BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-02-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
I would love to hear more about this test!

2011-02-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3372221

User image

Extreme Veteran
So, what I've been doing is this:
Swim: after a good 10-12 min warmup, swim 1000 yds/m pretty much as hard as you can- maintaining that pace for the entire 1000 yds/m. You don't want to go super slow and then do the last 200 super fast.. it needs to be a steady state swim. That becomes your T-pace and your swim workout effort levels are based off of that.

Bike: Coggen's power test basically is a 20 min warm-up with some speed/power bursts thrown in, then 20 mins as hard as you can- again a sustainable pace for the entire duration. This is very hard. Your legs are begging you to stop by the time you are done.  You take that average power or HR for that 20 mins and deduct 5% and you have your FTP or FTH. Your zones are based off of that. Here's a great link with some spreadsheets to help calculate this: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/power411.aspx

Run: pretty much same as bike- warm up for however long it takes you to warm-up, then run 30 mins as hard as you can. Once you are 10 mins into the 30 min test, hit lap on your watch/HRM. Your threshold HR and pace is the average of the last 20 mins.  Workouts are then based off of those numbers.

This is what I'm doing, I'd be curious to see what others are doing?? I think the important thing is is to pick a method and stick with it. You wouldn't want to do testing each month doing a different method each time.

Edited by nuttysami123 2011-02-25 10:04 AM
2011-02-25 10:24 AM

Winnipeg
just catching up on the blogs, Been on the road for the week with work and unfortunately came down with a very nasty cold.Timing sucks as I have a 1/2 marathon to run this week-end if I can get well enough by sunday.  Cold as hell here -47 with windchill today but suppose to get a break to -11 for Sunday so weather will be wonderful for a little jaunt.

Haven't trained last three days trying to kick this cold seems to be coming to an end. I get miserable when I can't train.
2011-02-25 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

I've missed a couple days, so here are a couple responses.

1. AOTD: I train and will probably race in Brooks Ravenna. To me, they seem extremely light even though I know they have some structure to them, but I was running in absolute junk before this. I have been considering racing in something a lot lighter, but at this point in my triathlon "career" I'm not certain I know enough to 1. do it safely and 2. tell the difference.

2. I don't have any sort of defined testing of my limits. I suppose that lately my interval running day has been that, but to me it's more like discovering my limits

I have a 60 minute run today...not sure where I'm going to fit it in. Skipped running yesterday because my knee was a bit tender and hit hot yoga last night.

2011-02-25 1:46 PM

User image

Some interesting thoughts on the shoes.  I've trained for the past several years in the stability models of both Asics and Brooks brands...mostly because in high school I had shin splint problems.  I haven't had any trouble with shin splints in years, but I've continued to use the stability shoes out of habit.  The weight of these shoes has caused some soreness/strains to the hip flexors and a certain little spot on the front of my right knee.  But, I've always been afraid to try a lighter shoe because I thought the IT problems would be exagerated by them.  Am I wrong on that?  I love the idea of a lighter shoe, unless it'll cause other problems. 
2011-02-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3372250

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
nuttysami123 - 2011-02-25 11:01 AM

So, what I've been doing is this:
Swim: after a good 10-12 min warmup, swim 1000 yds/m pretty much as hard as you can- maintaining that pace for the entire 1000 yds/m. You don't want to go super slow and then do the last 200 super fast.. it needs to be a steady state swim. That becomes your T-pace and your swim workout effort levels are based off of that.

Bike: Coggen's power test basically is a 20 min warm-up with some speed/power bursts thrown in, then 20 mins as hard as you can- again a sustainable pace for the entire duration. This is very hard. Your legs are begging you to stop by the time you are done.  You take that average power or HR for that 20 mins and deduct 5% and you have your FTP or FTH. Your zones are based off of that. Here's a great link with some spreadsheets to help calculate this: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/power411.aspx

Run: pretty much same as bike- warm up for however long it takes you to warm-up, then run 30 mins as hard as you can. Once you are 10 mins into the 30 min test, hit lap on your watch/HRM. Your threshold HR and pace is the average of the last 20 mins.  Workouts are then based off of those numbers.

This is what I'm doing, I'd be curious to see what others are doing?? I think the important thing is is to pick a method and stick with it. You wouldn't want to do testing each month doing a different method each time.

Glad to see everybody is back. It went pretty quiet there for a while. These are good tests. I basically use the FTP test described above. For running, I use the pace calculators and a recent race result. You can google mcmillan pace calculator or the get the Daniels book I've referred to in the past to see what I mean. I really don't 'test' for swimming.

Spinervals has a good video called 'Threshold Test and Suffer Fest' that goes through bike testing. It's basically as Sam described. A few warm up sprints and a 20' all out. Take 95% of that for FTP or HR depending on what you use. Using the video is a good way to test in the exact manner each time.

60' ride with 40' @ FTP for me today. Crap weather again in Indiana which cancelled my lunch run. I'm on for a 90' continuous @ HIM watts tomorrow. Hopefully get a run in on Sunday so I can get my 25 miles for the week.

jamie

2011-02-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3372706

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-02-25 2:46 PM

Some interesting thoughts on the shoes.  I've trained for the past several years in the stability models of both Asics and Brooks brands...mostly because in high school I had shin splint problems.  I haven't had any trouble with shin splints in years, but I've continued to use the stability shoes out of habit.  The weight of these shoes has caused some soreness/strains to the hip flexors and a certain little spot on the front of my right knee.  But, I've always been afraid to try a lighter shoe because I thought the IT problems would be exagerated by them.  Am I wrong on that?  I love the idea of a lighter shoe, unless it'll cause other problems. 

I don't know if it will or not. Try it and see. I think the conventional 'wisdom' is to have all that heavy cushion/structure on your shoe to prevent injury. For me and several others I know, the opposite was true. It's worth a try if you have the $.

Jamie
2011-02-25 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3372293

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Radar987 - 2011-02-25 11:24 AM

just catching up on the blogs, Been on the road for the week with work and unfortunately came down with a very nasty cold.Timing sucks as I have a 1/2 marathon to run this week-end if I can get well enough by sunday.  Cold as hell here -47 with windchill today but suppose to get a break to -11 for Sunday so weather will be wonderful for a little jaunt.

Haven't trained last three days trying to kick this cold seems to be coming to an end. I get miserable when I can't train.

I guess I need to stop complaining about Indiana weather

Jamie
2011-02-25 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Link to pace calculator:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

I still like the Daniels approach better but McMillan is on the web (ez) and free.

Somebody has hacked the Daniels Vdot here but I still think the book is worth the $:

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Jamie
2011-02-25 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
So I pull up my information on the McMillan site based on the best mile I've ever run (a couple weeks ago) which was 6:50. It says for endurance I need to be doing the following:

Recovery Jogs
Pace/Mile

10:19 to 10:49
Pace/K

6:25 to 6:44
Long Runs9:19 to 10:195:48 to 6:25
Easy Runs9:19 to 9:495:48 to 6:07

I'm not sure how to correlate this with HR info. I can usually run at a 10:20 pace for an hour before my HR goes above 130, which I'm told is about where I want to train (yah, simply based on age I know I need to fix that...I'm 38).

If I follow this and do long runs sub 10:20 I'll be training at a higher heart rate and even higher still on easy runs.  Now I'm a little lost.  I'd like to run a little faster, but I want to ensure I'm building a good endurance base as well.  Thoughts?

Brien
2011-02-25 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3373032

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-02-25 5:57 PM

So I pull up my information on the McMillan site based on the best mile I've ever run (a couple weeks ago) which was 6:50. It says for endurance I need to be doing the following:

Recovery Jogs
Pace/Mile

10:19 to 10:49
Pace/K

6:25 to 6:44
Long Runs9:19 to 10:195:48 to 6:25
Easy Runs9:19 to 9:495:48 to 6:07

I'm not sure how to correlate this with HR info. I can usually run at a 10:20 pace for an hour before my HR goes above 130, which I'm told is about where I want to train (yah, simply based on age I know I need to fix that...I'm 38).

If I follow this and do long runs sub 10:20 I'll be training at a higher heart rate and even higher still on easy runs.  Now I'm a little lost.  I'd like to run a little faster, but I want to ensure I'm building a good endurance base as well.  Thoughts?

Brien

You could be 'upside down' as well with respect to your endurance/durability. Maybe input your longest run and not your 1 mile time.

The idea of running on pace is to ditch the HR monitor and just run on pace. Of course you have to use your noggin' a bit.....you'll be slower up the hills and faster down but you should keep your average pace at the end of the run in the ballpark indicated by McMillan/Daniels. It's just a different way of doing things. Kinda like a powertap on the bike. You're measuring how hard you are pushing the pedals and not how fast your heart is beating. It will take time, but I bet 90% of the group will be ditching HR monitors within 3 seasons of triathlon.

Jamie

2011-02-25 7:17 PM

User image

New user
Shoes:  I ran in stability shoes for about 10 years.  I switch to some Asics and have had good results.  I had my gait anayzed last year and found that I was running in the wrong shoes.  Running in Nimbus 12's right now.

THe FTP is similar to what I do as well.  I dont do the run or swim tests.  Those are both more feel.

Edited by JBougher 2011-02-25 7:20 PM
2011-02-26 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I got in a 90' ride @ HIM watts and a 4 mile run. Sister in-law/Brother in-law are in town so I'll be off the grid today. Have a good weekend everybody.

jamie
2011-02-26 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Got my brick in this morning! 2 hr endurance ride, 15 min. run.. Our Tri Club has its very first symposium today and I'm pretty excited about it!! I hope we have a good turnout!! It's from 12-5pm at Purdue if anyone wants to come!! Have a great day everyone!!
2011-02-26 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Happy Saturday morning everyne.  One hour run for me today and I've got some sniffles starting. I'm actually happy about that because my daughter is sick and I want to get it *before* I go to Mexico on vacation.  Swim tomorrow
2011-02-26 1:32 PM

User image

New user
snow keeps me from running outside.  40 min on dreadmill this morning.  riding tomorrow.  Everyone have a great weekend!

2011-02-27 3:50 PM

User image

New user
80' ride today on the CT...
2011-02-27 3:52 PM

Winnipeg
well just finished the Hypothermic 1/2 marathon this morning and it lived up to its name -27 about 600 of us braved the run
in multilayers of hi teck gear that would make the manufactures drool with the dollars spent trying to stay warm and dry.
Crazy how much you sweat at -27.

Anyways went ok considering I have been sick all week, and definately qualified as a LSR at 2hr and 11 minutes

but as they say fools love company and there was certainly lots of us out there.

Hopefully can get back into my full training regiment soon.
2011-02-27 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3374482

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Radar987 - 2011-02-27 4:52 PM

well just finished the Hypothermic 1/2 marathon this morning and it lived up to its name -27 about 600 of us braved the run
in multilayers of hi teck gear that would make the manufactures drool with the dollars spent trying to stay warm and dry.
Crazy how much you sweat at -27.

Anyways went ok considering I have been sick all week, and definately qualified as a LSR at 2hr and 11 minutes

but as they say fools love company and there was certainly lots of us out there.

Hopefully can get back into my full training regiment soon.

Oh man. That sounds miserable! Congrats on gutting it out.

It was a day off for me today. Did some hiking with the Mrs. but nothing that 'counts'.

Jamie
2011-02-27 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3374537

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Hope everyone had a good weekend !

I got a 2+ hour ride in this afternoon - OUTSIDE - it was a little windy out but I made it thru - avg 18 mph.  Why does it fell that the wind always in your face out in the country?

Since I missed yesterdays workout I will make it up tomorrow on my scheduled off day. 
2011-02-27 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Well today on the Wet-Coast of Vancouver we got 6" of snow! city shut down! So I ended up doing 12k on the dreadmill. Going for a swim later tonight.

2011-02-27 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Had a great time in Tahoe. The time off was much needed. I did manage to make my training goals for the week (recovery week), plus some cross training (only one day of skiing). I tried the BT iPhone app and you guys were right - it's worthless. Now I have to go back and fix all my workouts.

The BT plan I'm using has an interesting training block for the next 3 weeks - they are focus weeks. This week is really heavy swim volume, then running next week, and biking the week after. It seems a little odd to me given that I'm just now getting into a good routine, and this will certainly break that routine. The swim volume will be nearly double what I did two weeks ago. I can handle it in the pool but I'm worried about next week with tons of running after two weeks of very light running.

Anyways, back to the grind tomorrow!

-Dave
2011-02-27 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Here's a photo of my car Friday morning which had zero snow on it when I went to bed the previous night. Took a while to dig it out! We were able to make it to the rec center that day to avoid cabin fever.

Also another shot of the lady and I enjoying the amazing snow on Saturday.

(car.JPG)

(homewood.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
car.JPG (36KB - 6 downloads)
homewood.JPG (47KB - 9 downloads)
2011-02-27 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks for the feedback on the running Jamie.  It is interesting what you said about ditching HR monitors and simply running by pace. To me, that actually feels more natural and I often feel as though I'm shoehorning into a different pace when I run at HR. I'm not saying I'm going to change quite yet as I think I probably don't quite have enough experience yet to know my body well enough to be able to run long on pace. I can, however, certainly see it happening like you said. 

Anyway, had a great swim today. I ditched the flip turns for the day so I could swim a respectable distance and did 2100 yds.

How about a QOTD from me for Monday?
What do you do to reward yourself for making it through a tough workout, or week, etc?

My answer: I allow myself to eat some junk on Friday night and maybe squeeze in a little on Saturday as well. If I can't do that, I'll get a massage or go to yoga or maybe even hit the gym simply to sit in the sauna. 
2011-02-28 3:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Looks like some tough training in some inhospitable weather by a lot of the group over the weekend! Congrats to everybody for toughing it out.

AQOTD from syscrash. Not to sound like a complete downer but I don't reward myself after hard workouts. I used to do a lot of 'reward eating' but found it to be counterproductive to my race goals. I stick to the 1 coke and 1 small bowl of ice cream reward 1X/week year round.

Have a good week everybody. I'm off to a masters swim. Lots of rain here today so probably no lunch run. If not, I'll be on the bike after work.

Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40