felt great and thought about going further next time out. (I've never been a distance runner, but I've really come to enjoy it)

Merry Christmas to all that will be celebrating.

2007-12-22 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

peroneus longus tendon

http://www.orthogate.org/patient-education/ankle/peroneal-tendon-pr...

This is what it feels like I twinged, judging from the initial pain and the uncomfortableness I feel now. Seems it's commonly torn/injured in a sprained ankle, though mine feels like a mild pull. A few days rest should do it.

Fun fun fun
2007-12-23 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Hey everyone,

I moved from RI to Texas this year, so this is my first Christmas away from my extended family which will be strange for me. We're just planning a quiet day at home and then going over to a friend's house for supper. My dad is coming down for a visit on Wednesday and will be here until New Year's Eve which will be nice.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas (if you celebrate it...if not have a relaxing day off from work! )

2007-12-23 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
I am away from my family as well this year we are going to my girlfriend's father for Christmas Ever, having some of her family over for brunch Christmas day and then going to her mom's later in the day. I will celebrate with my family in January.
2007-12-23 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
I have 10 people staying at my house until Wednesday (which does not include the 4 people who live here regularly). Another 6 are expected to arrive this morning and my family will be over for Christmas dinner. All in all, I think we are expecting around 35 people between family, extended family and friends for the holidays.

Needless to say, I have been at the gym everyday to escape the craziness of my house. Today we are shopping and going to the movies. My husband heated our pool so even though it is 48 degrees outside, all of the kids are in the 90 degree pool - which usually keeps them busy for 3-4 hours each day.

I hope everyone has a happy holiday!

Molly
2007-12-24 8:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Merry X-mas to you all.

Not much happening here we have no family in the US so will be just the four of us on X-mas day. No doubt eat too much and drink too much.

Charlie hope the foot/leg is feeling better.

JG

2007-12-24 8:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

So What is everyone's new years resolutions? I don't really have one this year as last year was my big one to lose weight and get healthy which I achieved. My previous 5 years of resolutions were thsi so good to finally achieve one 8-)

This year mine is all about Iron Man and family. 

2007-12-26 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
I was able to squeeze in a 40 mile trainer ride after everyone left yesterday morning and before our next family party in the evening. I was happy with that, and my girlfriend has gone to the gym twice this week with her stepmother, stepmother just joined and wanted someone to go with so she got my girlfriend a membership.
2007-12-26 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1115461

User image

Elite
jamesG - 2007-12-24 9:29 AM

So What is everyone's new years resolutions? I don't really have one this year as last year was my big one to lose weight and get healthy which I achieved. My previous 5 years of resolutions were thsi so good to finally achieve one 8-)

This year mine is all about Iron Man and family.

I do not really have one, just keep up with training and become a better swimmer.
2007-12-26 3:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

My thoughts on swimming:

Ok so I think within our group the underlying limiter is swimming and as promised see my thoughts below.. This is very often the case for new triathlete’s. Certainly was the case for me when I started the sport last year.

So how have I gone from being a 2.30min 100yd swimmer to a Front of the Pack swimmer in 12 months with around a 1.30min/100 yd time? The answer is with a lot of long work and hours in the pool and coaching. It is interesting looking in my 2007 training hours in my blog page. I have run 87 hours in 2007 and swum 97 hours in 2007 to date. For most people that will sound counter-intuitive, the swim part of the race is a lot shorter than the run.

My focus has been on addressing my limiters in 2007 1/swimming and 2/ bike endurance. Running is my strong point and I figured with very little training I could still run sub 7 min mile in a sprint and maybe with a lot of run training run 10 – 15 secs a mile faster. Now that is not a lot of bang for the effort say 1min 30 secs time saving for the run in a sprint race, however in swimming my times are 1min per 100 yds faster with the work I have done that translates to a whopping 8.30mins in a sprint race. I guess what I am trying to say in a round about way is don’t ignore the swimming. The longer the race the less important swimming is in terms of time as the step up from an Oly to HIM is only about 20-30% on the swim but the bike and run double in distance between the two events. However in saying that try swimming a half IM with poor form and you will automatically be tired getting on your bike.

The key to successful Triathlon swimming is being as efficient as possible the lesser energy you use in the swim portion the more you will have for the bike and run. Winter is the perfect time to concentrate on swim technique as less focus on running and riding and I find it relaxing being in a nice warm pool.

General Keys to improving swimming in JG’s books:

1/ Join a tri swim group or masters group to get someone to look at your stroke or if you don’t have this facility in your area go to your local Y and get someone to do a one-to-one session with you.. They will correct your stroke as you swim and these groups have really good structured swim programs with lots of drills. Yes it is daunting to start with, so start in the slow lane at the back. You will also find the coaches focus on the people in the slow lane the most as this is where the worst technique is so often results in some intensive 1 to 1 coaching for free.

2/ Swim three times a week. Frequency is the key two sessions a week is for maintenance and three is for improvement. My coach lives by this rule and now so do I. You are better swimming 3 x 2000 yds sessions a week than 2 x 3000 yds sessions a week as swimming is all about feel in the water the more often you swim the better you feel.

3/ Technique is key, concentrate a large part of workout on drills. By just churning up and down the pool with existing technique is reinforcing bad technique yes you will get faster because of fitness gains but you will soon plateau. The best improvements are from reducing drag in the water due to superior technique.

4/ swimming is not really related to strength, it is 90% technique. Don’t believe me go and watch 8 – 9 year old kids swim. And 8-9 year old 80lb swimmer will kick our ar*e as have superior technique. Concentrate on technique when swimming not speed. Speed is a by product of good technique. In saying that at some stage before your races you will need to include some faster sets.

5/ Work on your weaknesses, one at a time. This is really important work on one thing at a time concentrating on the drills correcting this flaw until it becomes second nature, then start the focus on the next weakness. I found this very useful, as I struggle to concentrate on more than one thing at a time when I swim. It may take three to four weeks to correct your biggest limiters. Just keep repeating and then suddenly it clicks. I am not exaggerating here. One of my biggest limiters for me was I never reached fully on my right stroke my coach had me do catch up drills to correct it must have taken me 15000 yds of drills and 3 – 4 weeks to fix this but it just happened one day repetition becomes habit.

6/ I swum with triathlon group twice a week this year was useful but I did find I was rushing at times to keep up so sometimes my form would suffer. I scheduled a Friday technique swim after work as my third swim of the week. I loved this swim I slowed it right down and did 300 yd warm-up and a 300 yd Cool down and then did a solid 45 mins of drills between the W-Up and W Down concentrating on everything I had learnt at tri group at my own pace. I would actually strap a pull buoy between my legs some days and just work on my stroke and breathing for the full session.

7/ when it is summer try and schedule one Open Water Swim (OWS) a week. Ultimately triathlon swimming takes place in a lake or sea the closer you can replicate this the better you will be on race day. I always do one swim a week out doors in summer in my triathlon wetsuit.

7 Key Elements of Swimming:

1/ Streamline

2/ Focus on the Tiles.

3/ Don’t cross the Centre line.

4/ Breathing & Balance.

5/ Extend and and Pause

6/ Surf Board Catch and Pull.

7/ Put the Umph in the Front.

As a caveat the above are my thoughts on swimming I haven’t referred to books etc so this is just what worked for me and my thoughts from coaching and my own experiences.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » James G Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10