BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2010-03-17 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED

What's going on gang?  Everyone still around?  We haven't lost all our motivation yet, have we?  I am going to have to train vicariously through you guys the next 5 weeks or so, so let's have it.  How is everyone's training going?  Don't make me sick the Dragon after you.

2010-03-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2730893

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Training is tough right now.  I'm getting stuff done almost everyday, but not nearly enough.  There aren't enough hours in the day or days in the week it seems with everything else going on.  Kids and jobs are absolute masters at sucking away all the time i want for training.Undecided
2010-03-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2730893

User image

Expert
Boston
I,ve been slacking on my training lately.  The rain got me down there for a little bit.   Now my husband is jazzed about AM walks with me so I have to find my late afternoon motivation and it ain't easy when you are a morning person!   Hoping for a run this afternoon. 
2010-03-17 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Ahhhhh sorry to hear that your going under the knife Josh--I am up for the challenge if you need someone to keep the group moving.  I do rather well when I climb up on the soap box.  Training for me have been going very well (you did catch me with the non swimming--Y is to darn full during the day so am going to try a 8:30/9:00 pm slot to see how that works out--but getting up at 4:45am every morning for a work out then blast off on my bike to work just might slow me down a little.  My wife,kids and friends can only shake their collective heads at me!  Keep motivated everyone!!  we all have little things that slow us down from time to time (I have an awful painfull calf mussel--any advice)  but am not letting it slow me down, I just switch some of my training around--slowing down on the run (but have just started helping my wife learn to run--so slowing down sometimes is not an option)  Guess one of my points here is--stay with it, stay positive and above all stick to your work-outs!!  Here's my final push--I just started doing the tri thing last year, I am 57yrs old-can you keep up with the senior man on the course??
2010-03-18 5:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I know it's nice weather but where did eveyone go?
2010-03-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2732818

User image

Expert
Boston
Dragonflyer - 2010-03-18 6:58 AM I know it's nice weather but where did eveyone go?

OUTSIDE!

2010-03-18 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Little bit of good news.  I don't have a hernia, but did tear a muscle in my abdomen.  Still hurts like a mother.  Just have to take it easy and rest for the next couple of weeks.  At least no surgery.  

2010-03-18 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2733537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston Beginner - 2010-03-18 11:16 AM

Little bit of good news.  I don't have a hernia, but did tear a muscle in my abdomen.  Still hurts like a mother.  Just have to take it easy and rest for the next couple of weeks.  At least no surgery.  

No surgery is good.  Is this related to your ribs that hurt really bad?  Have a good couple of weeks!
2010-03-18 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2733537

User image

Expert
Boston
Boston Beginner - 2010-03-18 12:16 PM

That's great news on the no surgery needed!!!!!  Its scary when your contemplating going under the knife.   Can you do lite massage to get blood and nutrients to the area? If your on the heavy hitters then my guess is : not right now.   Try acupuncture it can help sometimes decrease healing time.  Looking on the brighter side of life: Now you can spend lots of time visualizing for IMAZ! Always an important attribute!
2010-03-19 5:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Very happy for you--hope you mend soon.  Didn't mean to scare you when I offered to take over the group
2010-03-19 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Great to hear that you don't need surgery Josh! 
The great weather here is about to come to a crashing halt.  They are forecasting wet snow for us over the next couple of days.  Prolly a good thing when it comes to training for me.  The good weather had me focusing too much on getting things done around the farm that had been neglected all winter.  I did get most of it done, but still tons to do.  Now I can concentrate a little more on getting my azz back in the bike saddle.  Even if it is on the trainer...in the basement...oh yuck... what am I saying????Tongue out

2010-03-20 2:52 PM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
I'm still here!! Been doing PT for my headaches.  They say it is cervicalgenic H.A. Have to strengthen my neck muscles.  Told to quit biking, swimming, etc.until we get this undercontrol.  So I figure what doI have to lose! Be back stronger than ever.  Gives my husband a chance to get ahead for now.  Everyone keep up the good work.  I am not quiting!!! Work day today for me. Hope all is having a good one.  Have to watch the game tonight, Go Big Blue!!! (UK Wildcats)
2010-03-20 8:53 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica

Glad to hear it was not a hernia and surjury not needed. Just rest and comeback stronger and better than ever.

I have not been the best contributor to the group so I have a couple of thoughts tonight that hope will provide some interest for comment.

1. Over the next couple weeks I will be making a serious effort towards getting a new bike. The one I have been on all winter is borrowed and its owner is getting home sick. I think it wil be a road bike of unknown brand but I think I have an good contact at ATA Cycle in Concord, Ma so I can get properly fit and hopefully get a good price on a decent ride. Anybody on the local circuit have any dealings or opinions on that shop or others in the area??

2. Nutrition, anybody doing or heard of the Raw food diet. My wife's 2nd cousin is passionately obsessed with it and swears by it. I have for lack of a better wording been dabbling with it and it is interesting to say the least. He had me eating some dandylion recipe, he did not get offended too bad when I could not eat it. I think my facial expression was more satisfing for him. He does however have some recipes that relate to an athletic diet and juicing differant things into energy drinks. Any thoughts or opinions on this??

2010-03-21 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Still here. Haven't posted in a while because i've been very busy at work, but i've also been very busy training. Going well. Josh, sorry to hear about your injury, but glad to hear you dont have to go under the knife. Serenity, thanks for your consistent posting and inspiring - you ROCK !! Hope everyone has a good week and i'll try to get to a few logs for some inspires today.
2010-03-21 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
weather has been great here in up-state NY--training is going along nicely and now have an added enjoyment--my wife has started running and biking with me--she is in the beginner stages so we go slow.  Then after we get home I have been taking off on my own to ramp it up a bit.  Have also started getting in the Y pool--found the perfect time when not to crowed 830pm until closing--hey, what ever works!
2010-03-21 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2737936

User image

Extreme Veteran
scogz1 - 2010-03-20 8:53 PM

2. Nutrition, anybody doing or heard of the Raw food diet. My wife's 2nd cousin is passionately obsessed with it and swears by it. I have for lack of a better wording been dabbling with it and it is interesting to say the least. He had me eating some dandylion recipe, he did not get offended too bad when I could not eat it. I think my facial expression was more satisfing for him. He does however have some recipes that relate to an athletic diet and juicing differant things into energy drinks. Any thoughts or opinions on this??

Not really thoughts or opinions, but I just got a juicer so I would love you to pass on any info you get.  Ideas or recipes of things to juice etc.

2010-03-23 6:36 AM

User image

Salem
So to try to quell the anticipation I'm feeling over here, I thought I'd share with y'all that I might have found my bike!  I'm going to look at her on Sunday, and if she fits, I'll be taking her home!  It shouldn't be a problem, as everything I've read about a 56 Cervelo says its perfect for my height: 6'.  I am SO damn excited right now...

*crosses fingers*
2010-03-23 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2741970

User image

Expert
Boston
KidIcarus - 2010-03-23 7:36 AM So to try to quell the anticipation I'm feeling over here, I thought I'd share with y'all that I might have found my bike!  I'm going to look at her on Sunday, and if she fits, I'll be taking her home!  It shouldn't be a problem, as everything I've read about a 56 Cervelo says its perfect for my height: 6'.  I am SO damn excited right now...

*crosses fingers*

I've got fingers and toes crossed!!!!! How very exciting! 
2010-03-23 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
KidIcarus - 2010-03-23 7:36 AM So to try to quell the anticipation I'm feeling over here, I thought I'd share with y'all that I might have found my bike!  I'm going to look at her on Sunday, and if she fits, I'll be taking her home!  It shouldn't be a problem, as everything I've read about a 56 Cervelo says its perfect for my height: 6'.  I am SO damn excited right now...

*crosses fingers*

VERY EXCITING KID !! Love it !!
2010-03-24 5:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls

*crosses fingers*
Jealous--of course I am!!!
2010-03-24 5:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Ahhh-ever have that feeling like your arms are going to fall off?   Working out in the early morning is nice but sometimes !   When do you feel you get the best work outs--Morning, Afternoon or Nights?

2010-03-24 5:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Second question of the day (then I really need to get back to work) when swimming does anyone use flippers or hand paddles?  Benifits or Not?  well, maybe that's more than one more question.
2010-03-24 6:45 AM

User image

Salem
well this doesn't really address whether I prefer am or pm workouts, but i will say that i started eating a substantial meal about an hour before working out a week ago and i can't stand it.  my workouts have never felt so lethargic and empty. i know that most training philosophy says you're supposed to eat prior, but to me it just feels like my body is spending energy digesting rather than hammering away on whatever i happen to be doing that day.  i need to go back to having just a light snack and then eating a big meal after my workout.
2010-03-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2744513

User image

Expert
Boston
KidIcarus - 2010-03-24 7:45 AM well this doesn't really address whether I prefer am or pm workouts, but i will say that i started eating a substantial meal about an hour before working out a week ago and i can't stand it.  my workouts have never felt so lethargic and empty. i know that most training philosophy says you're supposed to eat prior, but to me it just feels like my body is spending energy digesting rather than hammering away on whatever i happen to be doing that day.  i need to go back to having just a light snack and then eating a big meal after my workout.

I am with you on that one!  I get up at 4:30 and get to the gym by 5AM.  For me to even eat a light snack at that hour is upseting to my GI system.   Yet my nutritionist insists that I eat.     

To answer Dragon flyer:  my BEST workouts are in the early early AM if I go to the gym.....if I run or bike outside then I have to say just early to mid AM.  By afternoon I'm junk!   Yet I know as the weather gets better I will get that 2nd wind in the afternoon for those 2 a day workouts!
2010-03-25 4:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Becoming my regular question--for some reason I continue to have a sore calf problem (right 1 only)  Have been stretching, drinking plenty of water, warming up--doing all the right things but still seem to be unable to shake the sore calf-deep inside. Beginning to wonder if I should try compression when running?   Plus---we all see to be missing from our group?  I know if has been nice outside But!!  Check in once in a while to keep us all up dated--besides, snow tonight in the North Country so runnning moves back in side once again!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36