Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-08-29 6:13 AM
in reply to: #945121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Andi - you did a FANTASTIC job in your first tri! Wow...were you ever ready for that race.  Great work! You stud-muffin triathlete you!  Glad to hear you're hooked, too....I figured it was just a matter of time. Congratulations, girl!

2007-08-29 7:24 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Veteran
Miami
ANDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATUL;ATIONS!!! YEY triathlete super swimmer !!!
you did fabulously! I am so proud of all your hard work and I know you are hooked so I won't ask you!!!!
I met someone that will be doing your same tri and I was like: "OMG Andi is doing that race as well" he looked at me all cofussed! hahaha so i clarified ans was like, yes my friend Andi!!(cyber friend for now hahahahaha))

I can't imagine how hard it is to actually have to deal with hills all over the course....i would really not be ready for htat!!!!!

Signing up for another sprint was smart!!! its just so much fun you know?? We will be TOTALYL ready for our OLY in september!!! I cannot wait!!!! I will think of you all the way... send you love Andi!!!!!

mwak kwak
2007-08-29 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Great job ANDI!  You did fantastic!

You will kick that Oly's butt!  ;-)

I am ROLLING after reading your cycling lingo!  I have to pass that on to my boss who is a big-time cyclist and a huge part of why I started cycling last year.  (He convinced me that I could do all kinds of crazy things!)

Again, good job!  You should be very proud of your accomplishment.  You will be on the podium in no time! 

2007-08-29 9:00 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

YIPPEE, Andi!  I just saw the posted times and you did awesome!  I'm so proud of you.  I love it when women/moms/aunts set examples like this for our kids.  It's so important for them to see us shine and GIRL, YOU ARE SPARKLING!  Oh, loved the cyclist funny.  That is so my husband...he wants me to ride with him, but he literally rides circles around me!   

Christine, I've enjoyed being a part of the group with you.  Drop in and let us know how you're doing.  You've had a great season too!  You will be missed...sigh...

Kat, how's everyone in your house doing?  Have things calmed down for you?  Life can be so hectic some times!  Just thinking about you...

I hope everyone has a lovely day!  Oh, Rich and Felipe, thanks for the marathon advice.  I'm going with the only run to 20/22 miles plan.  Since this is my first marathon and I just want to complete it, I think this is a good strategy/plan for me to use.   

Angela

2007-08-29 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Establishing Your Short and Long Term Goals
Hey Gang!

Angela had mentioned in a note to me about time to create some short term goals. I have a little exercise that you can do to help you sort those goals out!

Step 1: With pen (pencil) and paper, jot down all of the things you want to accomplish. These are short term and long term things; sports related and non-sports related.

Step 2: Translate your goal into a visual: Like a picture, a drawing, a photo from a magazine. (Examples: My wife and I want to go on a cruise.....so get a photo of a cruise ship from a travel magazine or newspaper. I want to compete in an IM distance .... so picture of a racer coming across a finish line at an IM event and replace face with my face! :p).

Note: Maybe your goal is to complete a Triathlon by a certain time: Write the time you want to reach on a piece of paper and follow Steps 3 and Steps 4. If you want to complete your first marathon, you can simply write 26.2 on a piece of paper. It doesn't have to be difficult on your visuals.

Step 3: Purchase a small photo album (like a 4" x 4" or 5" x 5" size).

Step 4: Place your visuals in to the photo album sleeves.

Place that in a prominent place where you can look at it periodically. When you become unmotivated or need inspiration or are a little down, pull your Goal Book!

This is a good way for you to visualize your goals.

I have a book that I have continued to update over the years. It now has a visual of my home office with a library all done in oak with floor to ceiling book shelves. I also have a photo of a Bed & Breakfast that my wife and I would like to buy! I have a racer coming across a finishline at an IM event with arms raised in triumph! I have to take out my photo of a Trinity A1, because I bought it and have met that goal of purchasing it.

Have fun doing this! It is a lot of fun! It can be a story that you share with others. (Felipe: It is a chick magnet, too! :P I'm not sure why, but it is according to the women around me .....just show a little skin! Teeheetee!).

Hope this helps everyone!

Rich

2007-08-29 4:55 PM
in reply to: #946042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey everyone!  Thanks for the advice on short/long term goal planning, Rich.  I'm definitely going to do some goal planning once I get past this insane season.  Right now my short term goal is "get through today" and my long term goal is "get through tomorrow!"

Quick update on the craziness here:  My dh had his ACL reconstruction surgery on Monday.  Everything went smoothly and he's resting comfortably here at home for two weeks.  My daughter's pneumonia is improving, though not completely clear.  She's good to go for school and all activities though, so other than finishing up the antibiotics, we're fine there.  My babies are in school as of Monday, with my youngest baby starting kindergarten this year (sniff...sniff) and I'm surviving that just fine. I'm still behind on my client work so I'm chaining myself to the computer for the next three days. And, oh yes, I have an oly to race in on Monday.  Fortunately for me, my friends from church are providing meals and yard work help for us right now - that takes a HUGE load off of me!!!

Training has been a bit ad hoc, but I'm plugging through and feeling pretty good about the race (when I've had time to think about it).  The only bummer is that this might be the first race that my dh has to miss.  We're going to see how he's feeling over the weekend and then maybe recruit some friends to help him out through the morning.  We'll see.  I have two goals for this race: 1) Finish in less than 3:24 (my first oly time) and 2) average faster than a 10/min mile on the run.  That might be tricky depending on the weather.  It has been HOT lately, but they're predicting slightly cooler weather for Monday, and maybe some overcast skies.  One can hope!

So glad to hear that everyone's season is still going well.  Who's still got races on the calendar?  I've totally lost track.....

Love y'all!

2007-08-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: #946404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
GREAT Update, Katz!

Glad to hear your hubbie went through surgery without complications. I'm sure that added to the normal stress and strains of your life! And your little one with pneumonia....make sure she doesn't overdue it. You may have to hold her down to get some rest as she becomes refreshed and renewed! Don't want a relapse there! I'm just impressed how you are balancing everything and church folks are a blessing aren't they!

I'm rooting for you on Monday during your race. I'm racing on Monday as well, but just a half-marathon. Gun goes off at 6:00 AM (thank goodness) because someone turned up the burners out here in Southern California. 106 degrees (without the humidity factored in!). Feels like 115 out there.

My race schedule is:

09/03 - Disney Half Marathon
09/09 - Los Angeles Triathlon
09/23 - Long Beach Triathlon (????)
09/30 - Steamboat Triathlon (Sprint)
10/14 - Long Beach International Half-Marathon
11/22 - Turkey Tri
12/09 - Rose Bowl Half-Marathon

That will close out my season and keep me out of mischief!! :p Woooo Hoooo!

2007-08-31 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Howdy Gang! Well some good news and bad news.....the good news is I'm going to get plenty of rest......the bad news..........

My race season has come to a crashing abrupt end! I have been sidelined by severe pain in my rotator cuff caused by torn ligaments, pulled muscles, and tendonitis in the rotator cuff of my right shoulder. I'm totally bummed......I'm bypassing physical therapy and going right to the surgeon by my docs orders. Said that no amount of PT is going to help....I messed it up, but good! Doc was surprised I hadn't been in before this screaming about the pain......truthfully, nothing really hurt.......we are guessing that the impingement (pinched nerve) in the rotator cuff is the most recent injury and that it triggered all of the painful build up.

No swimming, no cycling, and no running......had to scratch from the Disneyland Half, the LA Tri, and the Long Beach International. Might be able to salvage the Pasadena Half Marathon.

I'll keep you posted....!

Rich
Your "Side-Lined" Mentor!
2007-09-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: #949273

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
OH NO!!!  Rich, I'm so sorry to hear that!  I hope that you're not in too much pain.  I'm glad the surgeons can fix you up, but total bummer about having to cut your season short! Well...at least you will get some rest.  Might be good for the rest of your body, too.  Let us know when surgery is...and take care of that shoulder....

Edited by katzchen55 2007-09-01 7:47 AM
2007-09-01 1:41 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

OUCH!  That's terrible Rich!  I hope you get better soon.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Well, our group will have to train smart to make you proud as we finish up the tri season and begin 1/2 and full marathon training!  We still need you, mentor!

Angela 

2007-09-01 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Rich, that freakin sucks man!!!

I hope everything goes well in the surgery so that you can be back on track soon! Please keep us updated.

Rich, my back pain has gotten better after these days of rest. I think it was all the swimming I did!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

FR

2007-09-02 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Figures our great mentor would have to go down AFTER he blows away his monthly goals to avoid wearing a budgie smuggler! Rich, I read the sling comment, and I'm hoping that you'll be sporting two slings and not one if you know what I mean. But if the gals lose, it isn't for lack of effort!

Thanks everyone for all of your awesome support in my first tri. You make me feel soooo special that there really are no words but THANK YOU. You are all in my mind when I'm racing, as if you were right behind me pushing me every step of the way!

I have to re-read my entry again. You are all laughing at my cycling lingo? What the heck did I type??? haha

I've taken a couple of days off since running 10K on Friday to finish up my run goal. I should have biked today, but just enjoyed being lazy. I'll try and get 30 under my belt tomorrow. After all, I have another tri next Saturday! Maybe this time I'll remember my race number and chip...DUH.

I hope you are all having a wonderful and safe Labor Day weekend. Keep runnin' and wear those helmets!
2007-09-03 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Another oly for me!

Hey folks!  I raced in my second oly ever this morning, and I had a GREAT RACE!!  I took more than 22 minutes off of my last oly time - I'm so happy! Final time was 3:01:38.  I met both of my goals for the race - finished well below my last time, and I ran a 9:31/mile through the 10K.  I wasn't sure I could maintain that pace for the distance, so I really surprised myself.  It helps that it was overcast and unseasonably cool today for September - but I'll take all the help I can get!  My race report is up, in case you want more details.

So for the first time ever, my run rank was better than my bike rank.  Guess it's time to switch focus and really get my butt in gear on the bike.  My next race is a sprint, but the bike course is hilly, and the run course is cross-country with hills.   Since the distance isn't an issue for me, I need help working on the hills. 

Rich, this is where I could use your help.  Are there things I should be doing other than hill repeats (exercises, other drills) on the bike or run that I can work on for the next month?  I want to finish my season strong!!

PS - How's the shoulder feeling? I hope you're icing it down a lot and taking it easy.  I know it's hard.  I've been watching my hubby struggle with the antsies while he's down after his surgery.  Not a whole lot of fun....

2007-09-04 10:07 AM
in reply to: #951057

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Howdy and HAPPY September!
Howdy All!

So let's find out what are your goals for September? (Mine is to recover! Teeheeeheee)

Andi: Your lingo post was the lingo provided by your friend....very funny!

Katz: Hill Repeats for both the run and the cycling should help you prepare for your more terrain challenged event.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes....my shoulder is doing better! I'm not in as much pain today. I have almost no range of motion (ROM), but at least the pain is decreasing. I'll keep you posted!

2007-09-04 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: New Avatar's Ladies?
Well some of the ladies will be sporting new avatars.......on the upside I hope that the challenge showed what you could do individually! I know it helped me......OK, the injury didn't, but I did get some quality time in the pool and my running was way up!

Looks like I'll be getting more running in than anything else over the next couple of months.

I'll have to work on a new avatar sporting my arm sling.

Rich
[email protected]
2007-09-04 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Well Rich, at least it was worth it cause we WON!!!! HA HA!!

I was a fraid that if we would lose I would have to put an assatar with my underwear on 'cause I wasn't gonna by no red speedo, hahahaha. Well I'm glad we won and will try to hed to the pool as often as last week but will take it more relax so I don't get anymore back aches.

Ladies: Rich and I are waiting....

FR

2007-09-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: #951904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Here it is....just remember you asked for it! Congrats on a great challenge, guys....that was fun!
2007-09-05 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey Rich,

Isn't a mentor a leader? Shouldn't you lead by example by wearing a speedo????????

I have a great idea for my picture...stay tuned.
2007-09-05 10:39 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Guys,

Kat, I think I got caught up with the new avatars and I forgot to read your post and RR about your oly on monday!! Congratulations!! You did an aesome job and great improvements!! Oh and by the way, I like your avatar.

I think our group has the best avatars so far, so don't let us down Andi!!

Now I have a question related to an Oly tri. for you guys that have done them before, so that I can begin my mental preparation. In the 3 sprint tris that I have done, they felt to me like when I run a 5k (a fast effort) which is a different kind of effort than when running lets say a half-marathon. Since doing a olympic tri requires more endurance than dong the sprint tris, I wanna know how it felt for you guys when comparing to a sprint tri? More painful? Did you take a calmer approach to the transition areas?.

Thanks,

FR
2007-09-05 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Yes, it's true.  We lost.  New avatars abound.  Oh, I am so embarrassed -- so I went with humor -- wearing my husbands Speedo!  (His idea.)

Good luck with your Oly race, Felipe!  Endurance is the key -- and that is a lot in your head.  You have what it takes to get past pain -- so I suspect you will do great.  I haven't done that distance yet, but have done 160 miles over 2 days on the bike.  You must be determined to finish...because you will suffer...what you do about it is the key.  :-)

P.S.  Now the challenge is finished; focus is on finishing our renovations. Hope to be done by Oct 1, then set a schedule for fall/winter training.

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-09-05 1:40 PM
2007-09-05 1:42 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
WOOHOO Ladies!!!  Lookin' Good!  Great job on your challenge last month.  It was a close one.  Keep up the great workouts!

2007-09-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #952568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Felipe - the big difference that I have noticed between my sprints and my two olys are that in a sprint, I feel like it's kinda blow-and-go as fast as I can.  In my olys, I've used a bit more strategy - gauging my energy expenditure so I know I have enough in the tank for the next segment.  For example, in my last sprint, when I got to the run, I was pretty willing to crank up the speed as soon as I got my legs comfortable underneath me.  I figured that even if I was running hard enough to hurt, I wouldn't be running for very long.  In my oly, I got my legs under me and then found a pace that was at the high end of my aerobic zone so I could maintain it for a longer period of time. That actually gave me a bit more comfort to have a little more fun and enjoy the scenery in the oly. Make sense?

I didn't change anything about my transitions - just continued to make them as smooth and quick as possible. Oh, and the nutrition planning for the two distances was pretty different for me.  In the oly, I used more Gu, and used gatorade instead of water on the bike.

Rich...what do you think?

2007-09-05 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
I'm really interested in this answer too, so thanks Felipe for posting the question. I'm kind of excited about my Oly coming up (holy crap it's in 3 weeks!!!). I'm definitely stronger in endurance than in speed, and I hope that benefits me in Washington DC.

My big takeaway so far in the one sprint I've done is that I can't space out and forget to take my nutrition...I did that, and if it weren't for the gaterade on my run, I would have burned out!!!
2007-09-05 8:02 PM
in reply to: #952568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Felipe's Questions:
Now I have a question related to an Oly tri. for you guys that have done them before, so that I can begin my mental preparation. In the 3 sprint tris that I have done, they felt to me like when I run a 5k (a fast effort) which is a different kind of effort than when running lets say a half-marathon. Since doing a olympic tri requires more endurance than dong the sprint tris, I wanna know how it felt for you guys when comparing to a sprint tri? More painful? Did you take a calmer approach to the transition areas?.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Felipe et al:

Good Question! The Olympic distance involves a combination of speed and endurance. With that said: "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Faster"! Make sure that everything you do is deliberate! The other thing to remember is that the purpose of the swim is to get you to the bike, the purpose of the bike is to get you to the run. The purpose of the run is to get you to the Finish Line!

Swim: Sprint first 200 yds and then calm down into a nice even pace that you can maintain proper technique/form. About 200 yds from shore, make sure you are kicking your legs real good! NOTE: When you stand up, your heart rate is going to sky-rocket! Don't panic......you also may feel a little dis-oriented or dizzy! Breath! If you feel real dizzy.....cough! (Seriously!) The coughing will bring oxygen to the brain and help rid the dizziness!

Bike: Take the first couple of kilometers to bring down your heart rate and find your cycling legs. Build your pace up to race pace and make sure to use the terrain. Guesstimate the time it will take you to do the bike course.....30 minutes prior to your anticipated finish of the bike section, take your last solid fuel/nutrition. (If you eat solids 30 minutes before you start running, you may pay for it!) The last mile, start spinning to cool down your legs a bit.......don't try to hammer into the finish of the bike leg....you will pay for it on the run! Liquids only in the last part of the bike course.

Run: This is where you want the race to come to you.......your legs may feel a little wobbly....let your legs get use to running again. This may take the first mile or so..... once you find your legs, you can slowly bring up the pace. I treat the run on the Olympic as two 5Ks and try to negatively split the 2nd 5K versus the 1st 5K.....in other words, I try to do the 2nd 5K faster than the 1st one! This means pacing. Make sure to hydrate during the run

Use the terrain to your advantage.....shorter strides going uphill, use the downhills to your advantage. About 1 Mile out, adjust everything so you look good for the big photo finish!!!! You can start gradually picking up the pace. 1/4 mile out you should have enough for a finish line kick..........1000 meters out....begin your kick!

Depending upon temperature, you may be pretty fried, but happy with the timing!

Hope this helped!
2007-09-06 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Awesome advice, Rich. THANKS.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46