BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-06 10:44 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Randy - wishing you a great race!!! I will be tracking.

Jason - I got the call that my Shiv is in! Now they are waiting to build it. I will let you know, I suspect it will be early next week, though maybe this Sunday if the stars align. I read what you said about using the bladder. I suspect I won't be using it as I prefer the ease of bottles for nutrition. I suspect its a bit of work to keep the bladder/tubing system clean.

I had a good bike ride on the trainer, but then afterwards suffered a bout of A-fib. My heart rate was 160-180 bpm. This happens to me once every few months (at least that's when I'm actually aware of it). I have an EP Cardiologist who has offered me an ablation but the results are not as favorable as I'd like. I have home meds prescribed for me to convert my rhythm. Does anyone else experience this? It really sucks because it kills your workout, and then the meds I take for it (flecainide and a Beta-Blocker) make me exhausted for the rest of the day.

Jim

2013-06-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Calgary, AB

This thread is lingering down the page -- shouldn't happen!   

Had a good ride this morning (30 km, averaged over 27 km/hr which is pretty good for me!).   Up at 5:15, gotta love this time of year, already as bright as noon...

I've got OWS practice tomorrow.  Water is 62F as of yesterday which is worse than I hoped but better than I feared... knock on wood, it'll get warmer by next week.

Any tips for my wetsuit  -- I heard from somewhere that it's a good idea to soak it for 24 hours?  

How about for the practice session itself -- any thoughts on OWS specific drills to try out?  Or am I better to just warm up and then do a practice swim of the course?  (2x750m triangle loop)    Or should I practice sharp elbows and defensive blocks?

Finally -- best of luck to this weekend's racers!  We know about Randy -- who else?  Surely we can't top last week's extravaganza of 7 racers...

Scott.

2013-06-07 5:05 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by Hoos

This thread is lingering down the page -- shouldn't happen!   

Had a good ride this morning (30 km, averaged over 27 km/hr which is pretty good for me!).   Up at 5:15, gotta love this time of year, already as bright as noon...

I've got OWS practice tomorrow.  Water is 62F as of yesterday which is worse than I hoped but better than I feared... knock on wood, it'll get warmer by next week.

Any tips for my wetsuit  -- I heard from somewhere that it's a good idea to soak it for 24 hours?  

How about for the practice session itself -- any thoughts on OWS specific drills to try out?  Or am I better to just warm up and then do a practice swim of the course?  (2x750m triangle loop)    Or should I practice sharp elbows and defensive blocks?

Finally -- best of luck to this weekend's racers!  We know about Randy -- who else?  Surely we can't top last week's extravaganza of 7 racers...

Scott.

I did my first OWS yesterday and soaked the suit for a good 8 hours beforehand.  I think it keeps it from sucking you to death on that first swim.  Our H20 temp was 58F and I didn't like it, at all.  The good news is I didn't freak out the way I normally do so all is not lost!

Had another mini big day today, 4 hour ride, 90' off, 1:45 run.  The run was a dream, but I am really struggling with getting back on that tri bike and that makes me most unhappy. Winds were only 10mph and I really never felt comfortable with my deeper wheels.Who buys a tri bike and then sits on the bars?  NO ONE!  Tomorrow, I am going to trade it out for a normal wheel and see if that helps.  Any other advice from the troops is welcome.

Randy, kick it into high gear and stay there!

2013-06-07 5:48 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I had a short run on the treadmill and a great swim this morning. Weather has been sketchy all week with the passing through of the tropical storm. Hoping to ride the HIM course tomorrow at 6a.m., but depends on if anybody is going that won't just leave me in their dust. I feel safer knowing there's another person nearby in the event that I (or they) get into trouble.
2013-06-07 7:42 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello everyone-made it into town around 2:00pm. Went to packet pickup and race briefing. Now I have all day tomorrow to get everything ready for the race on Sunday. Plan is to bike the run course in the morning. I'll then drive the bike course as they indicated at the race briefing that there are some low areas that may have standing water on Sunday as it has rained alot today. Chance of some more rain tomorrow and Sunday but not nearly like today. Should be wetsuit legal swim 

Eagleman 70.3/Randy Walton Bib #739

2013-06-08 5:41 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
OK so its it just Nancy and Randy this weekend?

Good luck guys, we'll be watching!

2013-06-08 10:28 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sorry. Back up north again where Internet access is spotty so I'm falling down on the job.

I had a race simulation workout this morning. 57 really hard miles on the bike followed by a pretty fast 3.25 miles. I'm close to ready.

Jim. Sounds a little scary about the afib. Luckily you know what it is and how to manage it. Every once on awhile I feel an extra beat and then a long pause. It is a little disconcerting. Excited for you getting your bike. Like I said, I'm out of town if you do your fitting this weekend but if you do it next week, I would love to try to meet up.
2013-06-08 12:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

OK so its it just Nancy and Randy this weekend?

Good luck guys, we'll be watching!

This Nancy isn't doing anything but training!

My first triathlon (sprint) is June 22nd. Feel perfectly good about the swim and the bike, but those pesky 3 miles at the end...
2013-06-08 2:04 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy. I will be watching as closely as I can from the hinterlands.

What race is Nancy doing this weekend?
2013-06-08 3:00 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

I don't think Nancy is racing. I believe Michael/D3 is racing. Anyone else?

More rain off and on this morning. Was able to get a ride and swim in on the course. Tomorrow looks like high in low 80's, a few clouds and light winds. Chance of afternoon thunderstorms. The usual pre race nerves have me anxious about tomorrow.

2013-06-08 3:54 PM

User image

New user
Good luck racing! You will do well Randy, you are Very thorough in your preparation!

I did a 50 mile group ride this morning. It was a lot of fun. I can't believe I can say I did a 50 mile bike ride, sounds weird to even say it!

Relaxing now with a sleeping puppy, life is good indeed.

2013-06-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Veteran
Denton

Randy - Good luck at your race! Hope its not going to rain on race day.

I am running a 10k tomorrow morning for the "Wounded Warrior Foundation" I wasn't planning on running it this year but then my Chiropractor/Sports Therapist decided to sponsor me :-) I could get used to that ... lol

2013-06-08 7:20 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Good lucky Randy and Michael, I had to work this morning otherwise I would have had a 5K. I am really pleased with my week I finally got all my workouts in and had my best week of the year, looking forward to keeping it going.
2013-06-09 8:41 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Calgary, AB

Randy's done with T1 -- finished the swim in 37:34.  Unfortunately this is a bit slower than he did in IMTX 70.3 -- must be some tough conditions.

Keep it up Randy!

2013-06-09 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Finished my 10k this morning with another PR. 51 minutes and 15 seconds. The race was delayed by over an hour because of heavy rain, lightning and thunder. Ran in the rain which was nice for cooling but the shoes were heavy. 

Looks like Randy finished the race in 4 hours 53 minutes. 15th in his AG. Its about 6 minutes slower than Texas 70.3 bbut very consistent. Congratulations on another great race Randy!

2013-06-09 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Great job Randy, very impressed with your bike split!!!! Well done!

2013-06-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Calgary, AB

Way to go Randy.  Sub-5 hours is never a cause for complaint!  Looking forward to the race report.

Michael -- really nice PR!  

Scott.

2013-06-09 4:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HOORAY RANDY!

Race report! Race report

I did a local 5K today. Nothing to write home about and I just did it because DH wanted to. It was my 2nd fastest ever - which is the best I could ask fro considering my slow comeback. First Tri scheduled for Tuesday. Weather does not look like it's going to cooperate though. DAMMIT LOL

btw, Mary if we gave awards here I think you'd get MOST IMPROVED for sure. You are increasing your rides and runs by leaps and bounds now and I'm enjoying watching your progress!

URGH Back to work tomorrow so I can afford to play hard on the weekends

oh and tomorrow when everyone is back I have a topic for discussion - trisuits/wetsuits etc so start thinking about that.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-06-09 4:27 PM
2013-06-09 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Hoos

Way to go Randy.  Sub-5 hours is never a cause for complaint!  Looking forward to the race report.

Michael -- really nice PR!  

Scott.

Woo-Hoo!  That is a rockin' time!  Where the heck is an update?  Laughing

First long OWS in the bag for me today.  Very relieved.

2013-06-09 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by d3term1ned

Finished my 10k this morning with another PR. 51 minutes and 15 seconds. The race was delayed by over an hour because of heavy rain, lightning and thunder. Ran in the rain which was nice for cooling but the shoes were heavy. 

Looks like Randy finished the race in 4 hours 53 minutes. 15th in his AG. Its about 6 minutes slower than Texas 70.3 bbut very consistent. Congratulations on another great race Randy!

Nice job Michael.  Especially since you had to stand around for an extra hour!!!

2013-06-09 5:24 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by d3term1ned

WOO HOO! Nicely done!

2013-06-09 6:03 PM

User image

You guys are all rockstars! Well done to Randy for his sub 5 hour finish and to everyone with great runs this weekend, too!

Suzy...glad you were able to enjoy an OWS. We've been under a deluge for the past week, so my planned swim at the dam was replaced by a 2275y YMCA swim. On a positive note, I met another member of the local tri group when I asked to share a lane (the pool was PACKED!). I'm finding that swimming, which I thought was going to be my nemesis, might actually turn out to be one of my 'easier' sports. Who knew!?

Hoping for a break in the weather tomorrow...trying to ride the bike on post (Ft. Gordon) so I can get some much needed aerobar work while not worrying about traffic. Trying to get a little brick run in afterwards as well.

Have a great week!
2013-06-09 7:42 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Nice job, Michael, way to PR!

Randy, way to have a great race, can't wait for the RR!

Busy weekend for me, 5 hour ride yesterday with a 45 minute run after. 2 hour run today...the legs are tired. Tomorrow is all recovery day
2013-06-09 8:36 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

btw, Mary if we gave awards here I think you'd get MOST IMPROVED for sure. You are increasing your rides and runs by leaps and bounds now and I'm enjoying watching your progress!

It has been fun and I am thrilled with the rides, finally gonna stop thinking I can't do the next ride each week! It is helping my confidence for sure and I do more with the group push then I do alone.

Nice race Randy! Your hard work is showing in your results!
2013-06-09 8:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Great job racing this weekend everyone. I am looking forward to the race reports.

I ran a HM (not a race, just a training run) this morning over the same course that I raced a HM a year ago.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Mile markers were still on the pavement and everything. I started out with the legs hurting pretty bad still from last weekend and the subsequent week of hard training. Even with my less than optimal (nonexistent) taper, I only ran 2:11 slower than in last years race. Feeling pretty good about that. I think things might be rounding in to shape just in time for my HIM in two weeks. I am starting to get excited.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-06-09 8:42 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88