General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-04-28 6:11 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Happy Monday! I ran the Long Branch Half Marathon yesterday. My 2nd half ever, only 4 weeks after my first. I finished in 2:32.22. That's almost 6 minutes faster than Philly (2:38.19). The weather was so much better than Philly. Skies were clear and the sun was shining. Temp was around 45 at the 6:50am start and climbed towards 50 at the finish. I did start to have some pain in my foot and toes at mile 8-9 but didn't let it deter me. I was pacing with the 2:30 pace team until that point. I fell back a little and then kicked to the finish (too early). I thought I had passed mile 12 so I started a kick to the finish. Problem... I was only at 11.5ish. The last 1/2 mile kicked by butt and I wanted to walk but I wouldn't let myself stop. While I would have loved to break the 2:30 mark, I'm very happy with my time. Funny thing is, my GPS told me I did 13.1 right at 2:30, but my overall distance was 13.32. I guess I need to learn to run a straighter line!

Great job! That is pretty funny about your GPS. Though, that is within margin of error of those things. They don't track you 10) percent and round out the distance between measurements. They are more accurate if you are running in a straight line. Lots of twists and turns and they can "cut the corners".

2014-04-28 7:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I don't believe I missed this...

Welcome to the group, Joline!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent job on the HM Mike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit the pool for my usual Monday shenanigans... Managed a 100yd warm-up, followed by a 450yd swim (right about 15 mins), and then it happened... The whistle blew. Pool closed for inclement weather. Oh well, starting this week our sitter (Mom) is showing up at 5:30 instead of 7 so I can get an extra swim in the 3 weeks before it counts. I've also noted that the lanes are actually getting full at 6am instead of having 2-3 open... This sucks...

Query: Since I am at my target distance with the swim, what do I need to do now? I am constantly working on form (I have issues rolling enough to get my left arm out of the water), but should I work on increasing speed or distance? Just and FYI: I am looking at the Mighty Mite Tri in July. That'll be a 1/3 mile which 586 1/3yds or 12 laps... I do normally do kick drills (no fins), but not pull drills.

2 weeks, 5 Days

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-04-28 7:43 AM
2014-04-28 9:13 AM

User image

Thanks for the welcomes, all! And Mike, congrats on the second half!

I ran a 5k this weekend, and ran the whole thing for only the second time in my life, and the first time in 4 years. Running is definitely my weakest sport, so I was really happy about completing. I ran around a 13 min mile, which is what I have been doing in training as well, but for much shorter distances. I am definitely sore today, but in a good way, if that makes sense?
2014-04-28 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Get back out there Jiline! Good job!

I ran a 5k yesterday as well!
31:30!
Not my fastest 5k, but it was my fastest 3.35 miles - by my GPS!
Sub 9:30 by gps!
I only say that as my friend who ran also got 3.3 on her GPS as well as a couple others saying it was longer than a 5k!

But everyone ran the same course and I was happy with my race and the results!

Dropped my bike off for a tune up yesterday at the lBILs!
Local brother in laws shop!
2014-04-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4988374

User image

Also - drive ring from the flu - so very happy w the time!
2014-04-29 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4988378

User image

Had a little mishap last night. Was walking through the living room and stepped on a wooden letter block. I took a dime-sized chunk of meat out of my heel. Needless to say, I didn't hit the weights last night, and I am not running tonight. I am planning on hitting the pool in the AM, but I'm staying off of it (mostly) and hoping it stays sealed up. Thursday, I'm hoping to resume my training... grrrr

2 weeks, 4 days

2014-04-30 8:45 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

WebFootFreak -- oh no! that sounds like it hurts! here's hoping it heals quickly.

I was feeling incredibly lethargic yesterday, but I somehow forced myself to the pool and was able to do my swim -- nothing fancy this time, as there was only one lane open for lap swimming and my brain was focused on not being in anyone else's way! Because of that, I wasn't able to count my laps in my head like I normally do -- does anyone have suggestions for counting laps?

I may have to adjust my training schedule to allow myself a rest day today, as its pouring rain outside and I may not be able to get to the gym due to work constraints.
2014-04-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: jolinebean

User image

As far as counting laps... I think the lap # every time my right hand hits the water... I still mess it up tho!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thankfully my heel has stayed sealed up pretty good. Hit the pool at the Y this morning (Thanks Mom!) for 100, 50 (got out of time and choked on some water), 500, kick drills 50X2, 600, kick drills 50X2, then hit the gas for a quick 50. My times were pretty good. Since I was in the last lane, I had a clock right in my face when I started my laps. The first 450 took me about 11 mins, and the second took me about 12. My quick lap was timed at :48. Now that I've seemed to have found my pace, I'm sucking wind a little bit when I get done with my long swims (again, no kick flips, just grabbing the wall, turning and taking off again), but I'm not wiped out by any means.

I guess my run tomorrow morning will tell me how well my heal is heeled
2014-04-30 11:51 AM

I have never posted on a BT Forum, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. Didn't know whether to reply to the first message from the mentors, or the last most current one...so here goes!

NAME / username: Stef

STORY: My first sprint tri was Sept. 2012, less than 10 months after having my daughter....and I absolutely loved it. Loved training, etc. Got into a sad depression when it was over (didn't know how to train off season or have a goal for the following year) and life/stress happened ever since..

FAMILY STATUS: Barely married, almost 2.5 yr old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: Working on restarting the BT 20 week runner focused sprint. I was into it a month, and then chose a race yesterday, so by my recalculations, I need to start over May 4th.

2013 RACES/ results - None, wasn't training in 2013 either.

2014 plans and RACES: Wallis Sands Sprint Tri, Sept. 21st

WEIGHTLOSS: For the new year, I was 241. Weighed in today at 205. Lifetime Goal Weight: 139
2014-04-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4989329

User image

Welcome Stef and good luck!
Many first timers in this group and a few that just finished their first!
2014-04-30 12:54 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

Thanks Clarkey!

2014-04-30 8:40 PM
in reply to: dannhausens

User image

Im not sick anymore, but my body is still recovering.
Get tired quickly while working out.

30 minutes of weight - Chest / Tri's.
Felt really good to push some iron again - "The pump is my drug"

Then 2 miels 20 min.
Started off at 11 min miles worked up to sub 9.

I think I am back, hoping to get back on track this week and be in full go get em mode this weekend.
2014-05-01 8:02 AM

User image

Welcome to the madness Stef!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to admit I'm a bit upset. I have just over 2 weeks to my first tri, and at the moment I am sidelined from the run... For me, the run is the weakest of the 3 disciplines by a wide margin. Got home from work last night, and after being on my feet all day, the bandage on my heel was not clean. Of course, that means that the wound is not sealed up completely. I got up to run this morning, and the bandage I put on last night still wasn't clean. I taped it up real good (being an idiot), and stretched for my run. After stretching my calves, I could feel a little tickle in my heel... Actively bleeding again ... I pulled the plug this morning, and I'm going to not run until this is healed. I may end up walking a good bit of the race... but... DANGIT (much cleaner and about 80 syllables shorter than what I WANT to say at this moment) I am GOING. TO. FINISH.

LOL! I suppose now I am going to HAVE to run another sprint this year...

2 weeks, 2 days.
2014-05-01 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4989646

User image

WFF
Doesn't matter if you run walk or crawl - you will finish!
2014-05-01 6:07 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Query: Since I am at my target distance with the swim, what do I need to do now? I am constantly working on form (I have issues rolling enough to get my left arm out of the water), but should I work on increasing speed or distance? Just and FYI: I am looking at the Mighty Mite Tri in July. That'll be a 1/3 mile which 586 1/3yds or 12 laps... I do normally do kick drills (no fins), but not pull drills.

I would work on building distance and endurance. My experience is that as you add distance and concentrate on your form, your speed will increase as a bonus. OWS distances are more difficult than their pool equivalent. There's no side to grab or push off from.
2014-05-01 6:09 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by jolinebean

Thanks for the welcomes, all! And Mike, congrats on the second half!

I ran a 5k this weekend, and ran the whole thing for only the second time in my life, and the first time in 4 years. Running is definitely my weakest sport, so I was really happy about completing. I ran around a 13 min mile, which is what I have been doing in training as well, but for much shorter distances. I am definitely sore today, but in a good way, if that makes sense?

Congrats on the 5K! The good soreness definitly makes sense! Enjoy the pain!

2014-05-01 6:11 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Clarkey77

Get back out there Jiline! Good job!

I ran a 5k yesterday as well!
31:30!
Not my fastest 5k, but it was my fastest 3.35 miles - by my GPS!
Sub 9:30 by gps!
I only say that as my friend who ran also got 3.3 on her GPS as well as a couple others saying it was longer than a 5k!

But everyone ran the same course and I was happy with my race and the results!

Dropped my bike off for a tune up yesterday at the lBILs!
Local brother in laws shop!

Nice job Clarkey! Gotta love when the pace gets into single digits!
2014-05-01 6:12 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Had a little mishap last night. Was walking through the living room and stepped on a wooden letter block. I took a dime-sized chunk of meat out of my heel. Needless to say, I didn't hit the weights last night, and I am not running tonight. I am planning on hitting the pool in the AM, but I'm staying off of it (mostly) and hoping it stays sealed up. Thursday, I'm hoping to resume my training... grrrr

2 weeks, 4 days

Ouch! I hope that heals quickly!
2014-05-01 6:15 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by jolinebean

WebFootFreak -- oh no! that sounds like it hurts! here's hoping it heals quickly.

I was feeling incredibly lethargic yesterday, but I somehow forced myself to the pool and was able to do my swim -- nothing fancy this time, as there was only one lane open for lap swimming and my brain was focused on not being in anyone else's way! Because of that, I wasn't able to count my laps in my head like I normally do -- does anyone have suggestions for counting laps?

I may have to adjust my training schedule to allow myself a rest day today, as its pouring rain outside and I may not be able to get to the gym due to work constraints.

I use a lap counter on my finger. It's the only way I can keep track. I just can't do it in my head.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?subscribe=Y&ProductCod...

2014-05-01 6:17 PM
in reply to: dannhausens

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by dannhausens

I have never posted on a BT Forum, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. Didn't know whether to reply to the first message from the mentors, or the last most current one...so here goes!

NAME / username: Stef

STORY: My first sprint tri was Sept. 2012, less than 10 months after having my daughter....and I absolutely loved it. Loved training, etc. Got into a sad depression when it was over (didn't know how to train off season or have a goal for the following year) and life/stress happened ever since..

FAMILY STATUS: Barely married, almost 2.5 yr old daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: Working on restarting the BT 20 week runner focused sprint. I was into it a month, and then chose a race yesterday, so by my recalculations, I need to start over May 4th.

2013 RACES/ results - None, wasn't training in 2013 either.

2014 plans and RACES: Wallis Sands Sprint Tri, Sept. 21st

WEIGHTLOSS: For the new year, I was 241. Weighed in today at 205. Lifetime Goal Weight: 139

Welcome to the group Stef! I hope you find this group helpful with tips, motivation and just plain fun!
2014-05-01 6:22 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Welcome to the madness Stef!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to admit I'm a bit upset. I have just over 2 weeks to my first tri, and at the moment I am sidelined from the run... For me, the run is the weakest of the 3 disciplines by a wide margin. Got home from work last night, and after being on my feet all day, the bandage on my heel was not clean. Of course, that means that the wound is not sealed up completely. I got up to run this morning, and the bandage I put on last night still wasn't clean. I taped it up real good (being an idiot), and stretched for my run. After stretching my calves, I could feel a little tickle in my heel... Actively bleeding again ... I pulled the plug this morning, and I'm going to not run until this is healed. I may end up walking a good bit of the race... but... DANGIT (much cleaner and about 80 syllables shorter than what I WANT to say at this moment) I am GOING. TO. FINISH.

LOL! I suppose now I am going to HAVE to run another sprint this year...

2 weeks, 2 days.

You WILL finish! You've built up a solid base. Believe it or not, you won't lose that fitness over the next 2 weeks. Keep up your swimming and bike and let the foot heal (just realized the humor in the heel/heal). I'm betting that you're going to be fine and have a great race!

And you know what, run another one for the heck of it. It's amazing how you can get addicted and you'll want to do race after race.

2014-05-01 6:23 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Clarkey77

WFF
Doesn't matter if you run walk or crawl - you will finish!

X2 ...whether first or last, we all cross the same finish line!
2014-05-01 6:29 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Well, now that I've filled your inbox with all my "catch up" posts

I've been taking it easy this week. Reverse taper back into training after the HM. It takes this body a few days to recover.

We did hit the TRX class yesterday. It's such a great workout. I'm very bummed because that gym is closing and we won't have our Wed TRX workouts. I purchased a set of TRX straps off Craigslist, so the plan is to hook that up in the basement.

Today was a planned rest day.

Up and out at 5am tomorrow for a swim.

3 weeks to my first sprint of the year and I'm not feeling ready. Albeit, this is not my "A" race and it is a smaller, low key race.
2014-05-02 7:31 PM

User image

Lifted for 30 min - Back / Bi

Then hit the road - not the dreadmill for a nice run.
Planned a nice easy run. and that's what it was.

4 miles 38 min. Yup fastest longest run EVA!
9:30 miles - Ive recently crushed the 10 min mile and haven't run an over 10 min miles except for warming up in a while!

Im feeling pretty good about it too!
(don't get cocky kid - your still pretty damn slow).

But I felt good, great in fact, the last half mile wasn't much fun!
I'm not sure I could have gone much further.

Anyway - plan for the weekend.
workout tomorrow AM and a long Bike either tomorrow PM or Sunday AM.

April Totals - a little misleading - doesn't have my sprint in there.
Also I ramped down before and after the race, then was sidelined for a week by the flu!

Swim: 1h 00m - 1200 Yd

Bike: 2h 18m - 38.6 Mi

Run: 5h 09m 42s - 29.95 Mi

Strength: 48m
2014-05-02 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4990162

User image

Hit the pool today. Got there a bit later that normal. The wife got in a bit earlier than usual, so I wanted to give her the opportunity to go... nope.

I got there during the "lunch rush" and I was going to share a lane when my favorite lane cleared out. I did my normal 100yd warmup, then I went for it... I hit 600 and felt good... 700 and going strong... 800 and my arms started tri get heavy... 900 and I got a small surge of energy when I realized I had passed the 1/2mi mark... 1000yds... and I felt AWESOME!!!. Yes, my arms were limp noodles, but it felt so good to hit that mark! I followed it with kick drills 50x2 (why do people use flippers?). I was running out of time (child care), so instead of a gassed 50, I tried for a quick 100 (pushing myself, but still having enough juice for 100yds).

My times (clock)
450yds (11:20)
1000yds (26:00)
Quick 100yds (2:05)

I think after this race, I may suck it up and get a couple-few lessons with a swim coach...

Foot is much better. I can walk on it normally. Methinks I'll wait until Tuesday to try running on it again tho.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28165 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100353 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16475 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?