General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-04-21 8:50 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

This is the first time in a while that I'm actually on deck with my training... I haven't missed anything yet... Of course, it's pretty bad that I'm happy about that on the second day of the week.... *shame*....

I went into work early yesterday so that I could 1) Knock out the boatload of Nissan/Infiniti Recalls we have on the lot, and 2) Get home early to spend Easter with my kids and family. So I didn't bike yesterday before work. After all the Easter festivites were over, and the kids were playing outside, I managed to make myself scarce, grab the bike and take off on my basic training route. Went 13.3mi in 50:41 (15.9 avg) which rocks because I want to be at 16+mph avg for the sprint. After the youngest 3 kiddos were in bed, I took off again on foot. Still using a C25K trainer, I went 2.5 in 35:05 which is 13:49, but that includes 5 minute warm-up and cool down, run/walk intervals, and a bit more time to get back to the house when I was done... I've found a good pace, and my best mile last night was 12:07, So I'm doing pretty good getting to my 5K goal of 37:20.

Hit the pool this morning. Thanks to my awesome wife, I'm getting more time at the pool on Mondays bacause she's getting the kids up and off to school. This is so awesome because she works Monday nights, and getting up at 6am deprives her of sleep. I went 50, 100, 150, 200, 250.... 450!!!!! That's right, I hit my quarter mile goal this morning. I was going for 300, felt good and thought "It's only another 3 laps..." I followed that with my usual 50 x2 kick drills and called it a morning because I was out of time.

Tonight I WILL do my strength training, and I WILL do 100% training this week!

3 weeks, 5 days

GOOD JOB ON THE 450!!! WOO HOO!

2014-04-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
last night I got to swim for the first time in awhile. Pool was not crowded by kids last evening for once. I swam 1k. I know I need 1.5k for itu Chicago in about 2 months but still something. I think the weight lifting alternative helped me out.
2014-04-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I realize I have about 60 days to lose about 30 lbs. Good news more like 28 Lbs in 64 days. I guess I need to really push forward. I have been slacking.
2014-04-22 8:11 PM

User image

That's approx. 9 weeks - at 3 lbs a week you can do it.

It will be challenging and you cannot go off course.
If you do go off course, don't let one day turn into a week!
2014-04-23 5:45 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by chirunner134 I realize I have about 60 days to lose about 30 lbs. Good news more like 28 Lbs in 64 days. I guess I need to really push forward. I have been slacking.

You can do it with determination.

Nice, nice swim!

2014-04-23 7:22 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
chirunner134: You can do it. The biggest thing to remember is that you can't out-exercise a bad diet (of course, I'm sure you already know this...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still on track to make all my training this week.

Monday night, I ran out of time for a full strength training session, but I did manage to get a single set of everything in before it was all said and done.

Yesterday was kind of ful. The only thing scheduled is my evening run. I went out last night pushing my youngest in the stroller just for giggles. Yeah.. that wasn't fun... I knew it would be a bit harder, but having to change up my form that much and try not to kick the wheels while running... Oh well, the smile on her face while I was running was enough to make we want to do it more often. I ended up going 2.5mi in 35:30. After I got home and iced my leg a bit, I loaded up all 4 kids, and went to the HS track. Bekah, my 8yr old, want to run, so I took her to see what she could do... We walked the first lap to warm up then took off.. All 3 laps, Bekah took off trying to keep up with Jacob, my 14yr old. She burned out at a quarter lap each time. Kiera, my 5yr old, took her time and managed a half lap all 3 times (and she's pretty stocky too). I let Jacob do his own thing because he hates running more than I do, lol! It was nice to get them out and active tho. We ended up going a mile total.

2014-04-23 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak chirunner134: You can do it. The biggest thing to remember is that you can't out-exercise a bad diet (of course, I'm sure you already know this...) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am still on track to make all my training this week. Monday night, I ran out of time for a full strength training session, but I did manage to get a single set of everything in before it was all said and done. Yesterday was kind of ful. The only thing scheduled is my evening run. I went out last night pushing my youngest in the stroller just for giggles. Yeah.. that wasn't fun... I knew it would be a bit harder, but having to change up my form that much and try not to kick the wheels while running... Oh well, the smile on her face while I was running was enough to make we want to do it more often. I ended up going 2.5mi in 35:30. After I got home and iced my leg a bit, I loaded up all 4 kids, and went to the HS track. Bekah, my 8yr old, want to run, so I took her to see what she could do... We walked the first lap to warm up then took off.. All 3 laps, Bekah took off trying to keep up with Jacob, my 14yr old. She burned out at a quarter lap each time. Kiera, my 5yr old, took her time and managed a half lap all 3 times (and she's pretty stocky too). I let Jacob do his own thing because he hates running more than I do, lol! It was nice to get them out and active tho. We ended up going a mile total.

That is fantastic quality time with your kids! Planting seeds for activity early is great. Nice job on getting out there with the stroller. That is hard work- you are turning your youngest in to a speed junky who yearns for the wind in her face ! I am always amazed at races, when these tiny beings pushing strollers pass me like they are doing nothing!

2014-04-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

That is fantastic quality time with your kids! Planting seeds for activity early is great. Nice job on getting out there with the stroller. That is hard work- you are turning your youngest in to a speed junky who yearns for the wind in her face ! I am always amazed at races, when these tiny beings pushing strollers pass me like they are doing nothing!

At one of the "race for the cure" races in Memphis (it was between 99-01) one of the runners took a podium spot pushing a stroller... it was INSANE
2014-04-23 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

At one of the "race for the cure" races in Memphis (it was between 99-01) one of the runners took a podium spot pushing a stroller... it was INSANE

I am not surprised by that. If you have good form leaning over to push the stroller will cause you to move faster. You can put some of your weight on the wheels making yourself lighter. Maybe on hills its harder but its the course is pretty flat I bet with practice you might be faster. I have no proof just what I recall from pushing shopping carts as a kid.
2014-04-23 1:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

I am not surprised by that. If you have good form leaning over to push the stroller will cause you to move faster. You can put some of your weight on the wheels making yourself lighter. Maybe on hills its harder but its the course is pretty flat I bet with practice you might be faster. I have no proof just what I recall from pushing shopping carts as a kid.

Jogging strollers are made to wheelie easily. Especially the ones with a fixed front wheel. You can't put a whole lot of weight on the bar.
2014-04-24 8:17 AM

User image

Quick update:

I'm still on track for 100% training this week. Went out for my Thurs run this morning. My calves started out a bit stiff and got worse . Of course, Ice and TB massage were on tap afterwards and I'm walking with some semblance of normalcy, lol! This morning called for a 20 min run with 5 minutes of warm up and cool down. Of course, my cool down is always a bit longer since it's necessary to get home afterwards . I can't recall my numbers right off hand, but I do remember my 2nd mile (had about 40yds of cool down walking since my 20:00 was up) was right about 12:10. I'm actually pretty happy with my progress especially since I've been working around injury.

I've got a couple of quick questions:

Firstly, I'm thinking about swapping my Sat rest day with my Sunday Bike/Run day. This would start my training week on Saturday, and since the bowling season is over for Jacob, that would give me more time in the morning to bike/run/brick. Right now I bike Sun morning before work and run Sun evening after church, and bricks are hard to schedule. I'd end up with:

Sat AM: Ride - PM: Run OR/ Sat AM: Brick
Sun: Rest
Mon AM: Rest - PM: Strength Train
Tue PM: Run
Wed: Rest
Thur AM: Run - PM: Ride (usually group)
Fri AM: Swim - PM: Strength

I like this better because of more time available Sat AM to train and it gives me rest days between runs. Also on Sat event days, that would take the place of training and automatically place a rest day post-event.

My second question is about stretching. I'm doing basic stretches daily and before/after workouts. I'd like to find a good whole-body routine to do daily. I see people talk about an hour-long sessions... I'd LOVE to find one of these

3 weeks, 2 days!!

2014-04-24 8:54 AM

User image

30 minute edit limit is too quick... lol!

Mon AM: SWIM - PM: Strength Train
2014-04-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Hi all, I'd love to join this group -- I must admit I've been lurking a bit.

Name: Joline

Story: I am 28 years old, and I just started training for my first triathlon using one of the basic plans on this site -- I am doing the NJ State Triathlon Sprint in July. I have been thinking about doing a triathlon for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. I swam in high school and have bike commuted off and on for several years, so I am feeling much more comfortable with the swim and the bike than I am with the run. I have been doing the 16 week run focused plan, and to my surprise, I have been really enjoying the days I run.

Family Status: No kids, serious boyfriend who has been incredibly supportive.

Current Training: Using the sixteen week run focused plan to train for the sprint -- I'm about a month in. I live in Philly, and go to a local Y for my swims and bike/runs if its too cold and/or rainy outside.

2014 races: Currently signed up for the NJ State Triathlon, and will be doing a 5K at the Philadelphia Zoo this Sunday. May add a few more 5ks in as I focus on my running.

Weightloss: I am 5'8" and my weight has been steadily climbing over the last few years from the mid 170s up to around 190. I have experimented with counting calories and with weight watchers and I find myself getting very grumpy and less interested in exercise. I decided to focus on exercise a couple of months ago and am hoping that getting into a steady exercise groove will help me start eating better, and at least help me maintain my weight.

2014-04-24 2:18 PM
in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jolinebean Hi all, I'd love to join this group -- I must admit I've been lurking a bit. Name: Joline Story: I am 28 years old, and I just started training for my first triathlon using one of the basic plans on this site -- I am doing the NJ State Triathlon Sprint in July. I have been thinking about doing a triathlon for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. I swam in high school and have bike commuted off and on for several years, so I am feeling much more comfortable with the swim and the bike than I am with the run. I have been doing the 16 week run focused plan, and to my surprise, I have been really enjoying the days I run. Family Status: No kids, serious boyfriend who has been incredibly supportive. Current Training: Using the sixteen week run focused plan to train for the sprint -- I'm about a month in. I live in Philly, and go to a local Y for my swims and bike/runs if its too cold and/or rainy outside. 2014 races: Currently signed up for the NJ State Triathlon, and will be doing a 5K at the Philadelphia Zoo this Sunday. May add a few more 5ks in as I focus on my running. Weightloss: I am 5'8" and my weight has been steadily climbing over the last few years from the mid 170s up to around 190. I have experimented with counting calories and with weight watchers and I find myself getting very grumpy and less interested in exercise. I decided to focus on exercise a couple of months ago and am hoping that getting into a steady exercise groove will help me start eating better, and at least help me maintain my weight.

Welcome Joline. Glad you jumped in!

2014-04-24 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak 30 minute edit limit is too quick... lol! Mon AM: SWIM - PM: Strength Train

I think your new plan looks better. And if it gives you more family time, so much the better.

I am eagerly awaiting someones response to your hour long stretching routine.

2014-04-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Been derailed with the flu all week! I even had my shot!
Ugh. Got a 5 k this weekend as well

2014-04-24 10:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by jolinebean

Story: I am 28 years old, and I just started training for my first triathlon using one of the basic plans on this site -- I am doing the NJ State Triathlon Sprint in July. I have been thinking about doing a triathlon for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. I swam in high school and have bike commuted off and on for several years, so I am feeling much more comfortable with the swim and the bike than I am with the run. I have been doing the 16 week run focused plan, and to my surprise, I have been really enjoying the days I run.

Current Training: Using the sixteen week run focused plan to train for the sprint -- I'm about a month in. I live in Philly, and go to a local Y for my swims and bike/runs if its too cold and/or rainy outside.

2014 races: Currently signed up for the NJ State Triathlon, and will be doing a 5K at the Philadelphia Zoo this Sunday. May add a few more 5ks in as I focus on my running.

Weightloss: I am 5'8" and my weight has been steadily climbing over the last few years from the mid 170s up to around 190. I have experimented with counting calories and with weight watchers and I find myself getting very grumpy and less interested in exercise. I decided to focus on exercise a couple of months ago and am hoping that getting into a steady exercise groove will help me start eating better, and at least help me maintain my weight.

Hi Joline!

I agree that focusing on completing a tri is much more fun than eating less! I have wasted too much of my time trying to be a certain weight and not enough on enjoying life.

Good luck with your 5k, sounds like a lot of fun running at a zoo!

Donna
2014-04-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Donna, agreed! I've been feeling so much better and happier in my body recently since I started doing some sort of exercise 6 days a week.

Thanks for the welcomes!
2014-04-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4986696

User image

I blew my complete training week last night. Biking in a thunderstorm is on my no-no list.

Hit the Y to swim late this morning. Swam 100 yds to warm up, then put down an 18:00 450. Did kick drills for 50x2 and attempted a breast stroke and failed. Got pulled to change a diaper then swam another 450 in 14:00. Another 50x2 on kick drills and I called it a day.
2014-04-25 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4987108

User image

Joline,

I think your approach is solid
Get a nice base under your belt - then work on the calorie counts
2014-04-26 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4987196

User image

With my schedule switch, I had a big 'old brick for breakfast.

13.4 bike in 51:00
2.6 mi intervals in 33:26

2014-04-26 9:47 AM

User image

good job WFF - how was the transition?
2014-04-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4987355

User image

I took about 3-4 minutes. Went in the house and to the garage. While the garage was opening, I stripped my helmet and orange vest and threw my hat on. Tossed my bike in the garage and grabbed my house key from the seat bag. Stretched my calves, took a swig of water and took off. Since I don't have clipless yet, I didn't have to worry about shoes. I also wore my tri shorts for the first time... quite comfy! In transition, I should be in and out in under 2 min.
2014-04-28 5:32 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by jolinebean

Welcome to the group, Joline.

This group will certainly help to keep you on track.

NJ State is a big race weekend for me and my family too. I'm doing the sprint. My 17 yr old is too. My wife and 13 yr old are doing the sprint relay (Randi swim, Danny bike and run). Then on Sunday my wife is doing the Olympic Aquavelo. Not to mention that NJ State is the main triathlon for Team Ryan's Quest. We will also have training rides and runs on the actual course starting soon.
2014-04-28 5:43 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
Happy Monday!

I ran the Long Branch Half Marathon yesterday. My 2nd half ever, only 4 weeks after my first. I finished in 2:32.22. That's almost 6 minutes faster than Philly (2:38.19). The weather was so much better than Philly. Skies were clear and the sun was shining. Temp was around 45 at the 6:50am start and climbed towards 50 at the finish. I did start to have some pain in my foot and toes at mile 8-9 but didn't let it deter me. I was pacing with the 2:30 pace team until that point. I fell back a little and then kicked to the finish (too early). I thought I had passed mile 12 so I started a kick to the finish. Problem... I was only at 11.5ish. The last 1/2 mile kicked by butt and I wanted to walk but I wouldn't let myself stop. While I would have loved to break the 2:30 mark, I'm very happy with my time. Funny thing is, my GPS told me I did 13.1 right at 2:30, but my overall distance was 13.32. I guess I need to learn to run a straighter line!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28419 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100918 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16570 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30465 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?