BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-06-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
Debbie - what size are you?   I sent you a PM.

2009-06-24 1:27 PM

User image

Illinois

Happy, happy.  I actually ran 12 minutes today!  Not consecutively, but given that I haven't run at all since I was in college, and was slow then, I am happy.  I like training in a group quite a lot.    I also realized during our swim training exercise that indeed my kick is only there to stabilize me and that kicking only resulted in a very SLOOOOOW trip across the 25 yards at the pool.  Any suggestions for that?

I've been reviewing my training log and think I really need to put in at least a full hour of exercise everyday, excluding tennis. 

Sue

2009-06-24 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2239261

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
I think bathing suit and the tight kind of running/bike (without the pad) short should be fine if they have a draw string. The first time I swam in my tri shorts I didn't tie them tight enough and the deffinatly caused some drag... but didn't fall off ;0) Or you could throw some shorts on in transition.
2009-06-25 10:12 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Thanks for the clothing suggestions.  I think I've got it worked out.  (I'd better, because they're packed now!)

So, next crisis - Last night a realtor showed up at 8 pm to show the house.  She was supposed to be there between 6:30 and 7:30, so we were out of the house then and we'd only been back for a few minutes - just long enough to get my son ready for bed and start our frantic packing since we'd already lost a couple of hours.  Not wanting to miss an opportunity to sell the house, I quickly threw all the half-packed stuff into a closet, grabbed the kids and went out for a walk.  In the rush I forgot to put shoes on my son, so I ended up carrying him.

I guess because of the extra weight or maybe there was a rock or something in my shoe, but I ended up with a big blister on the ball of my foot.  It's not as painful today as it was last night, but it still hurts.  I'm hoping it gets better by Saturday, or it will be uncomfortable running.

Looking back on last night, it is kind of funny.  I'm hobbling around in the dark driveway holding the cordless phone with my shoulder while my husband talks me through putting the bike rack on the car.  He's got the car it usually goes on so I had to change the whole set-up to get in on my hatchback.  Finally get it on and discover I can only open the hatchback half-way with the rack there, so I had to take it off again to put the bags in the car.  At least it's all set up right now, so it should go back on easier.

Just need the blister to heal!
2009-06-25 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2240220

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
fantom8588 - 2009-06-24 2:27 PM

Happy, happy.  I actually ran 12 minutes today!  Not consecutively, but given that I haven't run at all since I was in college, and was slow then, I am happy.  I like training in a group quite a lot.    I also realized during our swim training exercise that indeed my kick is only there to stabilize me and that kicking only resulted in a very SLOOOOOW trip across the 25 yards at the pool.  Any suggestions for that?

I've been reviewing my training log and think I really need to put in at least a full hour of exercise everyday, excluding tennis. 

Sue

Try some of the small fins (I use zoomers), and do lots and lots of kicking! Its like a runner doing cadence work. do some slow sets some fast sets. maybe start with 4x50 with 15 sec. rest between. But I guess not a whole lot of tri people even kick during their swim. Personally, I do. If you really want to help it out do some kicking on your back it will strengthen the opposing muscle group.

Edited by freeflykami 2009-06-25 1:51 PM
2009-06-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2243058

User image

Illinois

Thanks, Kami.  My daughter has some of those from when she was on swim team in high school.  I'll give them a try. 

Our swim will be 25 yards instead of 50 yards.  I'd actually prefer the longer distance since it will be easier to get into a rhythm.  Maybe I will have to practice turns.

Time to head off to the bike before I have to go to work.

Sue

2009-06-25 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Good luck and have a blast! Sharie and Debbie

2009-06-25 7:52 PM

User image

New user

Hi Ladies.  I've been getting some good work outs in this week.  Finally getting back in to the swing of things.  I got my new toy...garmin forerunner 305.  I tried it out for the first time tonight.  I raced against a virtual partner for 2 miles.  She beat meYell.  I set it to go 2 miles at 12min/mile pace and it took me 12:43.  Owell, I definitely pushed myself harder watching it though.  I was already tired cause I did a full body work out at the gym with 2 cardio intervals (treadmill for 4 mins at 6.0 and stairclimber for 4 mins at 6.0).  I really like the watch, but still need to figure out how to use it.  I was hoping to get my heart rate information from it, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.  I'll have to read the book....good reading material for the 6 hour plane ride to CA this weekend.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend!

2009-06-25 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2243901

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
WOW! I can't believe it is the weekend again!

HAVE FUN RACING THIS WEEKEND!!!! 
2009-06-26 9:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-26 10:58 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
I wrote a long post and it got eaten by the cyber-monster!

Thanks to all for the support and caring!    My tri is Sunday - Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon.   Check in at 5:30AM,  first swimmers at 7:45.   At least for the lake, he starts with oldest women and then oldest men, etc.   I am thinking I will be in the water by 8am.

My dd and dh helped me practice transitions today.   I just set up a little mock transition thing and went through the shoe changes, etc.  It was super helpful and I highly recommend doing this to other newbies!

We will leave tomorrow by noon so we can get to Cheyenne for the pre-race meetings and packet pick ups.    A good friend offered us an apartment so that saves a big hotel bill!     He is actually a 2x Boston Marathoner - and big supporter of me starting to run last year -and has now decided to try to qualify for Kona!    After the meetings I will go to the bike shop and have them look over my bike.  I noticed a few strange 'bulges' in my bike tires so may have to buy a new front tire...but better that than a flat!  (Oooo...that rhymes! LOL)    

I think I have everything figured as best I can....so just say a prayer for me and I will get back with a RR asap!

Blessings!
Sharie

Edited by ranchrunner 2009-06-26 11:04 PM

2009-06-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2246821

Veteran
Northern VA
Sharie, I am sure you will do great! At least you HAVE gone through the transitions, and I hope it is just a new tube you need and not a new tire.

I did a 30 min. run this morning which went really well, I ran faster than I thought I was even after droping in breaking my water bottle. Tomorrow I have swim practice and a bike ride after with the other Tri swimmers and a new tri friend I met at my last race! Very exciting! I have been trying to get a ride in with one of these guys for the longest time! He is actually the one who got me interested in the whole thing, I really hope he can give me some pointers on the bike. 

We are leaving for the beach next friday! We are borrowing my grandma's van so we can just take one car but I don't think I'm going to be able to bring my bike :0( But there is a pool hopefully it will be big enough for some laps, or I will really have to face up to my ocean swim fear. I already asked if someone would walk the beach while I swim. it is just the whole shark/rip current thing that gets me. But I am also really thinking about doing the sandman tri in sept. and that is an ocean swim.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! 
2009-06-27 11:10 PM

2009-06-28 8:18 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Well Chris and all my other "First-Timer" friends.....I can't thank you enough for the prayers and thoughts and love and energy.   The race was awesome!    I am utterly exhausted right now though so you will have to wait for a full RR until tomorrow.....BUT....for now.....

I GOT A SILVER MEDAL in my AG!!!!!  I had tears in my eyes on the podium!!    I also met and exceeded my preset goal of finishing in 1:40.....I finished in 1:37!!!!    I haven't even taken time to look at my Garmin for splits, etc.  It has just been a whirlwind since the finish.

Thank you all!!!   I could feel you with me the entire time!!

More later....
Sharie
2009-06-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2248985

2009-06-28 8:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Wow Sharie! Way to go.

I'm very impressed.  Can't wait to hear all the details.

LadyNorth

2009-06-29 7:59 AM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
CONGRATULATIONS TRIATHLETE!!!!!

Wow Sherie a silver medal is great!

Can't wait to read your race report
2009-06-29 8:47 AM

Master
It wasn't pretty, but I did it!  Race report is here.

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day on the lake and I spent it outside with the kids.  I hated leaving last night, but I'm going back for another long weekend Thursday night, so just a few days by myself.

Congrats to everyone else who raced over the weekend.  I've got to catch up on all the race reports.
2009-06-29 9:15 AM

Master
Congrats Sharie on the medal!  That's awesome!
2009-06-29 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2248985

Veteran
Northern VA
WOW! You ROCK! 1st Tri and on the podium!
2009-06-29 2:42 PM

Expert
Missouri

Hey ladies.  I've been offline most of the past week so I'm a little behind on what's going on, but I did see that Shari did GREAT on her first tri!  Congrats on the AG placement!  I'll try to catch up with the rest later tonight or tomorrow. 

I took last week off work (the reason I wasn't online much) and got some training in.  Not as much as I would have liked - I had an issue with my back early in the week that kept me from doing too much.  So I decided to take that time to go by the LBS and talk to them about road bikes.  My husband has OK'd me buying one and says that if I'm going to do it, I should get a decent one and not one from Wal-Mart or someplace like that.  I spent about half an hour talking to the guy there about the different brands and the components that come with each.  I didn't realize that on "real" bikes, the brakes and gear changers were all part of the same system Embarassed - learned something new.  He estimated that I would probably need either a 54 or 56 based on my height, but the only way to know for sure was to test ride some of the bikes and see which one fits me best (that part I knew Smile).  So hopefully next week some time I can get in and test ride some and see what I like. 

Hope everyone is having a good week!
Janet

2009-06-29 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2249688

Illinois

Debbie,

Fun reading your race report, especially about the bikes making fun of your ride.  However, it's such a nice generous crowd, surely that would never happen. 

I'll keep your can-do attitude in mind when I do my race.

Sue

2009-06-29 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2249688

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
serendipity - 2009-06-29 8:47 AM It wasn't pretty, but I did it!  Race report is here.

Congrats Debbie

You had 18 people finish behind you - I think that's great for a 1st tri.
Great you could sprint at the end.

I feel for you with swimming issues.  I've been swimming in a pool and swam in a lake for the 1st time last week.  It was way hard - a lot of mental issues.  I think it just takes a lot of ows practice to get over that stuff.

Denise
2009-06-30 4:48 AM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Congrats Debbie!!!!! off to read the race report
2009-06-30 12:39 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Here is the link to my race report.  It takes quite some time to write it up!  Or maybe it is just because I am so wordy!!

my race report
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36