Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-02-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Nice easy 45 minute run on treadmill this morning. At about 20 minutes into the workout, I think I finaly accepted that I'm a rookie at endurance sports. Only my third season for running and first for TRI. I haven't been a rookie in athletics since I was a teenager. I think this is good for me, this will keep me in better control and not over do things. I've been reading the Triathlete's Training Bible (on my one hour train rides to and from work) and I'm now writting my first annual TRI plan. I've known about different training phases, whichever sport I was in, but never used the pricinple properly, to eager to get to the end. This time I will build my plan, stick to it and be patient, the results will happen.

My long term goal is IM before I'm 45, so I've got four season to buid up to it. Plenty of time.

Sylvain

2010-02-09 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Stu & Scout- thanks for the advice on seats and cycling form.  I think part of my problem was that I had a death grip on the handlebars due to the workout being at a relatively high cadence (I was trying to balance myself).  I'm going to focus on being much more relaxed.  Thanks for the tip.

It's snowing here in Chicago, and it looks like what's hitting us is going to intensify and then pay a visit to our friends in the Mid Atlantic region.  I just saw that northern VA is due for another foot of snow and that the Philly area is on tap for 18 inches.  You guys should start x-country skiing in place of your running.

Melinda - I am probably not the guy to be giving advice on how to squeeze in workouts w/family time (I am not a parent), but I have friends and family members with children and the only way that they can get their long workouts in is by getting up early.  I have a brother in-law who swam the English Channel...he was up at 4:30AM for the better part of 18 months.

Despite having more time to train than most, I still find that early morning workouts are the best way to maintain consistency.  In my former athletic life, if I put off a longer workout until the afternoon, something would come up (or I'd find something) that would prevent me from getting the workout in. 

2010-02-09 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
I'm back. Life has really gotten in the way over the last couple weeks. I have come to the conclusion that early morning workouts are the best way to prevent life from interfering with training. The family just has to get over it. It's bed time at 9:30 pm, wake at 4:30 am, get the workout in, and get to work. Saying all that, I have a run and some time on the bike scheduled for this afternoon. : ) Morning workouts begin tomorrow.

Phil
2010-02-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2663392

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
StlPhil - 2010-02-09 9:02 AM

I'm back. Life has really gotten in the way over the last couple weeks. I have come to the conclusion that early morning workouts are the best way to prevent life from interfering with training. The family just has to get over it. It's bed time at 9:30 pm, wake at 4:30 am, get the workout in, and get to work. Saying all that, I have a run and some time on the bike scheduled for this afternoon. : ) Morning workouts begin tomorrow.

Phil

hey phil i completely understand your situation. i have two kids-14 and 9 who both play sports-baseball practice starts today at 4:45, and have other activities. so the family first approach is practiced in our household. i also am up at 4:30am to go out and run. i need to squeeze in some more cycling time but that will happen soon. also my wife has seven sisters so there are other family related activities every week. morning workouts are great for me. very peaceful and very zen like on a lot of mornings. good luck to you.
2010-02-09 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2664059

User image

Expert
Salem
wplummer - 2010-02-09 1:02 PM
StlPhil - 2010-02-09 9:02 AM I'm back. Life has really gotten in the way over the last couple weeks. I have come to the conclusion that early morning workouts are the best way to prevent life from interfering with training. The family just has to get over it. It's bed time at 9:30 pm, wake at 4:30 am, get the workout in, and get to work. Saying all that, I have a run and some time on the bike scheduled for this afternoon. : ) Morning workouts begin tomorrow.

Phil
hey phil i completely understand your situation. i have two kids-14 and 9 who both play sports-baseball practice starts today at 4:45, and have other activities. so the family first approach is practiced in our household. i also am up at 4:30am to go out and run. i need to squeeze in some more cycling time but that will happen soon. also my wife has seven sisters so there are other family related activities every week. morning workouts are great for me. very peaceful and very zen like on a lot of mornings. good luck to you.

This week has already been a doozy at work.  It has really cut into my motivation, but I am trying to fight through it.  I missed Biking Class this morning and it is just to darn chilly out for a bike ride outside.  I am going to go this evening to the gym in about 30 min. or so (7:00 pm Pascific Time)  and ride one of the Indoor Cycling Class Bikes for about an hour; it is my planned workout anyway, but I wanted to get out and ride.  I'll just get into an Aero Position turn on the tunes and just ride steady.  I am also going to go sockless to try and build on not having to use them during races.  I'll bring a pair just in case as well as some Body Glide.  My wife knows I have been stressed with personnel issues at work so she understands the need to blow off some stress as well.

Take Care
2010-02-09 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Rant on.  Snow sucks.  Rant off.  Thanks for reading.

2010-02-09 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2664680

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
TriGuyBri - 2010-02-09 8:19 PM
wplummer - 2010-02-09 1:02 PM
StlPhil - 2010-02-09 9:02 AM I'm back. Life has really gotten in the way over the last couple weeks. I have come to the conclusion that early morning workouts are the best way to prevent life from interfering with training. The family just has to get over it. It's bed time at 9:30 pm, wake at 4:30 am, get the workout in, and get to work. Saying all that, I have a run and some time on the bike scheduled for this afternoon. : ) Morning workouts begin tomorrow.

Phil

This week has already been a doozy at work.  It has really cut into my motivation, but I am trying to fight through it.  I missed Biking Class this morning and it is just to darn chilly out for a bike ride outside.  I am going to go this evening to the gym in about 30 min. or so (7:00 pm Pascific Time)  and ride one of the Indoor Cycling Class Bikes for about an hour; it is my planned workout anyway, but I wanted to get out and ride.  I'll just get into an Aero Position turn on the tunes and just ride steady.  I am also going to go sockless to try and build on not having to use them during races.  I'll bring a pair just in case as well as some Body Glide.  My wife knows I have been stressed with personnel issues at work so she understands the need to blow off some stress as well.

Take Care

Stress to the max for me last two weeks. An audit is not a fun thing, but we got through without any major problems. Really through off my MoJo. Had a good 5 mile run tonight and spent 30 min on the bike afterwords. Going to hit the pool in the morning. I think this is just one of those times were I have to just push through. A week of good workouts and I think I'll be back in the groove again. Although, I will be in Chicago all weekend at son's volleyball tourney. I am committed to working out some how or some way while out of town.

Phil
2010-02-09 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
BTW. Off to bed with my new schedule. This is pretty sad, but I hope my wife is not in the mood. I need to get to sleep. ; ) 4-5 times a week has turned into, how about Saturday night? Getting healthy has effected my love life a little.

Phil
2010-02-10 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Pretty unorganized Swim Work out this morning.  Felt hurried and wasn't able to get the whole thing in.  I am going to have to switch my times I do my swim and run around; the plan has them on the same day which is OK.  I probably should do the run in the AM and swim in the evening.  Just think it will work out better.  Also to have my swim drills and kick drills set as to which ones I will do.   Have a run this evening and it looks like it will be in the rain.  I went out a purchased another pair of running shoes Asics 1140's to compliment my 2150's I bought earlier.  Plan to use them in the rain and other nasty conditions to keep the 2150's as fresh as I can.

Have a great day everyone.

2010-02-10 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Planning a drainer ride tonight during the flyers game, but this is what we've been dealing with all day...Sorry the pictures aren't great, but the conditions weren't ideal!  Supposed to be only 18 inches, but I'm thinking it was another 2 feet.  I just heard on the news that we got more snow in the past 5 days than we normally get in 2 years.  Yay.

2010-02-10 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
No workout for me today, planned swim missed, daughter decided at 3am that she no longer needed to sleep. Then she had the nerve to only take a 90 minute nap after lunch. Have planned LT run test for tomorrow, don't think I'll be doing it. Maybe Friday will be a better day for it.

Scout, sorry for all the snow. It will be over soon.

2010-02-10 7:31 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
'only' 18 inches huh?  Well, no matter how you slice it, that's just hard to take.  I feel for you.  Let's just hope that Sylvain is right -- the end is in sight?

Weather here is just chilly and windy -- nothing like that.  I've been dealing with a sort knee this week.  (I had surgery on it a few years ago, and it feels a lot like it did a few months after surgery.)  I was able to run decently today, though, so maybe the worst is over.

Hope everyone is doing well in these weather-trying times!  I'm on Phil's plan of 'early to bed...' so, I'm off to bed!
2010-02-10 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys! Sorry I've been MIA. Like many of you, life and work keeps getting in the way of what I really want to do
Scout- I can't believe how much snow you have! I live just south of the Adirondacks, and we haven't had any snow all year.

This week is the first week of my 20 week oly training. So far, I'm getting everything in.

There's no way I can work out in the morning during the school year. My morning already starts at 5:30 AM to get everything done and every one out the door on time. So, I've been going to the gym immediately after work. It isn't ideal, because I dont get to see my kids until 6ish, but it's really the best option at this point in life.
2010-02-10 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Run LT test

I'm surounded by rolling hills and many street corners. I was thinking of performing my test on treadmill. Is there a significant difference doing the test on treadmill then on the road.

Thanks for your feedbacks
Sylvain
2010-02-10 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Boy, I thought it sucked getting 4" of snow. LOL

Phil
2010-02-10 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Oh - forgot to mention - the snowplow broke my mailbox.  The now coming off of the blade of the plow blew my mailbox right off the post.  Easy enough to fix, but that plow must have been moving!

Scout

2010-02-10 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2662624

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
grannygear - 2010-02-08 11:49 PM Fitting it all in--ok, not fitting itall in.  I am finding it's pretty easy to get the gym work done in the mornings, but the long outdoor workouts on Fridays and Saturdays (Sunday is rest, church day) are not happening like they should,  Hubby is very supportive he's doing IMStG but business and family makes it hard.  This weekend is a holiday weekend, and my two youngest sons race bicycles and racing season has started, more weekend obligations.  How do you all fit it in?
Melinda

I'm not... yet.  One realization I'm coming to the last few months is that my lunchtime training plan was great for sprints, but it's not even close for HIM.  Basically, I would take about 1 1/2 hours for lunch and get an hour workout in and then one long run or bike on the weekend.  With travel and other obligations, I could usually count on getting in 4-5 good workouts/week.  Really fit my life well... nice balance and didn't feel like I lost any time during the day.   But it isn't enough for this year's goals.

Thinking creatively, if the weather ever improves, I want to start riding my bike to work at least twice/week which is 32 mi r/t... this will help me get in my miles, but not add quite as much time to the day as it is also replacing commuting time (and saving gas $$).  Haven't figured out all the logistics for that yet, though.  I'm also going to need to add in one or two early morning workouts and may need to change my day off from a weekend day to a week day (or no day).  So, still mulling on it.  The travel and the snow have wreaked havoc on my plans thus far.  Alot of "maybe next week" in my vocabulary these days.  I'm so over this snow.

Good luck Melinda, keep us all posted on your progress!
-Stu
2010-02-11 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2667027

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-02-10 9:46 PM Run LT test I'm surounded by rolling hills and many street corners. I was thinking of performing my test on treadmill. Is there a significant difference doing the test on treadmill then on the road. Thanks for your feedbacks Sylvain

You're talking about doing a test for LTHR right?  In that case, I'd say that the preferred venue is one where you can run continuously -- no stopping.  Hills don't matter, but you don't want to be stopping for traffic.  Your HR will come down while you're stopped and that will wreck the test.
2010-02-11 5:27 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Again on the theme of 'how to get it all in'.  I agree with Stu that thinking creatively is important.  We've all got lots of obligations and any time those can be combined with training (in a way that doesn't sacrifice the obligation) we've killed two birds with one stone.  Commuting is one great example.

I will add that being prepared to take advantage of an opportunity is also important.  I think I get in at least 2 workouts a week that are 'spur of the moment', made possible by a last minute change in schedule (canceled meeting, wife picks up kids from school instead of me, etc.).  I try to be ready to take advantage of these situations.
2010-02-11 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2667294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-02-11 6:27 AM

Again on the theme of 'how to get it all in'.  I agree with Stu that thinking creatively is important.  We've all got lots of obligations and any time those can be combined with training (in a way that doesn't sacrifice the obligation) we've killed two birds with one stone.  Commuting is one great example.

I will add that being prepared to take advantage of an opportunity is also important.  I think I get in at least 2 workouts a week that are 'spur of the moment', made possible by a last minute change in schedule (canceled meeting, wife picks up kids from school instead of me, etc.).  I try to be ready to take advantage of these situations.

One option I'm looking at is once spring/summer comes along I'm thinking of taking my bike on the train and get off early and ride in to the office and then ride back part way hop on train and eat snack. Maybe I can do this once or twice a week.
2010-02-11 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Taking a much needed rest day today.  Planning a swim and run tomorrow.  But tomorrow is a bigger day for other reasons....the registration and check for my first HIM will be going out in the mail tomorrow.  I guess it's (almost) too late to turn back now!

2010-02-11 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2668517

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Sometimes a picture is really worth a thousand words... this one's for you, Scout.

(snowman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
snowman.jpg (75KB - 13 downloads)
2010-02-11 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
That is awesome!
2010-02-11 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2668818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
scout21 - 2010-02-11 7:19 PM

That is awesome!

I second that!
2010-02-11 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2668761

User image

Expert
Salem
juneapple - 2010-02-11 3:39 PM Sometimes a picture is really worth a thousand words... this one's for you, Scout.

Nice!!! 

I gave in to not being able to train today.  Things are just not working out this week for one reason or another.  Feel bad, but maybe it is for the best.  I need to get my bike prepared and need some "stuff"  and most of it I have to order on line and can't get it locally.  I also have not been able to get to my Core Workouts this week.  My wife has been after me to finish remodeling the bathroom and if you ever done something like that it is one thing after another.

Maybe it is for the best.  I may have to reevaluate my training time.  I am not sure I can give two workouts a day three times a week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46