BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-07-10 4:25 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

if it's a tight squeeze you can loosen the stem clamp and turn the whole cockpit down. I've had to do that a couple of times.

got the car back, ready to roll for this weekend. long bike for a sprint (16 miles) and short swim (250m). should be a good day for me with that combo...

2013-07-10 5:26 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Clempson

if it's a tight squeeze you can loosen the stem clamp and turn the whole cockpit down. I've had to do that a couple of times.

got the car back, ready to roll for this weekend. long bike for a sprint (16 miles) and short swim (250m). should be a good day for me with that combo...

Excellent.

Good news on the distances I always feel like if they had a medium length swim, long bike and super short run I'd be doing great!
2013-07-11 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Got an easy 12 mile ride in this morning with someone that lives across town that I met from BT. I have a sprint on Saturday and it has a shorter bike (12 miles) compared to the 16 that I had a few weeks ago. Really looking forward to redeeming myself on the swim, just have to make sure I sight more often and just go for the buoys. Only crappy part is that I registered as a Clydesdale (lifer here!) and the clyde swim wave goes off 7th out of 8 waves, behind ALL the females and every male AG except 50+. I expect there to be a lot of people in the water in front of me, and on the road. It will be nice because I (assume) that I'll be moving past a fair amount of people on the bike so that will keep it interesting, but I'm not psyched to have to navigate through the bodies in the water. If I go with typical AG registration, which I still can change, I'd be in the 2nd wave only behind the elites. I don't think I'd be doing much passing in that wave but it would be interesting to be chasing the entire time.
2013-07-11 8:00 AM

User image

Cleveland OH

Originally posted by smithat05

Race Report is up
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

nice race, when i was reading it i was wondering how you drank all that fluid on the bike without it bothering you... then i got to the run report. sounds like a tough course with a double swim loop with strong current and a head wind on the bike.

in your race report you mentioned maybe getting a profile designs BTA bottle, take a look at the torhans bottle too while you are at it. they don't use the sponge like profile designs does, plus they make a mount for it to clip your garmin off the back of it.

Yeah I have been hearing a lot how bottles on your frame is like the worst thing you can do. I do believe i will only need 16 oz for Oly distance races, I am thinking I will have just water in it and Will just eat a GU and a Cliff bar. I just don't know if I want to get the specific aero bottle or just fasten a cage up there torpedo style. I will check out the Torhans bottle though. Have been leaning towards the PD Aero bottle because it looks like the mount is pretty adjustable to fit my clip on aero bars.
I was so surprised when I started running and my stomach just hurt so bad, I knew I could run faster but I just wanted to keep the cramps at a standstill and not get worse. I have 1 more Oly this year then a half Mary in Oct.
2013-07-12 7:27 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Got an easy 12 mile ride in this morning with someone that lives across town that I met from BT. I have a sprint on Saturday and it has a shorter bike (12 miles) compared to the 16 that I had a few weeks ago. Really looking forward to redeeming myself on the swim, just have to make sure I sight more often and just go for the buoys. Only crappy part is that I registered as a Clydesdale (lifer here!) and the clyde swim wave goes off 7th out of 8 waves, behind ALL the females and every male AG except 50+. I expect there to be a lot of people in the water in front of me, and on the road. It will be nice because I (assume) that I'll be moving past a fair amount of people on the bike so that will keep it interesting, but I'm not psyched to have to navigate through the bodies in the water. If I go with typical AG registration, which I still can change, I'd be in the 2nd wave only behind the elites. I don't think I'd be doing much passing in that wave but it would be interesting to be chasing the entire time.

I ended up in a similar wave at Augusta last year... I didn't have a "great" race by any means regardless, but I at least partially blamed it on being so far behind at the start. If I ever had a choice, I'd rather BE passed all day than try to do the passing. YMMV of course.
2013-07-13 12:48 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Went up with a friend to Lake Erie, where my next Tri is on Aug 4th. Had a trainer gal there. Gave us some nice pointers on doing a beach start and getting out of the water. Swam a mile total, stopped a lot the first 1/2 mile to talk about diff things.
Ran the run course afterward. did 5.5 miles of it in 43 mins. I am freaking tired, My wife ran 6 miles pushing the stroller this morning, she is asleep on the couch beside me.

2013-07-14 11:24 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Ugh. Terrible race yesterday. I slacked on the training over the holiday and vacation and went in way under prepared. No excuses, I just sucked. I'm not expecting to ever win a race, but I just didn't do what I thought I was capable of, but looking back on even my expectations it's like I'm expecting a miracle on race day or something, even though I was only off by 4 minutes, it feels like hours. I really have to think about stuff for a while to see where I'm at and what I can expect out of myself right now.
2013-07-14 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Finished 6th overall at my race this morning, 2nd in my AG. Lost it in transitions. It has become clear to me that I really need to work on my T1 times... race report to come soon.
2013-07-14 6:54 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

Ugh. Terrible race yesterday. I slacked on the training over the holiday and vacation and went in way under prepared. No excuses, I just sucked. I'm not expecting to ever win a race, but I just didn't do what I thought I was capable of, but looking back on even my expectations it's like I'm expecting a miracle on race day or something, even though I was only off by 4 minutes, it feels like hours. I really have to think about stuff for a while to see where I'm at and what I can expect out of myself right now.

Its very hard to get enough time to train, I know what you mean with the house,Kids, Wife, Moving, etc.

Take it one step at a time, you will find the time and you will get better. It takes a lot of practice.

2013-07-14 6:54 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

Finished 6th overall at my race this morning, 2nd in my AG. Lost it in transitions. It has become clear to me that I really need to work on my T1 times... race report to come soon.

Nice, 6th overall thats awesome!!!
2013-07-16 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

that's awesome! Gotta work on that flying squirrel

2013-07-16 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

No worries, every race can't be a PR. Sometimes life > triathlon!
2013-07-16 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Had an OWS race (1 mile) Saturday. My time was extremely slow (32:05) for my fitness and training paces. Still managed 5th OA and 1st in my AG so I assume there was a little extra distance (that or I just can't sight worth a crap... which is also possible )
2013-07-17 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Ok, had a few days to digest. First, sorry for the negativity in that post. I don't want to come off as that guy that throws his clubs after a bad shot or something like that. I didn't need to take time ot see where I'm at, I just needed a few minutes to HTFU and figure out my training. I don't want another race like that one. I know every race can't be your best, but I can at least feel like I gave it my all. I've set some more obtainable goals for my next race which is Aug 11th, so almost 4 solid weeks. I've written up my workouts and tried to mix things up so the majority of the workouts have a purpose instead of just getting out the door, although on the run it's more just building up after whatever was up with my hip.

Kyle, that is a beastly time on your race. Great bike, in the rain too? Awesome.
2013-07-17 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Had an OWS race (1 mile) Saturday. My time was extremely slow (32:05) for my fitness and training paces. Still managed 5th OA and 1st in my AG so I assume there was a little extra distance (that or I just can't sight worth a crap... which is also possible )

congrats on the swim, i've been wanting to do some OW races around here but haven't gotten around to it. sounds like it was a little long or a little rough.
2013-07-17 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Ok, had a few days to digest. First, sorry for the negativity in that post. I don't want to come off as that guy that throws his clubs after a bad shot or something like that. I didn't need to take time ot see where I'm at, I just needed a few minutes to HTFU and figure out my training. I don't want another race like that one. I know every race can't be your best, but I can at least feel like I gave it my all. I've set some more obtainable goals for my next race which is Aug 11th, so almost 4 solid weeks. I've written up my workouts and tried to mix things up so the majority of the workouts have a purpose instead of just getting out the door, although on the run it's more just building up after whatever was up with my hip.

Kyle, that is a beastly time on your race. Great bike, in the rain too? Awesome.

thanks, i was pretty happy with my overall placement regardless of losing my AG in transition times.

that's the best way to come off a bad race, take a look back, plan, and move forward. you gain more insight from bad race experiences sometimes than good i think.

2013-07-17 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
not sure who all out there is training/racing with power but i think im going to get something in the next week or so. Leaning towards the Powertap G3 since the garmin vector is never coming out.

the only decision i have to make is to get a wheelset already built up with it, or get it put onto my Ksyrium Elites which i do all my training on and could get a cover for on race day. found a set of cosmic carbone SL with a G3 for ~1300, but the wheels are a few years old and i do a lot of hilly/mountain rides. either way i will need the aero cover i guess.
2013-07-17 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Usually you don't save much/any building up a PT wheel yourself, although you do get the exact wheel you want which can be worth a lot.

Personally, I use my PT for training, bike races and tri's... so I wanted something nigh indestructible. It's a bit heavier (28spoke) than I would like for the bike races, but I thought it was a worthy compromise to not have to worry about breaking it on a training ride.
2013-07-17 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Usually you don't save much/any building up a PT wheel yourself, although you do get the exact wheel you want which can be worth a lot.

Personally, I use my PT for training, bike races and tri's... so I wanted something nigh indestructible. It's a bit heavier (28spoke) than I would like for the bike races, but I thought it was a worthy compromise to not have to worry about breaking it on a training ride.

found out that my ksyrium elite cannot have powertap added due to the spokes, so that ends that option. looking at a wheel with steel spokes and aluminum rim now for durability, as you stated.
2013-07-17 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
well its done. i ordered a set of wheels from wheelbuilder.com, got in on the le tour pricing they have going. didn't go with mavics, got zipps instead.

now i have to get back to working OT to pay for these things.
2013-07-18 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
sweet. What did you end up building? Zipps are a good starting point

2013-07-18 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Built a set of Zipp 101's with the Powertap G3 hub, non ceramic. I increased the spoke count to 24 Rear/20 Front since i plan on doing pretty much all my riding on them and i want them to be pretty strong. Also got the Sapim CX-Ray bladed spokes for both the front and rear and threw in some Zipp skewers for front and back. should have them and the cover i ordered with them in two weeks or so.

With the special pricing bundle they have right now for powertap builds you just pay for the powertap and they give you a wheel and build it for you. Not bad.
2013-07-18 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
excellent choices all around on the build. Should be a killer setup.
2013-07-18 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
thanks!

had my first Time Trial tonight.... all was well up until i went to hop on my bike and warm up. tire was rubbing the frame badly, and i have no idea why. i think there was a lot of excess moisture in my wheel and after sitting the full sun with 100 degree heat it caused some sort of warpage on the tire wall or rim or carbon fairing or something.

anywho... after messing with it a lot and finally getting the tire to turn it was 2 minutes til i rolled out. i could hear it rubbing when i started, but by the end all was fine, and its working fine right now too. so no idea what was going on. not sure i paced hard enough, but i was more worried about my frame and my wheel locking up at +20mph and sending me to the ground.

ended up winning the CAT4/5 division and got a sweet carbon cage/water bottle combo. the local wheel vendor who initially helped me out gave me a free shirt as i was leaving too so that was cool.
2013-07-19 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
awesome! I'm hoping to win the TT in my omnium (actually I hope I win the whole thing haha) next weekend.

Rubbing huh... Did you get the wheel seated in the drops straight before you cranked the skewer down? I have to be careful about that on my bikes with rear facing dropouts.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39