BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-07-27 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3004971

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
OneFastMule - 2010-07-26 1:31 PM

I guess the last question is what are your goals?  Why are you doing it in the 1st place?  Until the HIM, my goal was always to improve my health, reduce my stress, improve my nutrition and feel better in general.  The tris (sprints primarily) was my motivator for reaching those goals.  But that changed with the HIM... somewhere around Sept of last year...  my goal became the HIM itself, as prepping for the sprints was plenty for achieving the health-related goals.  And I found that making time for the training was a real challenge (and I still didn't train enough).  That's all fine... until the HIM was over... and all of a sudden, I lost both my goal and my motivation.  This caught me by surprise and I've kind of had to regroup about the "whys" since then, regain my balance and priorities.  Still working that through, actually :-)

Stu,

I have the same concern.  This is my first year and the events (as well as this group!) have definitely been the source of my motivation and I'm concerned about what will happen after my last scheduled race in 3 weeks. 

I can already sense the same feeling I had as a kid on 12/26...  All of the anticipation and excitement of the holidays was gone and I all that I was left with was a house that needed cleaning... :-)

My goals for this year were weight / health related and (based on the constant compliments) I have definitely achieved them.  I'm looking for another fall race to extend the season a little longer, but it won't be too long before the lakes ice over... 

Does anyone have any advice for transitioning out of the race season while maintaining focus?

Thanks,
Mark

First off, if you are feeling the slightest bit burnt out, and maybe even if you aren't, after your last race of the season, you should take some time off (3-4 weeks seems to work for me) from 'formal' (planned, goal-oriented) training, and even try to do some things that aren't your usual forms of training, such as go mountain biking instead of the road, or kayaking, or whatever it is you like to do that will keep you active and fit but at the same time giving you a break.  First and foremost, have fun.

Then, during the off season, before any formal race-oriented training plans kick in, as Randy said, there are lots of things you could do.  Last winter I was somewhat focused (relative to what I had done before!) on the swim, trying to ramp up volume without reinjuring my shoulder.  I also signed up for a spring half marathon mostly to keep me honest about the run.  And I did Jorge's winter bike plan on the trainer.  These things gave me focus that was not aimed at a specific triathlon race, but put in in good shape to embark on a training plan once it was time.

2010-07-27 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3004971

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Stu,

I have the same concern.  This is my first year and the events (as well as this group!) have definitely been the source of my motivation and I'm concerned about what will happen after my last scheduled race in 3 weeks. 

I can already sense the same feeling I had as a kid on 12/26...  All of the anticipation and excitement of the holidays was gone and I all that I was left with was a house that needed cleaning... :-)

My goals for this year were weight / health related and (based on the constant compliments) I have definitely achieved them.  I'm looking for another fall race to extend the season a little longer, but it won't be too long before the lakes ice over... 

Does anyone have any advice for transitioning out of the race season while maintaining focus?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

We'll keep tabs on each other over the winter ;-)

I'll share two insights from my experience which have absolutely no foundation in theory, JMO.  Looking back on last winter, I did one smart thing and made one "mistake".  My smart thing was signing up for a 1/2 marathon in Nov.  This extended my training season (and motivation) by about 40 days and I think it was one (if not the main) reason why my running improved so much this spring. 

My "mistake" was not taking a mental break... I pretty much tried to go all of 2009-2010 until the HIM without giving myself a little time off and so, when the HIM was done, I was done.  I still remember vividly that last 4 mile lap on the run when literally all I could think about was getting off the pavement and I didn't care (at that moment) if I ever did a triathlon again.  I think part of that was preparation, but part was also my head saying take a break.  Now, based on my experience these last two weeks, I probably took a little too much time off and didn't do some other type of physical something during that time... but I definitely feel refreshed and looking forward to both training and the next race after that time away.  

btw, the reason I have "mistake" in quotes is that I'm also pretty sure that if I had taken a break, say, over the holidays for a month, I might not have done the HIM.  So it is only a mistake in that I had a motivational lapse... in the greater scheme of things... it may have been just right :-)  But I think I could pace things a little better going forward.

Stu
2010-07-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Back from a great long weekend in Asheville, NC.  I managed to get a good ride in.  I took a wrong turn (it was 4:30am and pitch black out!) and wound up climbing Mt. Pisgah rather than Mt. Mitchell!  I didn't realize my mistake until, after about 90 minutes of climbing, I realized that the ride to Mt. Mitchell actually does have some significant downhill portions.  The climb on Pisgah doesn't really.  It's just climb, climb, climb to the top.  The roads are also less twisty, but no less steep (steeper in fact), so I absolutely flew down, at one point hitting over 56mph.  I don't think I'd care to go much faster than that on a bike.

A couple of memorable pics from the ride (the second one taken back at the house while reviewing the data on the bike computer):

2010-07-27 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Trying to get into back into the groove training this week. Life has been really crazy. Hopefully it's settling down.

Had a good workout this morning. Went to a cycling class because the weather was crappy. I was with my wife and we only have 1 trainer so we went to the Y. After the class I slipped on my running shoes and ran a mile. The time........drum roll please..........8:42! Freakin 8:42! Fastest mile time yet. Pushing it the last couple weeks has really helped the time. It was not 8:42 for 4 miles, but it gives me hope that it's possible.

Question about HR training. If anyone knows anything about HR training......I don't know, say Michael. LOL I have not use my HR monitor for training in a good month. Doing the 8:42 mile my HR was around 82-84 percent. 3-4 months ago  82-84 got me between 10-11 minute mile. Doing the 8:42 today just seemed harder at the same HR. Is it a matter of just getting use to running faster? Is it another case of cardio being ahead of musculoskeletal?

Phil

2010-07-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3007861

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-27 2:43 PM Trying to get into back into the groove training this week. Life has been really crazy. Hopefully it's settling down.

Had a good workout this morning. Went to a cycling class because the weather was crappy. I was with my wife and we only have 1 trainer so we went to the Y. After the class I slipped on my running shoes and ran a mile. The time........drum roll please..........8:42! Freakin 8:42! Fastest mile time yet. Pushing it the last couple weeks has really helped the time. It was not 8:42 for 4 miles, but it gives me hope that it's possible.

Question about HR training. If anyone knows anything about HR training......I don't know, say Michael. LOL I have not use my HR monitor for training in a good month. Doing the 8:42 mile my HR was around 82-84 percent. 3-4 months ago  82-84 got me between 10-11 minute mile. Doing the 8:42 today just seemed harder at the same HR. Is it a matter of just getting use to running faster? Is it another case of cardio being ahead of musculoskeletal?

Phil

Nice!

To answer your question:  It's likely the bolded part, compounded by the fact that this was a brick run, so it will naturally feel harder.  The pounding can also be (but isn't necessarily) harder when you run faster. 

The fact that you are running faster at the same HR is good news in any case.  Your legs will get used to running faster, and yes you should be able to extend that, over time, to longer distances.

Another factor may be that even though you biked before this run, still it is entirely possible that your HR didn't have enough time to get all the way up where it would have if you had maintained that effort.  After all, it was all over in (drumroll please)..... 8:42!

Finally, bear in mind that HR and RPE can sometimes come disjointed.  This can happen for a lot of reasons, including heat, nutrition/hydration, and duration of exercise.
2010-07-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3007930

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2010-07-27 2:02 PM
StlPhil - 2010-07-27 2:43 PM Trying to get into back into the groove training this week. Life has been really crazy. Hopefully it's settling down.

Phil

Nice!

To answer your question:  It's likely the bolded part, compounded by the fact that this was a brick run, so it will naturally feel harder.  The pounding can also be (but isn't necessarily) harder when you run faster. 

The fact that you are running faster at the same HR is good news in any case.  Your legs will get used to running faster, and yes you should be able to extend that, over time, to longer distances.

Another factor may be that even though you biked before this run, still it is entirely possible that your HR didn't have enough time to get all the way up where it would have if you had maintained that effort.  After all, it was all over in (drumroll please)..... 8:42!

Finally, bear in mind that HR and RPE can sometimes come disjointed.  This can happen for a lot of reasons, including heat, nutrition/hydration, and duration of exercise.

Thank you sensei. : ) Dopey me, it would seem harder. After all I did the run after a spinning class. Doh! Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Also, the HR was probably a lagging indicator. I don't know if I could have kept that up for another mile or two. However, it did feel great knowing there is still some more speed in these legs.

Phil

2010-07-27 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3007861

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2010-07-27 2:43 PM

Phil

Seriously?  8:42?  AFTER biking?  Woah Phil... I have been away awhile... WTG!
2010-07-27 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3007679

User image

Expert
Experior - 2010-07-27 1:46 PM The roads are also less twisty, but no less steep (steeper in fact), so I absolutely flew down, at one point hitting over 56mph.  I don't think I'd care to go much faster than that on a bike.

A couple of memorable pics from the ride (the second one taken back at the house while reviewing the data on the bike computer):

56mph?  Good God man, are you looking for more injuries (pretty cool though).  Sweet pictures :-)
2010-07-29 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Hello folks, what's happening? got very quiet.  Everyone preping for races this weekend.

My week started a little slow for training but picking up, week is not over yet.  Did my fastest 4 mile tempo run today at 8min/mile, I actualy dropped to 7min/mile for last quarter mile to feel a little pain.  Need to prep my mind, my races are coming up quick, only 16 days away for my first sprint.

Today I picked up some bungee laces and BIB belt. 

Well, I'm on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, not going far so I'll still be getting my training in. 

Good luck to all racers.
Sylvain

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-29 10:37 PM
2010-07-30 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Nope, not preparing for races.  I'm preparing for the return of my long lost wife (who has been in job training in the northeast for the past month).  Hurrah!
2010-07-30 12:01 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

No races in the near future here. Trying to keep up with training.  Heat index has been consistently in the 110-115 degree zone down here.  Not so bad for the bike as I do 80% in the garage on rollers with a big fan.  BUT, the running has been brutal even in the late afternoon/evening.  Training plan through Sunday: earlier today-2750 swim (gave me a little over 30K yards for July) 4 mile easy run tonight. 30-40 miles hard on the bike on the roads early tomorrow morning with 2 mile run immediately after.  8 mile easy run early Sunday and maybe a short "recovery" swim Sunday afternoon. Hoping to stay injury free through the rest of the year so I can try to continue to build on current training. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Randy

2010-07-31 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Felt pretty good about my workouts this week and the forecast is slightly cooler, so decided to sign up for Culpeper Sprint on Sunday kind of last minute.  I've done it the last two years and am interested to see how I compare vs. same course, but will probably use it as more of a hard workout than a race.   I looked back at last year's training times / distances and I'm not too far off, so what the heck.  But next likely race is in Oct, so a little motivational theory too.

Timing is everything though as about 5 hours after I signed up, two large trees came crashing down in our driveway thanks to a thunderstorm, so I'll be spending a good chunk of this weekend on clean-up.  Fortunately, no real damage other than a few dings on our 200K Camry (had it been parked 3 ft to the right, it would have been a goner).

Have a great weekend everyone... especially you Michael... that's a long time to be a single parent.  My BIL is doing Steelhead HIM today.  So good luck to him and any other weekend racers!  I'll have a race report on Monday.

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-07-31 6:25 AM
2010-07-31 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Michael,

It slipped my mind that you had an Adamo saddle. Thanks for the tip. I went for a 30 mile ride to day and the saddle is GREAT. All the little acches and pains I was having in my lower back and neck while riding have disappeared. Plus, Mr. Happy is happy again. LOL The hand numbness was better today. I really concentrated on keeping my weight back on the saddle. It helped.

BTW, had my first flat riding today. Boy, it took me a few minutes to figure out the CO2 cannister. I felt like a dope, but finally figured it out. I think a 10 min tire change is pretty good for the first time. Unless everyone starts posting "I can change a flat in 30 sec!"

Phil
2010-08-01 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stu,

Looking forward to hearing about the race!

I managed my first long run on the road today.  I kept the pace easy, but was still wasted at the end.  Although pool running did a lot to maintain some run fitness for me, run 'toughness' is another matter.  Even though temps were 'only' mid 90s (10 degrees cooler than it HAS been!), I was really suffering after about 5 miles.  The good news:  I made it back alive, with not hop soreness.  I think I can finally wave goodbye to pool running...  Hurrah!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I'm enjoying family time today.
2010-08-01 5:45 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-glad to hear your running is moving on to dry land.  Worried you were going to develop web feet with all that time in the pool.

Good training week for me. Hope it will continue through August.

Randy 

2010-08-01 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Hi Everyone,

Just returned from the Dakota's.  Had a great time.  Got some decent running in and at least one swim each week - Mile Continuous Swim each time but a swim none the less.  It was very hot and humid in South Dakota and had some tough runs.

I will be gearing up this Month of August for three races in Sept.  Sprint on the 4th (a repeat of my last race; different race name but same course); a Sprint on the 11th (need this additional Sprint to see if I can get a ranking for Tri Northwest in Sprint Distance); Olympic on the 26th which will be my Final Tri of the season.  Then I'll be preparing for a Half-Marathon in Late October.

I have some catching up to do with what has been happening.  Talk with you soon.

Brian 

2010-08-01 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys!
My first tri of the season is a week from today!
I'm nervous about the run- it's long (for me) and has about 3 miles of uphill.
The bike will be slow, but my hill climbing is better this year than it was last year wehn I did this race.

Last week was a tough week for me. My sister and her family were in town from Texas. So, I chose to go light on training to spend time with them.

Plus, I was out of work all last week (for very political reasons)- waiting to hear if I would still have a job. I got a call on Friday at 4 PM, that all allegations against me were unsubstantiated and I can return to work tomorrow AM. But, man the sword of Damacles is hanging over my head, and it isnt fun.

Planning to bike to work tomorrow- hoping it puts me in a good frame of mind for the day I'm sure to be facing.
2010-08-01 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Sounds like everyone is having some good workouts. 
Michael welcome back to land.
Heidi hope all is good for you tomorrow.
Nice ride Phil, glad to hear your pain is gone.  I'm currently experiencing numbness with both my feet/toes.  I don't have a good saddle, will get better one next year. 

Picked up a cheap bike pump yesterday and pumped my tires to 120psi.  Thought the cheap pump would have given me some trouble but worked extremely well.  I was impressed.

I did a brick today, 60 minute bike on very hilly course and 30 minute run.  I pushed the bike portion and did 20 minute run at race pace, then cool down for last 10 minutes.  I didn't get any cramping on the run untill after 15 minutes into it which is good, that means my threshold is climbing.  Well it better I've been putting in the mileage. 

Took the girls to the beach on Lake Ontario today, same lake I'm doing Try on Aug 15.  Water was very rough, I hope it won't be the same on race day otherwise it will make for a tough swim.

Sylvain
2010-08-01 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Good to hear from everyone today.  WB Brian.  WB to land Michael.  WB to racing Heidi.

I had a really good race this morning.  Was 10 seconds faster than last year which was a pleasant surprise given the general lack of training and all the yard work yesterday.  6/17 in the Master Clydesdales.  Anyway, you can read all about it in my race report.  Best part was that I was excited to be back out there again and determined to be mentally tougher.  Improved the transitions and fought through a difficult run.   Now I have 8 weeks until the OLY with a couple of 10K bones thrown in to keep me motivated.

Sorry this is short, but I'm bushed and need to get a good start on the day tomorrow.  Keep up the great training everyone!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-08-01 9:56 PM
2010-08-01 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3017368

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
sstucker - 2010-08-01 9:17 PM
Nice ride Phil, glad to hear your pain is gone.  I'm currently experiencing numbness with both my feet/toes.  I don't have a good saddle, will get better one next year. 
Sylvain

I hate to sound like a shill for Adamo, but I am amazed by the difference their saddle makes. They suggest you keep it under 30 miles for the first week because of the potential for pain in the "sit bones" area, but I've had very little sorness so far. I thought a lot of the problems I was having was just not enough seat time. With the new saddle I felt like I could do double the distance.

I got the "Typhoon" on ebay for $84. I wish I would have got the "Road" model. The Road model is leather and the Typhoon is Lycra. I'm not sure how the Lycra will hold up over the long haul.

Phil
2010-08-02 2:45 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stu-good job! Enjoyed the race report. You'll be ready for the Olympic Distance.

Randy

2010-08-02 5:19 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hello everyone, briefly, from my parents' house.  I was planning to catch up with everyone tonight, but my internet is out at home.  I had the most amazing AT&Texperience this afternoon -- they actually were helpful, and reasonably efficient.  So I'm hopeful it'll e fixed soon.

Anyway, I'll have a closer look at everyone's posts (especially Stu's RR!) at work tomorrow.  Until then, have a good evening.
2010-08-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3015514

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-31 10:51 AM Michael,

It slipped my mind that you had an Adamo saddle. Thanks for the tip. I went for a 30 mile ride to day and the saddle is GREAT. All the little acches and pains I was having in my lower back and neck while riding have disappeared. Plus, Mr. Happy is happy again. LOL The hand numbness was better today. I really concentrated on keeping my weight back on the saddle. It helped.

BTW, had my first flat riding today. Boy, it took me a few minutes to figure out the CO2 cannister. I felt like a dope, but finally figured it out. I think a 10 min tire change is pretty good for the first time. Unless everyone starts posting "I can change a flat in 30 sec!"

Phil

Just in case you didn't figure this out:  the flow of CO2 from the canister can be slowed or stopped by slightly unscrewing the inflator.  This has saved me a couple of times... 
2010-08-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3017029

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-08-01 6:49 PM Hi Everyone,

Just returned from the Dakota's.  Had a great time.  Got some decent running in and at least one swim each week - Mile Continuous Swim each time but a swim none the less.  It was very hot and humid in South Dakota and had some tough runs.

I will be gearing up this Month of August for three races in Sept.  Sprint on the 4th (a repeat of my last race; different race name but same course); a Sprint on the 11th (need this additional Sprint to see if I can get a ranking for Tri Northwest in Sprint Distance); Olympic on the 26th which will be my Final Tri of the season.  Then I'll be preparing for a Half-Marathon in Late October.

I have some catching up to do with what has been happening.  Talk with you soon.

Brian 

Big race schedule coming up! 
2010-08-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3017137

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-08-01 8:03 PM Hey guys!
My first tri of the season is a week from today!
I'm nervous about the run- it's long (for me) and has about 3 miles of uphill.
The bike will be slow, but my hill climbing is better this year than it was last year wehn I did this race.

Last week was a tough week for me. My sister and her family were in town from Texas. So, I chose to go light on training to spend time with them.

Plus, I was out of work all last week (for very political reasons)- waiting to hear if I would still have a job. I got a call on Friday at 4 PM, that all allegations against me were unsubstantiated and I can return to work tomorrow AM. But, man the sword of Damacles is hanging over my head, and it isnt fun.

Planning to bike to work tomorrow- hoping it puts me in a good frame of mind for the day I'm sure to be facing.

Sorry about your tough week at work.  But really, didn't we tell you to stop torturing baby birds at work???

Best of luck in your race next Sunday!  Those are interesting distances.  My kind of race -- short swim and longer bike and run!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40