BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-10-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Contests!
Originally posted by JREDFLY

I guess that was a pretty lame challenge, we should try to think of something good. I saw some for most consecutive days working out, most consecutive days of double workouts, etc. - any other ideas?

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm never posting, but I do bike by the forum every now and then (about as often as I've been biking... ufff).

So James, I was thinking about a contest this morning on my run that would satisfy both those who want to lose weight and those who want to be motivated to do off-season training (btw, I hear alot of good things about Jorge's off-season biking program - not sure where it is on here now, but used to be floating around somewhere), or like me, both.

Whether or not you all think this is a good idea for a contest, I'm pretty sure it is a good approach for me, so I may do it on my own regardless. Here's my thinking:

You accumulated points for weight loss or workouts. Since we're going into the hellish food tri-foodathon of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas/NY holiday, I'm thinking base-line is something along the lines of:

10 points for every pound lost per week, where no weight gain equals 5 points. So, if you lost 2 lbs in a week, you'd score 25 points. If you gained 2 lbs in a week, you'd subtract 15 points from your total.
10 points for every 5 hours of training per week (or 1 point for every 30 minutes). So, if you put in 10 hours / week, you'd score 20 points.

Post your point totals on here each week. Contest ends Jan 1st?

I've been doing slightly better the last two weeks, but travel starts up again in two weeks, so looking for some extra motivation.

Cheers,
Stu

2013-10-06 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: its the weekend already

Does anyone know of any good off season programs, sites or books that would be good for me to get ready for my OLY next year. The things I would like to include in my plan so far include:

- Finding a good swim instructor and working on a better stroke
- Getting on my bike trainer more often (maybe getting some tapes)
- Posting my diet more consistantly on My Fitness Pal and dropping that 20 pounds
- Include weight training and the FIRST running exercises
- Run 3 times per week using the FIRST running schedule

With my work schedule and family commitments I would like to do this with only one workout per day, is that even possible?

I want to run 3 times per week and swim 3 times per week, so that only leaves one day for the bike and no days for weight training. Any suggestions?

Hey James:

I think it's all doable, but it does require some juggling. With three sports to master and one workout per day, it's not going to fit into a 7 day week....especially if you plug in one day for complete rest (which I strongly endorse and practice).

One option is to think about reformatting your training schedule into 10-day cycles. That allows you to cover all three events three times with one day off to complete the cycle. You can then think about building this out using three cycles per month, two harder cycles with one recovery cycle. If you decide to plug in weight training as well, then you might have to sacrifice a workout (I suggest skipping your strongest sport) or find one day in the 10-day cycle when you have time to double up and plug in the weights. Or think about weight training in 20 minute increments that you do at home, twice, in a 10 day cycle. That's potentially doable.

I've got a CycOps indoor trainer to mount my tri bike on in my basement (the pain cave). I've come to appreciate that I can get complete killer bike workouts on the trainer in one hour...which is really perfect for Olympic distance training. As long as you're set up with a Cateye or Garmin type monitor to see your HR and cadence you can really build fitness indoors by focusing on the effort levels.

Here's an example (although this one is a little longer than 60 minutes):

20 min standard warm up. Just get the legs moving and things loose. After 15 min of easy spinning and building slowly do a couple (2 to 3) x 30 sec. light gear spins (110-115 cadence for 30 seconds) to get the blood pumping.
Main set
4x8 minute intervals, steady efforts with 5 minute very easy spin recovery after each. Cadence 100-105, so adjust gearing to appropriate level to complete the interval.

Goals:
1. Try to stay fluid. Hover around the goal avg a little more and NOT way below or way above.
2. Last two intervals should have an avg. cadence of around 110+. Even higher for the last one. This is actually more important than the HR levels.
3. Monitor your HR closely to avg. around lowzn3/midzn3/highzn3/lowzn4.

As you can see, the workout is really about finding YOUR level by monitoring your effort via HR and cadence.

I can send you a few bike trainer workouts if you need some ideas. Or, I can just email/post my bike workouts as I do them this winter. That would give you some ideas to work with.

Good luck!

Steve
2013-10-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Contests!
Originally posted by juneapple

I guess that was a pretty lame challenge, we should try to think of something good. I saw some for most consecutive days working out, most consecutive days of double workouts, etc. - any other ideas?

10 points for every pound lost per week, where no weight gain equals 5 points. So, if you lost 2 lbs in a week, you'd score 25 points. If you gained 2 lbs in a week, you'd subtract 15 points from your total.
10 points for every 5 hours of training per week (or 1 point for every 30 minutes). So, if you put in 10 hours / week, you'd score 20 points.

Stu

Works for me. Thankfully, I don't have much weight to lose, but just staying even over the holidays would be a win!

Steve
2013-10-06 6:56 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm never posting, but I do bike by the forum every now and then (about as often as I've been biking... ufff).

STU! I thought we lost you - so glad to see you post.

Sounds like a good contest - I could keep track again and offer another coveted black dog mug as the grand prize.

Anyone else in?
2013-10-07 6:00 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple Here's my thinking: You accumulated points for weight loss or workouts. Since we're going into the hellish food tri-foodathon of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas/NY holiday, I'm thinking base-line is something along the lines of: 10 points for every pound lost per week, where no weight gain equals 5 points. So, if you lost 2 lbs in a week, you'd score 25 points. If you gained 2 lbs in a week, you'd subtract 15 points from your total. 10 points for every 5 hours of training per week (or 1 point for every 30 minutes). So, if you put in 10 hours / week, you'd score 20 points. Post your point totals on here each week. Contest ends Jan 1st? I've been doing slightly better the last two weeks, but travel starts up again in two weeks, so looking for some extra motivation. Cheers, Stu

Tri-foodathon of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas/NY Holiday?  Can't we just call that one REALLY BIG temptation and leave it at that?

I like the contest idea.  I think we would have to have how you earn or lose points posted somewhere for reference (not clear on where the 15 point deduction for the 2 pound weight gain came from in your example).  I will definitely be in favor of something along these lines as I don't really plan to have an 'off-season.'  Louisville is 11 months away and Kona two months after that.  I still have A LOT of work to do.

2013-10-07 6:58 AM

User image

Expert

STU! I thought we lost you - so glad to see you post.

Just too many balls in the air the last few months. Doing what I can to keep the training going, even though not at an ideal level. Also totaled my bike 3 weeks ago (freak accident, I wasn't hurt fortunately). Got my replacement - and one quick ride in - and then, the government shutdown closed the Skyline Drive. Grrrrr. Need to get my run volume back to my 20 mi / week maint level and biking back in some semblance of a routine. Anyway, just looking for any motivation I can get these days.

btw, will be up in your neck of the woods in two weeks to visit our daughter in Providence. Hoping for some nice Fall weather!

Stu

2013-10-07 7:09 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Originally posted by k9car363

Tri-foodathon of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas/NY Holiday?  Can't we just call that one REALLY BIG temptation and leave it at that?

I like the contest idea.  I think we would have to have how you earn or lose points posted somewhere for reference (not clear on where the 15 point deduction for the 2 pound weight gain came from in your example).  I will definitely be in favor of something along these lines as I don't really plan to have an 'off-season.'  Louisville is 11 months away and Kona two months after that.  I still have A LOT of work to do.

No kidding Scott... I don't think I've ever gotten through this stretch without gaining some weight. Thus the weird scoring for the weight loss portion of the diet. You get 5 points just for staying even and then add 10 points for every lb you lose on top of that. So, if you didn't gain any weight for 4 weeks, you'd get 20 points (5 x 4 weeks) just for staying even :-) I actually think that in terms of positive motivation that's a plus, especially this time of year. And, for those who are already happy with where they are, they get points for maintaining it.

I figured that 5 points for weight maint was about the same as 5 points for 2 1/2 hours of training maint. Basically, that's standing still, but holding your own through these nasty months of shorter days and temptation is a positive thing in my book. Gain a lb, and you can offset that with 5 hours of training in a week. That's about right for me... no idea if it is right for everyone else. Yes, these are the things that keep my mind occupied during runs and swims :-)

Stu
2013-10-07 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
please summarize the rules one more time before we start this contest I am a little ADD. LOL

Did a one hour trail run yesterday . I am lucky cuz my weakest race performance leg is my fav event to practice.

I have really dropped off on my swimming ...excuse is didnt hv a suit.

• .. I got my replacement 2xu tri suit in the mail ( first suit tore stitching first few times i wore it.)
  • The company was SUPER nice about me returning it for a replacement. They even let me finish out tri season in the damaged suit since I was training it.
    2013-10-07 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
    James.....what is the FIRST program for running??

Swimming in cold water sucks. that is all.
    2013-10-07 8:41 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Getting on my bike trainer more often (maybe getting some tapes

Any suggestions?

Hey James!  If you are looking for a good cycling training video, I am a very big fan of the Sufferfest training videos - www.thesufferfest.com.  There are 1-2 minute samples of all of the videos on the website.  Most of the videos are +/- 60 minutes long and they focus on different aspects of cycling - hills, endurance, sprint, etc.  They are downloadable, and you can put them on to your iPad (or similar device) or computer.  They have DETAILED instructions including perceived rate of exertion, cadence, etc.  Very good workout music, and incredible cycling video.  I connect it to my 60" plasma and it is just like you are riding in the peloton.  I actually consistently get a better bike workout to a Sufferfest Video than I do on the road.  With a big screen TV and a fan, it is truly almost like you are on the road.

But be warned.  If you have never truly been to a very dark place, the Sufferfest Videos will introduce you to that particularly vile destination!  The workouts are so well structured that they often seem to be over almost before they begin - or does it just seem that way because I am unconscious for half of it?  Can't tell I like the videos can you?  You want a VERY, VERY good workout?  Buy one, you will be hooked.

2013-10-08 11:28 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: Finally!

The surgeon gave me the all clear to start training again!  FINALLY!  Didn't think those ten days would ever go by.

Only ran 1.6 EASY miles today, and part of that was walking, but it never felt so good.  I have to say, I truly had not realized how much I have come to enjoy running until the first bead of sweat dripped off my brow this morning.

So now I gotta get to it!  5K on Thanksgiving morning, Sprint Tri in December, Indy 500 Half-Marathon in May, and Ironman Louisville in August.  Plus one or two more sprints, and probably an Oly and/or a half iron in early summer, I will work that out with the coach.

I believe I have some work ahead of me!

What is the status of our new contest?  We gonna do it?  If so, can someone post a review of how you earn/lose points?

2013-10-08 12:59 PM
    in reply to: dustytrails

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Originally posted by dustytrails

James.....what is the FIRST program for running??

Swimming in cold water sucks. that is all.

FIRST is the name of the training program in the Run Less Run Faster book that Steve recommended. It stands for the Furman Institute for Running and Strategic Training. It gives training schedules based off your 5k time which has you running only 3 times per week with cross training on off days with one day rest, perfect for the triathlete..One track repeat day, one tempo day and one long run day. It promotes safer running and training with a purpose instead of just logging miles.
    2013-10-08 1:11 PM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Originally posted by lutzman

One option is to think about reformatting your training schedule into 10-day cycles.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I will definitely give the 10 day schedule a try and I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again

2013-10-08 9:11 PM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

Cheers,
    Stu

Hi Stu - A little confused (happens easily). If 1 pound loss = 10 points, would 1 pound gain = (-) 10 points?
    2013-10-08 10:45 PM

User image

Expert

Cheers,
    Stu

Hi Stu - A little confused (happens easily). If 1 pound loss = 10 points, would 1 pound gain = (-) 10 points?

Clearly, my idea that no weight gain = 5 points and go from there is confusing people. Since I've attempted to explain a couple of times and it isn't getting through, let's just call it, as James says above, 1 lb loss = 10 points, 1 lb gain = -10 points, staying even = 0 points. Relatively speaking, it makes no difference. I was just suggesting that the entire scale get shifted by 5 points, so that maintaining status quo would be seen as a positive thing during food season. No worries. I often overly complicate things.

10 points for every lb lost between now and Jan 1 (or conversely, -10 points for every lb gained)
    10 points for every 5 hours of training between now and Jan 1st (or 1 point per 30 minutes)

Whoever scores the most by Jan 1 gets the mug!

Stu
    2013-10-09 7:46 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple 10 points for every pound lost per week, where no weight gain equals 5 points. So, if you lost 2 lbs in a week, you'd score 25 points. If you gained 2 lbs in a week, you'd subtract 15 points from your total. Cheers, Stu
    Clearly, my idea that no weight gain = 5 points and go from there is confusing people. Since I've attempted to explain a couple of times and it isn't getting through, let's just call it, as James says above, 1 lb loss = 10 points, 1 lb gain = -10 points, staying even = 0 points. Relatively speaking, it makes no difference. I was just suggesting that the entire scale get shifted by 5 points, so that maintaining status quo would be seen as a positive thing during food season. No worries. I often overly complicate things. 10 points for every lb lost between now and Jan 1 (or conversely, -10 points for every lb gained) 10 points for every 5 hours of training between now and Jan 1st (or 1 point per 30 minutes) Whoever scores the most by Jan 1 gets the mug! Stu

Ahhh, now I understand.  You have to forgive me, I am an old man!  Cry

So when is our first 'reporting?'  Or I guess equally important, what is the 'start' date?

2013-10-09 7:54 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Clearly, my idea that no weight gain = 5 points and go from there is confusing people. Since I've attempted to explain a couple of times and it isn't getting through, let's just call it, as James says above, 1 lb loss = 10 points, 1 lb gain = -10 points, staying even = 0 points. Relatively speaking, it makes no difference. I was just suggesting that the entire scale get shifted by 5 points, so that maintaining status quo would be seen as a positive thing during food season. No worries. I often overly complicate things. 10 points for every lb lost between now and Jan 1 (or conversely, -10 points for every lb gained) 10 points for every 5 hours of training between now and Jan 1st (or 1 point per 30 minutes) Whoever scores the most by Jan 1 gets the mug! Stu

Just had a thought, I know amazing thing - especially this early in the morning.

We can still retain the idea of positive reinforcement for zero weight gain.  5 points if no weight change.  Only have that apply if there is zero weight change so any gain or loss would fall under the +/- 10 point 'rule.'  The positive reinforcement is there for no change, you gain points for losing weight, you lose points for too much pumpkin pie.  Then the training time points would be as previously stated?

Using that concept - 2 lb loss would be +20, 2 lb gain would be -20, zero weight change would be +5.

Like I said, just a thought.

2013-10-09 3:23 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

Cheers,
    Stu

Clearly, my idea that no weight gain = 5 points and go from there is confusing people. Since I've attempted to explain a couple of times and it isn't getting through, let's just call it, as James says above, 1 lb loss = 10 points, 1 lb gain = -10 points, staying even = 0 points. Relatively speaking, it makes no difference. I was just suggesting that the entire scale get shifted by 5 points, so that maintaining status quo would be seen as a positive thing during food season. No worries. I often overly complicate things.

10 points for every lb lost between now and Jan 1 (or conversely, -10 points for every lb gained)
    10 points for every 5 hours of training between now and Jan 1st (or 1 point per 30 minutes)

Stu

I like your idea for the 5 points for no weight gain. I understand the whole thing. I just didn't know how you came up with -15 point for 2 pounds gained. I thought the penalty would be -20. Could you show this dummy (me) the math on how you came up -15 in your original example? Thanks

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-09 8:32 PM
    2013-10-10 6:03 PM

User image

Regular

Cheers,
    Stu

Stu

I AM IN !!!!!!

I AM DOING TRI POWER PROGRAM. ITS A DAILY W/O IN ADDITION TO r/b/s....THAT OUGHTA HELP ME TOWARD A WIN FOR ANOTHER MUG.lol

2013-10-12 7:55 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    I think the 5 points for no weight gain per week is a good Idea

Just thought I would make an attempt to list out the rules.

Please let me know if it looks OK and whether you are in.

Thanks, James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-12 7:57 AM

(Stu Contest.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Stu Contest.jpg (67KB - 15 downloads)
    2013-10-12 6:36 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY I think the 5 points for no weight gain per week is a good Idea Just thought I would make an attempt to list out the rules. Please let me know if it looks OK and whether you are in. Thanks, James

Works for me.  I am in.

2013-10-13 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
    I'm in... and just in the nick of time... been gaining pretty much non-stop since mid-July and it needs to stop :-) Thanks James!
    2013-10-13 1:45 PM

Sounds good - I am also in.

i finished my last triathlon of 2013, and finished 2nd in age group.

My next major event is a half marathon on March 2nd, 2014. I really want to work on run time. The program that i am able to follow most consistently is the Galloway run/walk method. I also plan to continue with Crossfit 3X/week because it helps with flexibility, strength, etc. Question: how many bike and swim sessions are needed to maintain current level? Is 1X/week too few to just maintain?
    2013-10-14 5:38 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY I think the 5 points for no weight gain per week is a good Idea Just thought I would make an attempt to list out the rules. Please let me know if it looks OK and whether you are in. Thanks, James

I have kind of a silly question, well, actually a couple -

When we 'report' each week, how should we do it?  Only points?  Points with a breakdown of how we got the points?  Weight?  What should we put up?

Also, what constitutes a workout?  Only Tri-Sports (swim, bike, run) or are we including weights?  What about a spin class or a boot-camp class?  Not trying to be difficult, just trying to clarify since some of us occasionally do those other things.

2013-10-14 12:35 PM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Originally posted by k9car363

I have kind of a silly question, well, actually a couple -

When we 'report' each week, how should we do it?  Only points?  Points with a breakdown of how we got the points?  Weight?  What should we put up?

Also, what constitutes a workout?  Only Tri-Sports (swim, bike, run) or are we including weights?  What about a spin class or a boot-camp class?  Not trying to be difficult, just trying to clarify since some of us occasionally do those other things.

Feel free to chime in Stu.

I was thinking just list weight loss points and work out points, for example: "1 pound lost =10 points plus 10 points for 5 hours working out = plus 20 points for the week" . Just post like that on Sunday and I will post a total sheet on Monday nights.

Keep it simple, we are on the honor system here.

Any exercise would be included but use discretion. Like I would say that walking 18 holes of golf would not be included but cross training, weights, spin classes, etc. would be included.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37