Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-08-21 11:44 AM
in reply to: #933884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Hey Caru! First, don't beat yourself up if you have a bad swim day or run day or bike day! It happens!

I think of my strokes and breathing like a waltz..... 1, 2, 3, breath, 1, 2, 3 breath or Left, Right, Left breath to the right side, Right, Left, Right and breath to the left.

Benefits:

1) Don't use up energy unnecessarily by breathing every third stroke
2) You can spot three ways..... to the sides, and to the front.
3) Easier to maintain an aerodynamic poster or body alignment with a three stroke breathe technique.

It takes time to find the alignment. I really didn't start swimming until about 4 years ago. I used the last clinic as a tune up on body alignment and a check on my technique. The instructor was my coach at the Swim Masters class and was very surprised on how much improvement I had made. My focus had and will be technique.

You will have days in the water where you feel like a fish out of water. I refer them to my Shamu Days! I feel like a whale in the water. But then I have days that I'm a bullet in the water. So expect to have days where you are struggling....it is a signal to you to check your technique.

Hope this helped!

Rich

2007-08-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi Everyone!  I've just been plugging along with life the last few weeks.  Nothing exciting as far as workouts, races, etc.  It's begining to get a little hectic around here...school starts next week, buying clothes, backpacks, lunchboxes, shoes, etc. has taken priority over workouts.  Plus I go back to teaching too.  My husband says I become a "crazed" woman at the beginning of the year.  I just have alot to do to get organized!  Anyways, I hope everyone can find some time to breath. 

Rich, glad you had a nice vacation.  Sounds like you saw some wonderful places in the good ole' USA.

Andi, being able to take your little ones to the pool and have them cooperate so well says volumes on your parenting! That's great!  I've very excited for you and your first tri!  You're going to do great!

Kat, hang in there.  I hope your household gets to feeling better!

Caru and Felipe...good luck on Sunday's race...I'll be anxiously awaiting your RR.

Christine, hope the renovations are going well.  I love older homes...we live in one, too.

Oh, yeah...Girls rule!  Y'all are doing great!  Sorry Felipe and Rich, but I have to root for my own.  (I'm kinda, sorta thinking positive thoughts for y'all too...just that you meet your goal.)  I still want to girls to win overall!  Keep moving forward!

2007-08-21 6:01 PM
in reply to: #934672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Questions for the Group!
Hey Angie....you crazed women, you! Don't let the insanity get to you!

Ohhh and for the record (and just in case there is a chance that the boys lose the challenge), I put on a couple of extra pounds.....picture Jabba the Hut (Star Wars) in a speedo...... if that doesn't stuptify you (ala Harry Potter), then I don't know what will!

So I'm curious!

What has been your GREATEST accomplishment since joining this group?

What surprised you the most about the sport of triathlons?

What surprised you the most about yourself?

If you were to pick one thing you would share with a person just starting out in triathlons, what would it be?

Rich
2007-08-22 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Hey guys, just stopping by quickly to say hi.

Hope everyone is doing well and glad to have Rich back from vacation.

I'm happy to be racing this weekend, I'll be running a 5k on Saturday and then the tri on Sunday, so im looking forward to it.

Take care everyone. And ladies (except the blondie), you better get the bikinis ready, becuase September is just around the corner.

FR
2007-08-22 11:19 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Love the questions!  Here's what I think...

What has been your GREATEST accomplishment since joining this group? Staying focused on training.  I know I skip days, but I always come back ready to train.  Knowing that I have a support system looking out for me and encouraging me is so helpful.  I have a built in accountability not only to myself, but from my cyber friends.  Also, just being excited about the sport.  Not every training session is fun, but I have "umph" in me than I thought.  I do this because I can...that's empowering to me. 

What surprised you the most about the sport of triathlons? It's very doable.  The training is challenging from a logistical stand point, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be.  It does take committment and determination to get the training in each week.  I try to not look so far ahead with my workouts and focus on small goals to sustain me through the weeks.  Also, I may not be the best swimmer, but I actually enjoying swimming now!

What surprised you the most about yourself? I'm have a lot more endurance than I thought.  My mantra's in my head are positive and powerful.  I'm just amazed that I can can go from one discipline to the next and still have fuel to move forward.  I still feel like I haven't met my potiential with this sport.  I'm performing at only 50% of what I think I'm capable of...next year will be much better as far as my times.  I think one of the biggest surprises for me is to see that I actually have muscles...noticeable muscles... I LOVE having definition in my arms and legs...woohoo! 

If you were to pick one thing you would share with a person just starting out in triathlons, what would it be?   Awesome!  Begin slow so you don't get burned out.  Find a friend/group to workout with.  Smile as you cross the finish line!  Okay, so it's 3 things, but what the heck!

Have a great day!

Angela

2007-08-22 11:20 AM
in reply to: #935726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Felipe!

Have a lot of fun during your races this weekend! Lookin forward to hearing your race reports.

Wondering about your brother! How is your brother doing in his preparation? Let me know if he needs any more help!

Rich

2007-08-22 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
My greatest accomplishment has been honing in on technique, which I knew nothing about before I started. The knowledge of proper nutrition has also been vital (though not always followed ) It's because of all of you that I have gained the belief that I can complete a half ironman (and here I haven't even raced my first triathlon yet!).

Easy: How much I enjoy the process of training. I can say this with much certainty too, that I'll enjoy crossing the finish line for the first time on Sunday.

That I haven't lost one pound since I started training...hahah
Seriously, though, I never thought I'd wrap my head around being so dedicated to health as I am at this point in time. I'm committed and hooked, and there's no turning back.

If you were to pick one thing you would share with a person just starting out in triathlons, what would it be?
Don't be surprised if you find yourself a triathlon addict, because the whole experience can prove to be more fun than ever imagined. The improvement in body, technique and times is one thing...and the commeraderie is so much more.

You guys are all awesome, and I consider you all friends and mentors to me. And I really hope to race by your side at some point in time (even if it's for a few seconds as you pass me).
2007-08-22 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami

You know how to bring us back!!! hahahahaha I love you Rich!

Consistently training and finding amazing inspiring people in this group! Reminding myself of what amazing lives people have and how triathlon training is more than just exercising, how powerful our minds can be simply "blows my mind away" ;P , seriously guys! The support of a team (even if through a thread1!) is invaluable, this team has helped me get through the training , nutrition, technique! Nutrition is key! I second everything the girls said!

the community! They are the nicest most motivating people in the world! Seriously! To have someone tell you "you look beautiful" as you are passing them ,is simply ridiculously nice!! It's beautiful, I love the transitions between sports, its amazing.
Where in the world do you find a person like Rich, who dedicated HOURS to our freakout sessions with questions galore on a daily basis for months!>??!!! Really, where?? If you know, please forward this information, I want a couple of Rich's for myself

That I still have it in me. You put in the time and you see the results. I haven't quite pushed myself enough and I can't wait to see how far I can go when i put my entire mind into it!

if you were to pick one thing you would share with a person just starting out in triathlons, what would it be?
Have fun, listen to your body, train with people and don't get freaked out by the swim...because, it's in the bag!!!! you can do anything you set your mind to.

You've all been amazing support and I will forever be greatful. Also, we will totally race together, this is an addiction now, so our paths will continue to cross!!! he he he he

My older brothe Rich is doing well. We trained on Saturday, but he didn't run or swim with me, since his knees were sore..so he stopped( smart thing). He is truckin through....he is a warrior like Felipe, so he will be fine. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support and advice with him!
2007-08-22 9:18 PM
in reply to: #936060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey hey hey!  Just checking in while I have a few spare minutes.  My hubby goes in for ACL reconstruction surgery on Monday, by the way.  Please send your prayers and positive thoughts this way for a very boring surgery and a smooth recovery.  Now...on to more fun things!

What has been your GREATEST accomplishment since joining this group? Definitely my consistency.  I've been so much better about getting my training done, since I know all of you are checking up on me and helping me keep track of my goals.  The payback for that is much better bike and run times than I had at this time last year. I've also lost 15 lbs. since June 1 - I feel totally awesome about that !!!

What surprised you most about the sport of triathlons? How encouraging and supportive everyone is.  It's a blast to have total strangers routing for you on the course, even as they're passing you!  Everyone is just out there doing their best.  I've only run into a rare few that are so focused on the competition that they lose sight of the fun.  Pretty much everyone out there is having a great time and want to see you succeed, too.

What surprised you the most about yourself? I pushed myself harder this year than ever, and I found that I'm stronger physically and mentally than I thought. 

If you were to pick one thing you would share with a person just starting out in triathlons, what would it be?  The mental challenge is the hardest part.  If you believe that you can do it, then you can do it. Just have fun and finish, and then bask in the glow of success!

I totally have to agree with everyone else, Rich, that you've been an awesome mentor this summer.  We are keeping this group going, right? I'd seriously go into withdrawal without you!! Besides, I have no idea what I'm doing in the off-season, so I'll need the Great Guru more than ever.....

Love you guys!

2007-08-23 12:21 AM
in reply to: #936966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
We definitely need to keep this group together! As much as I have been holding you accountable, it has also held me accountable by leading by example...... and you are all GREAT PEOPLE!

Rich
2007-08-23 8:20 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Ahhh...group hug!  (I'm feeling a little misty-eyed)

2007-08-24 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

RICH, You talked about having bad days in the pool - some days are a shamu day and some days you swim like a bullet -- I have LAPS where I swim like a bullet, but still not entire swims.  I guess I'll get there!

What has been your GREATEST accomplishment since joining this group? Swimming 5,000 yards in one week.

What surprised you the most about the sport of triathlons?  How much fun it can be if you put your head in the right place. 

What surprised you the most about yourself?  How I can dread something so much and then enjoy it so much. (Usually about 200 yards into the swim I'm thinking, "What the hell am I doing here?!?  WHY on earth would I do this to myself"  Then by the time I'm coming out of the water, I'm in a positive space again and it just keeps getting better until the finish -- which is the best thrill!

If you were to pick one thing you would share with a person just starting out in triathlons, what would it be?  Figure out what you want to get out of it and go get it! 

2007-08-24 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Best of Luck!
Hey Gang!

Both Andi and Felipe are racing this weekend (and I pray I didn't forget anyone.....sorry if I did!) If I recall correctly, Felipe is running a 5K.

AND........Andi will be graduating to a triathlete this weekend......Wooooooooooo Hoooooooo! I'm so excited for you, Andi! You go get em'! We will all be there in heart and spirit with you! Look forward to hearing about your first tri! Don't forget:

Slow is smooth, smooth is faster!
Remember to breathe!
Have TONS of fun!!!!!

Rich
2007-08-26 12:28 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey! 

Andi, Caru and Felipe...I hope y'all had a fantastic race this morning.  Andi...how was your first triathlon?  YIPPEE!  Felipe...did you meet your goal of under an hour?  Caru...did you place in your AG again?  I'm excited to hear about your day.  Post your RR for all to see!

School begins tomorrow for my girls.  My son begins after Labor day, the same day I go back to work.  I've really enjoyed this summer being able to train in the mornings without always dragging the kids to the gym.  I hope I can figure out a schedule that works for the whole family.  The next few weeks will be hectic trying to get back into a steady routine.  My training may be put on the back burning until I get organized.  I'm still going to meet the ladies on Wed. at 5am for our morning run and circuit training.  I actually enjoy it! 

Rich, I know I still have training left for my sprint tri in Oct., but I'm planning on running the White Rock Marathon in Dallas.  I found a training plan that I really like, but it only has me running 20 miles and then back down.  I won't actually run 26 until marathon day.  I've seen other plans that have you run 26 miles several weeks before the marathon.  What are your thoughts?  Since I've never run a full, I'm not sure what to do.  Would you like for me to email you the training schedule that I would like to use?  Also, because this is my first full, I just want to complete it...under 4:30 would be nice, but I'm not picky!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Angela

2007-08-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #940616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good Day, Angela!

Please send me your marathon plan and I'll take a look at it. I will tell you that I have followed similar plans that don't take you up to the full distance. This method prevents you from peaking before your event. I have used these types of plans successfully.

If you are worried about not going the full distance prior to your event, look at it from this point.... once you get to 20 miles, the rest is more mental than anything else. When I get to mile 20, I start thinking to myself that this race is "in the bag"! (i.e. I'm definitely going to finish this race!!!).

Look forward to seeing your plan!

Rich
2007-08-27 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
GUYS!

I'm sorry i haven't posted, like if taking charge! So, our race was awesome..it was hard hard... Felipe did a great job..we raced with around 1000 tirathlets, this was a very popular race, so it was pretty crazy crazy!

Swim looked way longer than the first one of the trilogies, it was a bit scary when i saw it(even though I swim for an hour in the ocean and I am now comfortable...but the waves yerterday, let me tell you..scary scary. especially starting in a wave from ages 19-45!!! yeah a lot of girls kicking and touching you!
It was fun, i kepts my pace in the water but it was nonetheless hard.

bike, i was in pain, did an alright job, improved my time, but i need to get fitted in it!

run, was good, had some massive blisters taht were hurting, a girl my age group passed me--did the 5k in 21 mins ok!!!i was like WTF! ahahahaha but I did manage to beat a girl in my age group in the run so i make it to 5th place hahaha...it was a super fun race, I loved how many people were there, all the peple cheering. Although I styaed up until 1 dancing at a party for one of my coworkers(i was obliged to attend!) and I almost gave up on the race, it was soooo worth it!! and even though I was in pain running and the sun was killer, I still loved the race!!! it was so much fun!! i love it!

Anywyas, mthanks for all your happy thoughts!!! i will post a RR soon, and tell you about how I almost ran with my bike hat on!!( as people were cracking up!)
OH. my time was 1:07:03-- i improved by 2 minutes...so Im excited!!!!

2007-08-27 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Great news about your race, Caru!  Congrats!

Andi, we look forward to hearing all about yours soon.

We are finishing up the swim / run challenge this week.  After that I expect to be on BT a lot less -- so I will officially be bowing out of the mentor group at the end of this month.  You all have been amazing!  Please keep in touch.  (I will try to continue to log my training and pop around once in a while.)

Thanks for everything, RICH! 

2007-08-27 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Hey guys!

Hope everyone is doing well. This was a fun weekend. The tri yesterday was awesome. Unfortunately I wasn't able to improve that much, I improved only by 50 secdons with regards to my previous trilogy but I had a blast.

The start of the swim was a bit hectic but not too bad, I just felt that the distance was just way longer than the first trology, but maybe it wasn't. I feel I have improved a little bit in the swimming, I did not get fatigued as the first time so that is good. I just know I can go faster but need to train more.

The transition was good, everything wenrt as planned. Then the bike ride was just not good. I struggled a lot trying to get into rythm but I just couldn't. However, I wasn't expecting on improving that much since I haven't trained properly.

The second transition was good as well. And then came my favorite part which was the run. I passed plenty of people, including a lady who called me a jerk (I am still trying to figure out why, hahaha). My time was almost the same as the first trilogy, just off by a second. I am still in an endurance phase of my running training so I have lost some speed which I shall get later on when I begin the sharpening phase, so this is an area where I know I can shave off a minute or two.

Well, it was a good weekend and now I will begin some seriuos training for my A race Sept 23.

Take care everyone.

FR
2007-08-27 11:50 AM
in reply to: #940899

User image

Regular
Cyclingmaniac - 2007-08-26 4:33 PM

Good Day, Angela!

Please send me your marathon plan and I'll take a look at it. I will tell you that I have followed similar plans that don't take you up to the full distance. This method prevents you from peaking before your event. I have used these types of plans successfully.

If you are worried about not going the full distance prior to your event, look at it from this point.... once you get to 20 miles, the rest is more mental than anything else. When I get to mile 20, I start thinking to myself that this race is "in the bag"! (i.e. I'm definitely going to finish this race!!!).

Look forward to seeing your plan!

Rich

Angela:

I totally agree with Rich. I don't see why you would do a long run of more than 22 miles as preparation for a full mary. For my maraton I took Hal Hidgons training plan and did some modifications. The longest I ran in a session prior to the marathon was 22 miles, I have read that anything longer than that might do more harm than good.

Anyhow, you will be fine blondie!

FR
2007-08-27 12:58 PM
in reply to: #941650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
cmbcwb3 - 2007-08-27 9:00 AM

Great news about your race, Caru!  Congrats!

Andi, we look forward to hearing all about yours soon.

We are finishing up the swim / run challenge this week.  After that I expect to be on BT a lot less -- so I will officially be bowing out of the mentor group at the end of this month.  You all have been amazing!  Please keep in touch.  (I will try to continue to log my training and pop around once in a while.)

Thanks for everything, RICH! 

Hey Christine:

Sorry that you will be "officially" bowing out of the mentor group. You have been a true delight! Definitely pop in every once and a while to let us know how you are doing! Your on-going presence will be missed. Also, don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. If our group moves out of this area, I will let you know where we are! You have done an AWESOME Job, Christine! Keep up the GREAT work.....and I will be watching your training log! (Don't be surprised if you see comments!)

It has been a pleasure to serve!

Rich
[email protected]
2007-08-28 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Here I am, better late than never! Thanks for everyone who was pulling for me. Since this was my first race, I really have nothing to compare it to, but it was a blast. So, here are the details.

Distance was .5 mile swim, 12.5 bike and 3.1 mile run. (Can someone tell me if that is a standard sprint distance or if that is longer than normal?)

I finished with a time of 1:36:26:1. I have no idea what my split times were, due to a blunder on my part. I didn't realize that my time chip was caught in my wet suit when I took that off, so I raced the whole bike distance without it on. Fortunately, I realized it when I was on the bike, so I put it back on in my transition to run.

I ended up coming in 8th in my age group (out of 25), 30 for my sex (out of 94) and 154 (out of 251 finishers). I think that's okay, isn't it? I could have shaved about a minute off, since I spaced and forgot to put on my race belt in transition to run, so I had to turn around (duhh!). Lesson learned.

My swim was strong, though at the beginning I thought I was going to drown since I didn't realize how hard I was really going until I was completely out of breath. I was definitely one of the first 40 or so out of the water, at least from what I could tell. And the women went in the second wave, so that was pretty gratifying to pass up so many guys in the water. Of course, they passed me as if I were standing still on the bike. My bike, though, was acceptable. I'll never feel like I can ride like the wind on a bike, so it is what it is. My run was good and I was thankful that I had been training with bricks in the last couple of months. I'm having no problem finding my running legs now, and that is very gratifying.

I also forgot to take some nurishment in during transition, but it didn't matter too much since it was a sprint. I only felt it in the last mile of the run, and gatorade seemed to help that. I'll have to remember to do that, though. Kind of important!!!

I'm SO thankful I've been going to physical therapy, because the improvement was apparent in the race. The run was 80 percent trail with some very steep inclines. That would have tore up my shins in a heartbeat, but they didn't really bother me at all, even after the race. My shoulder also felt great, and I now consider that 98 percent healed.

I have signed up for another sprint in two weeks...why? I dont' know. I'm nuts I guess. Especially since I have the Oly two weeks after that. But I'm loving this new addiction!!

I'm off to swim practice tonight, which will probably be the last swim before the end of the month. I won't be meeting my swim goal, and that's too bad. I'm still hopeful to meet my run goal, I only have 5 miles left and that shouldn't be a problem to hit.

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm just so proud of everyone and their accomplishments on the races and the training!

2007-08-28 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Guys, I got this from a friend of mine at work. Though we aren't 100% cyclists here, I think you'll find it humorous just the same. Enjoy.

--------

Road cyclists are the biggest sandbaggers and secret trainers around. They'll say anything to soften you up for the kill.

Don't let this happen to you. Study this handy rider's phrasebook to find out what they really mean when they say:

"I'm out of shape."
Translation: I ride 400 miles a week and haven't missed a day since the Ford administration. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than you wash your shorts. My body fat percentage is lower than your mortgage rate.

"I'm not into competition. I'm just riding to stay in shape."
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike."
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared.
It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

"It's not that hilly."
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a presidential campaign. Be careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over backward. You have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"You're doing great, honey."
Translation: Yo, lard azz, I'd like to get home before midnight. This is what you get for spending the winter decorating and eating
chocolate. I should of married that cute Cat 1 racer when I had the chance.

"This is a no-drop ride."
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the search and rescue dogs.

"It's not that far."
Translation: Bring your passport.
2007-08-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: #943947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Awesome Job Andie! I am SOOOO Pumped for you!!!!! Your times were VERY respectable and an 8th Place, too! I'm all SMILES! Sounds like your first objective was met: Have Fun! Getting you hooked was my objective (teeheeteeeheeee) and that was met also......signing up for another triathlon for kicks and giggles! (louder teeheeteeeheee).

It is good that you did a triathlon before your main event or "A" race. This gives you an idea of what to expect and the little details that are involved (timing chip, race belt, etc.)

How did you do getting the wetsuit off? (I actually cut the end of the legs off by 1" to 1 1/2".)

As you think through your event, ask questions.....

My the way, the distances you referenced for your race are pretty standard sprint distances.

CONGRATULATIONS......Andi, THE TRIATHLETE!!!!!!

Rich
2007-08-28 1:59 PM
in reply to: #944017

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Cyclingmaniac - 2007-08-28 12:48 PM

How did you do getting the wetsuit off? (I actually cut the end of the legs off by 1" to 1 1/2".)

Rich

Thank you Rich, you kick- mentor you! You get a lot of credit for my success, you've been instrumental in my training and my attitude, and it will always be appreciated.

The wet suit I have is really a nice one, it's from the new company Fit 2 Race. The Team in Training program in our area is piloting these wet suits, and I REALLY like it a lot. It takes about 3-4 minutes for me to put it on (it's a full with sleeves) and it comes off with ease (probably 30 seconds tops). So no cutting is needed, it's REALLY user-friendly! And it fits like a glove too.
2007-08-28 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Well, I guess someone sighted my number! The race results are in, and my segments are up! Click here to take a look. (P.S. I'm 38...)

http://www.theelementevents.com/documents/individual.htm

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46