of 84

2011-06-15 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3551644

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
jenputnam - 2011-06-15 10:16 PM

Wow...  First Congratulations on finishing your tri yubi!!!!

Now, I went through and caught up on everyones posts.  Seems like we are all on the same training page.  I wanted to do the MAF test but I move in a month so everything will change so I figured I need to wait on that.  

I am ready to begin my aerobic base training.  Basically I need to start training to train.  Tomorrow willl be my first run since my race and I was wondering how long should I go for.  I figured I'll be running time not distance at this point..  

Thanks

Jen

That's exactly right. The proper way to plan workouts is time and effort level. Mileage is not a good way, we are not cars with odometers, racking up miles for the sake of "bragging" means nothing to your fitness.All that said Jen, you are right. Go by time and consider this a recovery run. Say forty minutes at MAF pace, even if it means a slow jog or even a walk.

2011-06-16 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: A Little Inspiration

I came across this on www.jennsommermann.blogspot.com.  I met Jenn when I volunteered for the Keller St. Patrick's Day tri.  She is going for a triathlon in all 50 states by the time she is 50 (3 years).  She's at 25.  Enjoy.

Author Unknown

I tri for the doubters who question my resolve.
I tri for the younger me who never got involved. 

I tri for the times that I never thought I would.
I tri for the believers who told me that I could.

I tri to contemplate what life is all about. 
I tri for the former me who struggles to get out.

I tri for my family, my neighbors and for you.
I tri so that others may see they can too.

I tri not for glory, notoriety or fame.
I tri very happily just being in the game.
2011-06-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3552131

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: A Little Inspiration
Jackie, I love it!  Thanks for sharing.
2011-06-16 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
jdiis - 2011-06-16 10:25 AM

I came across this on www.jennsommermann.blogspot.com.  I met Jenn when I volunteered for the Keller St. Patrick's Day tri.  She is going for a triathlon in all 50 states by the time she is 50 (3 years).  She's at 25.  Enjoy.

Author Unknown

I tri for the doubters who question my resolve.
I tri for the younger me who never got involved. 

I tri for the times that I never thought I would.
I tri for the believers who told me that I could.

I tri to contemplate what life is all about. 
I tri for the former me who struggles to get out.

I tri for my family, my neighbors and for you.
I tri so that others may see they can too.

I tri not for glory, notoriety or fame.
I tri very happily just being in the game.

Now in Johnny Cash voice please.

2011-06-16 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Love it Jackie.  I just shared it with a friend of mine that just completed her first Tri last weekend.

I went for my first run since the race this morning.  (Chris-My training run scenery is much better than the the race).  I followed the MAF 180-my age to get my aerobic heart ("OMG YA"LL>>>LOL!).  I didn't add the plus 5 so 142 is were I'm at.  Well I made it through.  There is a steep climb heading to the beach path so I really had to go slow.... in fact the whole run was slow. 

Question...  Now that I am heading into this base training how often should I be running and are all my runs going to at this aerobic HR.  I will be biking and swimming one I move but that is 3.5 weeks away.  I may do a spinervals aerobase workout here or there.  Just need help on setting up this new plan...

Thanks

Jen

2011-06-16 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Fuel Belt vs Camelbak

So, I'm thinking about hydration now that it seems that it's going to be 101 degrees for weeks!

I know a lot of people use the fuel belt and the amphipod.  What about the camelbak that I already have?  I don't particularly relish something hanging on my waist/hips as opposed to hanging off my back.  Plus I can carry so much more liquid in my camelbak than in those 4 little bottles.  Plus I don't have to change my cadence on either the bike or run when I have my camelbak on.  Somehow I instinctively slow down just slightly when reaching for bottles.

Thoughts gang?

2011-06-16 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3552613

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Fuel Belt vs Camelbak
I use a belt now but Scott and I were talking about new camelbacks.  I know they will be hot but I agree with you, on having to slow down.  I've had to stop to get a bottle off before!
2011-06-16 2:10 PM

User image

Master
jdiis - 2011-06-16 12:40 PM

So, I'm thinking about hydration now that it seems that it's going to be 101 degrees for weeks!

I know a lot of people use the fuel belt and the amphipod.  What about the camelbak that I already have?  I don't particularly relish something hanging on my waist/hips as opposed to hanging off my back.  Plus I can carry so much more liquid in my camelbak than in those 4 little bottles.  Plus I don't have to change my cadence on either the bike or run when I have my camelbak on.  Somehow I instinctively slow down just slightly when reaching for bottles.

Thoughts gang?

I use the amphipod and have never needed more than the 4 bottles - granted it's Michigan and I don't train in the middle of the day, but I think the bottles have to be 10-12 ounces so that is a fair amount.  I find it to work well and it doesn't move around a lot.  I am one that isn't bothered by something tight around my waist - I try to get it at the bony section of my waist so that it isn't too constricting on my stomach.  Their service is also great - I had one of the screw on caps break in the freezing cold when I dropped a bottle - at the Detroit HM expo last fall the vendor rep took my address and had a new cap sent to me for free.  Not a big deal but definitely a nice touch.

I also have camelback but I only use it when mountain biking.  My concern would be how hot it was on my back.  Also, unsure why your cadence should change when drinking from the bottle - this seems to be something you could practice - not saying I do it correctly - just know that sometimes I slow down when taking a drink and sometimes I don't.  Remember that the more water you carry the more weight you carry - don't mean to state the obvious.

Other thoughts - what do you do when racing?  I have thought of carrying my own hydration but don't want the extra weight and the more I race the beter I get at drinking from cups.  I don't drink sports drinks during races and supplment when necessary with GU gels.  I do understand though that at longer distances what you train with isn't necessarily available on the course - so you see people toting their own hyrdration/nutrition.

At the end of the day, try both and do what feels most comfortable to YOU. 

Edited by dangremond 2011-06-16 2:21 PM
2011-06-16 2:41 PM

El Paso

Thoughts gang?

2011-06-16 2:49 PM

El Paso

Thoughts gang?

Hi Jakie,

Early this year when I had my first couple of outdoor long runs I took my camelback and I was fine, then my wife gave me as a present the Nathan belt with 4 bottles, let me tell you that I felt the diference in comfort, dont know exatly what but it just felt better, plus you can have 2 bottles with water and the other 2 with gatorade,  

2011-06-16 6:34 PM

User image

Regular
jdiis - 2011-06-16 1:40 PM

Thoughts gang?

I got a single  bottle belt (holds 22oz bottle) from REI. Don't like it at all. Its quite an annoyance. I'd rather carry a bottle in hand (they make palm sleeves for that as well) and drink plenty of water before. Never tried the little bottle pods (the belts with 4x tiny bottles) but can't imagine to be any better. And, I drink A LOT of water through the day and during workout. Need for constant hydration is very important to me. 

Camelbaks are great if you don't mind the bulkiness. 

2011-06-16 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Heed and Perpeteum

Evil, you ok?

Got me a sample packet of Strawberry Heed and Strawberry Vanilla Perpeteum.  Want to try it on my long bike ride Saturday.  Can you give me your secret mixing formula?  Is it 50/50 or something else?

2011-06-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3553520

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Heed and Perpeteum

I would like that secret mix too!!!!

2011-06-16 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Sorry everybody, busy day. Yes, the mix is 50/50. Kinda hard to digest if you're going hard, but at low HR it is the thing that has done the most for me.Please don't call me evil, I never realized that my first initial and first three letters of my last name would spell that until someone joked with it. I tried to change my display name but it won't let me. I pretty much have to create a new account.
2011-06-16 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3553542

User image

Expert
Sorry.  I was thinking evil kneivel, jumping over bunches of cars, etc. not evil like not good.
2011-06-17 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3553553

User image

Master
Dallas

jdiis - 2011-06-16 10:40 PM Sorry.  I was thinking evil kneivel, jumping over bunches of cars, etc. not evil like not good.
Jackie

Look at what I found for you:

http://bikereligion.com/product/felt-bicycles-b14-4127.htm

2011-06-17 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Hey Ernesto...  I didn't know if you saw my earlier post of the aerobic run that I did.  I put the link in my BT log but I also included it below.  I've never trained like this before, how do I pursue this training....  What type of plan will I need since I will be working on all three disciplines.  Thanks

Jen

2011-06-17 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
2011-06-17 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3554142

User image

Regular
jenputnam - 2011-06-17 11:36 AM

Sorry..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92787635

Thats quite a slowdown from your regular pace. Good to know I have company here. Smile

When I ws looking at Ernesto's run at MAF, he started off with keeping his HR much lower and then gradually increased it to his MAF limit. Should we be doign the same? 

2011-06-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3553542

User image

Master

evillarroel - 2011-06-16 10:12 PM Sorry everybody, busy day. Yes, the mix is 50/50. Kinda hard to digest if you're going hard, but at low HR it is the thing that has done the most for me.Please don't call me evil, I never realized that my first initial and first three letters of my last name would spell that until someone joked with it. I tried to change my display name but it won't let me. I pretty much have to create a new account.

Ernesto - I agree, it would be nice if there was a way to change your screen name without creating a whole new account.  I would love to introduce a little anonymity into my acount but no desire to lose all my history with a new account.

2011-06-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3554381

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Aki-Not sure...  This is all so different.  I based that run off of 180- my age.  Although I started running awhile ago, training hasn't been part of my life like it is now until 4 months ago.  A year ago running 3 miles took everything I had.  I'm not sure if that's where I need to start or slower.  We shall see what he posts.  I've been going between several books as well.  The Maffetone book that Ernesto recommends and then I have the Triathletes Training Bible and Going Long.  Trying to figure all this out.  

2011-06-17 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3554418

User image

Master
jenputnam - 2011-06-17 12:26 PM

Aki-Not sure...  This is all so different.  I based that run off of 180- my age.  Although I started running awhile ago, training hasn't been part of my life like it is now until 4 months ago.  A year ago running 3 miles took everything I had.  I'm not sure if that's where I need to start or slower.  We shall see what he posts.  I've been going between several books as well.  The Maffetone book that Ernesto recommends and then I have the Triathletes Training Bible and Going Long.  Trying to figure all this out.  

Jen - I think we can get information overload sometimes - too many data points - too many metrics - resulting in everything being over complicated.  On slowtwitch.com one of the old wisdom sages has a quote that is something like - "run a lot, mostly easy and sometimes hard".

I think Maffetone and Friel are in agreement just slightly different methodology - target easy running for the large majority of your runs so that you can increase volume absent from injuries and overtraining.  Some of the run systems don't focus on HR at all, but pace (MacMillan and Daniels).  What is interesting is that folks who switch from those systems to HR systems end up running the same paces as before for their easy and hard runs.  Magically - their recommended HR and paces are in sync. 

Everyone markets their running systems a bit differently but they mostly preach the same thing - build a base with a lot of easy running (easy being easier than you would think) and after that sprinkle in intensity through intervals and tempo runs to no more than 20% of total volume.  At the end of the day you get back to "run a lot, mostly easy and sometimes hard".

The other saying that I am trying to implement is your "easy runs are never easy enough and your hard runs are never hard enough" (or something like that).

2011-06-17 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3554139

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-06-17 10:35 AM

Hey Ernesto...  I didn't know if you saw my earlier post of the aerobic run that I did.  I put the link in my BT log but I also included it below.  I've never trained like this before, how do I pursue this training....  What type of plan will I need since I will be working on all three disciplines.  Thanks

Jen

Keep doing it the same way. The execution is right, first mile is the fastest and then it starts to come down. The huge gap between your aerobic pace and your test mile with the running club is clearly showing a defficiency in your aerobic engine. Like I told Chris, that is great! it means there's a lot of room for improvement.

Try to do most of your runs in these numbers, keep speedwork short and very, very fast.

2011-06-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3545197

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-06-12 6:57 PM

Gabo, like I said before, really glad you did so well.

On Friday's workout I've noticed that when you did the 30" repeats your cadence dropped dramatically to about 55SPM which obviously indicates that you're striding VERY long when you go hard. Going hard should not diminish you cadence, it should keep it the same or increase it a tad. The stride will be longer but not that much.

The only difference between elite runners and ourselves is not the turnover but the amount of ground they cover with each stride. I'll recommend some other workouts (running drills) for you to get stronger in this area. Like you said there's room for improvement, the good news is that you have an enormous potential for growth.

Cheers! enjoy your post race beers while watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaDYnpTA2Y&feature=player_embedded

Ernesto, I had not seen this post from you, thanks for the cool video (hard core training).

Regarding my cadence during 30" repeats, I actually believe I increased it during the sprints (as I increased my pace by 2-2.5 mph using short fast steps) and the cadence would go down as I slowed down my pace significantly during my recovery 30" (to catch my breath).  

I will appreciate any workouts (running drills) you have to share for me (and anyone else interested) to get stronger in this area.  Separately, I'm now about 7 weeks away from my first 1/2 IM tri, should I be worrying about implementing the Maffetone program, or should I wait after the tri?

Thanks!

2011-06-17 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3554955

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-06-17 6:10 PM
evillarroel - 2011-06-12 6:57 PM

Gabo, like I said before, really glad you did so well.

On Friday's workout I've noticed that when you did the 30" repeats your cadence dropped dramatically to about 55SPM which obviously indicates that you're striding VERY long when you go hard. Going hard should not diminish you cadence, it should keep it the same or increase it a tad. The stride will be longer but not that much.

The only difference between elite runners and ourselves is not the turnover but the amount of ground they cover with each stride. I'll recommend some other workouts (running drills) for you to get stronger in this area. Like you said there's room for improvement, the good news is that you have an enormous potential for growth.

Cheers! enjoy your post race beers while watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaDYnpTA2Y&feature=player_embedded

Ernesto, I had not seen this post from you, thanks for the cool video (hard core training).

Regarding my cadence during 30" repeats, I actually believe I increased it during the sprints (as I increased my pace by 2-2.5 mph using short fast steps) and the cadence would go down as I slowed down my pace significantly during my recovery 30" (to catch my breath).  

I will appreciate any workouts (running drills) you have to share for me (and anyone else interested) to get stronger in this area.  Separately, I'm now about 7 weeks away from my first 1/2 IM tri, should I be worrying about implementing the Maffetone program, or should I wait after the tri?

Thanks!

Gabriel,

Here's a list of wonderful, painful to the bone workouts that I found for running. They can also work for the bike with some slight modifications:

5 x 3 Minute Repeats

LV Billat came up with this workout which as become come classic vVO2 max and speed workout for all distances.

Description: 5 x 3 minute repeats at vVO2 max pace. Run 3 minutes at vVO2 max pace. Repeat 4 more times for a total of 5 repeats.

Pace: vVO2 max pace

Recovery: 2 minutes of passive rest between each repeat

Lactate Builders

The very intense pace of these repeats make them a good vVO2 max workout and the progressive accumulation of lactic acid provide a high level of lactate turn point stimulus.

Description: Run 8 x 1 minute repeats at nearly all out pace. Recover between each repeat with 2 minutes at an easy pace.

Pace: Nearly full pace. Your pace should feel very hard, but stay fluid and relaxed throughout the repeat.

Recovery: Recover between each repeat with 2 minutes at an easy pace.

6 x 200/400 Meter Repeats

This one is a compound set that is both a vVO2 max builder and a lactate turn point session.

Description: After a warm up, run 200 meters at vVO2 max pace and then slow to 5K pace for 400 meters. Take no recovery between the components of each compound set, but recovery with 3 minutes of passive rest between each set.

Pace: 200 meters at vVO2 max pace and 400 meters at 5K pace

Recovery: No recovery within each compound set. Recover with 3 minutes of passive rest between each set.

200 Meter Blasters

Here is another classic track workout that is a great vVO2 max session.

Description: Warm up and then run 200 meters at nearly full pace followed by 200 meters at an easy pace. Repeat that sequence as many times as you can. Keep going until you can’t hold a quality pace on the hard 200 meter portions.

Pace: Nearly full pace. Run at a very hard pace, but stay fluid and relaxed.

Recovery: Recovery between each hard 200 meters with 200 meters at an easy pace. No other recovery.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84