BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-06-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Cleveland OH
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
Swam Monday night,
Had to bring work truck into shop, which is right by tow path, goes from cleveland south for at least 50 miles. So brought my run clothes and ran 10k nice easy pace. Now sitting here waiting for truck to get done.

2013-06-27 9:14 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
100 mile ride this weekend. It's going to be a doozy too... 3 Cat 5 climbs, one Cat 2 climb, 3760 gain, Max grade 19%

Gotta find my climbing gear
2013-06-27 10:01 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
struggling to get workouts in on this new work schedule...

got in a good swim today though. all my 100 yard intervals were at or under 1:30, one was at 1:20, that's really fast for me. going to try to get back into my weekend long run routine, but not sure how my legs are going to feel after my ride into the mountains and back saturday morning, should be fun though, 70-75 miles total. i really like the rides where the landscape/scenery change drastically during the ride, makes it feel like i'm not just getting in a fun workout but that im doing what other people would consider a day trip or traveling.
2013-06-30 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
got my 100 (106... we went off the course) miler in yesterday. Advertised 3760 elevation gain... my Powertap read OVER 9000! (and that's not just funny... but true.)

Great day though. We took it fairly easy for the most part. I was going up part of the "steep" (19% grade!) climb doing a wheelie... my front wheel literally wouldn't stay on the ground when I pulled on the handlebars. It was also wet so there was no way to stand up without spinning out which sucked! I did manage to make it all the way up without getting off my bike and walking though, I saw just about everyone get off at some point.
2013-06-30 8:21 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Hate it when you get lost on a long ride like that. Thats some pretty sick elevation gain.

Swam Friday 40 mins straight.

road 40 miles this morning
road 13 miles tonight w/ kid and wife.

2013-06-30 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

got my 100 (106... we went off the course) miler in yesterday. Advertised 3760 elevation gain... my Powertap read OVER 9000! (and that's not just funny... but true.)

Great day though. We took it fairly easy for the most part. I was going up part of the "steep" (19% grade!) climb doing a wheelie... my front wheel literally wouldn't stay on the ground when I pulled on the handlebars. It was also wet so there was no way to stand up without spinning out which sucked! I did manage to make it all the way up without getting off my bike and walking though, I saw just about everyone get off at some point.

OVER 9000! i feel like there should be a meme associated with your ride....

pretty sick elevation. really puts my 6500 into perspective from this weekend. how did the other riders get started again when they got off? i would imagine clipping in going uphill with that kind of grade would be... tricky.

2013-07-01 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
that was the thing... if you got off and walked, you had to crest the hill walking (unless you wanted to ride part of the way back down to get clipped back in) and everybody got to see who made it and who didn't.

So glad I didn't fall
2013-07-01 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Any of you guys use the 2:3 breathing pattern swimming?

I have been strictly bi lateral every third breath since I started but gave the 2:3 a try the other day and have to say it impressed me. I felt like I had quite a bit more oxygen.
2013-07-01 8:37 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
I breathe every 2nd stroke. When I am racing I have too much adrenaline going and im breathing heavier. So I always feel like I am going to drown.
2013-07-03 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
So whats everyone up to for the 4th? Friend of my has a boat he has modified to look like a pirate ship that we are going to cruise the lake on. Training wise: Im going to try and squeeze in a long day of training on friday, but i think my week is pretty shot after today except for maybe a short run each day.

Had a great run, swim, and bike workout yesterday. Worked on increased cadence on the run, added some 200yd intervals to my swim workout, and had a fun group ride. The weather was horrible all day and only got better later in the afternoon so the group ride was a lot smaller than usual, maybe only 30 or so as opposed to the 60-80 which will show up most of the time.

Also eyeing some bike races in the coming months... TT in two weeks and a Crit/RR in September. Couple of local tri's already scheduled in between.
2013-07-04 8:16 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Got a 10 mile run in this morning with a group of guys, nice easy 8:13 pace.

My Tri club is doing a Home Camp around Cleveland this long weekend. Tomorrow they are doing a Century ride then a run brick after. The meet point is 3 miles from my house so I am going to ride down and meet them but not do the whole century, I might do 40-50 miles, I doubt I do a brick workout afterward either.
I have my second Oly Tri this sunday about an hour away. This is the one I did last year so I am anxious to see how well I have improved in 1 year of heavier training. This is the reason I am not doing the whole century ride and brick.

Other than that, My wife is doing some cupcake contest tomorrow so I am sure I will have to taste test some. Then yeah nothing else.
Its kinda nice not living by your family but can get lonely at times.

2013-07-05 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
bleh, work and training this week have put the hurt on my interweb time

Sprint in the morning... celebrating my anniversary race (first race I ever did)
2013-07-05 8:14 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Sunday is my anniversary race too!! Well Tri that is.

So, went on that ride this morning. Roads were wet so I was taking it slow. Hadn't been in aero at all. 16 miles in we are doing some decent rolling hills through the National park up here. 5 guys in front of me, about 25 behind, scattered. The guy leading the ride with the nice garmin stood up on am uphill to continue the roll over this hill and as soon as he did, his back wheel was on a patch of tar and it slipped out from under him. As he was falling one of his cleats came out and made him fall even faster. His head hit first, then his shoulder. I was about 20 ft behind him coming up the hill. Got stopped, put my bike down and by this time the guy who was beside him was there too. His eyes were back in his head and he was sezuring, Moaning and twitching. Obvious concussion symptoms. We kept him still, couple other guys got there so I got my phone out and called 911. Squad got there within 8-10 mins, he came to, wanted to sit up, someone grabbed his road ID and called his wife. Sat up for awhile, then actually stood up before the squad came. He kept asking what happened, why his shoulder hurt so bad etc...
Helmet was cracked, scuffed, few places were like ripped open. Jersey was ripped open on shoulder, it was a scene from the tour I just saw yesterday.
I def road home slower.
Be careful out there guys!!

Todd
2013-07-06 3:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
yikes, sounds bad! :/ Hopefully he ended up ok.
2013-07-07 10:53 AM

User image

Cleveland OH
Pr'ed same course, by 16 minutes. My anniversary course from last year.
2:31:xx
Swim was by 10 minutes
2013-07-07 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by smithat05

Swim was by 10 minutes

that's awesome!

2013-07-07 7:58 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
So I found out more about the guy that wrecked.
3 broken ribs
broken clavicle/ collar bone
skull fracture
major concussion

to top it off, this was the year he was probably gonna KQ at Louisville, he was in the best shape of his life and has been racing really well.

That also helps with his recovery though, guess the docs are impressed thus far.

Todd

Will have race report up maybe tomorrow night,
2013-07-08 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Todd,

Great race. Can't wait to read the report. I know we were both anxious about the swim at the start of the year, great job getting after it and really breaking it down. Hopefully that rider is ok. Sounds like a nasty spill.

I will never take another "stay at home" vacation. Apparently my vacation is also the best time for me to refinish the bathroom vanity and start construction on our 3 season porch and do the rest of the baseboard in the house. Or at least my wife thinks that. Yup, vacations from now on will consist of us going somewhere and me throwing the gear in the back so I can sneak out and train a bit between sessions of actual relaxing vacation and not manual labor. Oh well, got a few rides in some insane heat. I have another sprint coming up this Saturday but it's not a super important race, just one for fun and I'm looking to improve on my swim sighting and throw down a good bike as it's only 12 miles and I'm pretty familiar with the area.
2013-07-08 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Swim was by 10 minutes

awesome job! sounds like you've made some big swim gains
2013-07-08 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

So I found out more about the guy that wrecked.
3 broken ribs
broken clavicle/ collar bone
skull fracture
major concussion

to top it off, this was the year he was probably gonna KQ at Louisville, he was in the best shape of his life and has been racing really well.

That also helps with his recovery though, guess the docs are impressed thus far.

Todd

Will have race report up maybe tomorrow night,

scary stuff. luckily he was with a group when it happened. sounded like a freak accident from the way you described it.
2013-07-08 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
weekend was fun but i didn't get any training done. supposed to have a race this weekend but my car is in the shop as of today and waiting on a part that won't come in til the end of the week... going to see if i can squeeze my bike in the rental they gave me before registering; thinking the aero bars will make it near impossible though.

2013-07-09 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
if it's a tight squeeze you can loosen the stem clamp and turn the whole cockpit down. I've had to do that a couple of times.
2013-07-09 9:49 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
2013-07-09 9:50 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

scary stuff. luckily he was with a group when it happened. sounded like a freak accident from the way you described it.

Yeah it was a freak accident, he just happened to be on a patch of tar when he stood up on the uphill.
2013-07-10 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Race Report is up
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

nice race, when i was reading it i was wondering how you drank all that fluid on the bike without it bothering you... then i got to the run report. sounds like a tough course with a double swim loop with strong current and a head wind on the bike.

in your race report you mentioned maybe getting a profile designs BTA bottle, take a look at the torhans bottle too while you are at it. they don't use the sponge like profile designs does, plus they make a mount for it to clip your garmin off the back of it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39