BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-04 9:08 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Ok, first post-race workout done: 3,500 swim and 1:15 run. I could definitely tell that my body is still tired from Sunday, but I got through it; I would've felt terrible to miss a workout just because I was feeling tired. Also, Friday is my last day of school, so I can basically train like a pro right up until Louisville.

I'm really interested in the liquid-only approach to nutrition. I handled bike nutrition exactly as I wanted on the bike course of the race, but I just didn't want any solids on the run, even though I was always able to get some liquid down. That lasts, too. I burned 3-4,000 calories during the race, but could only get down a few pieces of pizza afterward, when I could normally eat a large pizza as an afternoon snack. I'm glad I have a few months to sort this out.

2013-06-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Alright everyone I need some help, please, please, please help me learn to breath bilaterally. I have tried several times to no avail it just is so unnatural to me. I end up drinking half the pool. I breathe on my right side, I've tried while on the kick board and that isn't a problem but once I bring the arms into play I just can't seem to get it. Any drills tips or tricks, or is it just struggle till i get it and get used to drinking the pool?
2013-06-05 2:09 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I'm really interested in the liquid-only approach to nutrition. I handled bike nutrition exactly as I wanted on the bike course of the race, but I just didn't want any solids on the run, even though I was always able to get some liquid down. That lasts, too. I burned 3-4,000 calories during the race, but could only get down a few pieces of pizza afterward, when I could normally eat a large pizza as an afternoon snack. I'm glad I have a few months to sort this out.

I'm totally okay with liquid only on the bike, but my dilemma is that when I run, I DESPISE carrying anything on me that won't fit in a pocket. Wearing a number belt is bad enough, but add two sloshing 10 oz bottles of fluid and it drives me nuts. I ran this morning (in 94% humidity--gah!) and took a handheld bottle. By mile 4 I just drank what was in it, passed by the car and threw it inside. Carrying that stuff really puts a cramp in my running stride...I prefer to 'live' off the course during a run. Problematic, I know.
2013-06-05 4:18 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by glfprncs Talk to me about nutrition...both for training and racing. Coming from the land of running, I've always used Gu gels and water. Once I ventured into the land beyond 13.1, I added in a sports drink (I trained with Accelerade because of the included protein in the mix). I have a bit of stomach sensitivity once the miles add on...peanut butter or the orange mandarin Gu is all I can tolerate. I finished my first full marathon with energy, no 'wall,' no cramps, and no stomach upset by utilizing every aid station, taking my Gu every 35-40 minutes with water, drinking a sports drink at alternate aid stations... The bike, though, creates a new situation, as does the extended distances. In addition, by the time the run comes around in a HIM, appropriate fuel becomes more important. I know everyone is different...was looking at the Infinit site today and may call them tomorrow for some more information. Thoughts???

I have used 100% liquids for all three IM.  Last year, I used an Infinit bike formula and then switched to an Infinit run formula which had almost no taste and no protein. I've used an FB for every IM marathon run and by the end I was totally ready to pitch it.  During marathon training I switched to blasts on the run and they worked like a champ.  It meant for my marathon I could drink water on the course and just reach inside my bra top for a blast every 2m.  Easy!!!  Loved it and no stomach issues and PLENTY OF ENERGY!!!

I think the key is dialing in how many CHOs you need per hour and then finding the right combo to get you to the finish line.  For me it is 40CHOs/hour on the bike and 30 CHOs/hour on the run (or until I can no longer tolerate them).  It'll be Inifnit with protein on the bike this year and blasts/blocks for the run.

2013-06-05 6:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Suzy....that is very helpful info. I've only run one full marathon, but I carried gels and got all my hydration on course (great energy, no wall, no crash, no cramps--I took in 30-40 carbs per hour on the run and my stomach held up fine. Just have to stick to the one flavor that didn't upset my stomach. Took in 4-6oz of fluid every 2 miles. The weather was perfect...low 70s, no humidity, and scattered clouds.

My HIM is late Sept, so I've got plenty of time to work this out. May try the Infinit on the bike and water/gels on the run.

The gels don't contain a ton of electrolytes, though, so in the GA heat, I may need to rethink that aspect on the run. I sweat a ton & am quite crusty/salty post ride/run.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-06-05 6:56 PM
2013-06-05 7:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by mrajki

Alright everyone I need some help, please, please, please help me learn to breath bilaterally. I have tried several times to no avail it just is so unnatural to me. I end up drinking half the pool. I breathe on my right side, I've tried while on the kick board and that isn't a problem but once I bring the arms into play I just can't seem to get it. Any drills tips or tricks, or is it just struggle till i get it and get used to drinking the pool?

I'm certainly no expert, but for me, bilateral breathing came quite easy ONCE I fixed my body position. I still struggle a smidge when I breathe to the right as I lose my balance and body position. It's gotten much better. My swim coach also told me that whatever I find uncomfortable or where I lose my balance, I need to spend twice as much time on that side until it feels natural. That advice has helped a ton.

I found some good information at the Swim Smooth website: http://www.swimsmooth.com/bilateral.html

In addition, when I'm swimming in open water or starting to get fatigued in the pool, I go to 3-2 breathing (not sure if that's what it's really called or not). I'll take three strokes, breathe left, take two strokes, breathe left, take three strokes, breathe right, two strokes, breathe right, and so on.

While in the pool, I'm also really trying to limit my head turn (when I turn too much, once again I lose my balance and body position, feet drop, hips drops, goes to hell in a handbasket). I read on here a few weeks ago about looking at the underside of the water with your 'bottom' eye. Lo and behold, you really can breathe with a limited head turn, AND you don't lose your body position!

Edited by glfprncs 2013-06-05 7:38 PM

2013-06-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Suzy-CHO? I assume this deals with calories/hour or something similar...maybe more technical?

Nancy-I'm with you on carrying any liquid on the run.  For carrying gels on the run I use a Spibelt...original model. www.spibelt.com  The nylon pocket easily expands to add gels etc without feeling you are carrying a bunch of stuff. Also has the little toggles to attach the race number. Doesn't feel like anything more than a regular race belt as the nylon pocket expands or contracts depending on how much is in it.

Finally all packed for the long drive to Eagleman. Good thing its only me as I have alot of crap!

2013-06-05 8:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by slornow

Suzy-CHO? I assume this deals with calories/hour or something similar...maybe more technical?

Nancy-I'm with you on carrying any liquid on the run.  For carrying gels on the run I use a Spibelt...original model. www.spibelt.com  The nylon pocket easily expands to add gels etc without feeling you are carrying a bunch of stuff. Also has the little toggles to attach the race number. Doesn't feel like anything more than a regular race belt as the nylon pocket expands or contracts depending on how much is in it.

Finally all packed for the long drive to Eagleman. Good thing its only me as I have alot of crap!

I had to do a google search for CHO...Carbohydrates/hour.

Save drive to Eagleman! Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the info on the Spibelt. When I ran my marathon, I wore a running skort with a back pocket...I stuffed 4 or 5 gels in there and had a few stuffed down the front of my sports bra. It was fine until they started to chafe. I couldn't WAIT to get those suckers out of my bra (clearly, I used those first!).
2013-06-06 5:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

DH's birthday is next month.....guess what he's getting? thanks for the tip!

Have a save trip and a good race. Can't wait to read all about it!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-06-06 5:53 AM
2013-06-06 5:41 AM

User image

Champion

Oops!  Sorry about that!  Yep, its carbs per hour.  I know there has been a lot of discussion in the tri ranks about really limiting CHOs during training and racing, but I have found that I am not nearly as effective when I do that (I used to be a water only girl on long runs) and recovery takes longer.  My coach and his nutritionist forced those levels upon me and I thought they were nuts in the beginning, but I have had better performances when fueled at that level.  Remember, I weight 103lbs and take in 30-40 CHOs/hour depending on the sport.  Some of you can get away with far greater levels given body weight.  Again, it's totally individual, but if you are getting gassed before the last few miles of the run, it may be worth playing around with it.  My two cents. 

Good luck on your race!  Check in when you're finished.

2013-06-06 7:43 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Veteran
Denton
I use Generation UCAN for my longer rides. I have one bottle with UCAN and one bottle of water. I switch back and forth between water and UCAN and on top of the hour I usually trow in an Amrita bar. This has worked well for me. 

2013-06-06 8:00 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I don't go by carbs per hour but rather by calories per hour, although the vast majority of my training/racing calories come from carbs as they are easily consumed and utilized.

When I first started racing I was taking in mostly gels with a little bit of glucose/electrolyte drink. In several races, including my first IM, I had some GI issues (I'll just say diarrhea, after all, I've already told you that I pee on my bike). For IMAZ last year I switched to an all fluids nutrition plan. My goal in racing is to get 4-6 CALORIES/kg/hour in while on the bike. For a 70 kg guy (I am 66 kg right now) that is 280-420 calories/hour (lets just round it to 300-400 calories/hour). You will be burning way more than that amount, but your body just can't process anywhere near what you are burning while at race pace, so you have to make do and get in what you can.

It is fairly easy to mix 20 ounce water bottles with 400 (or more) calories per bottle. I am using an Infinit blend, two scoops per bottle. However, I have gone crazy and I also put in a packet of "Generation U-Can" in each bottle. This gets my bottle close to 400 calories with some rapidly available carbohydrate, a very little bit of protein, electrolytes, caffeine + the 'slow-release' super sugar that U-Can claims. I am shooting to drink one bottle per hour on the bike. I might drink the first bottle a little faster than an hour because I am already at a calorie deficit from my time in the water. When I finish the first bottle I drop it at one of the exchanges and pick up a bottle of water. I add in some water drinking but still try to get in close to one bottle per hour of my glucose/electrolyte mixture. At Eagleman last year I was doing exactly this and decided to take a gel and my stomach did not like this so much so I have made the executive decision to stick with fluids only. I'm not even going to carry a gel with me.

My bike is set up with two bottle holders, one between the handlebars and one behind my seat. In a HIM, I plan on being on the bike for 2:30 (or less--doesn't always happen that way). 800 calories total, in two bottles, divide by 2.5 (my hours on the bike) gives me 320 calories/hour. Well within my goal consumption. I can always grab a bottle of whatever sports drink they are handing out on the course if things go a little bit long. It is always good to try out the on-course drink beforehand to make sure you tolerate it ok. I don't really like Perform so that is an issue for me at WTC races, but I can take it if I have to.

I don't carry anything on the run or calculate any calories on the run. As I said before, I hate running with a fuel belt or hand-held bottle holder or anything else. I know Crowie and Potts and a bunch of those guys do it. I often wonder if they would if they weren't sponsored by the various companies. The courses have plenty of aid stations. I have worked really hard to get lean, I don't want to carry an extra pound or two around a race course on the run. I grab one cup of whatever has calories in it from each aid station and try to drink it all (dixie-cup size, not much) plus I grab as many waters as I can. I try to get one water in my mouth but I pour most of the water over my head and jersey at each aid station to try to stay cool. My goal is just to consume whatever I can without slowing down. I know I can't take in anywhere near 300 calories/hour while running at race pace so I just take in what I can. Coke is the elixir of the gods when you are running a long course event. I know some people wait until the second half of the run to drink Coke but I start in on it as soon as it is offered.

This has gotten pretty long but I want to address two other things briefly: One, salt tabs/electrolytes. It is my personal opinion that cramping happens when you exceed your fitness level at an event. In other words, you have pushed your muscles harder than they were prepared to go. Your body is incredibly efficient at maintaining electrolyte homeostasis even in the face of huge losses of electrolytes via sweat. I get all of my electrolytes from my sports drink mix. Two, GI upset. you will see this talked about a lot in race reports. I believe this to be a combo of nutritional mistakes and again, exceeding your body's fitness level. I have certainly been guilty of both sides of this. We need to work out nutrition in training. We need to make sure that at least some of that nutritional experimentation occurs at race pace otherwise it is not a good simulation.

I am happy to answer questions or expand things further. I am not an expert. This is what is currently working for me. There are a lot of ways to handle your nutrition and any one of those ways is great, as long as it works for you.
2013-06-06 8:16 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mrajki

This is a great thread about breathing and how to make it feel effortless:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

When I breathe, on both sides, I try to not lift my head at all. Keep your head in-line with your body. Only turn your head enough to get one eye and your mouth out of the water. You don't need to get your whole face out of the water. Adventure Bear, in the above link, talks about seeing the "shimmer" of the bottom side of the water with your eye that is in the water. That has been a great way for me to think about it while swimming. I think the uncoordinated feel of breathing on your 'off side' makes people want to lift their head way out of the water and that totally destroys your swim stroke.

As someone else posted earlier in our forum (I think) make sure you exhale under water. Most of the shortness of breath you feel is not from oxygen deprivation but instead from CO2 buildup. There is no reason you can't get rid of that CO2 while your face is in the water.

Take your time inhaling. You have time. Slow down your stroke while you are learning this. Take the time to inhale. Don't try to get it all done in a microsecond. Until you figure out how to breathe on your bad side, go slow and really breathe.

Make a game of it. Decide for a swim session that you are only going to look at one side of the pool. This way going down you breathe on your left but coming back you have to breathe on your right.

Try breathing every third stroke for awhile.

Experiment with breathing on your off side while using hand paddles and a pull buoy. For some reason this makes bilateral breathing really easy for me. Use them for awhile until you get the rhythm down and then go without.

Hope this helps somewhat.
2013-06-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I don't go by carbs per hour but rather by calories per hour, although the vast majority of my training/racing calories come from carbs as they are easily consumed and utilized.

When I first started racing I was taking in mostly gels with a little bit of glucose/electrolyte drink. In several races, including my first IM, I had some GI issues (I'll just say diarrhea, after all, I've already told you that I pee on my bike). For IMAZ last year I switched to an all fluids nutrition plan. My goal in racing is to get 4-6 CALORIES/kg/hour in while on the bike. For a 70 kg guy (I am 66 kg right now) that is 280-420 calories/hour (lets just round it to 300-400 calories/hour). You will be burning way more than that amount, but your body just can't process anywhere near what you are burning while at race pace, so you have to make do and get in what you can.

It is fairly easy to mix 20 ounce water bottles with 400 (or more) calories per bottle. I am using an Infinit blend, two scoops per bottle. However, I have gone crazy and I also put in a packet of "Generation U-Can" in each bottle. This gets my bottle close to 400 calories with some rapidly available carbohydrate, a very little bit of protein, electrolytes, caffeine + the 'slow-release' super sugar that U-Can claims. I am shooting to drink one bottle per hour on the bike. I might drink the first bottle a little faster than an hour because I am already at a calorie deficit from my time in the water. When I finish the first bottle I drop it at one of the exchanges and pick up a bottle of water. I add in some water drinking but still try to get in close to one bottle per hour of my glucose/electrolyte mixture. At Eagleman last year I was doing exactly this and decided to take a gel and my stomach did not like this so much so I have made the executive decision to stick with fluids only. I'm not even going to carry a gel with me.

My bike is set up with two bottle holders, one between the handlebars and one behind my seat. In a HIM, I plan on being on the bike for 2:30 (or less--doesn't always happen that way). 800 calories total, in two bottles, divide by 2.5 (my hours on the bike) gives me 320 calories/hour. Well within my goal consumption. I can always grab a bottle of whatever sports drink they are handing out on the course if things go a little bit long. It is always good to try out the on-course drink beforehand to make sure you tolerate it ok. I don't really like Perform so that is an issue for me at WTC races, but I can take it if I have to.

I don't carry anything on the run or calculate any calories on the run. As I said before, I hate running with a fuel belt or hand-held bottle holder or anything else. I know Crowie and Potts and a bunch of those guys do it. I often wonder if they would if they weren't sponsored by the various companies. The courses have plenty of aid stations. I have worked really hard to get lean, I don't want to carry an extra pound or two around a race course on the run. I grab one cup of whatever has calories in it from each aid station and try to drink it all (dixie-cup size, not much) plus I grab as many waters as I can. I try to get one water in my mouth but I pour most of the water over my head and jersey at each aid station to try to stay cool. My goal is just to consume whatever I can without slowing down. I know I can't take in anywhere near 300 calories/hour while running at race pace so I just take in what I can. Coke is the elixir of the gods when you are running a long course event. I know some people wait until the second half of the run to drink Coke but I start in on it as soon as it is offered.

This has gotten pretty long but I want to address two other things briefly: One, salt tabs/electrolytes. It is my personal opinion that cramping happens when you exceed your fitness level at an event. In other words, you have pushed your muscles harder than they were prepared to go. Your body is incredibly efficient at maintaining electrolyte homeostasis even in the face of huge losses of electrolytes via sweat. I get all of my electrolytes from my sports drink mix. Two, GI upset. you will see this talked about a lot in race reports. I believe this to be a combo of nutritional mistakes and again, exceeding your body's fitness level. I have certainly been guilty of both sides of this. We need to work out nutrition in training. We need to make sure that at least some of that nutritional experimentation occurs at race pace otherwise it is not a good simulation.

I am happy to answer questions or expand things further. I am not an expert. This is what is currently working for me. There are a lot of ways to handle your nutrition and any one of those ways is great, as long as it works for you.

Thanks for posting this! Looking at my race last weekend, I'm happy with my results and I think I raced to my fitness. However, nutrition was not my strong suit, and I'm going to try over the next few months to really focus on it. I did well with it on the bike, but I didn't follow a plan on the run. I don't think I can handle Gu's for long, especially on the run. So, I have some follow-up questions, if you don't mind!

1. How do you mix on the bike? I'm thinking of following your one bottle in handlebars and one behind, since I found at the race that they were giving out bottles of water, not water bottles. Do you keep your mix on you and then just pour it in the bottles?
2. What size container do you keep up front? I am going to start looking for one this week.

Thanks again for all the info, Jason!

-Jamie
2013-06-06 9:10 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Obviously I have some time today....

Thanks for posting this! Looking at my race last weekend, I'm happy with my results and I think I raced to my fitness. However, nutrition was not my strong suit, and I'm going to try over the next few months to really focus on it. I did well with it on the bike, but I didn't follow a plan on the run. I don't think I can handle Gu's for long, especially on the run. So, I have some follow-up questions, if you don't mind!

1. How do you mix on the bike? I'm thinking of following your one bottle in handlebars and one behind, since I found at the race that they were giving out bottles of water, not water bottles. Do you keep your mix on you and then just pour it in the bottles?

I don't mix anything on the bike. In a HIM, the two bottles I start with are my primary nutrition plan. If I go through both and feel like I can take in some more calories, I am going to pick up a bottle at one of the exchanges and use that. I don't have the time,or coordination, to mix anything while racing (that might change slightly at IM distance as I would just take the 45 seconds or so to mix stuff if I really felt I needed it). At IM distance I start with two pre-mixed bottles on the bike and pick up two more of the exact same mix (already mixed in two new bottles) at bike special needs. Make sure you have finished off your other bottles as you roll in to special needs. Grab your two new, pre-filled bottles out of the special needs bag, and get going. I do come to a complete stop to do this. It probably takes 15-30 seconds and I would rather sacrifice that time than crash while trying to rummage through my special needs bag.

2. What size container do you keep up front? I am going to start looking for one this week.

I have a standard water bottle cage mounted, torpedo style, between my handlebars that I put one of my 20 ounce bike bottles in. When that bottle is empty I trade it out for the identical bottle that is in the holder behind my seat. At the aid station I drop my empty, grab a water bottle, put it behind my seat and go. If I finish my nutrition bottle before the next aid station I switch it for the water bottle.

I have also raced with a Profile Design aero drink in the past. I actually really like this although the aero weenies will tell you that there is an aerodynamic penalty to using it. I think over the course of a long race the advantages may outweigh any aero penalty. I think the aero drink holds about 30 ounces. I mix it up with my standard drink (see above). The difference, and the beauty of the aero drink, is that you can refill it on the fly. As I would roll through an aid station I would often grab a water bottle and squeeze it in to the aero drink container, dropping the water bottle before I got out of the aid station. This would dilute my mixture but it would essentially allow me to drink my water and my glucose/electrolytes at the same time. If I ever felt like it was getting too dilute I would just reach back, grab the bottle behind the seat with 'mix' in it and squeeze some of that in to the aero drink. It worked great. In fact, almost too great. I found that with the aero drink I was taking in a lot of fluids. So much so, that I was peeing all of the time (see previous thread topic that I will deny ever happened). In my case, switching to the standard water bottle has put a tiny limiter on my consumption and it seems that I am pretty spot-on with fluid intake matching needs. Again, a lot of experimenting goes in to this.

If you would like my aero drink, I don't think I am planning on using it in the future. It has been through several races but still works great. I think I could find all of the mounting hardware if I searched around a bit.
2013-06-06 9:30 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jason. Where do you mount your garmin/joule when using the bottle between the aerobars?

2013-06-06 9:30 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Reasonably proud of myself -- I've been on the road this week, but still managed to get in a couple of workouts (60 minute stationary bike last night, and a very-short 20 minute treadmill run this morning).  Not great, but better than nothing.  

Exciting news - my tri is holding open-water swim practice at the lake where we're competing next weekend.  I'm signed up for Saturday afternoon.  First chance to use my new (used) wetsuit, and first OWS since my tri last September.  Please pray for warm water.  Smile

2013-06-06 9:51 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy, I have experimented with this a little. On my old bike, I tried to jury-rig a mount on to the water bottle holder. This did not work great (not as stable as I would like) but did work. It also put the computer way up in the wind which I didn't like so much. I then moved it down to the stem where it is rock solid but it is out of my line of sight so I had to duck my head to see it.

On the Shiv, it mounts right to the stem and is readily visible and easily accessible, plus it is hidden behind the water bottle out of the wind.

Steve (our mutual coach for others reading this) has some sort of mount on an arm that mounts to his aero bars and brings his computer (garmin 500?) up over the water bottle. It looks a little un-aerodynamic too me but doesn't seem to slow him down much . You may want to shoot him an email and ask about it.
2013-06-06 2:13 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
On the right I don't have any problems, on my left for some reason I lift my head and just can't seem to make it work. Practice makes perfect I guess.
2013-06-06 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I believe Profile Design is now making a bottle cage that comes with the garmin mount behind the bottle.

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration---nutrition/all-hydration/aero-hc-system.html

Edited by d3term1ned 2013-06-06 2:34 PM
2013-06-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

I'm still struggling to drink anything at all on the bike lol It seems like A LOT of coordination to lift the bottle whilst continuing to pedal and hold on to handle bars without swerving.

Wetsuit trial on Tuesday was brilliant. A bit uncomfortable to start with but I felt OK pretty quickly. Going to do my first OWS this Sunday, I'm a bit nervous... but looking forward to it.
Actually this weekend is pretty exciting, DH and I are going away for the weekend to a lakes/river/sea area (he's going fishing) and since we'll have no kids with us and an amazing scenery I'll actually be able to do 2 good training sessions. My plan is to do a long bike ride around the lough, get a nap then go for a longish run before a delicious picnic with champagne, fresh fruits, crusty bread... You can tell I don't get out often can't you? lol

2013-06-06 5:36 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Champion

Originally posted by tatous I'm still struggling to drink anything at all on the bike lol It seems like A LOT of coordination to lift the bottle whilst continuing to pedal and hold on to handle bars without swerving. Wetsuit trial on Tuesday was brilliant. A bit uncomfortable to start with but I felt OK pretty quickly. Going to do my first OWS this Sunday, I'm a bit nervous... but looking forward to it. Actually this weekend is pretty exciting, DH and I are going away for the weekend to a lakes/river/sea area (he's going fishing) and since we'll have no kids with us and an amazing scenery I'll actually be able to do 2 good training sessions. My plan is to do a long bike ride around the lough, get a nap then go for a longish run before a delicious picnic with champagne, fresh fruits, crusty bread... You can tell I don't get out often can't you? lol

Do you have clip on aero bars? if so, this is what I use.  It is 100% hand free until you need to fill it at one of the aid stations. Works like a charm.  There are other options out there with single chamber bottles, but this allows me to carry H20 and Infinit in the same unit.

As far as mounting the Garmin, I think they are called a flybar.  I looked at those for my Parlee, but it did not work out given my hydration system.

2013-06-06 8:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey Gang! What a day of travel. Left the house this morning at 5:20am CST and got to the hotel at 8:00pm EST. Lots of rain and 2 separate one hour traffic delays made for a long day. Checked in and did an easy run on the treadmill to get the legs moving a bit. Tomorrow should be much easier as I am only about 4 hours from the race location now. Looks like a good bit of rain over the next day or so and a high of 86 on Sunday. Hoping the rain and cooler temps will keep the swim wetsuit legal. It has hovered in the 73-74.3 range the last few days. Am I the only one that prefers swimming in a wetsuit

I've used several of the between the aerobar systems. Got the new Profile Design system that Michael linked about 2 weeks ago and used it in my race last weekend. I like the setup and the Garmin is secure on its mount but it sits further back than I would like as I have to look downward and away from the road to check it. Wish they made the same setup with the Garmin mount in front of the bottle. May have a small cost from an aerodynamics standpoint but I figure its no worse than me changing my head position to look down....plus it would be so much nicer to have it in my forward field of vision.

I will probably use my Torhans 30 for the HIM on Sunday since it has a larger capacity than a standard bottle . I also have the "accessory tray" and will mount my Garmin there. It puts the Garmin in roughly the same place as the Profile Design but up a little higher. Again, if you could mount the accessory tray in front of the bottle it would be much more convenient for viewing data.

I have the Barfly TT mount that Suzy referenced and it works really well....but not with a bottle between the aerobars. I might be able to make it work in front of the bottle but my bar wrap is too thick for it to fit right now. Might try to keep an area of the wrap thin next time and see if I can make it work.

Jason-on your Shiv do you use the fluid bladder?      

2013-06-06 10:07 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I don't use the fluid bladder. Originally I found it really hard to suck water out of and kind of abandoned it last season and have not really revisited it. I actually have a spare tube and a CO2 cannister with the inflation head on it in the tube where the bladder would go. I have a piece of wire gently wrapped around it so I can fish it out quickly if I need it. It may be time to put the bladder back in there and see if I can make it work although I am pretty satisfied with my current setup. I think there is even some wind tunnel data out there that having the bottle between your arms, torpedo style, fills in the aerodynamic 'void' between your arms and is faster than if there is no bottle there.

Glad your drive was safe. Just a word of warning: a lot of people from VA, DC, Baltimore, etc head out to the beaches in the same area as the race is at. There is only one road in to and out of that area. If you wait until the afternoon, you will be sitting in a lot of traffic. I would try to be to your hotel by the early afternoon to avoid this. It was frustrating last year. All that traffic has to get back to the cities as well, so Sunday evening can be crazy. We almost missed our flight home last year because of the traffic.

The folks over on ST seem to be predicting a low pressure zone behind tropical storm Andrea with ideal racing conditions at Eagleman. It might be a very fast day. I suspect you are going to scorch that bike course
2013-06-06 10:16 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I suspect that I would probably not use the fluid bladder either. Sounds like a good idea but not sure I would like it.

I'm going to cross over onto the Eastern Shore of Virginia from Norfolk to avoid the DC/Baltimore traffic. Might be a little further in distance but should be less busy. I grew up in the Hampton Roads area and am familar with crossing the Bay Bridge Tunnel to approach from the South. Seems to be some variation in weather predictions for Sunday. I'm regularly checking 2 different weather sites as well as the NOAA site for water temps.....Worried or optimistic depending on each forecast

Jason-any words of wisdom about the race....other than "don't crash"? You had a great race last year.

Who else is racing this weekend?    

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88