Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-09-04 4:15 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Guess what day it is...... Hump Day!!!!! Got my bib # for Augusta today. I wont share it until closer to race day, excited like a kid at Christmas

2013-09-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

New user
Awesome Mike!! I am excited for you!!
2013-09-05 4:33 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by mbehr1983Guess what day it is...... Hump Day!!!!! Got my bib # for Augusta today. I wont share it until closer to race day, excited like a kid at Christmas

Very exciting Mike, ironman gear is VERY cool!

2013-09-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

I guess everyone is busy.... Who is racing this weekend? Lets talk about race day nutrition. What do you use? What is the plan for using raceday nutrition?                        

I am doing a sprint. 400m swim 15m ride and a 5k. I am trying to get some confidence up since the oly. I will prolly take an MLM nonsense rehydrate gel and just drink water for my race since it is short.

This will be my last race before Augusta. Next weekend will be my peak weekend so hopefully gain more confidence in the water then as well.                                                                                                  

2013-09-05 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by mbehr1983

I guess everyone is busy.... Who is racing this weekend? Lets talk about race day nutrition. What do you use? What is the plan for using raceday nutrition?                        

I am doing a sprint. 400m swim 15m ride and a 5k. I am trying to get some confidence up since the oly. I will prolly take an MLM nonsense rehydrate gel and just drink water for my race since it is short.

This will be my last race before Augusta. Next weekend will be my peak weekend so hopefully gain more confidence in the water then as well.                                                                                                  

Have a great race! Be confident in your training!

2013-09-05 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Good luck to you as well. I know you wil crush it!! I will be tracking you

Edited by mbehr1983 2013-09-05 3:45 PM

2013-09-05 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

I just realized I fell asleep on the job.  Thanks for jumping in and getting it done!!   I'm racing this weekend.  It's called "Run Woodstock"  (in Michigan, not NY).  The entire weekend is full of "hippie theme" races, music, camping, and other "natural" options ;-)

I'm doing the half marathon distance on Saturday, but running a variety of other un-timed races throughout the weekend.  If I get it all done, it will be 27 trail miles.  Good training weekend for my next 50K in two weeks.  And, best part......Bruce is coming along to make sure I keep my pace up.

carry on.

2013-09-05 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Good luck to Mike, Suzy, and Jayne! I am racing a Half Marathon Sunday. I am looking forward to a race that I will run along a beautiful river in PA. For race day nutrition, I like to eat a small breakfast at least 3-4 hours before the race. During the race, I alternate water and gaterade. I will use gels every 45 minutes or so and I will bring electrolyte tablets to most races.
2013-09-05 8:41 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by jfought

I just realized I fell asleep on the job.  Thanks for jumping in and getting it done!!   I'm racing this weekend.  It's called "Run Woodstock"  (in Michigan, not NY).  The entire weekend is full of "hippie theme" races, music, camping, and other "natural" options ;-)

I'm doing the half marathon distance on Saturday, but running a variety of other un-timed races throughout the weekend.  If I get it all done, it will be 27 trail miles.  Good training weekend for my next 50K in two weeks.  And, best part......Bruce is coming along to make sure I keep my pace up.

carry on.

I wish I knew how to whistle......... Whhhheeeeeee. Whhhhhhhhooooooo.
2013-09-06 3:31 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Expert
Noosa
Have a GREAT weekend Jayne and Bruce!!!
2013-09-06 3:40 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Good luck racers, really looking forward to tracking Suzy, I think this is going to be your best IMWI yet!

As far as nutrition goes, I usually have jam on toast or porridge (oatmeal) 3 hours before the race then sip sports drink until the start. For an Oly I'll have one bottle of Gatorade on the bike then have a gel just before getting into T2. On the run I'll drink a cup of sports drink at every aid station.

For IM I got up at about 3am and had toast, jam, peanut butter on a banana plus a can of Ensure! I think it was nearly a thousand calories and I'm sure it helped.

2013-09-06 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
On My Phone.....It Automatically Capitalizes Every WOrd. LolJust Wanted To Wish The Other Racers Good Luck, Mike, Suzy, And Linda. I'm Sending you Peace, Love, And Happiness. You All Inspire Me Beyond Words. I Have A Friend Running His First 100-Miler this Weekend. He StartS His Race At 4 Pm Today. very Exciting!Peace Out
2013-09-06 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Suzzy is going to crush this course!

you can track suzzy using this link

2013-09-06 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Thanks Mike!

I wanted to pop in one last time before Sunday to say thanks for all of the support this year.  Workouts are in the bag and now the waiting game begins.  Temps look good, winds look a little strong, but I am good to go.  Dino is going to work to keep me honest on the course.  If all goes according to plan you will see me hit the finish line a little before the 13 hour mark.  

2013-09-06 4:39 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Thanks Mike!

I wanted to pop in one last time before Sunday to say thanks for all of the support this year.  Workouts are in the bag and now the waiting game begins.  Temps look good, winds look a little strong, but I am good to go.  Dino is going to work to keep me honest on the course.  If all goes according to plan you will see me hit the finish line a little before the 13 hour mark.  

Absolutely, I will be on the course and along with Paul are going to make sure you are safe ........ and Rocking the World like we all know you can!!  If I can figure out the BT website layout with my phone, maybe I will post an update or two to the MG.   

Go get em Suzy! 

2013-09-06 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

GO, Suzy!!!!  I have SO much faith in you and the work you've put in this year - Moo is gonna be your bit**!!!

Will be tracking, as I'm watching another friends inaugural HIM.....Dino, hit FB if you can, too!!

GO, Suzy!!!

BTW - thanks for the good wishes, all, but I'm still 16 days out.......  Cool

2013-09-06 11:41 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Thanks Mike!

Go little one go!!
2013-09-07 6:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

No racing here - recovering from last weekend's race.   For Oly distance races, I use 2 Powergels diluted with an equal amount of water.  I drink about half of it 15 minutes into the bike and the other half about 15 minutes away from T2.   After taking the gel I take a couple of long pulls on my water only bottle.   Gels require water in order to enable your body to digest them, i.e., 7-8 ounces of water are required for your body to process one gel.  For me, that is enough to make it through the run - I finish the gel mix and one whole bottle of water or a 50% water/sports drink solution and I don't drink at all on the 10km run.

For an HIM, I start with one bottle of water and 1 bottle of full strength sports drink.  I drink about 1 bottle per hour on the bike.  I use a Japanese sweet called Daifuku rather than gels in an HIM (more here if you are interested.  One of these costs about $1 and has about 240 calories:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daifuku.    I ended up eating 2.5 and about 1.5 bottles of sports drink on the bike during my most recent race.   I also drank about 3 bottles of water).  On the run, I had a small glass (3-4 ounces) of water, sports drink or coke at each aid station.

??

Edited by dcon 2013-09-07 6:59 AM
2013-09-07 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Good luck to Suzy,  Jayne, Linda and Mike!!!

Mike: maybe too late for you to see this, but my suggestion for the swim is to try to start at the back and go slow.  That is really what you want to end up doing for your HIM.  Stay out of the crowds and relax, relax, relax for the swim.  Pound the bike and the run. 

2013-09-07 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
.....and.....my RR is finally here:
2013-09-07 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

ok I set a goal for 1hr 30 mins and ended up with1:29:52 so success!!! The swim was 550 not 400 but had a little panic. Breast stroked a few times and got right back into stroke. Full rr coming soon.

My mind play tricks on me in the water... fine then freak out but easy does it will get me through.

2013-09-07 3:00 PM

User image

New user
Congrats to Nadine, Dan and Mike! And good luck to Suzy, Jayne and Linda this weekend!!!

I haven't been on in awhile. My training has tanked in the last few weeks while getting the school year started. Went for my first open water swim (or any swim, for that matter) in 3 weeks. First time swimming in choppy water, and I have to say it sucked. Got through it, though. That's really my only swim goal ever. To get through it. It's time to get serious about the rest of my training. 7 weeks to go and it all of a sudden doesn't feel like enough time!
2013-09-07 3:56 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
RR here hope this works
2013-09-07 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by mbehr1983 RR here hope this works

Nope, it is here I hope....

Nice job getting through your panic moment on the swim.

2013-09-07 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
it works Dan. Thank you
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44