BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-03-07 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3386978

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
croixfan - 2011-03-07 3:45 PM
itziaol - 2011-03-07 1:24 PM

croixfan - 2011-03-07 6:11 AM x2 on the new pic!

Thank you Curt!  This is good for my self esteem.  LOL  Still blushing…

Need pics of the blushing as well!And when are we going to see the new road bike?

Of course not!  LOL  I wish that was something I could avoid doing...  Embarassed

The new road bike will be here on 15th March.  So I'll see it on the 16th when I come back from the US.

2011-03-07 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Got back in the pool this PM and did another 1000 yards non-stop -- wanted to prove to myself that Friday was not a fluke!  Took it really easy / time was a bit slower (31:23), but felt great / was almost like walking.  Did not feel like I had good balance in the water.  Was not fighting it, but not gliding / floating comfortably.  Going to talk to the swim coordinator at the Y tomorrow about getting in to the masters program -- hate to give up my AM sleep!!!!
2011-03-08 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I'm doing my swim TT tomorrow. Today was an hour on the elliptical machine in place of any running.

Bike needs to go to the shop. Spoke to my guy @ the LBS, and he was quite concerned about what happened w/ the cable, and wants to be sure the derailleur is not messed up, so thats on the agenda for tomorrow as well.

2011-03-08 6:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Mike I hope it all goes well with your bike.  About your foot, time flies and you’ll be as good as new soon.

Good job Alex!

Curt, it seems you’ll have to go to sleep earlier.

I’m buying some gear (birthday presents  Smile) so I need to ask you.  Is it worth it to spend money on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1299387653&sr=1-3

or should I settle for this?

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1299387835&sr=1-10

I’m buying these shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-TRI-Fly-III/dp/B002L6HB4Y/ref=sr_1_60?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1299370137&sr=1-60

Are these the pedals I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-6700-Ultegra-SPD-SL-Pedal/dp/B002J997EU/ref=sr_1_6?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1299568006&sr=1-6

Or these?

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A600-Ultegra-SPD-SL-Pedals/dp/B003N3RUFY/ref=sr_1_11?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1299568833&sr=1-11

Sorry to pick your brains.  Thanks and have a lovely day!  Laughing

2011-03-08 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Itzia -- All I've heard is that the Garmin 305 is the way to go.  It's suppose to do everything you need.  Only drawback is the size / not the most stylish.  Other option would be the Garmin 405 or 110.  Believe both have good reviews as well.  Do a search on "DC Rainmaker" on google and you can see extensive reviews on these.

Regarding the shoes, I'd pay for the best you can afford.  Fact is you will not actually use them that many hours / they'll last for years so you can look at them as an investment.

On the pedals, I initially had some SPDs.  They were fine.  When I got my new bike, the ship recommended the Keo Look pedals.  They are really nice / have a wider base.  Believe both SPD and Keo's have strong followings.

One thing I have found over time in general is to buy really high quality equipment.  I've got "good stuff" for fishing, golf and triathlons and have never regretted it.  Conversly when I have bought lower $ items / lesser quality have had problems and frustrations.

Oh, and happy birthday to you!!!!  Best fun on a b-day is often spending the gift certificates on new toys.

2011-03-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3389245

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
croixfan - 2011-03-08 7:24 PM

Itzia -- All I've heard is that the Garmin 305 is the way to go.  It's suppose to do everything you need.  Only drawback is the size / not the most stylish.  Other option would be the Garmin 405 or 110.  Believe both have good reviews as well.  Do a search on "DC Rainmaker" on google and you can see extensive reviews on these.

Regarding the shoes, I'd pay for the best you can afford.  Fact is you will not actually use them that many hours / they'll last for years so you can look at them as an investment.

On the pedals, I initially had some SPDs.  They were fine.  When I got my new bike, the ship recommended the Keo Look pedals.  They are really nice / have a wider base.  Believe both SPD and Keo's have strong followings.

One thing I have found over time in general is to buy really high quality equipment.  I've got "good stuff" for fishing, golf and triathlons and have never regretted it.  Conversly when I have bought lower $ items / lesser quality have had problems and frustrations.

Oh, and happy birthday to you!!!!  Best fun on a b-day is often spending the gift certificates on new toys.

Thank you so much Curt!!  You were just in time.  I was about to place my order when I saw your post and I changed it. 

Yes... it will feel like Christmas on Friday when I get all this stuff.  Laughing

Enjoy your early swim!

Good night everybody!

2011-03-08 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3389317

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
itziaol - 2011-03-08 9:15 PM
croixfan - 2011-03-08 7:24 PM

Thank you so much Curt!!  You were just in time.  I was about to place my order when I saw your post and I changed it. 

Yes... it will feel like Christmas on Friday when I get all this stuff.  Laughing

Enjoy your early swim!

Good night everybody!

I agree with Curt on the Garmin and the Keo Looks.  I have both and like them a lot.  The pedals are adjustable, so if you are a bit nervous about locking in, it's very easy to get out.  And he is correct with skipping on tri stuff.  The ultimate key is finding something you like and sticking with it.  

I am glad you are having fun with your shopping spree.  You are going to be ready to go this season. 
2011-03-09 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I'm curious about the Garmin as well. Does anyone have an opionion on the 305 (if you can find one) vs other Garmin models?

Back to swim lessons for me as well. the past couple weeks have been a dissapointment with my pool time, and I need help. I've made some big strides forward since November, but guess March is my step back time, but I plan to come out stronger. May punt on the HIM idea until next year, and this year do a few sprints, and an Oly or two.

2011-03-09 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3389860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Mike -- You need to check out DC Rainmakers blog.  He's got full reviews on all of the GPS watches.  If memory serves me right, the 305 is considered to be a great tool and very economical (places still have them / are running clearances).  Believe it may have issues with not being exceptionally waterproof.  Personally, I'd get a 310 if it wasn't so honking big!!!

And don't sweat the HIM.  Put in a good solid year and build the base some more.  Plenty of time to do the HIM next year.

Edited by croixfan 2011-03-09 12:14 PM
2011-03-09 12:22 PM

User image

Athens, GA

I am curious about the Garmin's as well. $350+ to spend on a "watch" seems like a lot. and with my luck I would lose it.

So last night I went to Sheila Taormina’s swim clinic.  (she is a freak, in a good way, the first/only female athlete in history to qualify for four Olympics in three different sports, also in USAT hall of fame first class).  I liked it a lot. 1.5 hours were in the classroom, then 30m or so on the deck with tubing about form then the rest in the pool. We got her book, the tubes for dry land workouts and she brought her Olympic gold medal, so we could all see/touch it. I liked her philosophy, that there are no quick fixes and that it is just a matter of putting in the time and being aware of the environment you are in. 

2011-03-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3390303

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

I use the 305 for about more than a year now.

At the beginning, it was just a gadget than something else. I didn't used the HR strap, i was just fooling around... cool stuff to record your race

THEN, I met my coach, she assigned me some specific exercises for the run, and I open the user guide and that was it !

I was able to prepare all my workout, intervals, hills, speed works, 10/1 run, etc. in advance, load them on the watch and then, just let my brain at home, hit the tarmac and just follow what the 305 was telling me

Going too strong with your HR, 305 will tell you. Going too easy, same. Have to increase speed, same, have to walk, same, have to crush it, same And then, you are able to download them on your computer to check. In my case, I send my datas to my coach and she's able to check that I followed what she asked me to do. No cheats

If I had too, today, I would have choose the 310 over the 305 because of the wattage not available on the 305 and the "waterproof capacity" of the 305. But for the price, go with the 305 !

Hope that'll helps

ps: just received my wetsuits, tried it and can't wait now !!!!!

2011-03-09 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Last night I ordered a Garmin 305 for USD 127.99 from Amazon.  It seems like a good deal.  Just got word that it’s already been shipped with other goodies!    I can’t wait to get to my hotel tomorrow.  We sound like kids with new toys.  LOL

2011-03-09 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Hey everyone,

Sorry I have been away for so long.. got sick earlier in Feb and now work is kicking my a$$.  Looks like you are all doing well with training and events.  Keep up the good work.

2011-03-09 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!!!!
2011-03-09 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3390994

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

croixfan - 2011-03-09 6:38 PM Only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!!!!

What about women and girls Curt?  Wink 

2011-03-10 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3391228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
itziaol - 2011-03-09 10:43 PM

croixfan - 2011-03-09 6:38 PM Only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!!!!

What about women and girls Curt?  Wink 

Much too wise of a man as to make any generic comments about the fairer sex!  Did so in my younger days and it never turned out well.  You're all saints and NEVER spend any money.

2011-03-10 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

That's one of the advantages of maturity Curt.  Wink  I used to be appreciated for being low maintenance, but I am afraid that was before I started thinking of doing tris.  LOL

I'm on your side of the border now.  Have a great day!

2011-03-11 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Welcome north, Itzia! . Quite the haul of new toys you have!

Been doing some bike trainer riding as I'm in truly awful bike shape. One obvious thing is I need a better set up for doing this. Right now, the bike is in my creepy field stone basement with no TV, etc. Just me staring at rocks & cement, and listening to an iPod. I may be investing in a small TV & DVD player to put down there so its not such a torture chamber . I am liking the bike, and can't wait to get back on the road. One ride on Sunday was a tease.

The foot thing has been an interesting happening. While its no fun being injured, there appear to be as many theories/suggestions on how best to deal with it as there are folks giving opinions. I'm happy to say I'm feeling better, and will continue my ice/Advil/stretch routine, as it appears to be working. My thought lately have been around how do i start back up, and overcoming the mental aspects of being worried about reinjuring myself. I just want to run, thats all. I don't need much

2011-03-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3393171

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Mike_D - 2011-03-11 6:55 AM

Welcome north, Itzia! . Quite the haul of new toys you have!

Been doing some bike trainer riding as I'm in truly awful bike shape. One obvious thing is I need a better set up for doing this. Right now, the bike is in my creepy field stone basement with no TV, etc. Just me staring at rocks & cement, and listening to an iPod. I may be investing in a small TV & DVD player to put down there so its not such a torture chamber . I am liking the bike, and can't wait to get back on the road. One ride on Sunday was a tease.

The foot thing has been an interesting happening. While its no fun being injured, there appear to be as many theories/suggestions on how best to deal with it as there are folks giving opinions. I'm happy to say I'm feeling better, and will continue my ice/Advil/stretch routine, as it appears to be working. My thought lately have been around how do i start back up, and overcoming the mental aspects of being worried about reinjuring myself. I just want to run, thats all. I don't need much

Your basement sounds a little Silence of the Lambs to me.

I have been reading some of the suggestions to your question in the other thread.  As you know, you will get many, many opinions.  Sounds like it is getting much better, which is a great sign.  Don't count out some of your races this season yet.  Wait until the weather warms up, you will be out and back into the swing of things a lot quicker than you think. 
2011-03-12 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3390978

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
otisbrown - 2011-03-09 7:23 PM

Hey everyone,

Sorry I have been away for so long.. got sick earlier in Feb and now work is kicking my a$$.  Looks like you are all doing well with training and events.  Keep up the good work.

No worries.  Most of us are in the same boat.  What I tell everyone is that we don't do triathlons for a living, so it's down there on the priority list.  Do what you can, when you can.  Glad you are feeling better.

2011-03-12 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

did a decent swim this AM, but still need some help. Hopefully this week - should hear back from the instructor about times, etc soon.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm taking the bike back out on the road. can't wait.

Foot feels great the past couple of days with only occasional irritation. While I want to go run, I'm holding off for another week per the doc, and I think it makes sense to rest it and heal properly.

Silence of the lambs is about right, minus the prison cell bars and cannibals.

2011-03-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3394846

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Mike_D - 2011-03-12 11:07 AM

did a decent swim this AM, but still need some help. Hopefully this week - should hear back from the instructor about times, etc soon.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm taking the bike back out on the road. can't wait.

Foot feels great the past couple of days with only occasional irritation. While I want to go run, I'm holding off for another week per the doc, and I think it makes sense to rest it and heal properly.

This time of year is the worst time to ride outside - major potholes from the plows, lots of sand that hasn't be cleaned up, and drivers aren't used to sharing the road again.  Be careful.  Especially the potholes, they can sneak up on you.

I am off to Denver/Vail tomorrow for work.  Still haven't gotten my butt in gear, but looking for some big changes when I get back next week.  Work and training wise.  Have a great rest of the weekend.  

Who has the 1st tri of the season?  My schedule 1st one is mother's day.

2011-03-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3395085

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Boston Beginner - 2011-03-12 4:29 PM
Mike_D - 2011-03-12 11:07 AM

This time of year is the worst time to ride outside - major potholes from the plows, lots of sand that hasn't be cleaned up, and drivers aren't used to sharing the road again.  Be careful.  Especially the potholes, they can sneak up on you.

I am off to Denver/Vail tomorrow for work.  Still haven't gotten my butt in gear, but looking for some big changes when I get back next week.  Work and training wise.  Have a great rest of the weekend.  

Who has the 1st tri of the season?  My schedule 1st one is mother's day.

Hopkinton, by any chance? I was all set to do it, but there's zero chance I could pull this off on Mothers Day. What are the magic words to make that  it happen, oh wise one?

If I go tomorrow, I'm staying very local on some roads I've scoped out for potholes, etc. Nothing too crazy. Just want to get some real riding in, and also want to wear the new Pearl Izumi bike jacket I picked up @ REI today

2011-03-12 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Hoping to get back in the swing of things tomorrow / next week.  While I'd planned on a couple of easy weeks, think I've gone a bit overboard.  To make it worse, have been eating WAY too much.

2011-03-14 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Curt - you need a race! after all that work, you need to get out there and use it! And eating too much is always (fun) and easy to do. Im thinking I've been bellying up to the fridge a bit too much as well, and its showing, particularly without any running going on.

My bike is coming along, and today I felt like I could have kept going much longer had that "Need to go to work" thing not been in the way. Did 45 min on the trainer in the Silence of the Lambs bike dungeon (my basement - I'll post a pic ).

Foot is still iffy. Spent much of saturday out & about, doing lots of walking. Yesterday it was sore all day. I had to get some new clothes Saturday, and when I arrived home, I realized half of what I bought was either spandex, lycra, or polyester, and definitely not work related

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38