BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-07-20 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

Well peeps, my feet hit the water tomorrow.  I'm nervous and excited.  My plan is to go easy on the swim, stay near the markers, and finish.  Then hammer the bike, 11.5 miles, and do my best on the 5K.  I would like to finish faster than 1 hour 40 min, 1 1/2 hours would be great for me.

TJ, As our awesome leaders have said, listen to your body! 

I'm IN IT, to FINISH IT!  (and not be last, LOL)

Tom

2012-07-20 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4320319

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Lesandtj - 2012-07-19 1:15 PM

Ok, I need some more advise from my peeps. (That is you guys by the way.)

I have an Oly planned for the first week of October. I have appx 2 months to prepare. I have a decent base left after coming off my 1/2 mary and I felt pretty good on my sprint race last week. All was well until I realized that my schedule opened up for a race I wasn't planning on racing this year. It is an Oly on August 11th. 2 weeks out. I'm super excited to do it, but not sure how ready my body is. Both Olys are open water swims which I am not quite ready for. I was planning on doing a lot of swimming for 2 months to prepare but now i'm not sure if I can get ready in 2 weeks. The other thing is the Aug 11th race is spendy ($112.00)  If i DNF it might crush my confidence for the later race plus i'd be out $100. Ugh, my practical side seems to get in the way sometimes. 

OK, I understand i'm asking a loaded question but do you think I can get ready in 2 weeks? I am heading to Coeur d' Alene this weekend and I was going to get an open water swim in at the beach the race starts at. Maybe that will calm some fears. 

race link: http://cdatriathlon.com/

Q, maybe this is the time to "HTFU" huh?

P.S. be careful what you say. It plays a huge role in my decision making process.  Guess that means I trust you guys. 

Thanks, TJ

It seems pretty straightforward to me. You do the race. In case you haven't figured it out yet, if you ask me or Dave, the answer is always do the race (heh). But here's why. OWS is something you can get ready for fairly quickly. Just make the next two weeks an OWS focus...get a few swims in, because it sounds to me like it's not a fitness issue, just an experience issue. So go get the experience and knock the race out.

If you wanted to hedge your bets, you could wait a week to get a few swims under your belt, and then sign up for the race, but as I learned the all to painful way, races do sell out...

This way, you have two races and the first one is a dress rehearsal for your A race in October. So if something goes wrong, you have time to diagnose it and fix it for the second race...

Plus I can tell by reading between the lines that you really want to do it and just want one of us to slap you on the butt and say "go get 'em tiger!"

"go get 'em tiger!" (smack)

2012-07-20 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4321451

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TLakatos1259 - 2012-07-20 7:04 AM

Well peeps, my feet hit the water tomorrow.  I'm nervous and excited.  My plan is to go easy on the swim, stay near the markers, and finish.  Then hammer the bike, 11.5 miles, and do my best on the 5K.  I would like to finish faster than 1 hour 40 min, 1 1/2 hours would be great for me.

Tom

Oh don't listen to your body, that whiny beyotch will keep telling you to slow down. Flip the Jax switch and hammer it! (after the swim of course).

2012-07-20 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Oh, and sorry a bit late to the party here...congrats CONGRATS to our heroes from last week. Racine HIM is a NO JOKE race...it was hot AGAIN and I saw lots of broken bodies in the medical tent. I made a last minute decision to take my kids up to spectate and cheer BabyDaddy on. While it was a bummer to feel left out of the racing, it was fun to spectate (only a triathlete could enjoy watching a triathlon) and I got quite a workout hauling the kids everywhere.

I am sad I couldn't meet up with everyone but it was a last minute decision to go up there.

In other news I rode two loops of the IM wisconsin course (it's a hybrid out and back with loops in the middle and the loops are the "meat" of the course). It was a good mental exercise (as well as physical) because I have heard so much about how hilly this damn course is, I was starting to think it was a freakin' mountain stage. What I found out is that there are some climbs, so hillier by midwest standards but nothing I can't handle, and it's do-able on a tri bike. Actually I think the perfect set up for this course would be a roadie with a fast forward seat post (to change the saddle position) and clip on aero bars, but since it is not too far out from the race, imma do the smart thing and stick with what I know...

So that's it for deep thoughts.

Weekend plans? (someone said something about Doors, is something big going on this weekend, harhar)...

But I am inching closer to a new road bike, so keep an eye out for some new bike pjorn

2012-07-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4320319

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Lesandtj - 2012-07-19 2:15 PM

I have an Oly planned for the first week of October. I have appx 2 months to prepare. I have a decent base left after coming off my 1/2 mary and I felt pretty good on my sprint race last week. All was well until I realized that my schedule opened up for a race I wasn't planning on racing this year. It is an Oly on August 11th. 2 weeks out. I'm super excited to do it, but not sure how ready my body is. Both Olys are open water swims which I am not quite ready for. I was planning on doing a lot of swimming for 2 months to prepare but now i'm not sure if I can get ready in 2 weeks. The other thing is the Aug 11th race is spendy ($112.00)  If i DNF it might crush my confidence for the later race plus i'd be out $100. Ugh, my practical side seems to get in the way sometimes. 

OK, I understand i'm asking a loaded question but do you think I can get ready in 2 weeks? I am heading to Coeur d' Alene this weekend and I was going to get an open water swim in at the beach the race starts at. Maybe that will calm some fears. 

P.S. be careful what you say. It plays a huge role in my decision making process.  Guess that means I trust you guys. 

Thanks, TJ

OK, TJ...I needed some time to think about that one. I have to second Quincy here: I say race it! There is really no substitute to race experience. I know it's a "spendy" experience, but if you have the money, and the time, it's worth it...and you get to race, which is what I know you really want to do.

Also, if something "bad" happens that you think will discourage you, take it as a learning experience. It was likely to happen in October's race anyway. This way you can get the kinks worked out, and really figure out what you need to tweak for October.

I think physically you can do the race. You might be as fast as you would like, but just take it easy and really pace yourself so that you will finish. Unless you have an injury that really prevents you from finishing, don't even allow not finishing to be an option. I always keep Dean Karnazes' mantra in my head on really hard races "run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must...just keep moving forward."

Good luck ('cause I know you're racingWink)

2012-07-20 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Geez, guess you guys can see right through my thinly veiled plea for encouragement. Laughing

I'm gonna swim there in the morning and them make my decision sign up for the race.

My preggo wife keeps baulking at the race fees. She goes on and on about the baby will need diapers, the baby needs this and that. WHAT ABOUT WHAT DADDY NEEDS? Sorry, got a little personal there. haha

Real question: This race is a USAT sanctioned race. They said there will not be an inspector there and I need to have the bike inspected before the race. What does that mean?  Inspected for safety? Will I need some certification that it was inspected? I have never done a USAT race.

Also Q, I didn't use a bucket in my sprint last week. I made a small transition setup. You'da been proud. 

2012-07-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4313034

User image

Master
St. Louis
Have fun on vacation! 10 days in the boundary waters sounds perfect!
2012-07-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4314304

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2012-07-16 2:29 PM
Lesandtj - 2012-07-16 1:58 PM

TJ - I just LOVED reading your post and seeing these pics!!! What an awesome thing to do with your son. You should get a triple frame or shadow box for him and put these pics and his medal in them for his room. So glad you did so well on your tri, too. Sounds like you had a great weekend.

-Sarah

X2, those pics are priceless!
2012-07-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4319103

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-07-18 7:56 PM

I love all the pics with the kiddos! (Yvonne-could not load yours up for some reason)   that's what it's all about.    (Ok almost all about)

Mike and I have this little event we gotta do up in Door County, WI   can't wait to get up there!

Have a minor pulled hammy.   Getting a bit nervous.  No worries will employ my inner viking.    I received and have been playing around with my Garmin 910XT  loving it!  Can't wait to have actual data again while racing.  think that will help?  um YES!

So was feeling good about the race then saw this pic.    what do you think Mike?   BTW water temp is 74 right now. 

Umm, the water was 56 this morning after a heavy rain yesterday. If we don't get more rain, it should warm up to a tolerable temperature (I hope, eek!). I didn't see that sign but I did drive the run course today. There are two tough hills. In one of the earlier elevation maps they had on the race site, they listed it as a cat 4! BTW, I've never figured out how to add a picture to a post. Maybe you can show me how to do that this weekend or someone else can give me the posting pics on BT for dummy's steps.
2012-07-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4321451

User image

Master
St. Louis
TLakatos1259 - 2012-07-20 7:04 AM

Tom

Good luck tomorrow and have fun!
2012-07-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4321542

User image

Master
St. Louis
quincyf - 2012-07-20 8:18 AM
Lesandtj - 2012-07-19 1:15 PM

Thanks, TJ

It seems pretty straightforward to me. You do the race. In case you haven't figured it out yet, if you ask me or Dave, the answer is always do the race (heh). But here's why. OWS is something you can get ready for fairly quickly. Just make the next two weeks an OWS focus...get a few swims in, because it sounds to me like it's not a fitness issue, just an experience issue. So go get the experience and knock the race out.

If you wanted to hedge your bets, you could wait a week to get a few swims under your belt, and then sign up for the race, but as I learned the all to painful way, races do sell out...

This way, you have two races and the first one is a dress rehearsal for your A race in October. So if something goes wrong, you have time to diagnose it and fix it for the second race...

Plus I can tell by reading between the lines that you really want to do it and just want one of us to slap you on the butt and say "go get 'em tiger!"

"go get 'em tiger!" (smack)

X2 smack! Smack! Just plan to stop and tread water on the swim if you get nervous. Also, plan to smile when you stop and take in the sights and reaffirm that you got this, because you do.

2012-07-21 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi All Fellow Leg Lovers!  Boy do mine hurt NOW!  I will do my race report soon.  Suffice to say, I FINISHED.  Conquered the OWS with a couple rest stops.  Hammered the bike the best I could, and finished the run.  Didn't come in last, barely.  I had a great time and looking forward to volunteering at the OLY tomorrow.
2012-07-21 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4323587

User image

Master
St. Louis
TLakatos1259 - 2012-07-21 6:05 PMHi All Fellow Leg Lovers!  Boy do mine hurt NOW!  I will do my race report soon.  Suffice to say, I FINISHED.  Conquered the OWS with a couple rest stops.  Hammered the bike the best I could, and finished the run.  Didn't come in last, barely.  I had a great time and looking forward to volunteering at the OLY tomorrow.
Congrats! Looking forward to the race report.
2012-07-21 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
My Race Report is up.  Now that I got the state Tri completed, I think I will ease up a bit and plan my next Tri for September.  There is an 8K in mid August that I may do.  But mainly I want to concentrate on loosing more weight and increasing my endurance, ie swim 500 m without stopping and running 5K without stopping.
2012-07-21 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Pre-race goings on....Last night after checking in, I take chaindropper out and start to clean set up and realize that my front derailler cable was shot as it would not shift. Called like the only bike shop in Door. They said if i could get my bike in early the next morning (today) they could work on it. Ok Deal! So got up early ate breaky and dropped off my high maintenance but SEXY bike and followed my lovely ladies around Fish creek while they spent a mini fortune shopping.

Pciked up chaindropper from the shop they fixed her up nicely and $18 later i considered myself very lucky.

Then met up with Mike and his nice family for lunch at Wilsons in Ephriam. Nice chat, good times and eats then iit was decided we would do a mini triathlon warmup/gear check You know.... Like for confidemce? Yup this is what happens when magical mys-tri tour trippers get together. Hilarity ensued.

We pick up oir packets then put wetsuits on which took us forever all full of sand and balancing hopping on one leg in the surf. Can i get a bench around here ? Then we start swimming I start my eleventy billion dollar nasa inspired 910xt and proudly put it in tri mode. Some how it gets shut off. Maybe it was one of the infamous Green Bay white cap waves that turned it off or whatevs. But it stopped. My wetsuit was really tight, couldnt breathe Then i try and breathe and end up drinking llike a gallon of Green Bay goodness accidentally. Now i really can't breathe. Me and Mike decide to turn around at the buoy and head back in. Confdence um no!....

UghI get to the car and then cant find the key. MIKE! Lil help here! Um Dave maybe check that pocket on your swim bag? Ok ya there it is. <Whew>! We then set the bikes up and rode while i desperately attempted to get my watch working. I ended up eventually getting it into bike mode but have zero confidence i can do this in race mode. Nice ride. Bike rode well and the road is really smoooooooth. Nice. But whats this? My freaking lower back hirts from the rock bed i slept in last night.
in the middle of the night i had to go to bathroom and some how accidentally turmed the heat on instead of the light. Wake up sweating aand dehydrated and with a pain in my back. Can't really ride aero! Confident? Nope.

we run like a mile which went ok. My hamstring that i hurt earlier this week stupidly playing basketball did not talk to me so that was good, but the back bothered me. Who knows maybe it will go away. Much of the run route was along the drive back to the hotels. Gee 13 miles is fffffffaaaaaaaaaarr! CONFIDENCE! :-)

Mike it was great seeing you! I will stop my whining right now and just go to bed. Im sure it will all be good tomorrow. We will chillax with the cooler of brewskies and have a great chuckle out of this! Glad you ae doing this with me! See you early tomorrow! Wave 10 rules!!!

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-07-21 9:11 PM
2012-07-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4323725

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

oriolepwr - 2012-07-21 9:51 PM Pre-race goings on....Last night after checking in, I take chaindropper out and start to clean set up and realize that my front derailler cable was shot as it would not shift. Called like the only bike shop in Door. They said if i could get my bike in early the next morning (today) they could work on it. Ok Deal! So got up early ate breaky and dropped off my high maintenance but SEXY bike and followed my lovely ladies around Fish creek while they spent a mini fortune shopping. Pciked up chaindropper from the shop they fixed her up nicely and $18 later i considered myself very lucky. Then met up with Mike and his nice family for lunch at Wilsons in Ephriam. Nice chat, good times and eats then iit was decided we would do a mini triathlon warmup/gear check You know.... Like for confidemce? Yup this is what happens when magical mys-tri tour trippers get together. Hilarity ensued. We pick up oir packets then put wetsuits on which took us forever all full of sand and balancing hopping on one leg in the surf. Can i get a bench around here ? Then we start swimming I start my eleventy billion dollar nasa inspired 910xt and proudly put it in tri mode. Some how it gets shut off. Maybe it was one of the infamous Green Bay white cap waves that turned it off or whatevs. But it stopped. My wetsuit was really tight, couldnt breathe Then i try and breathe and end up drinking llike a gallon of Green Bay goodness accidentally. Now i really can't breathe. Me and Mike decide to turn around at the buoy and head back in. Confdence um no!.... UghI get to the car and then cant find the key. MIKE! Lil help here! Um Dave maybe check that pocket on your swim bag? Ok ya there it is. ! We then set the bikes up and rode while i desperately attempted to get my watch working. I ended up eventually getting it into bike mode but have zero confidence i can do this in race mode. Nice ride. Bike rode well and the road is really smoooooooth. Nice. But whats this? My freaking lower back hirts from the rock bed i slept in last night. in the middle of the night i had to go to bathroom and some how accidentally turmed the heat on instead of the light. Wake up sweating aand dehydrated and with a pain in my back. Can't really ride aero! Confident? Nope. we run like a mile which went ok. My hamstring that i hurt earlier this week stupidly playing basketball did not talk to me so that was good, but the back bothered me. Who knows maybe it will go away. Much of the run route was along the drive back to the hotels. Gee 13 miles is fffffffaaaaaaaaaarr! CONFIDENCE! :-) Mike it was great seeing you! I will stop my whining right now and just go to bed. Im sure it will all be good tomorrow. We will chillax with the cooler of brewskies and have a great chuckle out of this! Glad you ae doing this with me! See you early tomorrow! Wave 10 rules!!!

Dave,

I know you're racing right now, but I think this is a good sign. I always do better during a race when my dress rehearsal is a disaster. I can't wait to hear how you and Mike did...keep us posted!!!

2012-07-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4323660

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

TLakatos1259 - 2012-07-21 8:25 PM My Race Report is up.  Now that I got the state Tri completed, I think I will ease up a bit and plan my next Tri for September.  There is an 8K in mid August that I may do.  But mainly I want to concentrate on loosing more weight and increasing my endurance, ie swim 500 m without stopping and running 5K without stopping.

Awesome job, Tom!! Good for you on utilizing the kayaks and being able to complete the swim. I know how hard it is to keep going after a tough swim!! It will only get easier!!

2012-07-22 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran

Sarah, Thanks for your comments.

Dave, I feel your pain of a tight wet suit.  Hope the race went well.

What I didn't mention:

The scum bag who stole my inner tube and tools out of my saddle pouch while I was swimming.  When the second person on the course said my bag was open, and I finally understood what they were saying, I was pissed.  Reach behind me to find a completely empty pouch.  Some how, I exclaimed a few things, then went back to hammering the bike ride.  Guess I'm getting into this racing thing.  Thankful I didn't get a flat and didn't give it another thought until after the race.

Now for today, I volunteered for the Oly race of the NJ state Tri.  I had another great day guiding the cyclist out, then back into transition.  Now for the most interesting thing:  Turns out the first guy that came back into the bike transition, with #1 on bib, also won the race.  OR, so he thought!  Turned out he cheated!  He was found of course at point on the bike loop, then some how did something with the run.  Later found out that he was disqualified, USAT event.  His parents were there and trying for sponsers.  He is a professional, yea right, triathlete.  NO SENSE BEING STUPID, UNLESS YOU SHOW IT! 

Next item, some poor guy comes flying out of tranistion, areo helmet, disc wheel, and all.  Makes the first right turn and pops his rear tire.  Stops and replaces the tube.  5 minutes later he is almost ready to mount on his bike, and POP, the tire goes again!  Fortunately, he had another tube, started to change it again.  Pumped it up, said a prayer, and he was on his way to a great round of aplause from everyone near by.  NEVER GIVE UP. 

Then a 3 person bike crash, bruised and all got up and finished.  NEVER GIVE UP!

2012-07-22 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4323725

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-07-21 8:51 PMPre-race goings on....Last night after checking in, I take chaindropper out and start to clean set up and realize that my front derailler cable was shot as it would not shift. Called like the only bike shop in Door. They said if i could get my bike in early the next morning (today) they could work on it. Ok Deal! So got up early ate breaky and dropped off my high maintenance but SEXY bike and followed my lovely ladies around Fish creek while they spent a mini fortune shopping. Pciked up chaindropper from the shop they fixed her up nicely and $18 later i considered myself very lucky.Then met up with Mike and his nice family for lunch at Wilsons in Ephriam. Nice chat, good times and eats then iit was decided we would do a mini triathlon warmup/gear check You know.... Like for confidemce? Yup this is what happens when magical mys-tri tour trippers get together. Hilarity ensued. We pick up oir packets then put wetsuits on which took us forever all full of sand and balancing hopping on one leg in the surf. Can i get a bench around here ? Then we start swimming I start my eleventy billion dollar nasa inspired 910xt and proudly put it in tri mode. Some how it gets shut off. Maybe it was one of the infamous Green Bay white cap waves that turned it off or whatevs. But it stopped. My wetsuit was really tight, couldnt breathe Then i try and breathe and end up drinking llike a gallon of Green Bay goodness accidentally. Now i really can't breathe. Me and Mike decide to turn around at the buoy and head back in. Confdence um no!.... UghI get to the car and then cant find the key. MIKE! Lil help here! Um Dave maybe check that pocket on your swim bag? Ok ya there it is. ! We then set the bikes up and rode while i desperately attempted to get my watch working. I ended up eventually getting it into bike mode but have zero confidence i can do this in race mode. Nice ride. Bike rode well and the road is really smoooooooth. Nice. But whats this? My freaking lower back hirts from the rock bed i slept in last night. in the middle of the night i had to go to bathroom and some how accidentally turmed the heat on instead of the light. Wake up sweating aand dehydrated and with a pain in my back. Can't really ride aero! Confident? Nope. we run like a mile which went ok. My hamstring that i hurt earlier this week stupidly playing basketball did not talk to me so that was good, but the back bothered me. Who knows maybe it will go away. Much of the run route was along the drive back to the hotels. Gee 13 miles is fffffffaaaaaaaaaarr! CONFIDENCE! :-) Mike it was great seeing you! I will stop my whining right now and just go to bed. Im sure it will all be good tomorrow. We will chillax with the cooler of brewskies and have a great chuckle out of this! Glad you ae doing this with me! See you early tomorrow! Wave 10 rules!!!
It was great meeting you and your family too Dave! You have a very nice family. Nice job out there today! Conditions were tough on the run for sure, but it was a beautiful course. It was nice hanging out afterward having a couple cold ones too. Hopefully we can race together again in the near future.
2012-07-22 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4324557

New user
Wauwatosa, WI

My Race Report for Racine is finally up. I needed a week to mentally recharge.  The good news is that I am already starting to think about what I can do next year! Laughing

I'm looking forward to some race reports from this weekend!

Rob

2012-07-23 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sounds like we've had some awesome racing going on. Great job guys. Can't wait to read all the rr. Will try and do that tomorrow.

Shelly

2012-07-25 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran

Today's Offer:

I received an email asking me to volunteer for the Inaugrial NYC Ironman Championship race this August 11th.

I signed up to work transition and gear bag organization between segments for the racers.  As a carrot,  I get a wristband to be one of the first to sign up for next years race.  Now we all know this "Orca" isn't ready for an Ironman; so, I am offering the wristband to my peeps.  The rub (no pun intended) is that you have to register in person on Sunday after the race; August 12th.  And there are a lot of positions left if you want to volunteer.

http://ironmanuschampionship.com/

May the Legs be with Us!

Tom

2012-07-25 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4296590

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Upcoming races:

Aug 4      River Cities Sprint Tri- Shelly

Sept 8     Alabama coastal Oly - Sarah

Sept 9     Ironman WI - Quincy

Oct         Sugarman Sprint Tri - Shelly

Oct 7      Chicago Marathon - Quincy, Alicia, Dave

Oct 28    Austin 70.3 - Sarah

Looks like you're up next, Shelly!!! We're cheering for you!!

2012-07-26 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, if Austin is 95 degrees, humid, in the middle of a swamp, with tiger mosquitoes that latch on and bite no matter how fast you think you're moving....then southern Mississippi has prepared me well. All I could think today during my run was "if you're going through hell, don't stop!"
2012-07-28 8:05 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
My long race report is here http://blog.ransick.org/2012/07/door-county-703.htmlif you have some time to kill :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51