BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2011-02-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3349096

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)
Tripopo - 2011-02-10 1:50 PM Work has been a bit rough the last few days so sorry haven't been on but I had a question about heart rates and heart rate training, how do you determine your zones, how much "stock" to put in it etc.  any advice or location to go to learn would be helpful

Friel's triathlete training bible is great for HR zone setting. He also has a blog:
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/

For bike and run I find the HR really helpful to keep me in check.

2011-02-11 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3349727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Dirk- hate to hear that.  Best advice I've got for you:
1. Get a 4-wheeler with snow plow attachment. 
2. Get on that pig and hold on tight!

2011-02-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3350909

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I was planning to bump the bike a bit but I haven't had the time this week to get the extra bike in.  I even had a little bit of a  problem getting my 9 mile run in today.  We had to get ne w cable installed in our house and it took longer than I thought it might, then they forgot a wireless router and had to bring it to us later.   I barely got done and the showed up at the house with the router.

I am going to take one more week away from the swim and see how my shoulder feels.  I am taking ibuprofen to keep the inflammation down and see if that helps things as well.  By the end of next week I should have a good idea how to proceed with my injury and go from there. 

J, If it looks like I will need more time healing I will get on the bike focus more intensely, I think my run is pretty decent. If I get my bike up some from last year I might be able to podium a small race or two. 

2011-02-11 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3256440

User image

I was going to suggest the bike...since your run is probably still strong from your marathon training.  But then I remembered the pictures of you in the snow with frozen eye lashes...and didn't want to rub it in if you couldn't get on your bike...
2011-02-11 7:43 PM

User image

Tri808
You and Dirk were talking a couple of days ago about weight training.  I was wondering, I was also trying to loose weight and get faster.  Should I stop weight training and concentrate on everytthing else until I get down to the weight I want to be?  I am about 175 and would like to be at atleast 165 by my half marathon.

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. "
John Wooden

Edited by mparson76 2011-02-11 7:44 PM
2011-02-11 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3351344

User image

mparson76 - 2011-02-11 2:43 PM Tri808
You and Dirk were talking a couple of days ago about weight training.  I was wondering, I was also trying to loose weight and get faster.  Should I stop weight training and concentrate on everytthing else until I get down to the weight I want to be?  I am about 175 and would like to be at atleast 165 by my half marathon.

John Wooden

I'm far from an expert on this topic...but IMO you don't need to do any weight training for running or triathlons.  If anything...stick to pushups, body weight squats/lunges, and balance/bosu ball exercises.

Another option is to alter your s/b/r training to incorporate more resistance.  Use paddles or pull buoy drills to incorporate more upper body.  Run hills to create more power on the run (just be careful running downhill).  Or work on low cadence drills on the bike by shifting into harder gears than you would normally pedal in.

2011-02-11 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3351396

User image

tri808 - 2011-02-11 8:31 PM
mparson76 - 2011-02-11 2:43 PM Tri808

John Wooden

I'm far from an expert on this topic...but IMO you don't need to do any weight training for running or triathlons.  If anything...stick to pushups, body weight squats/lunges, and balance/bosu ball exercises.

Another option is to alter your s/b/r training to incorporate more resistance.  Use paddles or pull buoy drills to incorporate more upper body.  Run hills to create more power on the run (just be careful running downhill).  Or work on low cadence drills on the bike by shifting into harder gears than you would normally pedal in.

Thanks
2011-02-11 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Way excited for tomorrow, it is going to be in the 40's for the first time in a long time. I am going for a ride with a buddy of mine. I have heard he is pretty quick so it will be interesting to see if I can hang with him. At least I will have someone to give me some pointers om my riding.

The whole weight training thing is very up and down from what I have heard and have read. The one I like and am going to try is lift twice a week with moderate weight. I will be going on the light side for legs. I am 237 and would love to be 230 by May, will see.
2011-02-12 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3351344

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
mparson76 - 2011-02-11 8:43 PM Tri808

John Wooden

As J said, I don't think it's particularly necessary to do any strength training to become faster in triathlon, but I do think weights can be beneficial.  But I think more of what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong, would the weights help you lose weight faster?  If that is the question then yes.  More lean muscle mass will definitely help you lose weight.  This is a tough balancing act though.  You will likely gain weight/not lose during the first bit of training with weights.  This will happen because you are adding that lean muscle to your body while decreasing the body fat percentage.  I have experienced this a few times for myself during my powerlifting days.

The lean muscle over the long haul will help you lose weight and you have to decide how you want to go about the season yourself.  If you chose to do the weight training, make sure you do high reps with low weight.  12-15 reps per set with no more than 3 sets for each exercise.  You can also go about adding lean muscle in the way J is talking.  Push ups and other isometric exercises are a great way to add lean muscle without adding mass, which is what you are after.  The way J is talking might be a good way to go about what you are talking about.  These type of things could be done at home or the gym.  Keep in mind that your weight loss may slow when if you chose to go this route.  BUT in the thong haul it might make you more lean and capable of losing weight faster, later on.

2011-02-12 9:10 AM

User image

There is actually a "bible" that I follow as far as weight loss called "Burn the fat, feed the muscle".  It's a no nonsense book (online pdf form) that is an MUST READ for anyone trying to lose weight.  If anyone wants a copy, PM me.

I encourage anyone to at least read the introduction.  It's very well written and an easy read.  It explains mostly stuff you already know...but puts it in a way that makes sense.  It explains how your body works, and how, through evolution, our body responds to exercise and most importantly changes in our diet. 

It's because of this book, I lost about 45 pounds (200 to 155) while eating nearly 2500-3000+ calories per day. 

2011-02-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3351654

User image

DirkP - 2011-02-12 8:30 AM
mparson76 - 2011-02-11 8:43 PM Tri808

John Wooden

As J said, I don't think it's particularly necessary to do any strength training to become faster in triathlon, but I do think weights can be beneficial.  But I think more of what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong, would the weights help you lose weight faster?  If that is the question then yes.  More lean muscle mass will definitely help you lose weight.  This is a tough balancing act though.  You will likely gain weight/not lose during the first bit of training with weights.  This will happen because you are adding that lean muscle to your body while decreasing the body fat percentage.  I have experienced this a few times for myself during my powerlifting days.

The lean muscle over the long haul will help you lose weight and you have to decide how you want to go about the season yourself.  If you chose to do the weight training, make sure you do high reps with low weight.  12-15 reps per set with no more than 3 sets for each exercise.  You can also go about adding lean muscle in the way J is talking.  Push ups and other isometric exercises are a great way to add lean muscle without adding mass, which is what you are after.  The way J is talking might be a good way to go about what you are talking about.  These type of things could be done at home or the gym.  Keep in mind that your weight loss may slow when if you chose to go this route.  BUT in the thong haul it might make you more lean and capable of losing weight faster, later on.

Thanks

2011-02-12 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
The weather was decent today so my and a buddy went for a ride. We went 27 miles in 1:38 averaging 17.8 mph, it was a blast! It is so much more of a workout then a spin bike. My hamstrings are on fire!! I noticed I need to adjust the seat a little bit, I kept sliding forward on the seat. The best part of the ride was after I dropped my buddy of at his home. I had a 5 mile ride home and was heading up a little hill. There was a guy at the round about on a really nice ($4000) bike. He had around 1/4 mile on me, we finished going up the hill and hit a slight decent. I started catching him pretty quickly, I was going to draft him but decided it would be fun to fly past him and see what he did. As I flew passed him at 34.9 MPH I noticed he stood up and shifted. I held him off for 2 miles until we came to a stop sign I slowed down early and he passed me. I kept within 10 feet of him up a hill and around another mile or so. He turned off and all I could think off is that was of got his blood boiling hehehe. Nothing like passing a guy on a bike that costs as much as the gear he is wearing LOL. Finished out the ride and loved it, can't wait for the next ride.

Anyone else do anything fun today, can't wait to pass another well dressed rider Laughing Next time I will have to say nice bike as I fly by.

Edited by garrunning 2011-02-12 8:57 PM
2011-02-12 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I ran the 5k race I had been considering the past couple of weeks.  I kept all of my training as scheduled throughout the week, including today's 1.5 hr. bike.  The bike went for 33 miles and I thought my legs were in decent shape for the race.  By the time I got to the race and stretched I was thinking my legs were not going to have much left for the race.  I started feeling a bit lethargic and during the warm up my legs were telling me that I was in no way going to PR.  They felt like rubber and I could tell they'd had enough of training much less a race.

This was a gun start with a chip finish.  I started a little father back than I would usually start because I started with a friend who didn't want any part of being up front with the speedsters, but to him I am speedster (I would disagree). 

I have a RR completed except there are no official results posted yet.  I will make an official posting of the RR after I find out my placement information.

2011-02-13 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
I just read your RR Dirk. good stuff. congrats!

My 10k today went well. I think I'll do a RR today too, else I would take too much space here!

2011-02-14 2:54 AM

User image

Waikoloa
Kona Ironman Bike Report

What a day.  I knew this was going to be a challange, but it was harder than I thought.  First of all, Hawaii is not flat.  we have hills....lots of them.  I'm not sure but it looks like i had either 3000 ft or 3600 ft of climbing.  thats enough to suck in any distance, but over 112 miles its insane.  You never really get the chance to develop any consistent rhythm.  The day started off well enough, Verena our swimmer did amazing, completing the 2.5 mile ocean swim in about one hour and fifteen minutes.  My turn on the bike. I've done every mile of this course before, but not in one day.  The first challenge was after the airport where I encountered a small 8-10 mph headwind for the next 40 minutes.  No biggie though.  I was really focusing on staying within myself, trying my best to keep my heart rate under 160 and close to 150.  The first 25% of the course was pretty easy, the hills are not that bad.  When I got to the 1/2 ironman turn around spot I was feeling great.  But this bike course is all about the next 25%.  Steep rolling hills, back to sea level and then a few hills on a loooong slooooow climb to Hawi at about 800'.  Doesn't sound like much, but that is where you blow out your legs when you suck at hills like me.  The rest of the day was spent recovering from that part of the course.  My thought was that i would make up time leaving Hawi and riding the loooong sloooooow downhill, but a small crosswind and gassed out legs wouldn't allow it.  The best I could do is ride in the 25mph range and do a lot of rolling to rest.  I'm usually in the 32+ range leaving Hawi.  Most of the Kohala Ranch to Scenic Overlook part is a blur.  I just zoned out in pain and slow pedaling.  After Scenic, the knowledge that I had about 1:15 left lifted my spirits.  Thewinds that created the  headwind I had leaving the airport had changed though, and instead of a tail wind I had a 15+ headwind from Scenic to Kua Bay, then a cross wind to the Airport.  Then, low and behold, a tail wind from the Airport into town!  Perfect timing!  THEN, I almost got hit by a car.  I heard what sounded like a loud scooter behind me, so I made sure to move to the far right of the shoulder, a few hundred feet before the right turn lane for The Energy Lab.  Turns out it was some kid in his little stupid loud small import PASSING A GUY ON THE SHOULDER.  He missed me by a little. I thought about my second amendment rights for a moment.  After that incident, I had a well timed little adrenaline dump!   (um,...thanks?)  That made the ride into town perfect!  With stops I was on the bike for about 7:20.  I was very happy I did not have to run after that....I could never have done it!!
2011-02-14 4:42 AM
in reply to: #3353533

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
That sounds like an agonizing ride.  I have NO hills around here.  At least none that really qualify as what most people would call hills.  Most of my bike routes can only have about 700-800 feet over climbing over the entire route.  Those hills and climbing come from over passes for freeways for the most part.

Good job though.  It sounds like you really had to gut the ride out.

2011-02-14 8:24 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Had a rough  weekend, the job that I have been waiting on/applying for the last 2 years sent me a rejection letter on friday so blew off some steam this weekend.  I don't have the job application hanging over my head which is the reason that I got into shape in the first place and has been my driving force in getting up at 0500 to go to the gym.  I will not allow myself to go back into the condition that I was and so I am setting some new goals for myself.  The Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series has 5 races 3 of which I will be off for and might take a day off to compete in the others.  My A race is going to be the Kiawha Tri (Olympic) in September.  I want to compete in my first marathon and the Charleston Marathon is January 14 of 2012 and I would like to look at doing a HIM next summer.

Right now I am still trying to fight off the feeling of wanting to crawl in a hole and burry myself or scream and yell and break ...  but I am not one for a pity party so I'm going to the gym.

Weekly Goals:
Get all 6 workouts in
3 good stretching sessions at least
Get my mind right

2011-02-14 2:50 PM

User image

Hey Mike,

Sounds like a tough ride.  I appreciate the report as I prepare for Honu.  I hear that climb to Hawi is brutal with the wind.

How did your runner do?  I can't imagine running in that heat.
2011-02-14 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3354740

User image

Waikoloa
She killed it on the run, 4:08 and she was running on 10 days notice!
2011-02-14 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3353533

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-02-14 6:39 PM

2011-02-14 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3264578

Veteran
Had a great workout today, I timed my 200 and did it in 2:55. I havent been timing myself lately so I decided to do it to see where I was at. I ended up swimming around 1500m and then I ran 4 miles, I did 2.5 miles without shoes. I think it feels pretty good without shoes on on the tread mile. Eventually I might get those vibrams.
2011-02-15 12:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Ran 11 miles in 1:43 tonight.  Previous long was 10 miles... this is going to be a super busy week for me.  Not sure how I'm going to fit workouts in...
2011-02-15 4:40 AM
in reply to: #3355436

Master
Fort Wayne
Looks like everyone is knocking down some good times for some runs here recently.  I am still waiting on the official results for the 5k over the weekend.  I am anxious to see my placement in my AG and see the official time. 

I am planning to get at least one extra bike in this week but possibly 2 if time and my legs allow for it.  The intensity will be lower than usual for these workouts but I feel like I need to do something since Ii have missed 1 week of swim and I will not swim until next week at least.  The extra bikes won't add much to my season,per say, but it will help me stay in the weight range by burning a couple of extra calories that would have been burned in the swims.

BTW, the shoulder seems to be getting better.  I have taken it as easy as possible and things seem to be working out well.  The pain I had been experiencing is becoming less and less noticeable.   Hopefully I will be back in the pool soon.

2011-02-15 4:58 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45