Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-09-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
I posted my times to my training log. Will do race report later. Right now I'm going to take pain meds and go to bed.I did make it under 8 hrs!

2013-09-07 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
I posted my times to my training log. Will do race report later. Right now I'm going to take pain meds and go to bed.I did make it under 8 hrs!
2013-09-07 5:13 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Pearland,Tx

Joe

and everybody else who wants to contribute.

Need your help with a few:

1.) While I still have time i am trying out a new nutrition , I just bought two bags of Skratch. I read the directions how to prepare them. Any other advice
thats out of the label?

2.) Just to have an idea for my upcoming Half Iron Distance in 7 weeks. Whats your nutrition plan you used for your half Iron race?

3.) Lastly bro how many days before your Half Iron race you did absolutely "nothing" purely rest and recovery.

This will really help me out Joe or anybody willing to give info.

Sincerely

Carl

2013-09-07 7:06 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Joe and everybody else who wants to contribute. Need your help with a few: 1.) While I still have time i am trying out a new nutrition , I just bought two bags of Skratch. I read the directions how to prepare them. Any other advice thats out of the label? 2.) Just to have an idea for my upcoming Half Iron Distance in 7 weeks. Whats your nutrition plan you used for your half Iron race? 3.) Lastly bro how many days before your Half Iron race you did absolutely "nothing" purely rest and recovery. This will really help me out Joe or anybody willing to give info. Sincerely Carl
1) The bag includes a measuring scoop, so I'll usually use somewhere between one and two scoops per water bottle.  If it's hotter and I'm going to sweat more, or if it's a longer ride, I'll use two scoops.  If it's a 1 hour run/ride and it's not all that hot out, I'll use 1 scoop, maybe mostly because I like the taste.  Test it out.  If 1 scoop doesn't give you any GI issues, 2 scoops shouldn't either, but test it.  You'll need some more calories, but the skratch should give you all the electrolytes you need.

2) My plan was three water bottles on the bike each with two scoops of skratch.  Plus a gel about every 30 minutes on the bike, starting about 15 minutes into the bike (I think I've discussed before that you're supposed to wait 15 minutes or so after getting on the bike before taking in a gel or comparable calories).  This worked well for me on the bike, energy-wise I felt great coming off the bike and starting the run.  My plan for the run was a gel every 20 minutes.  I brought my own in a flask, so I knew they were ones I liked so I didn't expect any GI issues.  I intended to just take water at the aid stations.

What I found, what my biggest lesson from my race was, was that this plan broke down on the run.  By the second gel in I had no desire to take any more of those.  Wasn't experiencing any GI issues, but trying to take the gel was very unpleasant and I didn't feel like lack of energy was the problem.  That's me though.  I think lack of leg strength/endurance was my big issue.  The point is that if/when I do another HIM, my bike plan will be the same, but I'll just take a water bottle with concentrated skratch on the run with me.  Maybe a bottle with four scoops and use that with water on the course to make it last the full two-ish hours.  No gels, I don't need them on the run, they hurt me more than they help at that point.  But again, that's me, everyone's experience is different.

3) My race was a Sunday morning, I took the preceding Friday and Saturday off.  My intention going in was to do a very easy swim Friday morning, but life got in the way and I don't think I was able to, if I remember correctly.  My logs have every run/swim/bike workout I've done this year as of a few days ago (haven't updated in a few days), so you can see if you're curious.

2013-09-07 7:07 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by miche033 I posted my times to my training log. Will do race report later. Right now I'm going to take pain meds and go to bed.I did make it under 8 hrs!
Congratulations!!  Really happy for you, can't wait to hear the details!
2013-09-07 7:25 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Joe

Really appreciate your quick response, read your reply atleast 2x and seriously looking into concentrate skratch and dilute with water at water stations. I am really interested in 2 gels per 30mins on the bike ill give it a try. I'll experiment it on training and i may have a strong chance im doing a
bike focus Sprint Triathlon Next Sunday 500m/21mi/5mi . It is also a good brick training for me.

Thanks again Bro.

Carl

2013-09-07 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Joe Really appreciate your quick response, read your reply atleast 2x and seriously looking into concentrate skratch and dilute with water at water stations. I am really interested in 2 gels per 30mins on the bike ill give it a try. I'll experiment it on training and i may have a strong chance im doing a bike focus Sprint Triathlon Next Sunday 500m/21mi/5mi . It is also a good brick training for me. Thanks again Bro. Carl
My pleasure but just to be clear for me it was 1 gel every 30 minutes on the bike.  So by the time I got off the bike I had eaten 6 gels.
2013-09-07 8:55 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by miche033

Woohoo! Congrats!
2013-09-07 10:36 PM

User image

Fabulous! Congratulations!
2013-09-08 7:00 AM

User image

Originally posted by ransick

Welcome Jill! Being bike focused is perfect for triathlon since that is the longest leg time wise in a tri. You can totally do the run in a full IM since most, if not all MOP triathletes do a run/walk for the marathon. I haven't done a full IM yet, but have read many times that a stand alone full marathon is a lot harder on your body than a full IM marathon since most people do more walking in the full IM marathon.

That is one of the best things i've ever heard! lol ... I can manage it if I can walk some. I pictured people running like it's no big deal and then there's me comng along who can barely lift my legs!

What is a "MOP" triathlete?
2013-09-08 7:06 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi Jill, Welcome to the group. I peaked at your profile and I see you're another Canuck eh. I think that makes 5 of us now (if we're all still here).

Check out "Kids of Steel" for your daughter (if she is interested). I watched a Kids of Steel event before my last Sprint last year and the kids were phenomenal to watch. Very exciting to watch and inspirational too. A really great gift to give a child.

Yes, another Canuck here ...

I have peeked at the KOS and my daughter is interested - we were going to do a local race this summer but it never worked out. She doesn't really have a suitable bike - only a BMX bike so we'll get her one over the winter. I wanted to put her in triathlon camp this summer but it didn't work out ... there's a triathlon training program offered here in Jan (she's too young but I am going to call and see if we can fit her in). She needs experience/training ... but she sees mom and dad doing it and I think she would love it. I agree - LOVE watching the kids. We had a tri here and there were some 8//12 year olds on the course ... really good to see!

I see you're from Penticton - my friend just did her first IM there a couple weeks ago, very inspiring!

2013-09-08 7:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by jillebean

Originally posted by PsyTri

Welcome!!! Glad to have you. It's a great group. You'll enjoy it.

Thanks!

welcome Jill!!!! Just read your goals I believe they are very reallistic and doable. You just need to pick the right training plan where you can swing marathon and Triathlon. I am training for a marathon myself for November Rock N' Roll. I am just told by my sub4 runner friends that make sure after a long run 10 + miles i rest atleast 48 hours to recover then resume Swim,Bike,Run training, the short runs can easily be inserted with your triathlon plan.

Cheers!!! Goodluck!!!!

Great advice! I definitely wouldn't have done that ... haha. I have a problem taking days off ... silly but I have to work on that!
2013-09-08 7:37 AM
in reply to: jillebean

User image

I am back from a weekend bike tour ... I participated in the Hilly Hundred - Ontario's toughest century ride, so they say. I think they were right! I have never rode so many hills in my entire life.

I can't log it in the training thing because my Garmin is only for the run .. so I'll recap here.

There were 120 participants and I was riding solo (which,in retrospect, kind of sucked). There were 5 distances - 38, 70, 128, 175, 244. I chose 128 because I figured it was right in the middle. I've only rode the distance 2x prior. I started near the beginning and was about 5th on the bike ... could see someone up ahead and was following him - I didn't know the route (mistake #1) but thankfully did have a map. As I rounded a corner, I didn't see anyone up ahead but kept on ... came down a hill, still no one ahead. I knew there was no way they could have disappeared from sight so I pulled out the map and finally figured out I missed a turn! So I biked an extra 3k ... 6k with having to bike back ... I honestly was so discouraged that I wanted to quit. I was only 20k into the ride ....

Turned around and found the turn ... came across 3 people, chatted for a second and went on by. This road was very hilly - lots of very steep hills ... actually had gears in lowest which I've never done on this bike - I ride big hills often but these were one after another and just killing me .... I passed another person and finally came to checkpoint 1. Realized I had lost race bib ... seriously, not my day! They weren't so happy with me. Continued on the hilly course ... solo, no one in sight.

To make matters worse, there was no service on phone because we were out in the middle of nowhere ... and my phone died because it was searching for service constantly.

At around 80km, I noticed people in the distance ... 2 guys riding, who I had passed early on in the race. I honestly couldn't believe I had caught them but was starting to bonk a bit. I didn't have a lot left in the tank. And 50k to go ... I was consuming jellies and ate a Cliff bar at 65k but my legs were dyyyying. I couldn't catch them .... 2nd checkpoint, as I got there - they left. I left a couple mins later and the lady told me to go catch them ... NO problem! yah right ... I'd get close and they'd get faster. I finally passed them at 89k when they were stopped for a stretch. They quickly caught me and I decided there was no way they were riding past me. I hung on to their back wheel and felt like I was in heaven. I stayed with them from 90-110 ... at this point, we passed 3 other guys who joined in, the pace picked up and there was a massive hill ahead - at least 1km ... I couldn't hold on ... my feet were completely numb (any advice?) and mentally, I was having a tough time. I decided I needed to just get off the bike .... I stopped and could barely walk. Took my shoes off and slooooowly worked feeling back into my toes. Tried to stretch but legs were extremely stiff. A race car immediately came by and checked on me which was nice. Got back on the bike - felt better and continued on. 6km later, I hit the final rest stop - the 2 guys that I had originally been drafting were there and told me they stopped and waited for me (that was awesome to hear that they did that, although I felt bad). The pit stop was heaven ... bananas, watermelon ... I then took the shorter route back because I had already biked an extra 6k so finished the last 12k for a total of 130k. I ended up finishing ahead of my 2 friends and the other group of 3 to wind up in the top 5 of my race distance.

All in all, everything worked out great but it was the toughest ride I've ever done! Mentally and physically ...
2013-09-08 9:03 AM
in reply to: jillebean

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jillebean
Originally posted by ransickWelcome Jill! Being bike focused is perfect for triathlon since that is the longest leg time wise in a tri. You can totally do the run in a full IM since most, if not all MOP triathletes do a run/walk for the marathon. I haven't done a full IM yet, but have read many times that a stand alone full marathon is a lot harder on your body than a full IM marathon since most people do more walking in the full IM marathon.
That is one of the best things i've ever heard! lol ... I can manage it if I can walk some. I pictured people running like it's no big deal and then there's me comng along who can barely lift my legs! What is a "MOP" triathlete?
MOP = middle of the pack
2013-09-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Good job Jill on your century, Great ride report!!!!

Race reports are inspiring in this group.

you can manually input your data time:

Training Log-> Add Today's workout-> Bike(double click) -> Fill up the form and make sure you save.

Cheers!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-08 3:53 PM
2013-09-08 6:30 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

let me knw your thoughts on this

Day 1 B race Oly

Day 2-6 rest and recovery

Day 7 HIM

2013-09-08 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergtGuys/Galslet me knw your thoughts on thisDay 1 B race OlyDay 2-6 rest and recoveryDay 7 HIM
My thoughts are that is not what I would do. 7 days before your HIM is definitely part of the taper period, and I generally don't work out longer than an hour or so at a time during taper period. And certainly I don't work as hard on any taper workout as I would during a race.
2013-09-08 8:09 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by strykergtGuys/Galslet me knw your thoughts on thisDay 1 B race OlyDay 2-6 rest and recoveryDay 7 HIM
My thoughts are that is not what I would do. 7 days before your HIM is definitely part of the taper period, and I generally don't work out longer than an hour or so at a time during taper period. And certainly I don't work as hard on any taper workout as I would during a race.

was trying to sneak a C-race HIM before my A-HIM i guess not a good idea , i really need that Oly to prepare well for my HIM on Nov.
Thanks again bro
2013-09-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Race report posted!

Edited by miche033 2013-09-08 8:19 PM
2013-09-08 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt Joe and everybody else who wants to contribute. Need your help with a few: 1.) While I still have time i am trying out a new nutrition , I just bought two bags of Skratch. I read the directions how to prepare them. Any other advice thats out of the label? 2.) Just to have an idea for my upcoming Half Iron Distance in 7 weeks. Whats your nutrition plan you used for your half Iron race? 3.) Lastly bro how many days before your Half Iron race you did absolutely "nothing" purely rest and recovery. This will really help me out Joe or anybody willing to give info. Sincerely Carl

Carl - Go read my race report.

As for tapering, I did nothing more than an hour the week before. Mon I did a short bike and short swim. Tues I did a short run. Wed I did nothing. Thurs I did a short run. Fri I did nothing (although training plan called for a 20 min bike.) You can look at my training log from last week. The idea is to shorten overall workouts, and include some short stretches of high intensity. For example, run 40 min, and do 45 s at race pace, followed by a min or two recovery, repeat 5 or 6 times. Just enough to get your muscles warmed up, but nothing too taxing.

2013-09-08 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
You are super excited, aren't you carl? Just stick to your original plan. An oly and a HIM is PLENTY to finish out your first season! Really!

2013-09-08 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Race report posted!

And I think I'm not going to do another HIM any time soon. It's too long. Maybe the aquabike (no running!).

I do think I'm going to go sign up for a late season sprint now. I want to go out on a happy note this season.

2013-09-08 10:19 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

was trying to sneak a C-race HIM before my A-HIM i guess not a good idea , i really need that Oly to prepare well for my HIM on Nov.
Thanks again bro

I agree with Joe. Plus, it's tough not to try to race someone that just passed you on the bike or run when you know you are faster.
2013-09-08 10:25 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Race report posted!

And I think I'm not going to do another HIM any time soon. It's too long. Maybe the aquabike (no running!).

I do think I'm going to go sign up for a late season sprint now. I want to go out on a happy note this season.

Everyone is different, but at this stage in my short tri career, I like the Oly distance. Long enough that all the gear prep and travel is worth it, short enough that nutrition and long training days aren't required.
2013-09-09 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Maybe, Joe & Jill, we should start a 3/8ths ironman race with a 10k run instead of a half marathon! Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41