BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-10-22 10:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Article worth reading--ESPN Triathlon expose
Originally posted by k9car363

target="_blank">http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9838319/trouble-surface

If you have never swam in conditions similar to what you see or if you are uncomfortable or have ANY reservation with what you see, then DON'T GO IN THE WATER!  If you have the opportunity to warm up on or near the race course prior to the start, then take the time to do it.  But please, DON'T blame someone else because you freely choose to enter the water.

Sorry, I will step down off my soap box now.

Right on Scott. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Any of us could drop dead tomorrow or die in race. But it's a result of an individual decisions and each of us are ultimately responsible. Don't rely on race directors, USA Triathlon or anyone else to know your body better than you!

Edited by lutzman 2013-10-22 10:31 PM

2013-10-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by lutzman

target="_blank">http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9838319/trouble-surface

If you have never swam in conditions similar to what you see or if you are uncomfortable or have ANY reservation with what you see, then DON'T GO IN THE WATER!  If you have the opportunity to warm up on or near the race course prior to the start, then take the time to do it.  But please, DON'T blame someone else because you freely choose to enter the water.

Sorry, I will step down off my soap box now.

Right on Scott. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Any of us could drop dead tomorrow or die in race. But it's a result of an individual decisions and each of us are ultimately responsible. Don't rely on race directors, USA Triathlon or anyone else to know your body better than you!

Fortunately for race directors and the governing body, most triathletes fall in the personal responsibility category. What drives me crazy on stories like this is the lack of perspective. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that driving to the race (and driving home) is as dangerous statistically as the race itself. Regardless, I certainly believe that training for and competing in triathlons has saved many more lives than we've lost. Of course, that doesn't sell papers.

That being said, we all have to remain vigilant regarding safety, including race directors. In a race I was in this spring, I can say that there were some logistical issues, that when combined with very cold water, probably made for a less safe environment. In particular, 3 minutes (I think - bottom line, not enough time) between wave starts, where each group had to walk down narrow sloped decking, turn a corner and walk another 50 feet or so, and jump in the river and get to a starting line that was a bit of a distance away against the current. People were still jumping off the platform when the horn sounded. With water temp around 57 degrees, to me, the environment created the conditions where stress on a body would be high (weather was cool and raining - which ironically probably helped with lessening the shock factor). Now, while I take full responsibility for entering the water myself, the race director could have improved the situation by creating more time between waves so that people didn't feel rushed/stressed on the narrow path, jumping in the water or getting to the start line. And, in the heat (errr... freeze) of the moment, people were rushing, but as far as I know, no problems that particular day. But what a miserable day of racing... lol! Of course, my wife only said to me about 10 times, "you know, just because you paid for it, you don't have to do it."

Stu
2013-10-27 11:17 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Subject: Duathlon Nationals
Hey Gang:

I'm on my way home from Tucson and the Duathlon Nationals. It was quite a fun race with a very competitive field. More on this in a moment

For those of you who've never tried a Duathlon I highly recommend it. For some reason I always stayed away from Duathlon. I don't know why. Perhaps it lacks the allure of triathlon. Or it could be this quote I saw from one individual on why he will never do a Duathlon: "I would rather drown swimming than run twice." But, to help my race training I jumped into Duathlon this year because there are no local triathlons going until late May and I was looking for ways to build race fitness. And these events are fabulous for that if nothing else.

So, we had a great field in Tucson. 8 of the top 10 ranked Duathletes in the U.S. in the 55-59 age group were signed up. The winner was 13th overall with absolutely blazing times. He pushed 17 minutes on the first 5k on a fairly difficult course with a steep 600 yard climb at the end. He hit about 24 mph on the bike and 18 minutes on the second 5k. Something to shoot for!

I had a decent day and finished 8th. My first 5K was 20:07, 5th for the AG. I was 22 mph on the rolling bike course (11th) and 22:20 on the second 5k (8th). That hill nearly killed me and it took all I had to keep slogging along versus stopping to walk. In all it was quite fun with a lot of great athletes. My wife wants to me to go to Duathlon Worlds in Spain so she can run support team. We'll see on that.

That's the end of my racing for 2013. It's been a pretty fun year. Time to start planning for 2014.

Best to all,

Steve
2013-10-27 7:49 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Contests!

Weight was only down 0.6 pounds this week.  James, I defer to you - you can figure out what to do with that!

Training time was 452.25 minutes.  15 points?

2013-10-27 7:57 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Duathlon Nationals

I am trying REALLY hard to get to where running and I are friends.  Not there yet!  So take this with a grain of salt . . .

Or it could be this quote I saw from one individual on why he will never do a Duathlon: "I would rather drown swimming than run twice." 

I believe I will second that sentiment!!!

My first 5K was 20:07, 5th for the AG. I was 22 mph on the rolling bike course (11th) and 22:20 on the second 5k (8th).

Steve, really?  20:07 and 22:20?  Just so you know, I hate you!  Seriously though, good job, I have to be driving my car to go that fast.

2013-10-27 8:04 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple

Of course, my wife only said to me about 10 times, "you know, just because you paid for it, you don't have to do it."

Our wives (Spouses?) looking out for us!  If I am sore after a particularly hard workout, my wife never fails to say, "Why do you do this to yourself?  You know, you really don't have to push yourself so hard, and you certainly don't have to try and kill yourself."

Can't wait for the day we are getting on the plane, bound for Kona, when I can smile and say, "THIS is why!"

2013-10-27 10:11 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Duathlon Nationals

I am trying REALLY hard to get to where running and I are friends.  Not there yet!  So take this with a grain of salt . . .

Or it could be this quote I saw from one individual on why he will never do a Duathlon: "I would rather drown swimming than run twice." 

I believe I will second that sentiment!!!

My first 5K was 20:07, 5th for the AG. I was 22 mph on the rolling bike course (11th) and 22:20 on the second 5k (8th).

Steve, really?  20:07 and 22:20?  Just so you know, I hate you!  Seriously though, good job, I have to be driving my car to go that fast.

Thank you Scott. If I could swim as fast as you my run times in triathlon would be irrelevant.

Steve
2013-10-28 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Contests!
1 lb down again this week and 330 min of exercise. I think that adds to 20.5 points for the week + 5 point bonus for at least staying even = 25.5 points for the week. Basically, my goal is to make sure I'm always over 15 points... every week. If I do that, I'll be satisfied. Just gotta stop the slow gain cycle. Of course, this week I hit the road again... so we'll see.

Nice job on the duathlon, Steve. If I could run like you, I'd consider it... more likely to do a swim/bike-a-thon (aquathan?). I'd gladly give up the run... I always drop a bunch of spots on the run in the triathlon.

Scott, one thing to look forward to on the running... as you lose weight, you'll be amazed what a difference it makes - a really nice reinforcing behavior. Unfortunately, right now, I'm experiencing the opposite as I'm about 15 lbs over where I was a couple of years ago. Everything hurts more, less stamina, slower. And yes, Kona would be a nice reward for spouses. The best I could do was getting away for a weekend with my wife's sister's family... and sadly, that was the weekend of the horrid weather. They all had a good time though :-) You go Kona!!!

Cheers,
Stu
2013-10-28 4:56 PM

User image

Regular
if laptop goes dead lemme report wt. 130 nc
5 points this week.
2013-10-28 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
Stu:

Down 1.5 lbs for the week. 240 minutes of exercise time.

Steve
2013-10-29 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Austins IronMan
So I spectated the half-Iron last Sunday. Knew a couple people in it. One guy from our Masters team at the pool completed it in 7:55:00..pretty inspiring since he could not even swim 25 yards a year ago!

Saw lots of 60ish guys and gals coming into bike dismount.

I bought an Ironman tee for 4.99 and went back home. Likely my son will take the shirt. hehe subliminal influence. He is stalling about selling his tri bike.

Had nice 50 min trail run today. We are expecting storms..wanted get that in this morning before all heck breaks loose.

My dental pain is history for now anyway.

2013-10-30 2:40 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Stu:

Down 1.5 lbs for the week. 240 minutes of exercise time.

Steve

Sorry for being late, a really hectic week and trying to stay up to watch red sox games.

Had another bad week, I hurt my back while wrestling a washing machine , guess who won.

Hoping to get back in the pool next week.

Nice to see you guys still keeping on track,

(Gray GG 10-28-2013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Gray GG 10-28-2013.jpg (32KB - 12 downloads)
2013-10-30 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
argggg...blimey LOOK at that point spread.

I can wrastle steve...or do an across Texas bike tour for a week to catch ..ya'll two point leaders.

2013-10-31 5:45 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Here I sit this Halloween night trying not to eat any candy. I am especially addicted to reeses peanutbutter cups and milkyway bars.

If you know my sweet tooth, this is going to take a will of steel. Wish me luck.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-31 5:46 PM
2013-10-31 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Here I sit this Halloween night trying not to eat any candy. I am especially addicted to reeses peanutbutter cups and milkyway bars.

If you know my sweet tooth, this is going to take a will of steel. Wish me luck.

No help from me. I'm eating pizza, drinking beer and watching my college team on ESPN.
2013-11-01 6:16 AM

User image

Regular
um...stu can u give me five w/o points for last week please?

2013-11-01 6:34 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY Here I sit this Halloween night trying not to eat any candy. I am especially addicted to reeses peanutbutter cups and milkyway bars. If you know my sweet tooth, this is going to take a will of steel. Wish me luck.

My weakness is Candy Corn.  I suggested to my wife we avoid having any in the house, but somehow it magically appeared.  So do I just go crazy and finish the bag or do I stretch it out over a few days?  Yeah, I know, I could just NOT eat it, but that doesn't sound very likely does it? 

2013-11-01 6:38 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

No help from me. I'm eating pizza, drinking beer and watching my college team on ESPN.

If it is GOOD beer, then you are OK!

2013-11-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by dustytrails

um...stu can u give me five w/o points for last week please?

Done

Everyone - please feel free to correct me if I add your points incorrectly.

Thanks!

BTW - Holding strong on not attacking the Halloween candy. This would be a first Scott but after looking at the contest board I think you can see why.

Good thing the kids are giving half of their candy away to charity. The school collects it and sends to needy children in other parts of the world. Pretty cool.

Hopefully I will be back in the pool next week. Might actually try and get in another OWS temp is down to 54F but the surf has been up so it will be a wait and see. I am OK with 1 to 2 ft seas but start questioning my abilities in a 2-4 ft chop.

Whats up for the weekend?

2013-11-01 12:05 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
)

You know we all hate you (just kidding) with your pizza, beer and your sub 21 minute 5K runs.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-11-01 12:06 PM
2013-11-03 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Back from conference. Saving grace was being away for Halloween... so no candy for me :-) That was a good strategy! Unfortunately, eating out at the conference plus a couple of long drives with requisite road food I'm sure didn't help. We'll find out Monday morning. Anyway, one of the dreaded 3 eating holidays is behind us (perhaps literally). Now if I could just do something about my pathetic college football teams - sigh.

Did a 5K yesterday and hope to get in a long(ish) run today and some chainsawing. First hard freeze in the forecast for tonight, so it looks like we're heading into winter here.

Thanks for compiling results, James. For whatever reason, this contest seems to be keeping me focused for now. Happy Sunday everyone!

Stu

2013-11-03 2:53 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Injuries Stink
Hi people,

Finally a positive number, lost the pound I gained last week so I am putting in for 15 points. For me to do this during Halloween week was a big accomplishment for me.

Stinks though, I am still not able to work out. I run,bike and swim all summer and no injuries. Decide to rest a tight calf muscle and I hurt my back working on a washer machine plus I think I am starting to get plantar fasciitis. I have been walking about 50 minutes a day back and forth from the train station to work and my heel has developed a constant burning bone bruise like pain. I wear good walking shoes but I think I may start wearing my running sneakers and maybe drive into work (parking is very expensive in Boston) a couple of days a week for a few weeks and hope the pain dissipates. Anyone here ever have platar fasciitis? If so, any advice?

Starting to get a little down because before these injuries I was working out at least an hour a day with two hours on Saturdays. I really miss it but I promise I will not do anything stupid trying to go back too early. The one good thing is I am really starting to focus on my diet so I don't balloon up.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

James
2013-11-03 4:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Down 0.2 pounds this week.  Have no idea how to score that.

Worked out 213 minutes.  Not a full blown taper, but backed off in preparation for the HITS Lake Havasu Sprint next weekend.

2013-11-03 4:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple 

. . . plus a couple of long drives with requisite road food I'm sure didn't help.

I drove from Indiana to California and back inside of a week early this year, then two weeks later made the move from IN to CA.  Something like 6,800 miles in less than 3-weeks.  Yeah, that road food is tough.  I think it added an inch or more plus at least 15 pounds . . . or was it not working out during all the traveling.  Either way, it certainly wasn't like the road trips when I was in my 20's.

2013-11-03 4:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Injuries Stink

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Hi people,

Finally a positive number, lost the pound I gained last week so I am putting in for 15 points. For me to do this during Halloween week was a big accomplishment for me.

Stinks though, I am still not able to work out. I run,bike and swim all summer and no injuries. Decide to rest a tight calf muscle and I hurt my back working on a washer machine plus I think I am starting to get plantar fasciitis. I have been walking about 50 minutes a day back and forth from the train station to work and my heel has developed a constant burning bone bruise like pain. I wear good walking shoes but I think I may start wearing my running sneakers and maybe drive into work (parking is very expensive in Boston) a couple of days a week for a few weeks and hope the pain dissipates. Anyone here ever have platar fasciitis? If so, any advice?

Starting to get a little down because before these injuries I was working out at least an hour a day with two hours on Saturdays. I really miss it but I promise I will not do anything stupid trying to go back too early. The one good thing is I am really starting to focus on my diet so I don't balloon up. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

James

Hey James!

Hang in there my friend.  As one that has gone through his fair share of medical stuff and injuries this past year, I can only say, "This too shall pass."

There are likely things that you can do to help maintain your fitness level.  It is amazing what you can accomplish with a couple of 10-pound dumb bells.  I picked a couple up at Walmart for about $20 last year.  Or maybe you can get in to an Aqua Class if you are a member of a gym.  I know, that is where all the "OLD people" go, but it is a valid form of working out if you are battling an injury.  Swimming?  A spin class?  Maybe a Yoga class?  Any of those things can provide exercise, maybe even a full on workout, without further injuring your back or heel.  Every time I have been down with an injury, I think back to when I was swimming and a teammate literally broke his neck.  Every night, there he was, braces around his neck, on a kickboard so as not to lose any fitness while his broken body healed.  He found a way and you too can find a way to maintain fitness if you want it bad enough. 

Focusing on nutrition will likely prove a positive outcome.  You know that truly is the fourth part of triathlon.

As to coming back to early.  Have you talked with a physician?  Remember, there is a fine line between coming back too early and using injury as an excuse as to WHY you AREN'T coming back.  Your doctor, and certainly a sports medicine physician if you have access to one, can provide expert guidance.

Sorry about the "tough love."  I know that sometimes for me, hearing a brutally honest, blunt statement it what I really need the most.

You CAN do this!

(Edited for spelling.  Really!  I are a collage gradueight!)

Edited by k9car363 2013-11-03 4:51 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37