BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-23 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Expert
San Jose
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Weigh In Monday!

I lost 2 lbs. Good for the first week. Now to keep it up Wink

2011-05-23 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

They posted the race results this morning, so my race report is now posted--in the race reports forum thread, oddly enough. I ended up being 46 out of 50 overall, and 5 out of 5 in my age group (35-39)....

My calf is still pretty sore, I'm beginning to wonder if I pulled something--iced it last night, and that did nothing. Apart from that, a mostly lazy day...I do have a 'recovery workout' bike and run with my tri class tonight, but if my calf is still pissed off, then it might not happen. I bet it will loosen up as I walk around through the day--hopefully--cause I don't want to miss my workout!

2011-05-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3512864

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-05-22 9:38 PM

All right, all right! I just did a preliminary race report--unfortunately, I dont have my splits or overall rankings yet, so its not public yet--As soon as I get the results, I will upload them, I PROMISE!!!Smile

Overall, I had a great time--I completed everything, and survived. I was also pretty much in last place...I know that finishing the race (especially a challenging one like this one) is the most important thing, but I am a bit more competitive than I should be. On the bright side--I was fifth in my age group--never mind that there was only 5 in my age group--it just sounds good.

I will continue to check for results, then I will post them...

That's awesome!!!  You're a TRIATHLETE now!! 

I love your positive attitude about where you finished.  I was 98/99 for my first multisport race and since that moment I've had such tremendous respect for all athletes-the ones that finish first right through the ones that just plain finish.  It's all a tremendous accomplishment.

2011-05-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3513040

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-05-23 1:54 AM

Me - got in a 300m workout today (had to get out of the water for nature reasons a few times but I kept getting back in to finish) Did Sara's Ultra beginner workout again with a couple additions. First the breathing, then the kick sets (breathing as per breath sets) - still don't feel like I'm moving much, 7 catch up (breathing as per breath sets but I had to swap back to 1 side breathing half way through the bi-lateral laps) plus 1 lap that started of as a catch up and turned in to a frog kick on my back half way through and 2 sets of frog kick on my front - started with my head up the whole time then experimented with breathing - got to the point where I could breath every 3 times I did the kick.  I also did a little bit of mucking around trying to see what one of the other guys was doing with his legs (he had his head up for a full lap and I was curious) sitting on the bottom of the pool and doing a handstand - I was actually trying to do a sumersault (sp?) but didn't quite get there. I also found I'm quite able to tread water (kick vertically more like) for around a minute as I needed both hands to secure the ribbon I'd put on my zip to pull it up/down - wound it round one of the shoulder straps so it wouldn't keep floating all over the place cos it was annoying me, lol

Vertical kicking is a GREAT "drill" to work on!  We did it a lot on swim team and I have my competitive swimmers work on it, too.  It helps you to kick from your hips, not your knees.  Keep up the great work, Suzanne!

2011-05-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3513201

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-23 8:30 AM

I'm back in the swing of things this AM with a 45 min trainer ride. Will try to get in a run tonight. I'm starting to think about my first race upcoming in just 4 weeks, and at this point, I'm almost ready to concede the run may be a struggle. I can go out right now and do 5k, and have been doing a few bricks here and there without much of a problem. However, my run fitness is overall just garbage, and my workouts/plan have been a real mish-mash the past few weeks. Hopefully once things settle down at home this week, I'll be more of a consistent athlete. Except of course for the 2 long weekend trips I'm taking over the next 2 weekends. good bye long bike ride until mid June

I'm going to sign up this week for a few more races this year (2 sprints, and an Oly) and just have fun with them. I also plan to build the run back up and am shooting for an October half mary as well.

Not sure if it's want you want to hear, BUT, sometimes it's more enjoyable to do a tri when you're not trying to smash out a PR, yanno???  Perhaps when you do the tri, your focus can be on executing the PERFECT tri... the best form on the swim/bike/run, smooth transitions, etc... that way when you throw in the speed you'll PR like whoa. Smile

2011-05-23 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3513542

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-05-23 10:53 AM

Weigh In Monday!

Nice!!!  If you hit a plateau in the future, it may be helpful to think of ways to cut calories rather than ways to lose weight.  Sometimes looking for a way to shave 30 calories here and 50 calories there really adds up and can be more manageable.  Keep it up! 

2011-05-23 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3514005

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-05-23 1:42 PM

They posted the race results this morning, so my race report is now posted--in the race reports forum thread, oddly enough. I ended up being 46 out of 50 overall, and 5 out of 5 in my age group (35-39)....

My calf is still pretty sore, I'm beginning to wonder if I pulled something--iced it last night, and that did nothing. Apart from that, a mostly lazy day...I do have a 'recovery workout' bike and run with my tri class tonight, but if my calf is still pissed off, then it might not happen. I bet it will loosen up as I walk around through the day--hopefully--cause I don't want to miss my workout!

Looking forward to reading it!  A nice rule of thumb that I sort of go by: for each mile ran, that makes one "recovery" day.  So, if you did a 5k at the end of your tri then you get three days of taking it easy... you still have tomorrow to have a rest day then! Wink  Since it's your first race, you can use this as an opportunity to develop good, healthy habits, rather than some of the bad habits veterans have (like, getting right back out there to get in the training).  Listen to your calf.  If your tire was going flat on your car...how long would you drive it for?  It certainly wouldn't be something to ignore!  Same thing with your body.  If something's funny with your calf then you're only going to have bumpy training sessions that aren't enjoyable.  You earned your rest time, so soak it up, sister! Laughing

2011-05-23 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Yeah, I have a hard time disagreeing...Except for my usual stockpile of hyperactivity--I have a hard time resting! I agree though that I do need some rest--I think I will bow out tonight. I need to show up there on Wednesday--its OWS, and I REALLY need to improve my swimming. Especially considering my next race is on June 4th.
2011-05-23 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

Wow, this year is so much more difficult to get motivated than last year.  I have had a hard time working my workouts in, because of 2 jobs and planning for my daughters graduation, etc.

I was exhausted yesterday, so I took a nap, and when I woke up I decided I wasn't doing the sprint on the 18th, and probably wouldn't do any at all this year...

That changed this morning.  Out of habit, I got all my swim stuff together before I left the house and, since I had it with me, I swam 600 yards during lunch and actually felt pretty good.  I think I've figured out that I'm trying to take to big of a breath (keeping my head turned to long).

Just goes to show you how much training requires mental toughness.  Still not going to be super prepared for the 18th, cuz I'm going to be in Orlando all next week for my daughter's graduation on Sunday, and the rest of the week at Universal Studios, Sea World, and Busch Gardens, so there won't be a lot of time (if any) for training, but since it's a super sprint, I will not taper and just keep training for September.

Sorry to be long winded, but my friend that is going to help me train asked me on Sunday if I wanted to move my IM plan up a year.  A group of them are going to do IMCdA next June.  There is no way I can, most importantly, I don't have the entry fee and I don't have the money to sink in to proper equipment, or time to dedicate to IM training this year.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Tim

2011-05-23 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3514375

User image

Expert
San Jose

kgore - 2011-05-23 1:12 PM Yeah, I have a hard time disagreeing...Except for my usual stockpile of hyperactivity--I have a hard time resting! I agree though that I do need some rest--I think I will bow out tonight. I need to show up there on Wednesday--its OWS, and I REALLY need to improve my swimming. Especially considering my next race is on June 4th.

Kate,

You are proof that a Triathlete's endorphins last twice as long. Plus your wetsuit probably isn't even dry yet and you're already talking about your next tri. Smile Good for you and a huge congrats on your first tri. Hope for many more to come!

Johanne

2011-05-23 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Tim,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. If you think you can get into some kind of a routine, stick with your race schedule and just do them for fun. With all that you have going on, this year might be too much to fit in IM training. That probably would create more stress then you need!

Is your daughter graduating from college?

Johanne

2011-05-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3514425

User image

Master
Dunedin
jayhawkrichie - 2011-05-23 4:40 PM

Sorry to be long winded, but my friend that is going to help me train asked me on Sunday if I wanted to move my IM plan up a year.  A group of them are going to do IMCdA next June.  There is no way I can, most importantly, I don't have the entry fee and I don't have the money to sink in to proper equipment, or time to dedicate to IM training this year.

Tim

Tri is a funny beast-some people stay in it a short time and some people stay in it forever.  If you're using it as a way to get motivated to stay in shape, then you can certainly be more lax then the person that wants a podium finish.  I swear we have a guy in our tri club that just races so he can wear costumes (like, Superman capes or viking helmets).  

Are you unmotivated to swim/bike/run or be active in general?  I've been through phases where I'd rather take up a completely random sport (like curling!) then get in the water or hit the road.  If it's the swim/bike/run that isn't what's up your alley then consider throwing in another sport for kicks and giggles-you're still going to get fitness benefits from tennis/golf/rock climbing etc if you throw it in once a week or once a month, to keep things fresh.  If it's any physical activity that you aren't into right now, then it could be your body/mind saying "Hey, let's focus on other stuff right now".

2011-05-23 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3514375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

kgore - 2011-05-23 3:12 PM Yeah, I have a hard time disagreeing...Except for my usual stockpile of hyperactivity--I have a hard time resting! I agree though that I do need some rest--I think I will bow out tonight. I need to show up there on Wednesday--its OWS, and I REALLY need to improve my swimming. Especially considering my next race is on June 4th.

Addict!!!!!  It really is quite a high finishing and does drive you to the next "fix".  Make sure you mentally send me some of your OWS swim skills after the lesson as I can use 'em.

2011-05-23 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3513542

Extreme Veteran
50andgettingfit - 2011-05-23 9:53 AM

Weigh In Monday!

Way to go on the weight loss

Kate - WTG on your race. I didn't think you'd be last. Hope your calf gets better

Sara - thanks - I only really did it because I needed both hands to fix the ribbon I'd put on my swimsuit so I can do it up and undo it myself but I may keep add it in to future workouts.

2011-05-24 5:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Had planned on a big swim day (a 'make me cry' day ), but it didn't happen.  Needed to be @ work early combined with final stages of moving last night left me w/ little time this AM, but I did what I could.

Swimming has become an interesting activity for me the past couple months. As a measuring stick, my time per 100 has come down quite a bit, but here's the funny part -- I still feel like I'm flailing in the water. When I get it right, I know it -- the smooth 'glide' in the water, good balance, etc. Its nearly effortless. I felt like that for maybe 1 minute total today. The rest was trying to get back to that feeling. The struggle continues. Some other swim observations I had today:

- I need a masters swim class. Its obvious I would have better workouts if I had folks in the pool with me, and a coach driving me. Unlike bike or run workouts, I have weak mental fitness when it comes to sticking to a workout plan. Not a fitness thing, though. Maybe just a boredom thing?

- Shared a lane today with a guy I nicknamed 'the fish' a while back as he just swims like he is one. Funny part is, I could keep up with him (a surprise to me!), but when it came to turning, he is quite good at flip turns, and I'm doing my non-flip turn around, and he would leave me in the dust. If I did decent flip turns, I think I'd do better in the pool. I tried one today and managed to get lots of water up my nose .

- Bilateral breathing is not easily learned, but if you keep at it, its manageable. I've been doing this for the past week or so, and its work, but worth it.

- I lose focus so easily while swimming. My mind wanders all over. I forget so quickly what the heck I'm supposed to be working on! . Doesn't happen with run or bike times, just in the pool.

Anyone else experiece stuff like this, or is it just my thing?

2011-05-24 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3515239

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-05-24 5:39 AM

Had planned on a big swim day (a 'make me cry' day ), but it didn't happen.  Needed to be @ work early combined with final stages of moving last night left me w/ little time this AM, but I did what I could.

Swimming has become an interesting activity for me the past couple months. As a measuring stick, my time per 100 has come down quite a bit, but here's the funny part -- I still feel like I'm flailing in the water. When I get it right, I know it -- the smooth 'glide' in the water, good balance, etc. Its nearly effortless. I felt like that for maybe 1 minute total today. The rest was trying to get back to that feeling. The struggle continues. Some other swim observations I had today:

- I need a masters swim class. Its obvious I would have better workouts if I had folks in the pool with me, and a coach driving me. Unlike bike or run workouts, I have weak mental fitness when it comes to sticking to a workout plan. Not a fitness thing, though. Maybe just a boredom thing?

- Shared a lane today with a guy I nicknamed 'the fish' a while back as he just swims like he is one. Funny part is, I could keep up with him (a surprise to me!), but when it came to turning, he is quite good at flip turns, and I'm doing my non-flip turn around, and he would leave me in the dust. If I did decent flip turns, I think I'd do better in the pool. I tried one today and managed to get lots of water up my nose .

- Bilateral breathing is not easily learned, but if you keep at it, its manageable. I've been doing this for the past week or so, and its work, but worth it.

- I lose focus so easily while swimming. My mind wanders all over. I forget so quickly what the heck I'm supposed to be working on! . Doesn't happen with run or bike times, just in the pool.

I'm right there with you on each of the points -- biggest one is issue of focus and drive.  While I know that I need to concentrate and work harder, it's just hard to keep my head in the game.  Like you said, having a training group or partner makes it easier.  One thing I have found that works is to write down the workout on an index card and put it in a freezer bag at the end of the lane.  It seems more "real" then and I feel like I "have" to do it since it is written down.

Think the key is that what you are doing is working -- your times are improving so that's great.  One other thought for you "The more we know, the less we know".  Find this so true in every activity in life.  Doesn't mean we're not good at something or not learning.  Rather, it simply expresses that there's always room for improvement and that things are a lot more complex than they appear on the surface.

Have a great day.

2011-05-24 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-24 6:39 AM

You're not alone-those are great observations.  When will you start masters swimming?? =)

2011-05-24 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'm heading to some training for work Wed/Thursday and then going to New Orleans for a wedding Friday-Sun.  So, use me and abuse me with any thoughts/questions/comments today since I won't be too available for a week (eek!). =)

How's everyone liking the "inspires"? I was sending some yesterday and saw you all had a few posted from others in the group. Laughing

2011-05-24 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Enjoy the time in NO!

I just found out the local masters class @ the Y for the summer is at a completely ridiculous time (10:30 AM M/W) for anyone with a job, so thats out. . I'll look elsewhere for now.

Mike
2011-05-24 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3515524

User image

Master
Dunedin
I cannot even begin to fathom who would set that time for a masters team!
2011-05-24 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Mike_D - 2011-05-24 3:39 AM

Mike,

You are not alone on the swimming. 

I go to Masters and it has helped me get the workouts in. Interestingly, each day is different depending on the number of people that show up. If I have to circle swim, I get a better cardio workout. If I split a lane, I get a better technique workout and if I get a lane to myself, I can get a little lazy even with the coach there Maybe there are some local swim clubs or country clubs with masters teams that you can look into. 

I've never tried a flip turn but would love to learn how to do one. I lose lots of time at each end. Good for you to work on bilateral breathing too.

Hope life starts settling down,

Johanne

2011-05-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3515301

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-05-24 4:45 AM

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'm heading to some training for work Wed/Thursday and then going to New Orleans for a wedding Friday-Sun.  So, use me and abuse me with any thoughts/questions/comments today since I won't be too available for a week (eek!). =)

How's everyone liking the "inspires"? I was sending some yesterday and saw you all had a few posted from others in the group. Laughing

Have a great week Sara!

2011-05-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3514563

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
50andgettingfit - 2011-05-23 4:51 PM

Tim,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. If you think you can get into some kind of a routine, stick with your race schedule and just do them for fun. With all that you have going on, this year might be too much to fit in IM training. That probably would create more stress then you need!

Is your daughter graduating from college?

Johanne

There is no way I even considered trying to do IMCdA next year, for exactly that reason...No time/money.

My daughter is graduating from high school. She is home-schooled and the Florida home-school association has a graduation ceremony in Orlando every year, so she will get to wear a cap and gown and get to participate in a real ceremony.  The Governor of Florida is the commencement speaker.

2011-05-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3514664

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
WittyCityGirl - 2011-05-23 5:59 PM
jayhawkrichie - 2011-05-23 4:40 PM

Tim

Tri is a funny beast-some people stay in it a short time and some people stay in it forever.  If you're using it as a way to get motivated to stay in shape, then you can certainly be more lax then the person that wants a podium finish.  I swear we have a guy in our tri club that just races so he can wear costumes (like, Superman capes or viking helmets).  

Are you unmotivated to swim/bike/run or be active in general?  I've been through phases where I'd rather take up a completely random sport (like curling!) then get in the water or hit the road.  If it's the swim/bike/run that isn't what's up your alley then consider throwing in another sport for kicks and giggles-you're still going to get fitness benefits from tennis/golf/rock climbing etc if you throw it in once a week or once a month, to keep things fresh.  If it's any physical activity that you aren't into right now, then it could be your body/mind saying "Hey, let's focus on other stuff right now".

Not unmotivated to s/b/r, just having a hard time making it a priority, so I do what I can.

2011-05-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3512864

Kate-

Great Job on your race! Looking forward to the race report-mine is 2 weeks away.

Tracie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72