BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-06-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2068936

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-17 7:48 PM

Edited by ChrisFL 2009-06-17 7:49 PM
2009-06-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2225536

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
ChrisFL - 2009-06-17 7:38 PM Ladies....I ran two easy miles on the treadmill today and then walked one mile at a fast pace.  I could have run the third mile but I felt my hip tightening on me and because of being on the treadmill couldn't just stop and stretch it out.  SO...walked the last mile briskly. 

So I am thinking I really can do this 5K on Sunday.   A 5K is 3.1 miles right?  How much more is the .1 going to add to my race?  My only concern is really the heat and humidity and how that might affect me.  It's one thing running on a treadmill in an airconditioned room and quite another on a hot trail.  Do people carry water with them?  Is it really okay to walk during the 5K?  Sorry if these seem stupid- I just don't know....never done one or been to one either.   I'm psyched though....it will be fun especially if I can run it the entire way- that will be a major accomplishment!  Christine

My opinions:

- Yes, yes do the 5k on Sunday.  You might surprise yourself and do better than you think.

- If it's hot and humid, run slower than you think you could.

- If you want to run the whole 5k, run slower than you think you could.

- It is absolutely ok to stop and walk in a 5k.

- Most 5ks (not all) have water available at the half-way point.  Ask when you sign up.  Drink 1 cup and pour another cup over your head.

- Don't train on Saturday.

- Stretch and jog for about a minute about 10 minutes before the race starts.

- Have a good time - Good luck

Denise
2009-06-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2225781

Veteran
Queens, NY
^2 what Denise said. You should ABSOLUTELY do it, I think it will work wonders for your confidence.
2009-06-18 12:42 PM

2009-06-18 12:56 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Christine - Ditto what Denise said!!   Go DO it!!  What a grand way to honor your father's memory!!   At least out here, there are always folks entered in the 5K that walk the entire thing, so doing some walking when necessary will be just fine.    Definitely check on the aid stations planned for the race.   If it is going to be really hot you might consider carrying one of the smallest bottles of gatorade (that is as much as I can stand to drink at one time anyway...but you have to buy a 6 or 8 pack).   I have run while carrying them before and it isn't bad.   One company actually makes a small bottle with a strap on it to carry in your hand.

We got the big branding done - 30 cowboys and 400 head of calves!   It was a long day but so glad it is done.   Off today for tractor parts and a ton of salt for the cattle.    Hopefully I will fit in a bike ride tonight...no training yesterday but walked a long way in the corral.   Ran 5 miles on Tuesday morning and then rode about 20 miles in the afternoon!  I was SO tired!

Blessings to all!
Sharie

2009-06-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2227071

Expert
Missouri

ranchrunner - 2009-06-18 12:56 PM Christine - Ditto what Denise said!!   Go DO it!!  What a grand way to honor your father's memory!!   At least out here, there are always folks entered in the 5K that walk the entire thing, so doing some walking when necessary will be just fine.    Definitely check on the aid stations planned for the race.   If it is going to be really hot you might consider carrying one of the smallest bottles of gatorade (that is as much as I can stand to drink at one time anyway...but you have to buy a 6 or 8 pack).   I have run while carrying them before and it isn't bad.   One company actually makes a small bottle with a strap on it to carry in your hand.

We got the big branding done - 30 cowboys and 400 head of calves!   It was a long day but so glad it is done.   Off today for tractor parts and a ton of salt for the cattle.    Hopefully I will fit in a bike ride tonight...no training yesterday but walked a long way in the corral.   Ran 5 miles on Tuesday morning and then rode about 20 miles in the afternoon!  I was SO tired!

Blessings to all!
Sharie

I read this and my first thought was - You branded 30 cowboys?!?  Then I figured out what you meant, lol!  Sounds like you've had a busy week.  Good luck getting the bike ride in tonight!

Christine - good luck with your 5k this weekend!  I think it's a great way to honor your dad.  I have one of those hand-held bottles with the strap and almost always take it for my races, especially if it's supposed to be really warm.  And don't worry about walking if you need to - you won't be the only one.  I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I don't know how much running I'll be doing over the next couple of weeks.  My leg seems to be doing better, but it still bothers me when I try to run on it.  I think I'll just concentrate on swimming and biking for a while since they don't seem to bother it.  Might make for a crappy time for my 10k on July 4th, but I figure that's better than being sidelined for a much longer time because I do something stupid now.

Have a great day!
Janet

2009-06-18 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2227027

Veteran
Queens, NY
ChrisFL - 2009-06-18 12:42 PM Thanks a million girls!  I AM going to run the 5K.  Have to register on Saturday.  My eldest daughter will be there to cheer me on and maybe capture the moment and get a cool picture.   There is also a kids 1/2 mile run so she wants to that too.  

Had a great bike ride today.  Ten miles which is reallly good for me!  It got hot out though around 10 a.m. so I had to head in I was so dehyrated!  I drank a TON of water afterwards. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips!!  I am really excited about Sunday now!  Christine Cool

Yay, Chris! You GO girl!
2009-06-19 8:34 AM

Expert
Missouri

Morning ladies!  Gosh, where is everyone lately?  Out training, I guessWink.   I can't wait for 12:45 pm today - that's when I officially start my vacation!  WOOHOO!!!  Not going anywhere special, but looking forward to a week away from the office and getting to spend some time with the kids.  Probably not something they're looking forward to (they are teenagers, after all) but with my son starting college in a little over 2 months, I'd like to spend some time with him before I have to let him goFrown.  I have a feeling that's going to be harder to do than I thought it would be. 

Anyway, hoping to also get some good training in while I'm off next week if the weather cooperates.  We're starting to get summer temps (90's) now so most of it will probably be in the mornings before it gets too hot. 

Hope everyone has a great day and good luck to anyone who is racing this weekend (that means you ChristineSmile)!
Janet

2009-06-19 11:20 AM

Veteran
Wyoming
Hi Everyone!

I keep thinking life will slow down soon, but it just doesn't seem to!    I am getting pretty nervous/excited about my first Tri next weekend - June 28.   Found myself actively dreaming about it last night!   Need to stop that though because it doesn't allow for a good rest!

I wondered what your thoughts are on this:
My tri has a short - 500yd - run between the pool door and the transition area.   I can't decide if I should put my socks and running shoes on at the pool, run to T1 and change to bike shoes or just slip on my Keen sandals, run down and put socks, bike shoes on there?   Any thoughts?

My other concern is that I have to spend the night in Cheyenne since it is a 2 hour drive.   I am worried about what to eat the night before.  I know the rule is to not eat anything new, but since we don't eat out here - no restaurants to speak of - everything would be "new".    I already deal with some GI issues in the mornings so I do need to be really careful.

Need to plant a few things and then off to town for a time trial pool swim!

Sharie
2009-06-19 3:00 PM

Edited by ChrisFL 2009-06-19 3:01 PM

2009-06-19 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Kami - Good luck Sunday

I'm really excited for you.  I think you'll do very well.  Hope the cold/pink eye don't cause you too many problems.  Looking forward to reading your race report.  Have you planned a post-race meal.  I know you're not supposed to reward yourself with food but I'm already planning what I'm going to eat after my tri - and it's not even 'til August

Denise
2009-06-19 6:14 PM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Sorry I've been MIA. I moved and had no internet at home for a while but now I'm all hooked up

I have my first tri tomorrow (I know my training plan says the 21st but they changed it to the 20th) I'M SO NERVOUS!!! I went swimming in the canal where the swim will be held. First time the water was 58 degrees!! I almost died lol Couldn't put my face in the water, I was hyperventalating (whew hard english word to write hehe) Second time was this past Thursday. The water was 65 degrees and it was ok but my wetsuit felt so tight, I couldn't breathe. I'm very nervous about the swim, I'm scared I won't be able to do it. I had to use my inhaler when I got home from the swim (I only usually use it when there are cats near me) I think I'll use it before the swim. Why oh why isn't it in a nice hot pool!!!!

I got all my runs in this week (well I'm counting tomorrow) and last week (for the challenge). I'm not sure if my training log is all updated but I'm happy I reached my goal.

I have to try to sleep now !!!

Patricia

2009-06-19 6:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Patricia - Good luck Saturday

2009-06-19 6:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Christine - Good luck Sunday

2009-06-19 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2229949

Veteran
Northern VA
LadyNorth - 2009-06-19 5:40 PM

Kami - Good luck Sunday

I'm really excited for you.  I think you'll do very well.  Hope the cold/pink eye don't cause you too many problems.  Looking forward to reading your race report.  Have you planned a post-race meal.  I know you're not supposed to reward yourself with food but I'm already planning what I'm going to eat after my tri - and it's not even 'til August

Denise

No, I haven't! But since it is father's Day I'm sure it will involve ice cream once I make it home (which is 2 hrs away).
I'm getting nervous! I'm leaving tomorrow and spending the night in a hotel, alone for the first time since before my kids were born!

Good luck to everyone else that is racing this weekend! 

2009-06-19 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2230080

2009-06-19 7:39 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Good luck and many prayers going out to all racers!   Can't wait to hear your reports!

Sharie
2009-06-20 4:27 PM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
I did it, I finished my first tri!!!!

I'll post my race report later.

Patricia
2009-06-20 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2230937

Illinois

Yeah, Patricia! 

Can't wait to read the race report.

Sue

2009-06-20 7:51 PM

Veteran
Queens, NY
CONGRATS, Patricia!

Pleasepleaseplease tell us all about it! How was it? How do you feel?

2009-06-20 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2231161

2009-06-21 9:27 AM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Race report is up

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

How do I feel? : Amazing!! Can't wait for the next one All that training does count for something.

I was the last women to cross the finish line. That's not going to happen again LOL

Well back to training for the next one

Patricia
2009-06-21 9:31 AM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Chris : I'm sorry you are not doing the race today. Honestly, I'm really sorry your husband is not more supportive But like you said, baby steps. When he sees how happy running and training makes you, he'll probably change his mind.
2009-06-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2231686

Veteran
Northern VA
mekira - 2009-06-21 10:31 AM Chris : I'm sorry you are not doing the race today. Honestly, I'm really sorry your husband is not more supportive But like you said, baby steps. When he sees how happy running and training makes you, he'll probably change his mind.

I feel the same... I hope he changed his mind, but I am also not the type to listen to "you can't," it is a good way to make me do something (as long as it isn't life threatening or against the law, you know what I mean!).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36