BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-10-14 7:09 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Contests!

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Like I would say that walking 18 holes of golf would not be included . . .

LOL.  No worries there, as you really can't call what I do 'Golf.'  About the only thing that happens when I pick up my golf clubs is my blood pressure spikes and I learn a couple new words.  I have finally learned that doing my golfing vicariously through Tiger is much less stressful!

2013-10-14 7:24 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

Sounds good - I am also in.

i finished my last triathlon of 2013, and finished 2nd in age group.

Question: how many bike and swim sessions are needed to maintain current level? Is 1X/week too few to just maintain?

Hey Charlotte:

Congrats on the 2nd place finish. A nice accomplishment!

For me, I need at least twice a week per sport to maintain. At one time a week I'm sliding backward, albeit slower than with no workouts. 3X per week builds, 4X turbo charges it.

I don't know about cross fit. I was doing body pump in my gym 3X per week. I got a lot stronger, but at that frequency I started building mass and carrying weight in muscles that had nothing to do with triathlon performance. So I stayed on that program for a good chunck of the winter, cut back to 2X per week prior to the race season and then dropped it completely once racing started.

Good luck in the off season and getting ready for your sprint marathon!

Steve
2013-10-14 7:24 PM

User image

Regular

Question: how many bike and swim sessions are needed to maintain current level? Is 1X/week too few to just maintain?

Hey Charlotte:

Congrats on the 2nd place finish. A nice accomplishment!

For me, I need at least twice a week per sport to maintain. At one time a week I'm sliding backward, albeit slower than with no workouts. 3X per week builds, 4X turbo charges it.

I don't know about cross fit. I was doing body pump in my gym 3X per week. I got a lot stronger, but at that frequency I started building mass and carrying weight in muscles that had nothing to do with triathlon performance. So I stayed on that program for a good chunck of the winter, cut back to 2X per week prior to the race season and then dropped it completely once racing started.

Good luck in the off season and getting ready for your sprint marathon!

Steve
2013-10-15 5:18 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by JREDFLY I think the 5 points for no weight gain per week is a good Idea Just thought I would make an attempt to list out the rules. Please let me know if it looks OK and whether you are in. Thanks, James

I have kind of a silly question, well, actually a couple -

When we 'report' each week, how should we do it?  Only points?  Points with a breakdown of how we got the points?  Weight?  What should we put up?

Also, what constitutes a workout?  Only Tri-Sports (swim, bike, run) or are we including weights?  What about a spin class or a boot-camp class?  Not trying to be difficult, just trying to clarify since some of us occasionally do those other things.

Feel free to chime in Stu.

I was thinking just list weight loss points and work out points, for example: "1 pound lost =10 points plus 10 points for 5 hours working out = plus 20 points for the week" . Just post like that on Sunday and I will post a total sheet on Monday nights.

Keep it simple, we are on the honor system here.

Any exercise would be included but use discretion. Like I would say that walking 18 holes of golf would not be included but cross training, weights, spin classes, etc. would be included.

Since it is the off-season, I think it is certainly appropriate to include non-Tri workouts that work toward the goal of next season. Maybe something like, if your tri coach (hahaha, like I have one) would say that is helpful toward next season, it counts. I think James has it about right in his example. But I think the important thing is to be consistent with yourself. I want to know... hey, I scored 25 points this week - that was a good week and I want that 25 points to mean something to me - as difficult as all the chainsawing over the weekend might have been, I'm not counting that toward points - I get attaboys for that work. Anyway, I hereby submit full authority to the giver of the mug to make any calls with regard to points!

Stu
2013-10-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by juneapple

I want to know... hey, I scored 25 points this week - that was a good week and I want that 25 points to mean something to me - as difficult as all the chainsawing over the weekend might have been, I'm not counting that toward points - I get attaboys for that work. Anyway, I hereby submit full authority to the giver of the mug to make any calls with regard to points!

Stu

Too bad I can't count raking leaves, I would have a gazillion points over the next few weeks!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-15 6:08 PM
2013-10-16 7:02 AM

My next major event is a half marathon on March 2nd, 2014. I really want to work on run time. The program that i am able to follow most consistently is the Galloway run/walk method. I also plan to continue with Crossfit 3X/week because it helps with flexibility, strength, etc. Question: how many bike and swim sessions are needed to maintain current level? Is 1X/week too few to just maintain?

2013-10-16 7:05 AM

sorry for the double entry - thanks for the reply Steve.

charlotte
2013-10-17 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: congrats charlotte

My next major event is a half marathon on March 2nd, 2014. I really want to work on run time. The program that i am able to follow most consistently is the Galloway run/walk method. I also plan to continue with Crossfit 3X/week because it helps with flexibility, strength, etc. Question: how many bike and swim sessions are needed to maintain current level? Is 1X/week too few to just maintain?

Charlotte you are kind of a quiet one...on this forum anyway...but u are a heck of a racer ! Congratulations second in age group, excellent !!

as far as your question on maintenance...i live in sunbelt and train same old every day, so defer that question.

Charlotte, I am intrigued by Crossfit..but sort of wrote it off thinking I was too old at nearly 52 to start a program that rigorous having never done much weight training in the past. Comments?
2013-10-17 8:21 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

Subject: RE: congrats charlotte
Crossfit has been really helpful for me. It has improved my flexibility, core strength, and upper body strength. I think it has also increased muscular support surrounding hip and knee joints. I go about 3 times a week. All the exercises/workouts are scalable. I am usually the oldest but really enjoy the training.
2013-10-19 8:03 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Gray
How is everyone doing?

I am giving you guys a head-start this week. Still resting up my calf. This is now three weeks with not working out and I feel like such a slouch.

My lower left leg is still really tight so I am going to concentrate on my bike all next week. I would think swimming would be fine but that is actually where I injured it when trying to push too hard off the wall. Tried an open water swim last week and actually aggravated it. Trying to do better on the diet but it has been hard, I have been so hungry. Someone told me that I should actually expect that because exercise suppresses appetite.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any non-weight bearing workouts that would be good please let me know before I blow up like Shamu.

I don't want people trying to roll me back into the water when I walk up on to the beach.

Going up to cheer on my friend in the Lowell Marathon Sunday. He is trying to run under 3 hours for the first time so wish him luck.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-19 9:44 AM
2013-10-19 6:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray

I would think swimming would be fine but that is actually where I injured it when trying to push too hard off the wall. Tried an open water swim last week and actually aggravated it.

Appreciate the 'head-start,' and sorry to hear you have a slight injury.  But you have to explain something to me!  How on earth do you get hurt swimming?

2013-10-19 7:02 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: congrats charlotte

Originally posted by dustytrails

. . . sort of wrote it off thinking I was too old at nearly 52

52?  My gosh, you are still a babe in the woods! 

2013-10-20 5:35 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

I would think swimming would be fine but that is actually where I injured it when trying to push too hard off the wall. Tried an open water swim last week and actually aggravated it.

Appreciate the 'head-start,' and sorry to hear you have a slight injury.  But you have to explain something to me!  How on earth do you get hurt swimming?

Coach had us doing wall push-offs pretty hard to get extra length and I felt my calf pull. It hasn't felt good for a month, really stinks.
2013-10-20 6:55 PM

User image

Regular

Coach had us doing wall push-offs pretty hard to get extra length and I felt my calf pull. It hasn't felt good for a month, really stinks.

I

The dreaded "push-off" someone on my team had same leg injury.

In fact, if this makes you feel even better James....First couple times back in pool after 100% OWS all summer (once a week) ....
  • ....My back hurts again like last Spring in the pool....and my shoulder hurts.
  • Same 30 min swim...totally different effect.
    I surmise its my push off the wall causing both problems.
    I can flip turn but dont like too. thats a w/o in itself for me. My technique needs work and I screw up about one out of five flip turns. yeah I know PRACTICE.

Is It Sunday?
    My weight 130
    My points niner right there
    I just weighed mid week so I am not counting anything on weight.

Thursday thru this afternoon has been Hell Week with a tooth ache from a crown that my face does not like.
    I am getting it fixed this week no matter what.
    2013-10-20 8:27 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Weight (244.1) down 1.1 pounds - is that 11 points?

Tri-sports and weights - 6 hours (306.2 minutes) - 12 points?

Edited by k9car363 2013-10-20 8:29 PM
    2013-10-21 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
    19 points for me this week - 1 lb and 270 minutes of training.

2013-10-21 5:07 PM
    in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
    260 minutes of training for me. It was hard to do because I spent the week in New Orleans for a convention. I'm home tonight so I'll step on the scale...but based on the dining and drinking, it won't be good news.

I did run in a local 5k race in New Orleans over the weekend. Came in 9th (3rd in the 50-59 age group) with a time of 19:50. My legs were' tired at the start from standing on the convention floor. I was fully gassed at the end, but I felt pretty good about breaking 20 minutes for the 5k.

I leave for Tucson on Wednesday night. Duathlon Nationals are there on Saturday. My training has been inconsistent over the last few weeks, so I'm not going into the race with much confidence. Fat Steve doesn't run/bike very fast. Cie la vie.

2013-10-21 7:38 PM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman 260 minutes of training for me. It was hard to do because I spent the week in New Orleans for a convention. I'm home tonight so I'll step on the scale...but based on the dining and drinking, it won't be good news. I did run in a local 5k race in New Orleans over the weekend. Came in 9th (3rd in the 50-59 age group) with a time of 19:50. My legs were' tired at the start from standing on the convention floor. I was fully gassed at the end, but I felt pretty good about breaking 20 minutes for the 5k. I leave for Tucson on Wednesday night. Duathlon Nationals are there on Saturday. My training has been inconsistent over the last few weeks, so I'm not going into the race with much confidence. Fat Steve doesn't run/bike very fast. Cie la vie.

Doing a lot of traveling!  I empathize with you.  I know what it is like to be on the road for more than a day or two.  Gets really old, the airports and hotels all start looking the same.  Hotel gyms are anything but a workout haven.  The old saying, "there's no place like home," comes to mind.  Hope you get home for an extended period soon.

2013-10-22 5:29 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by lutzman 260 minutes of training for me. It was hard to do because I spent the week in New Orleans for a convention. I'm home tonight so I'll step on the scale...but based on the dining and drinking, it won't be good news. I did run in a local 5k race in New Orleans over the weekend. Came in 9th (3rd in the 50-59 age group) with a time of 19:50. My legs were' tired at the start from standing on the convention floor. I was fully gassed at the end, but I felt pretty good about breaking 20 minutes for the 5k. I leave for Tucson on Wednesday night. Duathlon Nationals are there on Saturday. My training has been inconsistent over the last few weeks, so I'm not going into the race with much confidence. Fat Steve doesn't run/bike very fast. Cie la vie.

Doing a lot of traveling!  I empathize with you.  I know what it is like to be on the road for more than a day or two.  Gets really old, the airports and hotels all start looking the same.  Hotel gyms are anything but a workout haven.  The old saying, "there's no place like home," comes to mind.  Hope you get home for an extended period soon.

Nice job on the 5K - how I wish I could break 20! (I wonder if I could break 25 right now... ick). Welcome back!

Yep, the traveling is a double (triple?) whammy... lose time preparing for the trip (and catching up after), hard to get the workouts in while you're there, and usually too much of the wrong kind of food. I head out again next week for another one. My wife goes to one tomorrow (and is desperately trying to finish her paper for it). Ah well... at least I'll be out of town for Halloween... that may be a push! Off to bike class - have a great day, everyone!

Stu
    2013-10-22 10:35 AM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Actually went up two pounds this week. Between not working out and going out to dinner a couple of times (something I don't usually do) is not a good combination for me. Leg is actually no better with all the rest and stretching I have been doing.

I added 5 points to both Scott and Stu for not gaining in addition to their weight loss.

Didn't sound like Steve or Linda wanted me to add the 5 points for not gaining but let me know if you want me to change that.

Well a bad week for me to start out on but it is kind of good for me to see it on paper so I can try and get my act back together.

Hopefully that two pound will come off as quick as it came.

If you could give me time and points for workouts so I don't have to calculate it, that would be great.

Have a good week people!

James

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-22 10:42 AM

(Gray GG 10-21-2013.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Gray GG 10-21-2013.jpg (25KB - 9 downloads)
    2013-10-22 10:40 AM

User image

Regular

Didn't sound like Steve or Linda wanted me to add the 5 points for not gaining but let me know if you want me to change that.

If you could give me time and points for workouts so I don't have to calculate it, that would be great.

James

Ha! James--I gained 3 lbs. last week. So, put me in the deficit column.

Steve

2013-10-22 10:40 AM

User image

Regular

James

Steve
    2013-10-22 10:45 AM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

Steve

Done!
    2013-10-22 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
    Subject: Article worth reading--ESPN Triathlon expose
    Call this "fair warning." I haven't read it all the way through yet, but it's worth considering since most of the people dying in Triathlons are gray guys/girls like us in their upper 40's and older.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9838319/trouble-surface

A guy died just like this in the Age Group Nationals last year in Vermont. He was in the swim start just after my group (55-59) went off. I can tell you the conditions were really nasty. There was a 25 mph wind blowing across Lake Champlain so by the time the waves got to us we were swimming in the biggest rollers I've ever been in. It was pretty intimidating.

Whether it was the anxiety from the waves combined with the heart rate stress of the swim, nobody knows, but a fit athlete over 50 died.

I guess one key learning is if you ever don't like the conditions, don't go in the water. Live to fight another day.

Steve

2013-10-22 6:24 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: Article worth reading--ESPN Triathlon expose

Originally posted by lutzman Call this "fair warning." I haven't read it all the way through yet, but it's worth considering since most of the people dying in Triathlons are gray guys/girls like us in their upper 40's and older.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9838319/trouble-surface

A guy died just like this in the Age Group Nationals last year in Vermont. He was in the swim start just after my group (55-59) went off. I can tell you the conditions were really nasty. There was a 25 mph wind blowing across Lake Champlain so by the time the waves got to us we were swimming in the biggest rollers I've ever been in. It was pretty intimidating.

Whether it was the anxiety from the waves combined with the heart rate stress of the swim, nobody knows, but a fit athlete over 50 died.

I guess one key learning is if you ever don't like the conditions, don't go in the water. Live to fight another day. Steve

I recall that we have had this discussion on 'our' forum in the past.

Let me first say that I feel great sympathy for the family and friends of anyone who is injured or perishes in a race.  Like most people, I would like to know what happened and hopefully learn from it.  That said however, I have to say it drives me absolutely crazy when someone sues a sanctioning body (or similar) because the sanctioning body did not protect the injured person from themselves.  I have never seen a race or heard of a race where the athletes were forced at gunpoint to enter the water!

I do not agree with the premise that the the sanctioning body, the event owner, or the RD should be held accountable for an athletes decision to enter the water in less than ideal conditions.  Nor do I fully agree with the growing movement away from the mass start.  I don't know about everyone else, but watching the Kona mass start has always been an exciting moment for me.  It is one of the things that drew me to triathlon in the first place.  There are ways to overcome the seeming chaos - seed yourself to the rear, to the side or just wait until the main body has started.  Here's another thought, just develop your swim to where you are a FOP swimmer and swim away from the pack.  The elites at Kona this year were mostly swimming less than 1:15/100 yards.  That is not terribly fast.  Work on your swim and you are in front of the pack, not in it.  Simply stated, if you are not comfortable with a mass start, then don't put yourself in the middle of the scrum.  Whatever you do, please DON'T blame your (metaphorically) inability to deal with a mass start on the RD or anyone else.  If one can't handle it, then perhaps that person should find another hobby.

As to the less than ideal conditions, that is REALLY easy!  Walk down to the waters edge before the start time and see first hand what the conditions are.  If you have never swam in conditions similar to what you see or if you are uncomfortable or have ANY reservation with what you see, then DON'T GO IN THE WATER!  If you have the opportunity to warm up on or near the race course prior to the start, then take the time to do it.  But please, DON'T blame someone else because you freely choose to enter the water.

Sorry, I will step down off my soap box now.

Edited by k9car363 2013-10-22 6:34 PM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37